• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great games you purchased based on the cover alone

DedValve

Banned
Animal_Crossing_Coverart.png

ok technically I got it because of the free memory card and lets face it. Memory cards where expensive AF. But I think Pokemon was also doing a promotion like that but it was some weird bank thing so I saw the cover on this and said "hey this look more fun than that weird poke bank game" and I bought it and I loved it.

Now include a 2 tb drive in every copy of AC: NX nintendo!

cj_iwakura

Castle Shikigami 2, and it literally changed my life. My obsession with that game is the reason I became a fan translator.

Hah, I actually loved this game - along with Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2, those three games were the reason I loved my Dreamcast so much.

It's got great character design and looks really fun, but I don't think the battle system is all that great. I remember really liking the story and characters especially, because it has a very MegaMan Legendish vibe to it.

Haven't played it over a decade and it one was one of my first RPGs. I do wonder if I wonder if I would be a little more accepting of it now.

MakanudoO

Neo Member
I thought it could be a good game. Same happened with Duke Nukem Forever. I showed an awfull taste. Then, I think of "The Saboteur", and my faith in cool covers gets restored.

250px-Eat_Lead.jpg

MakanudoO

Neo Member
This needs a sequel, or a port. I need this in my life.

You already have it. On PS3. It's not that old to need a port nor a remaster. Yet it would be nice to see PS4 newcomers enjoy it.

Edit: And again it's Atlus's. I'm starting to think they're a undervalued company.

Beyond-Good-and-Evil.jpg

I walked into a Best Buy the day Beyond Good and Evil came out and bought it without having any idea what it was because I like photography and I thought Jade was cute. It was a fun game.

MakanudoO

Neo Member
CaptainAhab said:
I walked into a Best Buy the day Beyond Good and Evil came out and bought it without having any idea what it was because I like photography and I thought Jade was cute. It was a fun game.

Dude. Huge image!

Josue

Back when used N64 carts would be lined up in a glass case, I pretty much bought most of my games based on the cover lol.

This one was pretty cool to me

Z0055239.jpg

Deadly-Premonition_X360_US_ESRBboxart_160w.jpg

The word of mouth about this game had not hit me, I bought it purely based on the cover, the fact that it appeared to be a horror game and that it was only $20.

KORNdoggy

Back before the internet and even many magazines for that matter, my method of buying games was looking for the coolest artwork in toys r us (back when you picked up a peice lf paper to take to the counter to get exchanged for the real game)

Some stand out games were solar jetman from rare and kabuki quantum fighter.

Tevious

I didn't really buy games based solely on the cover. I at least bought a game based on past knowledge of the series, recommendations, or previewing them somehow, either by a demo or video/review. However, I'm sure I rented many games based on the cover back in the 90s.

I can only think of one time that I bought a game based on the cover and that was back when I was maybe 7 and my mom told me I could get one of the games advertised in a flier. I picked out Golden Axe (NES), unless I am remembering the title wrong.

(On mobile, so I'll post a picture later)

Well, I can't even find it, so maybe I'm remembering the title wrong. Golden Axe apparently is a Sega game. I can't find any evidence of a NES version.

Tygamr

It wasn't a purchase, but I rented KOTOR from Blockbuster based pretty much just on the cover art. I mean, it being Star Wars definitely helped. Is one of my all time favorite games now.

daevv

Got it at Consumers Distributing. After looking through the in store catalog on my birthday. I picked this one out. Loved it!

b8DYr.jpg

I've never accidentally bought a good game, have done that for a few bad ones though. However, my mom bought two games for me just based on the cover, and those games were F-Zero and Goldeneye 007. So she's much better at this than I am.

These first 2 would have been the only games that stand out as things I bought without prior knowledge

the 3rd my dad bought on a blind buy because a local PC shop was selling it in a bundle with a flight stick

Warcraft_-_Orcs_%26_Humans_Coverart.png

I didn't have PC magazines growing up so console games I was aware of things but PC was mostly blind buys. I think I did just fine

Once I got the above games though the PC switch happened and I started knowing about pc games

Back when PC games still came in boxes, bought this on a whim because of the nice box art....

Homeworld_%28video_game%29_box_art.jpg

Still one of my top 10 favorite games.

As a kid when I had my PS1 I remember not buying any Final Fantasy because of the plain cover and now I have like multiple copies of each Final Fantasy game and I go out of my way to get the minimal white cover with amano logo hah.

Recently I was super interested in Sunset Overdrive only because of the box art before I saw gameplay. Game delivered though.

reKon

Banned
I bought Samurai Seven for PS2 because of the cover and it fucking sucked. Didn't play more than 10 mins of that game.

I bought Shinobi for PS2 because of the cover and it was fantastic.

Every game before I knew what a game review was.

So basically til I was like 12. Honestly most games I got til I was old enough were Bday/XMAS gifts from my mom. For not knowing a lick about games, she knocked it out of the park more often than not.

ValfarHL

Nooo, we can't let the thread die already.

One of the GOATs, and the game I've finished the most in my life.
Both alone, and with friends..

Was on a camping trip in Sweden with my parents when I bought this based on the cover.
Read the manual 100 times, and was miserable for the rest of the vacation cause I just wanted to play this sonofabtich.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Parasite Eve because I misread Eve for Evil. I was on a Resident Evil high at that time and English isn't my native language, so it was easy to get confused as a little kid.

Top Bottom