• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

When GT5 came out I was excited because I hadn't had many games to use with my G27 wheel (Only Ferrari Challenge and Shift) but now I don't have a wheel and not sure if I will enjoy GT6 with the DS because the difference between the pad and wheel were night and day.

I bet I will cave next weekend, been dying for a good driving game.

You should be fine. Kaz even plays GT with the DPad when he's not using a wheel.

Dead Man

Awesome OP Norante, nice work! Going to wait a while before picking this one up, first time ever for a GT. Feels bad. I need Bathurst, but the rest of it is not really interesting me that much.

Also, replying from the old thread in here since we have a nice shiny new OP:
Pagani Huayra at Bathhurst - Night race into sunrise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APU5ZqezOtc
Ugh. That sound :(

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm1H9D8Ephg&t=2m46s

amazing video on mute

Heh :)

Zinthar

Anyone know when the review embargo is up? I'm reasonably optimistic about how this will turn out, but am slightly concerned still about loading times (even though that was a focus of GT6). The amount of time I've spent looking at loading screens in GT5 is longer than the entire length of most games I've played, and I refuse to do that again.

Kalamari

I'm not particularly enthused over the microtransactions, but since credits are rumored to come pretty easily, I think I might pick this up. I hope it's good!

Bandit1

Anyone know when the review embargo is up? I'm reasonably optimistic about how this will turn out, but am slightly concerned still about loading times (even though that was a focus of GT6). The amount of time I've spent looking at loading screens in GT5 is longer than the entire length of most games I've played, and I refuse to do that again.

I heard the embargo is up next friday when the game releases, but I don't know for sure.

So while we wait for this beast to land for us 7/6 days later, which car is your favorite in the series guys?

My ACE and favorite car is the RX-7 Spirit R.

The Nissan GTR r34 is another favorite of mine.

So why isn't this on PS4?

You are supposed to make early adopters excited for their purchase, not make them feel they are far too ahead of the game when main entry series are still being released on the previous iteration of the console.

What is the point?

FStop7

Banned
I was watching a video of Willow Springs in GT6. It looks very close to the real thing, I've actually driven on that track.

Zinthar

You are supposed to make early adopters excited for their purchase, not make them feel they are far too ahead of the game when main entry series are still being released on the previous iteration of the console.

What is the point?

To make money on selling the game -- a boatload of money. Gran Turismo has a wide-ranging fanbase, and GT5 sold 10.7 million copies, which makes it the best-selling PS3 game ever. GTA:V is on pace to catch it sometime next year, but it's not guaranteed.

Additionally, Polyphony already had a PS3 engine and have been developing the game for years. Even if they had planned a PS4 release for GT6 from the start, it's unlikely that they'd have managed to get it out in time for launch given how long their typical cycle is.

Donthizz#

I'm going to skip this one, can't go back to playing on the ps3 after experiencing the quad. Hopefully GT7 won't take too long. sorry KAZ.

Bandit1

So while we wait for this beast to land for us 7/6 days later, which car is your favorite in the series guys?

I'll play. I don't know about in the series as a whole, but in GT5 I had a R35 GTR that I eventually built up to 900+ hp. I used it in tons of races. 4wd/supercar championship/Japanese championship maybe dream car championship as well. I could outrun all the Super GT Supras and GTRs and some other race cars with it. The car was pretty easy to handle with AWD. Lots of bang for the buck.

From here on out it's going to be the Trans Am though. I know it won't be nearly as fast but I don't care! In case you couldn't tell by my avatar :p

benzy

Awesome OT

Cry_and_clap.gif

I've had a soft spot for the Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo since GT1.

saladine1

Awesome OP Norante, nice work! Going to wait a while before picking this one up, first time ever for a GT. Feels bad. I need Bathurst, but the rest of it is not really interesting me that much.

Also, replying from the old thread in here since we have a nice shiny new OP:

Ugh. That sound :(

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm1H9D8Ephg&t=2m46s

Heh :)

It's going to be quite hard and sad to listen to the cars in GT6 after FM5 but I'm trying to block that emotion out simply because I can use a wheel, and because of the variation of weather and night and racing disciplines and the amount of cars and the amount of tracks.

It's a good time to be a racing fan.

Honey Bunny

To make money on selling the game -- a boatload of money. Gran Turismo has a wide-ranging fanbase, and GT5 sold 10.7 million copies, which makes it the best-selling PS3 game ever. GTA:V is on pace to catch it sometime next year, but it's not guaranteed.

Additionally, Polyphony already had a PS3 engine and have been developing the game for years. Even if they had planned a PS4 release for GT6 from the start, it's unlikely that they'd have managed to get it out in time for launch given how long their typical cycle is.

GTA V will catch it easily, and COD games will have sold more than GT5, but otherwise you are correct :)

edit: nice OT btw, very clean

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
When GT5 came out I was excited because I hadn't had many games to use with my G27 wheel (Only Ferrari Challenge and Shift) but now I don't have a wheel and not sure if I will enjoy GT6 with the DS because the difference between the pad and wheel were night and day.

I bet I will cave next weekend, been dying for a good driving game.

I never had much of an issue with the DS3 with 5.

It'd be nice if the DS4 works with 6 though.

hardvibes

Any improvements in the sound department?
http://www.gtplanet.net/new-gt6-engine-sounds-could-included-in-game-update/
Polyphony Digital’s new engine sounds likely won’t be included in Gran Turismo 6 when the game is released this December. However, they could be changed in a future game update, according to an interview with Kazunori Yamauchi from EuroGamer.

kazunori-yamauchi-thumb“I think I mentioned this in the past, but we’re really working to change the fundamental way that the engine sound works,” Kazunori Yamauchi said during a press session at Polyphony Digital’s Tokyo office. “Right now I have a feeling that it might not make it for day one for GT6.”

When pressed on updating the sounds via update, Yamauchi responded that “There’s a good possibility that we might do this.”

Kazunori last mentioned the game’s new engine sounds in my interview with him at E3 in June, where he confirmed the sounds in the game demos were placeholders, and that Polyphony was working on generating the sounds in “a completely different way”.

ahuffman

Banned
This game looks so impressive that I really want to pick it up. However I have never played a GT before, and I tend to prefer more arcade type driving games. I have enjoyed Forza so far and feel comfortable playing it. Any thoughts on whether I should get this?

Zinthar

GTA V will catch it easily, and COD games will have sold more than GT5, but otherwise you are correct :)

edit: nice OT btw, very clean

It looks like only MW3 sold more copies than GT5 among CoD games, but the data for CoD is estimated and the margin is close enough that a miscalculation could result in it being behind. The current estimate for Black Ops 2 has it pretty much even with GT5; the other CoD's are all behind.

Remember that we're only talking about the PS3 SKU of the game and the 360 version of CoD is the better seller.

OmegaDL50

What is the point?

You also need to consider that GT6 was in development before even before PS4 devkits where shipped out so it's not like PD was going to scrap the existing work they already did and shift development to a console with a smaller userbase.

The PS3 has roughly 80 million consoles sold worldwide, in comparison with the PS4 only having 1 million thus far. So it's a given that GT6 will sell far more on the PS3 because of this.

Then there is the fact there hasn't ever been a GT game released on any Sony console hardware at launch due Kaz's perfectionist mentality towards the game, and I wouldn't expect this from him considering PD will take their time learning the workings of the PS4 hardware before they release a game for it.

Top Bottom