• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Review Thread

My first time on the track was a disaster. I hit the wall three times. I spent more time off the track than on it. I even wound up driving the wrong way at one point. My lack of digital driving skills is without question. Yet, here I am reviewing Gran Turismo 6, Polyphony Digital’s latest entry in its long-running “Real Driving Simulator” franchise.
b7e.jpg
... comes to mind, haha

It's ok guys, people can review games in genres they don't usually play. Just take them with a grain of salt of course.

Oublieux

OMFG! They still haven't fixed the sound?!! WTF, Kaz??? I think team Evo needs to fly over with a medic and test your ears before showing you how it's done! Then you will get a 10 from Polygon for GT7 and I can kill myself, since I would have seen everything.

"I think I mentioned this in the past, but we’re really working to change the fundamental way that the engine sound works,” Kazunori Yamauchi said during a press session at Polyphony Digital’s Tokyo office. “Right now I have a feeling that it might not make it for day one for GT6."

Zoggy

lmaooo at that 65/100 review.

mind you i have no interest in the GT franchise, hate sims and the last GT i even played was 2 on the ps1 (played the demo and was like this sucks and went back to nfs)

but his review is incredibly unprofessional, its basically what i would say if i had to review this game.

As a nonracing fan, there’s a lot about it I still don’t understand. What are performance points and why are they important? I have no idea what torque is. I have no idea what an exhaust manifold is or why it improves my car’s racing ability.

yeah same here, i'm not a car enthusiast or even a racing fan, the only ones i play are burnout.

but then he says this
Admittedly, some of this information is available in the game,but I didn’t care enough to look for it

what? WHAT!?!?!?

No mention of micro transactions ? It's forza 5 all over again.

Also no one tested multi ? Surely scores should reflect an unfinished review

IN&OUT

Banned
from gamesradar review:

+Insane amount of top-quality content
+Brilliantly fun driving model
+Gorgeous visuals with day/night transitions
+Loads of racing surfaces and wet weather
- Questionable AI and difficulty balancing
- Still no meaningful damage modelling

Bolded is all I care about in a racing game. PD are KINGS

Larson

Banned
Gamereactor Norway/Danmark/Germany 6/10
Gamereactor Spain, Finland, Sweden 5/10

Ouch, they are complain about that they are too true to the series, start slow, clumsy menus, continuing old mistakes and poor artificial intelligence.

VentureBeat said:
As a nonracing fan, there’s a lot about it I still don’t understand. What are performance points and why are they important? I have no idea what torque is. I have no idea what an exhaust manifold is or why it improves my car’s racing ability.

Admittedly, some of this information is available in the game,but I didn’t care enough to look for it

I can't even... What

Even on hardware from 2006, GT6 manages native 1080p, 60fps

* As long as you don't drive in cockpit view at 1080p which seems to suffer big time performance wise.

Polygon mentioned the microtransactions but state that its being set aside along with multiplayer until they can get their hands on quality time with the day one patch.

bombshell

From Polygon's 9/10 review:

Online servers and functionality are being enabled in a day one patch for Gran Turismo 6, which means we were unable to try the online portions of the game during our review. This also includes the ability to purchase in-game currency via microtransactions. We'll be testing these features beginning today and will update our review if they significantly impact our assessment of the game.

did you play it to make such claim? butthurt much?
I'm going off personal experience with the demo and initial reports from people who have played the game, both here on GAF and GTPlanet. If you plan on playing this game from cockpit view you're going to want to go 720p

Jump to conclusions much?

level44

So Venture Beat put a low score because the author was too stupid to understand the game.

Fantastic journalism...

UNCMark

Banned
did you play it to make such claim? butthurt much?

Jeez dude, relax.

I'm going off personal experience with the demo and initial reports from people who have played the game, both here on GAF and GTPlanet. If you plan on playing this game from cockpit view you're going to want to go 720p

Jump to conclusions much?

So the demo was representative of the final game in this regard? That's too bad. Cockpit view is my favorite in most racing games.

bombshell

lmaooo at that 65/100 review.

mind you i have no interest in the GT franchise, hate sims and the last GT i even played was 2 on the ps1 (played the demo and was like this sucks and went back to nfs)

but his review is incredibly unprofessional, its basically what i would say if i had to review this game.

yeah same here, i'm not a car enthusiast or even a racing fan, the only ones i play are burnout.

but then he says this

what? WHAT!?!?!?

The author's name is Stefanie, so I think it's a she. Maybe it explains the bad driving? :p

Gaming press these days seems ridiculously all over the map...probably time enough to retire metacritic...I mean how can one review give a 9 and another a 5? Seems reviewers don't have much more clue than user reviews...

jabuseika

You call that a review?!

Reviewer should be ashamed.

"Hey I'm not a shooter fan, and I keep dying in BF4, I can't be bothered to look up help to make me a better player of shooters, 65/100."

You're a video game reviewer, it's your job to adequately select a game from a genre with which you'll be most familiar to successfully analyze it's faults. Or at the least, try to learn more about it as you go. Saying the game didn't make you care it's not a good excuse.

this aging franchise needs to stay relevant in the next console generation.

Aging franchise, and only the best selling racing game on the market.

RobbieH

Polygon said:
If you're not into racing games, it can be easy to dismiss them as repetitive — "You're just driving in circles."

Venture Beat said:
After a while, the tracks and surrounding areas began to suffer from a sense of sameness. This could simply be because I’m not a racing fan and don’t get the appeal of driving around in circles...

VideoGamer said:
There’s an age old argument that simulation racing games are ‘just cars going around in circles’ – Gran Turismo 6 has no retort.

Sigh.

WOW @ that venturebeat review. I really wonder what circumstances led to him getting assigned that review, and that review being posted without more editing.

Top Bottom