• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Review Thread

Kinda surprised really. I though that it would land in the upper 80s without too much problems. Currently, the score lies at 81% (rounded) when taking into all all fourteen review in the OP.
Makes sense in the context of being tied to previous gen and being more of an update than a major sequel.

But its still an embarrassment of riches when it comes to content and features, so I think the low 80s is just a way for the gaming press to say "bring on the next gen GT please".

So many reviews (scores in particular) seem to be about the hype and whether a game matches up to it, as well as commentaries on how a series is progressing.

benzy

why shouldn't they take off 2 points for that, seems rather integral for a sim racer no?

Sound gripes I can understand, but visual damage modeling isn't integral at all. It's all just visual. Should other competitive racers have more points deducted for their lack of visual features that GT6 has? I'd say weather and time transition are much more integral than better damage modeling.

biocat

If we weight the scores according to the number of brain cells remaining in the reviewer's head, GT6 would probably have a much better aggregate.

wizzbang

Banned
I'm curious how Polyphony Digital has managed to use the same tire squeel sample since Gran Turismo 3 without getting called out on it? It drives me insane.

Hanmik

read the danish review.. he (Thomas Blichfeldt) likes his racing games (he is a good games critic)..
- he mentions bad menus (not as bad as GT5 but still bad)
- New physics that sometimes fail to work.
- REALLY bad AI
- License tests are a pain.
- Repeats of flaws from older games.
and much more..

kenta

Has no PEINS
Watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and came away really impressed (coming from someone who facepalmed GT5). Loaded up this thread and some of these reviews seem rough. Wonder what I'm missing

why is that imporant to you?
Sometimes financial or professional success is dependent on aggregate scores, and this can have a positive effect on the future of either a series or its developers in terms of funding. So, a fan of said series or developers may feel this is important because it may benefit the continued development of the series and possibly with a strong budget. But it could also be that said fan just genuinely have enjoys the series' games, and therefore out of goodwill may simply want to wish good fortune and critical success upon those responsible for providing him with said enjoyment -- as one genuine and respectful gamer to another.

Acheteedo

I don't get the complaints about the venturebeat review, so he's not a driving simulation fan, so what? You have 50 other sites providing reviews from fans of the genre, go read those, lets get some varied perspectives in here. Consumers who are not particularly fans of a genre will often consider picking up a game in that genre getting excellent reviews, their decision will be much better informed if there are some reviews out there from people like themselves.

Robot Pants

read the danish review.. he (Thomas Blichfeldt) likes his racing games (he is a good games critic)..
- REALLY bad AI
and much more..
Sounds like they should have just waited and made this a next-gen title with everything ironed out.

Gee, what a concept.

- REALLY bad AI
and much more..

what the fuck....

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
These scores don't surprise me, the signs were there with GT5 that this series was starting to wobble. There's so much content that the actual design of the game has suffered and is still stuck in the PS2 era.

Makes sense in the context of being tied to previous gen and being more of an update than a major sequel.

But its still an embarrassment of riches when it comes to content and features, so I think the low 80s is just a way for the gaming press to say "bring on the next gen GT please".

So many reviews (scores in particular) seem to be about the hype and whether a game matches up to it, as well as commentaries on how a series is progressing.
Fine with me. From what I have seen in previews, it's more than enough for me to justify a purchase of GT6 anyway and I look forward to spending many hours on it just like I did with GT3, GT4 and GT5. I was just surprised to see it not score as well as I though it would (then again, review scores don't affect my decision to buy the game).

That said, my hope is that one day, a racing game will come to surpass Gran Turismo 3. I can safely say that not only GT3 has been undoubtely the best racing game I have ever played, but that it has been one of the best video games I have ever played. Hundreds of hours spent on that one game. I miss my PS2...

Solal

I don't get the complaints about the venturebeat review, so he's not a driving simulation fan, so what? You have 50 other sites providing reviews from fans of the genre, go read those, lets get some varied perspectives in here. Consumers who are not particularly fans of a genre will often consider picking up a game in that genre getting excellent reviews, their decision will be much better informed if there are some reviews out there from people like themselves.

I get your point. But I d rather have a "second opinion" from a "non-expert" than the main review.

I am not a GT defender, far from that, but this really seems unfair to me.

NeoGash

Damn this game looks good, I can only imagine what GT7 will look like on the PS4! Thinking of picking this up around Christmas, should I get the G27 wheel? Does it also work with PC and Xbox (Forza?). Anyway, I need some Bathurst, night and weather racing now more than ever, so this will most definitely please me. I'm still eagerly anticipating news on the sound patch, but that is my only complaint so far from what I have seen, the rest looks top notch.

Oh yeah, dat Polygon bias/10.

EDIT: I know next-gen is out and the footage of Forza 5 and Driveclub are making people salivate, but people should be realistic about this. It is on last generation hardware and looks great on it, so it shouldn't be unfairly judged against games on systems with much more power. I think for last generation hardware this looks amazing, especially in cockpit view and at night.

Damn this game looks good, I can only imagine what GT7 will look like on the PS4! Thinking of picking this up around Christmas, should I get the G27 wheel? Does it also work with PC and Xbox (Forza?). Anyway, I need some Bathurst, night and weather racing now more than ever, so this will most definitely please me. I'm still eagerly anticipating news on the sound patch, but that is my only complaint so far from what I have seen, the rest looks top notch.

Oh yeah, dat Polygon bias/10.
GT6 is one of the best-looking games I have ever seen. It truly amazes me the graphical capabilities that today's consoles are able to output.

Solal

Well, as much as I see your point, I think there is also a possibility that GT6 IS boring and bad thought.
It would not be he first time would it?

Now don't get me wrong: i have no doubt that GT6 will have many moments of pure pleasure and fun.

But once again: it seems to me that the reviews sanction the whole package. the whole game, not only the driving experience. And that seems fair to me.

At the end of the day, we all know that if you are looking for the best driving experience and wonderful driving sensations (at least on PS3... i don't want to start a console war), GT6 will do that.

wizzbang

Banned
Because it's not the same? :)

I've played since GT3 and I can damn well assure you, the tire squeel is PRECISELY the same pitch in GT3,GT4,GT HD Concept, GT time trial blah blah GT4 prologue, GT5 prologue, GT5, GT6 (need I go on?)

The sound sample is ghastly and they keep thinking it's good enough, it's really frustrating and just sounds.... cheap for lack of a better word, just sounds cheap.

jayu26

Eh, this is the first GT game I don't have much interest in. I really wish they would have moved over to PS4.

Eh!? Moving to PS4 will not automatically mean better sounding engines or fix other problems reviews have with the game.

NeoGash

GT6 is one of the best-looking games I have ever seen. It truly amazes me the graphical capabilities that today's consoles are able to output.

I agree, and I think the very fact that it is being compared graphically to Forza 5 and Driveclub says a lot. It even holds its own and in some cases looks better IMO. Just me, but I think it looks more impressive a lot of the time because of the lighting. GT7 will make other racing games look a generation behind, I'm calling it.

dhlt25

sounds is a deal breaker. From the GB quick look you can clearly see the frame rate drop in cockpit view as well.

Solal

I've played since GT3 and I can damn well assure you, the tire squeel is PRECISELY the same pitch in GT3,GT4,GT HD Concept, GT time trial blah blah GT4 prologue, GT5 prologue, GT5, GT6 (need I go on?)

The sound sample is ghastly and they keep thinking it's good enough, it's really frustrating and just sounds.... cheap for lack of a better word, just sounds cheap.

Yes. the sound department is complete crap in GT. Don't even bother arguing with anyone saying otherwise.

That they did not fix it in 3 years time, with all the fans feedback begging for better sounds, just shows how, IMO, PD totally lost the sense of priorities. (to be fair: Kaz said that they are working on enhancing sounds...but he is not sure if they will make it for GT6... take that as you wish).

I really, honestly, don't even understand what PD sound engineers have been doing for 3 years.

mujun

Why fix your weaknesses when you can travel around the world to different race events pretending to be a pseudo celebrity?

Surely part of the pretending would be the busy lifestyle which wouldn't allow you time to moan about metacritic aggregate scores not being high enough.

Acheteedo

I get your point. But I d rather have a "second opinion" from a "non-expert" than the main review.

I am not a GT defender, far from that, but this really seems unfair to me.

I would agree if I only read one website, but we have a wealth of sites to choose from. I can get a main review from a fan elsewhere. As long as it's clear where the reviewer is coming from, then websites should take on their own approach to reviewing as they see fit.

benzy

Why fix your weaknesses when you can travel around the world to different race events pretending to be a pseudo celebrity?

Yeah, Kaz should just stay in Japan and pretend like he knows how to race and somehow use that lack of motorsport driving experience to help better the game's driving mechanics.

Solal

Again no.

Would you get FIFA reviewed by someone who hates soccer ? It would just be: "The referee was whistling all the time for some thing called "offside that i did not know anythiong about!"

I have no problem with needing some backround knowledge to enjoy a game. That should not penalize the game.

Imo, you should try to inform those who would be likely to buy the game in the first place. Those who like cars. And then, in the review, make a point about how the game might be hard for "non-experts".

I agree, and I think the very fact that it is being compared graphically to Forza 5 and Driveclub says a lot. It even holds its own and in some cases looks better IMO. Just me, but I think it looks more impressive a lot of the time because of the lighting. GT7 will make other racing games look a generation behind, I'm calling it.
I can't even imagine just how good GT7 will look when we reach that point. But what I'm more curious about is if GT7 improves on the issues that previous games have. I'm fine with less cars if it means bringing the game back to near perfection like GT3 was.

Any mention of the microtransactions and how much they are a pay wall holding your time hostage? Or is the grind not really a grind at all?

Opiate

Reviews seem good as always... i really wouldnt give clicks to clickbaits...

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/gran+turismo/results

Gran Turismo: 96
Gran Turismo 2: 93
Gran Turismo 3: 95
Gran Turismo 4: 89
Gran Turismo 5: 84
Gran Turismo 6 (Current): 76

I don't personally feel game reviews are very representative of game quality and that they are systematically biased towards a particular type of game, but if we're going to worry about them at all then it's probably reasonable to point out that GT's reviews have been on a steep, fairly consistent decline. My guess: this game will be great if you already know you like Gran Turismo, but won't be particularly good at pulling in new customers.

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
Again no.

Would you get FIFA reviewed by someone who hates soccer ? It would just be: "The referee was whistling all the time for some thing called "offside that i did not know anythiong about!"

I have no problem with needing some backround knowledge to enjoy a game. That should not penalize the game.

Imo, you should try to inform those who would be likely to buy the game in the first place. Those who like cars. And then, in the review, make a point about how the game might be hard for "non-experts".

Yea man the Giant bomb sports team does the best coverage for Fifa and the like. I buy my sports games based on their opinions.

Top Bottom