• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Gamescom screens

Unknown?

It definitely, definitely changes the shadows. GT6 shadows are pitifully awful on tracks with dynamic TOD but they look fine in photomode.

Theyre bad because of the aliasing and flickering. Standstill, naturally, they won't be as bad and just sitting still in your car will make it less noticeable. If you zoom in on photo mode the shadows are still very low quality compared to the rest of the graphics.

IISANDERII

I never enjoyed online modes in track based racers because all people do is ram into your car and use lag to just speed away. At least that was my experience with Driveclub and GT5.
There were tons of great lobbies and clean racing in GT5, one of my favourite times last generation, sorry you missed it!

I had amazing times with GT5 online. Plenty of idiots, sure, but also lots of decent people.

Hell, I even miss the Nascar endurances that we used to do.

From the screens I'd say that fishy ranch track goes through a warehouse or farm building at some point? Kind of strange.
Not half as strange as driving through a Submarine Pen, to be fair.

Metfanant

Still no direct feed image from inside the car or actual driving point of view (hood, bumper, etc)? This continues to send up red flags for me.

That continues to bother the hell out of me. The games look better in the replay and photomode but that's not what one will actually be playing. We all complain about the bullshots but this is the video version of that. I just want some actual true gameplay.

Thanks but have anything that's not a 3GB download?

LMAOOOO!!!

"They refuse to show gameplay footage! The game must look like crap! Show me high quality gameplay footage"

*Link provided*

"Can you give me lower quality footage? The download is too big"

I mean, seriously?

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Those pics from photo mode look awesome! I mean, in GT games they always do. Although I know it won't look like this ingame, the E3 videos showed great progress and ingame it already looked good. My concern is with the audio and whether or not they'll add damage models to the cars. They said they will, but they still haven't showed anything in that regard. I'm starting to think it won't be implemented, at least not at launch, sadly.

Apex

Still very worrying that they didn't show anything new, where is the damage? more tracks, cars? cars with liveries?
Impatient too much? TGS is in less than a month and there's still three months till the game release.

Anyone who has followed the progression of past GTs should know how this will work. Expect a big unload of info and details at the TGS, a patch on release and many new/old features to be added or corrected during the life of the game throught the updates.

Unknown?

Impatient too much? TGS is in less than a month and there's still three months till the game release.

Anyone who has followed the progression of past GTs should know how this will work. Expect a big unload of info and details at the TGS, a patch on release and many new/old features to be added or corrected during the life of the game throught the updates.

Yeah TGS will undoubtedly be a media blowout! Or maybe their own GT event. I'd be worried if Sony was having a big conference at GamesCom but they aren't.

Apex

Yeah TGS will undoubtedly be a media blowout! Or maybe their own GT event. I'd be worried if Sony was having a big conference at GamesCom but they aren't.
Yeah, there's also the possibility of a BIG release event, following PD's tradition, this time with the FIA involved.

Shin-Ra

gran-turismo-sport_200qutr.jpg

The sagging red fencing's nice. They need a few variations so it's not just one repeating though.

Looks like every car sim released in the last five years.
Those screens could've been any of the previous 3-4 GT titles.
Well, damn.

The few videos I've seen highlighting the sound had the cars sounding just as terrible as ever.
That makes little sense since they are better in the comparison of the same car

The things that get me are car to car interactions and spin lots and physics in such things but soon puts and being realistic to a real car no game in the world gets close to looking or feeling like a real car but some games do it much better than gt.

Also wish the sounds for the squeals were better.

The intro gt one has a great tire to weight feel as well as a great sound yet they never did it in game

farisr

Wait wait wait.... is this true? No single player?
If so that changes everything for me :(
no traditional GT career yeah. There won't be any tournaments and cups or stuff like that. Heck I don't think it has even been confirmed if there are performance upgrades in the game last I checked.

Single player wise the career consists of what basically amounts to tutorials to prep you for online play. And an arcade mode.

Edit: personally for me that mixed with dynamic tod not making it in took the game off my radar. But it's the PSVR support that's pulling me back in and may result in me buying the game anyways.

There is a campaign, seems like it's over 150 trials, challenges, licenses etc...but the game is more tailored to racing competitively and the design choice behind the campaign is to actually get you to drive better and compete.

It's not going to be the AI race after race and earn championships like the old GT titles, unless they add it in.

Still we don't have the complete game. Not sure how extensive it is.

Ranger X

No career, new real new gameplay and still no realistic racing consequences.

Count me out! My gaming hours are too precious for that game.

ViciousDS

Banned
those are wwaaayyyyy to clean to be in game, must be replay footage. Still looks loads better though then the initial reveal by far.

no traditional GT career yeah. There won't be any tournaments and cups or stuff like that. Heck I don't think it has even been confirmed if there are performance upgrades in the game last I checked.

Single player wise the career consists of what basically amounts to tutorials to prep you for online play. And an arcade mode.

Edit: personally for me that mixed with dynamic tod not making it in took the game off my radar. But it's the PSVR support that's pulling me back in and may result in me buying the game anyways.

..............I'm out

Shin-Ra

But how are the sounds? Are they still as shit as ever?
Ha, don't kid yourself. It's most likely just more of the same. At this rate you're better off playing the older titles on PCSX2 than believing the new ones will improve.
Yaaaaaaayy
Nice graphics; crap physics and sounds. Gran Turismo.
Is there some new direct feed footage I'm missing here? Just looks like driveby trolling without any relevance to the thread contents.

That texture detail and draw distance is amazing, high samples of AF as well. From the tracks I'm seeing here, Sport reminds me of GT4 the most. That game had the best tracks.
Why would you try and judge any of that from photomode pics?

Gran-Turismo-Sport_2016_08-17-16_072.jpg

Nice welding.

Gran-Turismo-Sport_2016_08-17-16_073.jpg

Hopefully they've chosen the actual replay angles carefully because the grass on the right side looks great here, stuff behind the barrier on the left that you won't see from driving cameras, empty.

jjonez18

It's been too long. Cannot wait to get this in my hands. Just picked up a PS3 and GT6 and I can't play the damn thing because of how PD setup the updates. I'm not even sure I should bother trying, and just wait.

jaypah

I skipped 6 (loved 5) so I hope this ranks up. I need a new wheel since I'm still rocking a DFGT but that wheel is fine for me and I don't want to shell out. I'll probably break at some point though. Ugh.

nasanu

Banned
Still no direct feed image from inside the car or actual driving point of view (hood, bumper, etc)? This continues to send up red flags for me.

Send all the flags up where ever you want, but I have played it twice now (and will again in about 1 month) and I have complete confidence it will look like those shots (replay, not photomode). The last version I played suffered some strange AA effect bug, but when they fix that (and it's not an IF, it was so broken it will get fixed) it will look great. Was smooth also, I didn't notice frame drops or tearing (on the ring), though I did notice some tearing when others played on the tokyo track. Small issues though and they have months to fix them.

The physics model is nice also. Feels great, seems they made inroads with the tyre model. Not sure about drivetrain though.

nasanu

Banned

If GTP is mentioned that is your clue not to believe.

In the mockup menu screens there were something like 170 single player events, GT6 mission style. But PD has not shown the single player yet, they are focusing on the sport aspect.

Send all the flags up where ever you want, but I have played it twice now (and will again in about 1 month) and I have complete confidence it will look like those shots (replay, not photomode). The last version I played suffered some strange AA effect bug, but when they fix that (and it's not an IF, it was so broken it will get fixed) it will look great. Was smooth also, I didn't notice frame drops or tearing (on the ring), though I did notice some tearing when others played on the tokyo track. Small issues though and they have months to fix them.

The physics model is nice also. Feels great, seems they made inroads with the tyre model. Not sure about drivetrain though.

Thank you. Finally someone with first hand experience.

farisr

Guys, PD has made it very clear already what campaign is going to be like. There is no "we don't know yet". They laid it out for everyone to see. Unless they comment on it specifically (that they're changing things regarding this or improving on it), this is what you should be expecting.

GT Sport will likely not feature traditional offline events
So first of all 'Campaign Mode'.
c6AziYH.jpg

The above slide is very clear in what it contains. 117 Events, and the breakdown of those. I think many people assumed those events were in part going to be like the past, 'Sunday Cup', 'Like The Wind' and so on. However thanks to @fagnerpc that seems not to be the case.
xhCvqOL.jpg

The 'Beginner's School seems to be what we expected, basic driving lessons similar to old license tests.
pvMrOm0.jpg

Circuit Experience is where I think many people, including myself, expected to find familiar race events. However the above screen suggests this is not the case and they are in fact just exercises to learn the tracks.

Sz33TNi.jpg

Mission Challenge is seemingly what most people were expecting, short to mid-length driving challenges, some against the clock, some against AI. Very similar to those found in GT4 and later games. However again these are seemingly specific scenarios, not set race events.
NB8Z3eU.jpg

Racing Etiquette does what it says on the tin, teaches you the do's and don't of real racing. Again, just simple scenarios are presented here, no race events.

nasanu

Banned
Is that related to the fence transparency flickering opaque?
That was happening in the first build I played, in the second there was something else. There was like this very low res grill over some patches of the screen. Really strange, I couldn't pin down what it was other than some post processing gone mad.

But while it happened for me in the ring I didn't see it for other players on different tracks.

farisr

You do realise those are just mockup screens right?
You do realize that they are from an official presentation at the reveal event meant to get info out to us, and the official website has these descriptions:

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gtsport/driving/

Beginner’s School
From basic skills such as hitting the brakes and how to turn into a corner, fundamentals can be learned from the bottom up, which will prove invaluable for newcomers to driving games.

Mission Challenge
As you work your way through short missions, you will automatically pick up fundamental driving skills without even realising it. In the end, you will have a level of skill that will allow you to participate in major race events.

Circuit Experience
Through actual experience on a race track, you will step into the true world of high-performance driving. Use the knowledge of track layouts learned in the mission challenges to pick up the basics of how to conquer a race track.

Race Etiquette
In online, as well as real races, etiquette on the track is as important as performance. Learn the rules of etiquette and sportsmanship that’s required in all player-vs-player races. Even if you’re not a top driver with lots of confidence in your skills, you will still have plenty of fun because each player will be matched fairly with people of their own level for fair and equal online racing.

The number of events could change, yes, but that doesn't mean all of a sudden it's going to turn into a traditional GT campaign. If PD hasn't bothered to mention they'll be making changes, or improvements to the campaign from what we've seen, it's best to expect exactly what they've shown rather than hoping or acting like "we don't know what it's going to be like." No, PD has already given us a pretty good idea what they're aiming for from their descriptions and screens.

PD has said they're continuallyy working on improving graphics, physics, sound right now, and I believe them, and tell people to not jump to conclusions yet as the game is constantly improving in those departments. Until PD specifically comments on making changes to the campaign, I'm going to take what they said and showed as a good indicator of what to expect from the campaign mode of the game and will tell others to expect the same as well.

JP

A new twenty minute video from Polyphony, it's not about the game specifically and features no gameplay so it probably doesn't warrant a new thread.
Polyphony Digital said:
With hail hammering down on the cars right from the get-go and non-stop crashes, Gran Turismo series producer Kazunori Yamauchi took part in this year’s 44th Nürburgring 24h race, taking the wheel of a Walkenhorst Motorsport BMW M6 GT3. This beautifully-made documentary takes you all the way from the initial preparations right through to the checkered flag and features interviews with the people who made it happen.
MADE FROM REALITY - YouTube

Nothing to do during the 6 weeks holidays?

OT: Looking gangbusters!!!! My Neo is ready!!

I wish I had 6 weeks vacation.

This is a joke right?

I just listened to the sounds again. They are worse than Forza, which is not all the great so idk why people are questioning what I said. And there hasn't been one GT (excluding the old PS1 games ofc) that has had great physics. Maybe if you guys are ok with arcadey controls but its not realistic in the least. Especially now that are more sims out there to compare it to. Of course the bit about the physics is only based on previous iterations and its possible its finally good. I have not played it so idk.

Edit: This is coming from a long time fan but I can still see the flaws that have carried over year after year...

Top Bottom