• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2: Bigger Worlds, Little Details, Silly Side Quests

Loudninja

Gravity Rush 2 Gameplay Showcase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vUBWimTKFE

E3 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAXNQveHsG0

Can you feel that rumble? That’s the rippling swell of anticipation for Gravity Rush 2 on PS4, coming off the back of its superb E3 showing.
“A lot of people were asking me about the trailer after the PlayStation E3 Press Conference,” says Creative Director Keiichiro Toyama. “So I felt a bit like Kat does in the game — happy that people wanted to support me and the team, just like the characters in the game support her!”
With Toyama-sa
cheerfully defying gravity, we joined him up on cloud nine for a chat…

From Kitten to Kat
While the first Gravity Rush was all about the discovery of identity, the themes which envelop Kat this time are a little different.
“You’re going to see a lot of personal growth and the emotional fallout from her journey,” explains Toyama-san. “We gave you a taste in the first game but it’ll be fully explored in this one.
“Gravity Rush 2 is really about development and maturity –Kat is mischievous, but she’s also a great person and we wanted to go into that more and find out who she actually is.”

A Whole New World
Gravity Rush was one of the first stand-out games on PS Vita, but the development team really wanted to take advantage of the increased power PS4 afforded for the sequel. So a staggering amount of detail was put into creating this new environment for Kat to explore. “We wanted to do everything bigger and better — more volume and space,” explains Toyama-san.

“We did a lot of location research in places like Mexico and all across Asia, so there’s a lot of real-world inspiration on how the city looks. The map is two-and-a-half to three times bigger than the first game, so increasing that scale in every respect was something we fought for — along with more options in combat with her Lunar and Jupiter gravity styles, while also keeping the accessibility that made Gravity Rush so easy to get into.”

It’s the Little Things…
The focus wasn’t just on the larger elements of the game, however. Toyama-san and his team were keen to make sure there are a ton of details to catch your eye, too.
“Making the world seem extremely alive was hugely important for us, especially as the series was coming to PS4. We wanted dense cities and environments, with vibrancy about them.
“Every location you visit in the game is an independent floating island, so we wanted to make sure they were all floating correctly and moving independently — this was difficult but we were really focused on getting it right.”

The wide range of bystanders in Kat’s adventure aren’t left out in the cold, either.
“There are several different interactions you can have — you can walk by them and they’ll react to you in different ways, they can get caught up in your gravity field and get shocked or surprised,” says Toyama-san. “There are lots of animals to look at as well.”

Feeling Super
Maintaining influences from classic comic book tales such as Mœbius and Alejandro Jodorowsky’s The Incal, Gravity Rush 2 also features some of Toyama-san’s favorite manga and anime.
“I really like Kamen Rider,” laughs Toyama-san, referring to the brilliantly odd-looking Japanese super hero. “So you’ll see even more elements of that in the game. You can also see the Sailor Moon influences, especially when the characters in the game are doing their finishing moves and dynamic poses.
“I’d really recommend having Kat pose with other people and props in the new camera mode in the game. There are a lot of goofy possibilities!”

Keeping Things Light
Speaking of goofy — even though Kat may find herself in peril and situations may take an occasionally serious turn, Toyama-san is all about keeping things fun.
“We wanted to make a positive, upbeat game, but that naturally manifested itself from the concept of controlling gravity,” explains Toyama-san. “It may have been a bit too strange having the story go too dark from that idea, so making it vibrant was something that just gelled.
“There are more than 50 side stories that have nice comedic moments that bring personality to Gravity Rush 2. For example, one mission has Kat becoming an action star for a movie, which is filmed in-game. It’s all very light hearted, as you would expect.”
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...gger-worlds-little-details-silly-side-quests/

Servbot24

Banned
Glad to hear the city feels more alive, that was one of my main wishes from the first game. Would be great if there was some interaction with civilians and shops too.

This reminds that I need to get Gravity Rush Remastered on PS4 to finally beat it since I didn't like to controls on Vita.

This reminds that I need to get Gravity Rush Remastered on PS4.

giphy.gif

Crayon

I had never seen anything Gravity Rush except for gaf avatars. And when I saw this trailer, I realized where my life had gone wrong. I'll be playing the first game as soon as possible.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Awesome to hear the map is bigger.
I know some were worried it'd be smaller due to how much more detailed the game is.

Begaria

Still ticks me off that this first party game got like a 2 second snapshot in Sony's sizzle reel at the end of the conference. It looks so good! It's one of the more creative games actually coming out and Sony should be flaunting it.

RK128

Still ticks me off that this first party game got like a 2 second snapshot in Sony's sizzle reel at the end of the conference. It looks so good! It's one of the more creative games actually coming out and Sony should be flaunting it.

They should have closed the show with GR2 instead of Days Gone, and I'm not even that excited for GR2 personally. It looks to be a strong title and Sony should give it more attention.

Loudninja

They should have closed the show with GR2 instead of Days Gone, and I'm not even that excited for GR2 personally. It looks to be a strong title and Sony should give it more attention.
GR2 is not a new game.

Days Gone was new and its Sony Bend first game in a long time.

RK128

GR2 is not a new game.

Days Gone was new and its Sony Bend first game in a long time.

Good point; they needed to show people how the gameplay was going to be like. Still, just 2 minutes for the E3 trailer would have been nice for people excited about the game.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
This all sounds great. I love the light tone of the original, and can't wait for more.

Favorite "superhero" game in what feels like forever

How about: "they should've shown this instead of showing Days Gone twice"

Not really. A new IP needs to be shown with gameplay so that we can see the vision of the game's idea running proper. Maybe showing it at the end was a poor decision because the gameplay of DG is still quite unpolished, but to show a story beat + gameplay was the right thing to do for a new IP.

Death Stranding had no gameplay, but Kojima can get away with that, unfortunately.

Well they did show it before E3 though new info and screens.

It should've been at the actual show. The fact that it wasn't pissed off fans and numerous games journalists also noted that it should've been there and I know at least one SIE employee wasn't happy about it not being there. It was bullshit and SIEA needs to actually start showing Sony Japan's games at E3.

Paskil

The first game was a perfect example of a flawed game that was still incredible. Some of the things that were wrong with the first game would sink or break other games, but the combination of Kat, the game concept, environment, art style, the PHENOMENAL music, and so many other little things made me fall in love. I really hope the spirit of the first is maintained in GR2. This is absolutely a day 0 purchase for me and I cannot wait to have it in my hands.

I'm just sad that after playing the first on Vita, GR2 is now PS4. I think it is for the best, but I should probably get around to playing my PS4 copy to get a grip on how the PS4 vs. Vita experience plays out.

So hype for this game.

vypek

I still have to play the first one. Disc hasn't even entered my system. I better hurry up before this one comes out.

I forgot about that......just figured that Sony showing the game at E3 would get it more needed attention.

To be very clear, I am in the camp that wishes it was shown at the press conference, along with Ni-Oh, Persona, Nier, etc.

But at the same time, there is also the need to balance the perspective of whether or not it'll be shown at other press conferences (Gamescom, etc) and from a corporate perspective, what they want out of the press conference.

It's easy to think "more is better", but every press conference content is tailored to grab maximised exposure for the specific things revealed at the show. If we just look back at the hot takes from the conference, not every item is remembered as clearly as others, and the more you load into one conference, the more diluted each item gets. It works as a bulletpoint, but if Sony showed off more than just Farpoint at their show, it would not be as memorable since other VR titles are much catchier and more interest grabbing than Sony's 1st-party VR stuff.

Also, if we look at Sony's history with how they handle their press conferences, rarely does Gamescom presser and E3 presser have a lot of overlapping content. Whatever is shown at large-scale at E3, will be missing at Gamescom, vice-versa. Not always, but most of the time. Sometimes these things cause things to be shuffled accordingly.

With that being said, I still wish it got an E3 presser presence, because Sony America has really really done a shitty job of marketing Gravity Rush 2 and Sony Japan games not-named TLG in general.

Begaria

This game looks like The Last of Us, like all the other Sony 1st Party games. I have enough of all these Gravity-Games, with mindless action. And it has another boring female white character, flying through the city? Ugh. Next please.

Should've been a 6 foot white male protagonist that's slightly grizzled.

Top Bottom