• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great games you purchased based on the cover alone

The Warriors
t.jpg

Saw it at Best Buy.
I certainly knew of the movie but never saw it. It just showed me that the folks what made GTA and Manhunt now made a brawler.

Totally one of my favorites.

AHK_Hero

I thought it was a pretty fun turn based RPG, kind of a throw back to the 16 bit era. The only problem was the hilariously awful voice acting but even that was pretty entertaining in its own way.

Haha! This is brilliant. I would love to see a documentary on how they ended up with this ridiculous voice over.

OK let me try again with this thread topic since I screwed up before. I was maybe 7 or 8 at the local video game store looking for something to play when this caught my eye.

2WtiA3p.jpg

Aww yeah. Like the inside of my eight year old brain leaked out onto the cover of a Genesis game. My artistic inclinations led me to glorious side scrolling schmup action. Played it a ton that weekend and made some good memories despite only being able to beat the first level. Still one of my favorites to this day.

I cheated and beat the game with save states many years later.

The Warriors

Totally one of my favorites.

Love that game, and the movie!

Muffdraul

Too many to mention. I bought an SNES in the fall of 1991 and a Genesis in early 1993. I didn't really start reading gaming magazines until about 1995. So between '91 and '95 I'd just go to a shop and browse until something jumped out and tickled my fancy. I bought Zelda ALttP because it drove me crazy that the commercial didn't show the game at all and I had to find out what it was like. I didn't pay any attention during the 8-bit era so I didn't even know Zelda was a franchise at the time.

Fink

Okami! I didn't know anything about what the game was like. All I knew was that I had seen people draw the wolf on Deviantart.

UberLevi

Not sure if it counts because I didn't buy it exactly, but I got into the Mass Effect franchise because I was at a rental store one day and it was the only thing sticking out to me. Now it's my favorite franchise hands down.

Sora_N

Pokemon Blue got me into the series for life. I took 5 years break in my late teens but then straight back into it.

Dat blastoise

I've literally never done this. I've been reading game magazines or websites for as long as I can remember, so I always had a reason for buying games other than the cover. Also, we didn't have much money growing up so I didn't have money to waste on games I wasn't sure about.

Vectorman

Vectorman_cover.jpg

It was a cardboard box sleeve with metallic ink and a prize to win $25,000. This was the exact box I got. Game might not be great but to an 8 year old it was amazing.

pnutboy

1232108660-00.jpg

Had no idea what the game was about at the time, but that cover was too damn good to pass up. Ended up loving it.

God Enel

34284-Killer_Instinct_(Europe)-1459060298.jpg

Killer Instinct when I was a kid. Didnt know shit about this game. And then the black cartridge and Killer Cuts blew my mind.

00131-SNES-Mr-Nutz.jpg

Mr. Nutz another awesome one. When I and my brother are playing SNES together it's most probably this one.

vakarian32

I still remember the day I walked into Target with my dad on my 12th birthday, he bought me the original GBA and said I could choose one game.

0171.jpg

Had no idea what the game was about, just liked the look of the characters. So glad I picked Golden Sun though, it was my gateway to other RPG's.

Citadel

Demon's Souls for the PS3.
Metro 2033 for the Xbox 360.

Both games - and the eventual sequel(s) - became instant favourites of mine, moreso the latter.

Snaggle

Banned
I bought this off Play-Asia when it was released in Japan. I did have a DS at the time but I don't speak, read or write Japanese so there was no way to play it and i'm not into JRPG's. Bought it solely based on the beautiful boxart.

kHw5IeB.png

theJwac

Startropics_box.jpg

I lost the instructional manual though which caused me to have a bad time with this game. Keep in mind this was in the early 90s so I had no internet to rely on.

Jennings

I bought this without knowing anything at all about the game, specifically because the back cover art made it look so amazing. Starsiege: Tribes. There was also a great fold-out inlay, but I can't find images of it. Now it sits as one of the best gaming purchases I've ever made.

5SIm3q3.jpg

Het_Nkik

pEURZO4.png

Grabbed it because Donald Duck was looking cool on the cover.

Ended up one of my favorite Genesis game. Great non-linear platformer with cool puzzle elements.

Evolution_-_The_World_of_Sacred_Device_Coverart.png

It's not a great game by any means, but I didn't know any better.

250px-RaCbox.jpg

This one worked out great though. I have since bought every subsequent Ratchet game.

Citadel

Evolution_-_The_World_of_Sacred_Device_Coverart.png

It's not a great game by any means, but I didn't know any better.
Hah, I actually loved this game - along with Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2, those three games were the reason I loved my Dreamcast so much.

Well, those and House of the Dead. How can you not love that horrible voice acting

Top Bottom