• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great new Mario Odyssey commercial

The Hermit

Some 1920x1080 wallpapers ive done, if anyone wants them:

Classy
supermariolalaland-cllvs6k.png

Original logo
supermariolalaland-orjssna.png

You dont really understand how comercials on TV work to get people excited for a game, do you?

This is the Golden Sun european commercial, this singlehandly sold the game and a gameboy adavance to nearly every person that saw it (the talk and excitement of the ad was amazing to hear during brake times on schools). Only a tiny glimpse of the game was shown in the ending, but kids were savy enough to know what they were getting into by buying the magazine that month, or seeing the copy of a friend that already brought the game to school. It became SO famous, that Camelot used the theater and lamp dragon to create a scenario and summon of it in Golden Sun 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvwdVp8Fvo&ab_channel=Xephon

The most impactful commercials have always been cinematic ones with little to not gameplay shown, with a song that catches the ear of the one watching tv (GoW's mad world commercial, thats also a great example, had no gameplay, just the main character running on clearly cinematic shots),. And thats not only for videogames, normal commercials that have were impactful were the ones were visuals and music attracted people, not the product shown.
Gameplay is great for trailers, not tv commercials.

So yeah, this musical smartly cut into tv running time, with just a glimpse of gameplay, is a GREAT commercial.
We can believe your opinion, or we can believe the thousands of commercials that became famous on the history TV doing the thing you dont like, your choice.

I completely forgot that golden sun ad. Amazing, and yet, no gameplay

Wamb0wneD

Also from the Edge review: there are nearly as many moons in Odyssey as there are Korok seeds in BOTW.

No fucking way. I always 100% 3D Marios... Don't do this to me lol. The Korok seeds were that many so you run across enough of them naturally to max out your inventory enough...
Nintendo please...

Majora

Hmmm not sure I buy that. I wouldn't balk at like 300-500 moons, but 900 seems absolutely monstrous.

900 exactly.

It kinda makes sense when you consider how easy/quick some of the moons in the videos we've seen so far are to get.

The guy with the issue has posted a photo of the closing paragraph or so. I'd link to it but it's banned right? Anyway a lot of the writing is cut off but you can clearly see it says 'korok seeds to find...(cut off)...Mario has moons but not by many' so I asked him if that's what it meant and he replied 'Yeah as far as I can make out (my eyes are blurred from an eye test) it says Link may have more seeds but not by many.'

Actually, thinking about it that makes sense. Didn’t Tostarena have something like 69 moons? 900 / 69 is 13, which is only two more than the number of Kingdoms we know about
(I’m betting on Delfino Isle and the Moon)
. I’m sure some kingdoms will have more or less moons than others, though.

No fucking way. I always 100% 3D Marios... Don't do this to me lol. The Korok seeds were that many so you run across enough of them naturally to max out your inventory enough...
Nintendo please...

Since BotW had 900 maybe Odyssey has around 700. Plus it'll be easier to find them in Odyssey since levels are closed off and you have Talkatoo or Toad to help you.

TheMoon

Some 1920x1080 wallpapers ive done, if anyone wants them:

Classy
supermariolalaland-cllvs6k.png

Original logo
supermariolalaland-orjssna.png

You dont really understand how comercials on TV work to get people excited for a game, do you?

This is the Golden Sun european commercial, this singlehandly sold the game and a gameboy adavance to nearly every person that saw it (the talk and excitement of the ad was amazing to hear during brake times on schools). Only a tiny glimpse of the game was shown in the ending, but kids were savy enough to know what they were getting into by buying the magazine that month, or seeing the copy of a friend that already brought the game to school. It became SO famous, that Camelot used the theater and lamp dragon to create a scenario and summon of it in Golden Sun 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvwdVp8Fvo&ab_channel=Xephon

The most impactful commercials have always been cinematic ones with little to not gameplay shown, with a song that catches the ear of the one watching tv (GoW's mad world commercial, thats also a great example, had no gameplay, just the main character running on clearly cinematic shots),. And thats not only for videogames, normal commercials that have were impactful were the ones were visuals and music attracted people, not the product shown.

So yeah, this musical smartly cut into tv running time, with just a glimpse of gameplay, is a GREAT commercial.
We can believe your opinion, or we can believe the thousands of commercials that became famous on the history TV doing the thing you dont like, your choice.

Now please make one with SARASALALAND!

700-800 moons wouldn't be too crazy. Keep in mind that there are 69 moons in the sand kingdom alone.

That's true, but I don't know if every world will wind up having that amount. For instance, the recent footage of the Cascade Kingdom showed
that it only had 50 regional coins, so I'd expect it to have fewer moons as well.

Either way, that would be a crazy number.

It kinda makes sense when you consider how easy/quick some of the moons in the videos we've seen so far are to get.

The guy with the issue has posted a photo of the closing paragraph or so. I'd link to it but it's banned right? Anyway a lot of the writing is cut off but you can clearly see it says 'korok seeds to find...(cut off)...Mario has moons but not by many' so I asked him if that's what it meant and he replied 'Yeah as far as I can make out (my eyes are blurred from an eye test) it says Link may have more seeds but not by many.'

Wow. I wonder how much less they could mean. I was thinking 500 would be the max but maybe it's more like 750. I hope it's a nice round number haha

Dyle

Loved the commercial, it does an excellent job of being memorable in its own right, selling the game, and selling the console. I'm not sure what it is about Nintendo's work, but I find myself tearing up when watching promos like this. I suppose it's because the games are so pure and fun in a time when everything is cynical, bad, and corrupt, but the reaction still seems weird to me.

The Hermit

Also from the Edge review: there are nearly as many moons in Odyssey as there are Korok seeds in BOTW.

Since the reveal of the moons, I noticed they were very similar to the korok seeds, that it reward basically any kind of exploration or experimentation.

I was happy and a bit worried, since it might banalize the reward.

Majora

So moons are really just busy work then?

Well no, the korok seeds in BOTW were just little extras to help you increase your inventory size. They were a very small part of the game.

In Mario Odyssey the moons ARE the game. Even the ones we've seen that are quick to get still have more variety than the cut/paste korok puzzles.

Crazyorloco

I agree. They don't need to show much to let people know about the game. People know what a mario game is like. Just show the new mechanics and we're good. I think it was a perfect commercial. I felt freaking so good watching it. That song is great. It's a feel good commercial. I can't hate on this.

We're in for something special.

Loved the commercial, it does an excellent job of being memorable in its own right, selling the game, and selling the console. I'm not sure what it is about Nintendo's work, but I find myself tearing up when watching promos like this. I suppose it's because the games are so pure and fun in a time when everything is cynical, bad, and corrupt, but the reaction still seems weird to me.

It had me feeling like that too. Like seeing an old friend doing well.

Imagine if they throw the entire handheld hitters as opposed the home console counterpart of this year:Animal Crossing,Fire Emblem,2D Mario,Kirby,Yoshi and 2D Zelda/True Paper Mario game.That would be insane

muteki

Well no, the korok seeds in BOTW were just little extras to help you increase your inventory size. They were a very small part of the game.

In Mario Odyssey the moons ARE the game. Even the ones we've seen that are quick to get still have more variety than the cut/paste korok puzzles.

To be honest this doesn't excite me, I'd rather less total macguffins that are individually more meaningful.

Giga Man

Mario Odyssey's marketing campaign is the best ever. I loved that musical trailer.

I wish I didn't see most of what was shown, though, but I'll live. Can't wait for launch!

muteki

One does not prevent the other.

Didn't realize this wasn't the Edge thread when I posted, but I look forward to see how this is implemented if true. Love to be proven wrong though.

You are right however real-world restraints on time and resources tend to make things difficult.

Gsnap

900 moons in a game with relatively compact and segmented areas, where everything you do gives you a moon, isn’t the same as 900 Korok seeds in a game where there’s also shrines, also side quests, also the main quest, also mini games, also enemy camps, also gear upgrades, and also all spread out over such wide open spaces.

If there are that many, and I kinda doubt there are exactly, it’ll be much more manageable, with each moon being more unique.

I've been containing the hype by simply ignoring all discussion on the game. Easy to do when I'm the only one of my PSN friends that owns a switch. But it just struck me that we're 16 days away from launch.

HYPE ACTIVATED

Lusankya

Well, we already speculated it to be way more than 600, so it's in line with the expectations.

Nintendo please...

Boss fights and "story" relevant moons can also be triple-moons, so it shouldn't be too much.

So moons are really just busy work then?

Not really, no. Haven't you seen some gameplay videos?

Top Bottom