• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great new Mario Odyssey commercial

Plum

In 9 days it'll be a the one year anniversary of the debut for "Mario Switch"
DL0LsqvW0AAeatr.jpg

Ah that brings back some memories. Remember when people thought it might be an auto-runner? Those were the days.

This game is like saving me from the brink of being a cynical sour puss with all the loot box shit going on. It's like a beacon of light in video game form.

NAPK1NS

I cringed at this post.
Oh my lord you guys. Everyone needs to relax. Game is going to be amazing. The promotional song that promotes in-game power ups and name drops the system itself if allowed to send a few hands running through hair. I swear this place can be so pitchfork + torches sometimes.

Not

Banned
This game is like saving me from the brink of being a cynical sour puss with all the loot box shit going on. It's like a beacon of light in video game form.

Aw yeah my dude. In-game currency ONLY

Deck out your ship and person without a credit card

NintendoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOh yeah

Hawk269

I am looking forward to the game as much as anyone...but it being a beacon of light is going a bit overboard. Go outside for a bit.

:)

Richie

Pretty much this will be our standard response. Mariachi is still a loved cultural icon of Mexico, after all.

Several compadres of mine and I were saddened to see Sombrero'd Mario replaced on the game's cover. It's good to see it'll be on the Switch Oddyssey box tho!

Anyone outside of Mexico trying to paint Sombrero'd Mario in a negative light will be laughed off, and rightfully so. Because really, what could be thought bad about it? Mario's clearly having a blast anytime you see him with Mexican apparel, the skeletons in the Mexican pueblo are charming as all hell....it's so so cool to see a character that's been beloved by many a Mexican now embracing our culture like this.

I recall when I went to watch Spiderman: Homecoming they had a newsreel before the movie started; very first thing they brought up was Oddyssey, and made a point out of highlighting he was wearing a Mexican outfit this time around! (As in, guys, see this awesome thing!)

This commercial only gets me all the more hyped. My Switch can't come soon enough.

Not

Banned
Oh my lord you guys. Everyone needs to relax. Game is going to be amazing. The promotional song that promotes in-game power ups and name drops the system itself if allowed to send a few hands running through hair. I swear this place can be so pitchfork + torches sometimes.

I don't think anyone's actually mad dude. We're having fun. It's an awesome commercial

Plum

Be careful. Keep talking like that and Super Mario Illiad on Switch 2 might end up with Wario Boxes which give one-time use emotes, costumes and power ups.

Not

Banned
Be careful. Keep talking like that and Super Mario Illiad on Switch 2 might end up with Wario Boxes which give one-time use emotes, costumes and power ups.

One-time use emotes lol

A gamer and his money are soon parted

This is one of those commercials you want to watch multiple times to catch all the little details you missed.

So hyped for this game and all of the creative things it does. The theme song is so damn catchy!

Coda

Classy trailer! I'm currently on my first flight with the Switch and it's been great but man would it be great to have this game right about now.

GoNintendo is reporting that the singer of Jump Up, Super Star is Kate Davis, jazz pianist and singer and also the English voice actress behind Tails, Sakura from Naruto, Sailor Venus.

Plum

Several compadres of mine and I were saddened to see Sombrero'd Mario replaced on the game's cover. It's good to see it'll be on the Switch Oddyssey box tho!

That whole debacle was misinformation about a simple cover update due to image composition and the then-recent reveal of the water kingdom. I feel that most of the worry about the Mariachi costume stems from that lol

PsychBat!

Banned
What's the pool on me up to right now? What’s it up to? What is it? 300 dollars? Is that it? 300? I’m a schoolteacher. I teach English composition. In this little town called Addley, Pennsylvania. The last 11 years I’ve been at Thomas Alva Edison High School. I was a coach of the baseball team in the springtime. Back home, I tell people what I do for a living and they think, well, now that figures, but over here, it’s a big, a big mystery. So I guess I’ve changed some. Sometimes I wonder if I’ve changed so much, my wife is even gonna recognize me whenever it is I get back to her. And how I’ll ever be able to tell her about days like today. Ah, Ryan… I don’t know anything about Ryan, I don’t care. The man means nothing to me, he’s just a name. But if, you know, if going to Ramelle, and finding him so he can go home, if that earns me the right to get back to my wife, well then, then that’s my mission.

Anyone outside of Mexico trying to paint Sombrero'd Mario in a negative light will be laughed off, and rightfully so. Because really, what could be thought bad about it? Mario's clearly having a blast anytime you see him with Mexican apparel, the skeletons in the Mexican pueblo are charming as all hell....it's so so cool to see a character that's been beloved by many a Mexican now embracing our culture like this.

I recall when I went to watch Spiderman: Homecoming they had a newsreel before the movie started; very first thing they brought up was Oddyssey, and made a point out of highlighting he was wearing a Mexican outfit this time around! (As in, guys, see this awesome thing!)

This commercial only gets me all the more hyped. My Switch can't come soon enough.

Basically.
North America needs to stop deciding by themselves what from other countries is racist or not. Let that country decide and shut up, im sure they are more than capable to know if something from their culture seems racist in media.

Richie

That whole debacle was misinformation about a simple cover update due to image composition and the then-recent reveal of the water kingdom. I feel that most of the worry about the Mariachi costume stems from that lol

Hahah yeah, it definitely made some wonder if Ninty themselves weren't taking precautions that had no reason to exist. Among my group of friends we understood the water kingdom reasoning, but still thought it a shame 'cause, so close to having Sombrero'd Mario in an official cover! You can bet I'm gonna default to that outfit more than once lmao

Plum

I don't think anyone's actually mad dude. We're having fun. It's an awesome commercial

I mean he is kind of right. The line:

"Don't you know it's time to raise our sales."

Shows that all Nintendo cares about is money. Through subliminal messaging such as this they are making a purchase of the game an obligation instead of asking you to buy it on its own merits. The song the orders one to "Grab coins with me, oh yeah," which just furthers this subliminal conditioning. This all contrasts with the following line:

"It's freedom like you never knew."

Which is clearly the voice of Nintendo's headquarters boasting about the "freedom" that financial greed brings. It's not relating to the player because, in the Capitalist rat race in which we live, freedom truly is something we never knew.

Not

Banned
I mean he is kind of right. The line:

"Don't you know it's time to raise our sales."

Shows that all Nintendo cares about is money. Through subliminal messaging such as this they are making a purchase of the game an obligation instead of asking you to buy it on its own merits. The song the orders one to "Grab coins with me, oh yeah," which just furthers this subliminal conditioning. This all contrasts with the following line:

"It's freedom like you never knew."

Which is clearly the voice of Nintendo's headquarters boasting about the "freedom" that financial greed brings. It's not relating to the player because, in the Capitalist rat race in which we live, freedom truly is something we never knew.

It's "sails"

EDIT: oh you're joking

ViolentP

I expect quality software from Nintendo's first-party offerings so I intend to go into this on a leap of faith as none of the marketing has done anything to excite me so far.

Top Bottom