• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Msamy

Lighting isn't everything,
just the only thing that matters。

And some lazy developers still use pre baked lighting because they said that current gen consoles cannot handle real time (global illumination, reflections and shadows) and take this as the reason to give us games with last gen graphics , and finally robocop brove that they are all lazy developerers , and some people's who don't know any thing about graphics believe them lol, robocop prove that many of the matrix demo main graphics features can used in full scale game in current gen console with good resolution and fps , and any developer's who said they can't do real time reflections and global illumination together in current gen are simply liers and lazy developer's

Last edited:

Alex11

I mean in general it looks great. Same can be said about a lot of games, right?
Yes, of course, I didn't mean to shit on the game, just a fair critique. The atmosphere and art direction is amazing, but has a lot of stuff that feels last gen, some that are really obvious that I didn't expect.

And for now nobody seems to either notice it or pay attention and isn't fair to all other amazing looking games that got all kinds of shit and didn't get a pass for their flaws, of course this is all my opinion.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And some lazy developers still use pre baked lighting because they said that current gen consoles cannot handle real time (global illumination, reflections and shadows) and take this as the reason to give us games with last gen graphics , and finally robocop brove that they are all lazy developerers , and some people's who don't know any thing about graphics believe them lol, robocop prove that many of the matrix demo main graphics features can used in full scale game in current gen console with good resolution and fps , and any developer's who said they can't do real time reflections and global illumination together in current gen are simply liers and lazy developer's
Dude, how many times were we told that we dont know anything about video game development simply because we criticized cross gen graphics? we were told that PS4 graphics were the best anyone could do, that matrix was just a tech demo, and that covid killed all the developers.

Then robocop comes along and shows that c tier developers can produce AAA next gen visuals AAA developers like Naughty Gods, SSM and Capcom couldnt do.

I guess we DO know something about game development because we knew these visuals were possible on next gen hardware. Its the devs that were lazy, unambitious or untalented.

rofif

Banned
yeah that appears to be the case.
It requires skill but most importantly - CARE.

Look at Alan Wake 2. On pc, with Path Tracing, it's one of most technically advanced games.
On ps5 it's a crapshoot with terrible shadows, terrible/no reflections, grainy ssr texture on like every shiny object. And worst image quality possible.
If they had taken care, They would actually BAKE IN a lot of stuff. The game is static and doesn't reqire everything to be dynamic honestly.
So I wouldn't maybe connect baking to lazy devs. Maybe even the opposite depending on the occasion.
Look at horizon FW? They use baked lighting. Precalculated for like 16 different times of day. So they were able to overcome limitation of not being able to go full RT

SlimySnake

Yes, of course, I didn't mean to shit on the game, just a fair critique. The atmosphere and art direction is amazing, but has a lot of stuff that feels last gen, some that are really obvious that I didn't expect.

And for now nobody seems to either notice it or pay attention and isn't fair to all other amazing looking games that got all kinds of shit and didn't get a pass for their flaws, of course this is all my opinion.
I think its because the baseline is so high that the unimpressive parts still dont look like utter trash like FF16 and Starfield do. The lighting is still next gen. compare your ugly screenshots to the ugly screenshots of TLOU2 i posted on the very first page of this thread. Now granted, those levels were later said to have been reshoots of sorts that were done at the last minute to make Abby more likeable since she and her cast focus tested so poorly, but as you can see in those TLOU2 shots, the lighting, assets and levels look like they belong in a different game. No 3D game will look amazing at all angles. I think RDR2 comes close but thats a rare exception and it too has some ugly looking character models of NPCs and some very ordinary interiors/interior lighting.

Msamy

Dude, how many times were we told that we dont know anything about video game development simply because we criticized cross gen graphics? we were told that PS4 graphics were the best anyone could do, that matrix was just a tech demo, and that covid killed all the developers.

Then robocop comes along and shows that c tier developers can produce AAA next gen visuals AAA developers like Naughty Gods, SSM and Capcom couldnt do.

I guess we DO know something about game development because we knew these visuals were possible on next gen hardware. Its the devs that were lazy, unambitious or untalented.
Yes , I remember those many people's who attacks me and you when we criticized those next gen only games from big developers with last gen graphics, I really want to see thier reaction now when a small AA studios Make those big studios looks like poor studios in terms of their games graphics

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
By the way the video you posted is from an obvious fanboy/promotion channel without an ounce of credibility, his "findings" routinely contradicts the likes of NXgamer, Vgtech and DF since the beginning of the generation and recently he was exposed for using faulty methodology in his Spiderman 2 performance video by Michael (NX) and John and was forced to delete the video. In a place where ElAnalistaDeBits is a banned source Open Surprise should be double banned.

Looks like he was right on this one 🤷‍♂️

Qs51DAN.png

Hugare

lol, you wish that lazy devs would go for baked lighting.

Most devs these days just use whatever dynamic GI system they have and call it a day

Robocop looks awesome, but it could look just as good with some good baked lighting. And it would run even better.

It's more impressive than AW 2 tho. Not in terms of art or overall presentation, AW still looks best, but in tech and how it runs/looks

But I think that if remedy used UE 5 they could have had a just as good looking game but with better performance and IQ than using Northlight

Northlight looks awesome but it's heavy af, and UE 5 has basically the same tools with Nanite and Lumen.

Last edited:

Msamy

lol, you wish that lazy devs would go for baked lighting.

Most devs these days just use whatever dynamic GI system they have and call it a day

Robocop looks awesome, but it could look just as good with some good baked lighting. And it would run even better.

It's more impressive than AW 2 tho. Not in terms of art or overall presentation, AW still looks best, but in tech and how it runs/looks

But I think that if remedy used UE 5 they could have had a just as good looking game but with better performance and IQ than using Northlight

Northlight looks awesome but it's heavy af, and UE 5 has basically the same tools with Nanite and Lumen.
No, simply noway that robocop will look this way with baked lighting horizon looks great but if it use real time gi it will looks much better, and yes those who use baked lighting are very lazy to improve their tech , if you watch df review you will know that robocop use some kind of software Lumen tech and simply didn't see any of those lazy developers develop tech like that ,also those lazy developers can use hybrid global illumination(real time and backed) but they even don't do that .

Last edited:

Hugare

No, simply noway that robocop will look this way with baked lighting horizon looks great but if it use real time gi it will looks much better, and yes those who use baked lighting are very lazy to improve their tech , if you watch df review you will know that robocop use some kind of software Lumen tech and simply didn't see any of those lazy developers develop tech like that ,also those lazy developers can use hybrid global illumination(real time and backed) but they even don't do that .
Man, with all due respect and not wanting to sound patronizing, you have no idea what you are talking about

1 - No, Horizon wouldn't look better with realtime GI alone. You think devs at Guerrilla are lazy or dont know about tech?

Baked lighting can look as good as path tracing (not better, but similar enough results) when well baked and in conjunction with some form of realtime GI (hence Alan Wake 2 visuals on consoles).

Wanna know how games with dynamic GI with no form of baked lighting would look? See Dying Light 2 or Cyberpunk without RT GI. Look at least 2 generations apart from their RT versions.

So as you've mentioned, hybrid GI is the best sollution unless you got full path tracing, but PT is not an option on consoles and most PCs

"Why hybrid GI is not used by most devs, then?". 'Cause even tho its not as expensive as PT, its still expensive af. Robocop uses Lumen and Nanite, but it's a very basic game: it's not open world, doesn't have many options for traversal, doesn't have multiple NPCs at once with complex AI and etc. You couldnt put this tech in Cyberpunk or an Assasins Creed game and expect similar results, for example.

2 - You don't see "lazy devs" developing tech such as Lumen? lol. No shit.

You think making tech like that is easy? R&D costs for engines are huge, takes years and some brilliant minds behind it.

Thats why many devs will pay for UE 5 instead of developing their in-house engine

Last edited:

Msamy

Man, with all due respect and not wanting to sound patronizing, you have no idea what you are talking about

1 - No, Horizon wouldn't look better with realtime GI alone. You think devs at Guerrilla are lazy or dont know about tech?

Baked lighting can look as good as path tracing (not better, but similar enough results) when well baked and in conjunction with some form of realtime GI (hence Alan Wake 2 visuals on consoles).

Wanna know how games with dynamic GI with no form of baked lighting would look? See Dying Light 2 or Cyberpunk without RT GI. Look at least 2 generations apart from their RT versions.

So as you've mentioned, hybrid GI is the best sollution unless you got full path tracing, but PT is not an option on consoles and most PCs

"Why hybrid GI is not used by most devs, then?". 'Cause even tho its not as expensive as PT, its still expensive af. Robocop uses Lumen and Nanite, but it's a very basic game: it's not open world, doesn't have many options for traversal, doesn't have multiple NPCs at once with complex AI and etc. You couldnt put this tech in Cyberpunk or an Assasins Creed game and expect similar results, for example.

2 - You don't see "lazy devs" developing tech such as Lumen? lol. No shit.

You think making tech like that is easy? R&D costs for engines are huge, takes years and some brilliant minds behind it.

Thats why many devs will pay for UE 5 instead of developing their in-house engine
Basically you tell me that I wrong but actually my answer's to you are in your comment written by you , lol , keep in believe in those lazy developers ., also I want to see your reaction when horizon 3 will using real time gi and looks miles better than horizon 2 .

Last edited:

Hugare

Basically you tell me that I wrong but actually my answer's to you are in your comment written by you , lol , keep in believe in those lazy developers .
I made a pretty extensive post to show you that's not as simple as saying that hybrid GI is a magic silver bullet for all problems and anyone not using it is a "lazy dev"

You know when your argument is shit when you think Guerrilla are lazy devs

But sure, go on

Msamy

I made a pretty extensive post to show you that's not as simple as saying that hybrid GI is a magic silver bullet for all problems and anyone not using it is a "lazy dev"

You know when your argument is shit when you think Guerrilla are lazy devs

But sure, go on
No I am actually not meant Guerrilla at all horizon 2 are cross gen title , if you see my comments in the past you will know which developers I refer to them as lazy developers

Msamy

Alongside robocop and avatar I expect that next month in tga many unreleased next gen games (announced and unannounced) will show those peoples who defend last gen graphics that making good graphics ( with real time gi , reflections and mesh shading) in current gen consoles are something very possible but requires efforts from developers .

Lethal01

And some lazy developers still use pre baked lighting

Using prebaked GI in order to push the visuals elsewhere is totally fine、What dev said that realtime gi and reflections were impossible though?That was done since metro exodus.

Alongside robocop and avatar I expect that next month in tga many unreleased next gen games (announced and unannounced) will show those peoples who defend last gen graphics that making good graphics ( with real time gi , reflections and mesh shading) in current gen consoles are something very possible but requires efforts from developers .

Also time、Ofcourse we all agree that the graphics on the system improve over time, devs weren't lazy just because games at the end of the gen look better than those of the start.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I guess we DO know something about game development

That guy only enforces the stereotype of the people that are quick to call devs lazy not knowing anything about development. I gave him the benefit of the doubt at first but he really went full on "if devs don't use realtime GI they are lazy"

I have fun being a lighting fanboy but even I can acknowledge that's a really dumb thing to say.

CGNoire

So as you've mentioned, hybrid GI is the best sollution
The best hybrid solution would be the one used in Quantum Break. They used a "Baked" voxel grid instead of light maps for their GI. The benefits being you get Real time GI on dynamic objects with the only two caviots being Dynamic objects don't contribute to the GI and the environments are not destructive.

Msamy

Using prebaked GI in order to push the visuals elsewhere is totally fine、What dev said that realtime gi and reflections were impossible though?That was done since metro exodus.
I don't say that the must totally use real time lighting As I said If developers make some efforts and use some kind of hybrid lighting with rt reflections , shadows and mesh shading in current gen the graphics quality of their games are gonna improve so much , AA studio use ue5 features like Lumen and Nanite in low budget game with medium - low quality assets and I think we all abrove that game looks unmatched visually in outdoor areas at least.

Msamy

That guy only enforces the stereotype of the people that are quick to call devs lazy not knowing anything about development. I gave him the benefit of the doubt at first but he really went full on "if devs don't use realtime GI they are lazy"

I have fun being a lighting fanboy but even I can acknowledge that's a really dumb thing to say.
I am not say they are lazy because of lighting alone , their also not using mesh shading tech and they even use un upgraded assets, also I want to to clarify something I am not criticized Guerrilla or Nd I know their next games are gonna use theis new tech , I criticized those developers who said that current gen can't handle using realtime lighting alongside rt reflections and not spent any effort in Improve their tech .

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I criticized those developers who said that current gen can't handle using realtime lighting alongside rt reflections and not spent any effort in Improve their tech .

It would make this conversation more fruitful and less confusing if you just provide the quote and name of developer who allegedly said all this.

SlimySnake

I think Robocop looks that good because it smartly utilizes virtually every major UE5 feature. From nanite to lumen and virtual shadowmaps, everything comes together to make a stunning looking title. That said, I dont think baked lighting would make this game look too different. After all, most levels take place in static time of day and there doesnt seem to be a lot of variance in terms of light sources completely changing the look of a level.

Alan wake 2 doesnt use realtime GI and instead bakes in its lighting. It works and looks a generation ahead of anything else out there. I think its the quality of the lighting that matters most. Realtime GI is great but it will only really affect those transitions from different times of day. What they did was use a way higher quality lighting model than say spiderman 2. it came at a cost as it runs at 1440p 30 fps where as spiderman 2 runs at native 4k 30 fps. more than 2x the pixels. But i think its perfectly worth it. As we saw with Immortal, Lumen isnt going to automatically give these developers a next gen leap in lighting. The devs still have to create a lighting model that looks next gen and the more complex the lighting model, the more GPU power it will require.

Lumen/realtime lighting likely did help streamline the development. I think the insomniac dev said something about how it took them 4 days to render one time of day so if an artist needed to make a change to a street level, he would have to wait 4 days to see how it came out. whereas lumen allows them to see these changes in realtime. Lords of the fallen devs actually use baked Lumen to reduce having the GPU to calculate lighting in realtime. These are all smart techniques developers use to get more performance from GPUs.

hes wrong about that, but he's correct overall. UE5 IS the holy grail we were waiting for and Remnant 2, Immortals, and Lords of The Fallen simply arent utilizing it well enough. They all look last gen for one reason or another, so either the devs are incompetent or lazy. im going with lack of expertise and budget instead of laziness, but other devs like SSM, GG, 343i, insomniac are just lazy. Sorry, but you cant be getting shown up by a c tier polish studio making a game called Robocop. They CHOSE to hold themselves back with last gen hardware and CHOSE to not invest in ANY of the new features robocop is using so yes, they are lazy. Because they definitely arent incompetent. They had five years to make their games, and they phoned them all in with last gen lighting, last gen assets, and in horizon burning shores' case, some really awful pop-in. Nanite, lumen, and other UE5 features wouldve solved all these problems, but implementing these features into their engines wouldve required actual effort. Something their engineering teams simply didnt do despite having access to $200 million first party budgets.

Last edited:

Msamy

It would make this conversation more fruitful and less confusing if you just provide the quote and name of developer who allegedly said all this.
You can see digital foundry interview with mike Fitzgerald but I know that want have any effect in you dude , I know you are the biggest defender in the world about that game and its developer.

Lethal01

You can watch df interview with mike Fitzgerald (from insomniac) when they talk about real time global illumination and his answers.

He said what I was gonna say which is that every game makes their own trade offs.
spiderman focused more on reflections, and the result they got is better than Robocops, which doesn't even have skinned characters in it's reflections and the fact it's not using hardware raytracing.
Spiderman is also a much faster paced, larger game which presents issues for a realtime solution like Unreals.

Spiderman has all sort of stuff I'd criticize but their dev absolutely did not say that raytraced GI and Reflections were impossible at all, He didn't even say it could be done in this game, just that they focused on realtime raytracing and improved the GI in other ways, they will consider raytraced GI in future games.

Don't be blinded by hate and start making stuff up. You're gonna make me be associated with dada

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You can see digital foundry interview with mike Fitzgerald but I know that want have any effect in you dude , I know you are the biggest defender in the world about that game and its developer.

Ok so that's not what he said at all. He is saying RTGI coupled with the traversal speed and RT reflection quality specifically of SM2 would be to big an ask at least for PS5. Because the RT reflections and traversal were top priority, it didn't make sense for THIS game to also include RTGI at the expense/degradation of these other top priorities.

Robocop doesn't have this issue because there is no similar speedy traversal, body of water with diffuse RT, and countless skyscrapers and cars with reflective materials with RT transparency.

Msamy

He said what I was gonna say which is that every game makes their own trade offs.
spiderman focused more on reflections, and the result they got is better than Robocops, which doesn't even have skinned characters in it's reflections and the fact it's not using hardware raytracing.
Spiderman is also a much faster paced, larger game which presents issues for a realtime solution like Unreals.

Spiderman has all sort of stuff I'd criticize but their dev absolutely did not say that raytraced GI and Reflections were impossible at all, just that they chose to focus on raytraced reflections and that they will consider raytraced GI in future games.

Don't be blinded by hate and start making stuff up.
I am not blinded by any thing he clairy said that they don't use real time gi because they don't want to not using rt reflections because its more important to them which means only one thing that they think it's impossible to use those tech together in current gen consoles and that's the only meaning to his answer

SlimySnake

Ok so that's not what he said at all. He is saying RTGI coupled with the traversal speed and RT reflection quality specifically of SM2 would be to big an ask at least for PS5. Because the RT reflections and traversal were top priority, it didn't make sense for THIS game to also include RTGI at the expense/degradation of these other top priorities.

Robocop doesn't have this issue because there is no similar speedy traversal, body of water with diffuse RT, and countless skyscrapers and cars with reflective materials with RT transparency.

Still, they are running the game at native 4k 30 fps with rt reflections. Of course they had the GPU power to do RTGI or rather better quality lighting at 1440p 30 fps like robocop or like the original spiderman 2 teaser which looked a generation ahead of the night time rendering we got in the final game.

I think its fair to say that they simply phoned in the lighting and while I dont think RTGI wouldve changed their lighting model, they definitely didnt make even baked lighting a priority. RT reflections are great and all, but a better lighting system wouldve made the game look way better overall than some RT reflections that are great but not something you would notice 100% of the time like better lighting.

spiderman-spiderman-ps5.gif

Msamy

Dude from mintie 22:30 he Clearly said they have some trade offs and they don't want to sacrifice the reflections in Newyork city if they using real time global illumination , what's the meaning of that other than what I said that they think these 2 tech can't exist together , also dude I know you gonna defend those developers whatever I said.

Last edited:

Msamy

Pro tip: When your comment is so egregious it results in Lethal01 and ChiefDada agreeing with similar counter points, you should know you f***ed up big time.
Lol , what's counter point , I clearly prove my comments unlike you dude which defend this developer without even listen to the interview, lol

Lethal01

devs like SSM, GG, 343i, insomniac are just lazy. Sorry, but you cant be getting shown up by a c tier polish studio making a game called Robocop. They CHOSE to hold themselves back with last gen hardware and CHOSE to not invest in ANY of the new features robocop is using so yes, they are lazy.

Robocop is a smaller scale game with faster turnaround that launched 2 years after some of the games you mentioned. As for them choosing to hold themselves back with last gen, As for the choice to be cross gen I don't really know if the devs can be blamed for that but I wouldn't call not immediately abandoning last gen "lazy".

that they think these 2 tech can't exist together

No, what they said does not at all imply what you said... That's all there is to it.
the video clearly contradicts what you claimed they said.

Last edited:

Msamy

No, what they said does not at all imply what you said... That's all there is to it.
the video clearly contradicts what you claimed they said.
Lol, then you can clarify to me what's the meaning of not using real time global because of the reflections are more important in Newyork city (thats what he said) ?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Dude from mintie 22:30 he Clearly said they have some trade offs and they don't want to sacrifice the reflections in Newyork city if they using real time global illumination , what's the meaning of that other than what I said that they think these 2 tech can't exist together ,

That's not what they said.

You can't look at a technical term such as "RT reflections" and assume all implementations of said technique have equal precision, render budget, etc.

Msamy

That's not what they said.

You can't look at a technical term such as "RT reflections" and assume all implementations of said technique have equal precision, render budget, etc.
Dude ,Keep defend them 💪, anyone can see the interview from 22:00 minute and will know which one of us said the truth .

SlimySnake

Robocop is a smaller scale game with faster turnaround that launched 2 years after some of the games you mentioned. As for them choosing to hold themselves back with last gen, As for the choice to be cross gen I don't really know if the devs can be blamed for that but I wouldn't call not immediately abandoning last gen "lazy".
But spiderman 2 is next gen only so why does it look cross gen?

The lighting AND asset quality of buildings/cars in Matrix/Robocop is a generation ahead of spiderman 2.

And UE5 doesnt have an issue with doing realtime GI at faster speeds. If there is work needed for getting this level of visuals in a fast moving game like spiderman 2, a sony first party studio with 5 years in between sequels shouldve been able to get it done.

zbJ0cqO.gif

Lethal01

Meh, i was more talking about Horizon. BUt UE5 does absolutely have the issue of instable lighting and need time to settle that he mentioned. Atleast The current version of UE5 does.

Personally I don't mind that instability. but again, it's a pick your poison situation like he said.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

The lighting AND asset quality of buildings/cars in Matrix/Robocop is a generation ahead of spiderman 2.

And UE5 doesnt have an issue with doing realtime GI at faster speeds. If there is work needed for getting this level of visuals in a fast moving game like spiderman 2, a sony first party studio with 5 years in between sequels shouldve been able to get it done.

zbJ0cqO.gif

Insomniacs are not known for being graphical powerhouses

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, & GG are

Santa Monica just dropped god of War Pro Edition, but even thats a reach. Its like 10 percent better than GOW 2018

Horizon was cross-gen but still looked amazing

Lets see what ND has cooking whenever it drops

gta 6 will also look amazing

If gta 6 doesn't blow us away its over

Last edited:

SlimySnake

sad we have to say this about 2015 PS4 games
pretty sure jackfrags was running this on the most powerful GPU at the time. that was like 4x more powerful than the ps4.

its also heavily modded. this is what the game looked like on my ps4 back then.

Downloading the game now thanks to ea play's $1 sub and will report back.

Last edited:

zbJ0cqO.gif

That superman clip is on PC though. We need to stop comparing any video/image taken from a PC with that of consoles ...

Top Bottom