• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Cambridge to close. Sony makes changes to European studios structure

Tapejara

This is awful news. Loved MediEvil back in the day and really enjoyed Killzone Mercs. Was hoping they'd be able to bring MediEvil back or at least continue the Killzone franchise. Hope everyone lands on their feet soon.

Sony's been closing a lot of studios. Lot of talent with a lot of PlayStation history has been lost these past few years. I don't know how stressful it must be to worry that the same thing might happen to you.

Loris146

I guess large development teams means you have to shut non profitable studios down a lot quicker than in the past. It drains $$$

Yep. One other reason is that Sony does not have extremely popular which can be used to do low/mid budget spin off. Killzone , Resistance etc... are not popular enough.

Anyway best luck to the team.

jmaine_ph

Looking at the games Cambridge developed in the past 5-10 years all of them could've been out sourced. No need to have a first party studio for them.

EmiPrime

Absolutely fucking awful, hope everyone there finds employment quickly.

This gen has been a disaster for British game development, and it pisses me off that we have such a technophobic, private capitalist driven government that doesn't do as much as so many other countries to work with studios and publishers to ensure these jobs stay in the UK and thrive like they even used to.

Says it all that even with our declining currency video game companies still don't think it's worth retaining their existing studios here let alone further investing in development here.

This won't be the end of it, I'm worried for media molecule and rare now.

Putty

A real shame and also not a complete shock...We are most certainly in a tricky position in the UK at the moment.

Hasney

Looking at the games Cambridge developed in the past 5-10 years all of them could've been out sourced. No need to have a first party studio for them.

To who? Nobody did a better game of that genre on the Vita than Killzone Mercenaryand no-one has done a better online VR FPS than RIGS, so I'm not sure you can without sacrificing quality.

UK market going down the drain like Australia's did. Surely due in part to Brexit.

Actually, the irony is that one of the few (some might say only) benefits of the crash in the value of the Pound is that it's more attractive for overseas companies to set up in the UK as it'll be cheaper for them.

Nicktendo86

Hmm makes me wonder how long Rare will keeps its door open, till Microsoft decide to shut them down.

I'm shocked they are still open. If (when?) Sea of Thieves flops you would think they would be in big trouble. Playtonic still seem to be picking up ex Rare devs though, thankfully.

Fularu

Banned
UC4 massively outdid the previous UC games just at launch.

You're stretching real hard and it's transparent as hell.

The uncharted series sold 28 million units before the release of UC4. (this obviously includes all the packed in versions, either with systems or controllers like UC1 (I don't remember if UC2 got a controller pack).

I'll need receipts on UC4 outselling UC2/3 without packins because you'd have to go out of your way to not get UC4 while purchasing a PS4 (at least in Europe, again).

jmaine_ph

To who? Nobody did a better game of that genre on the Vita than Killzone Mercenaryand no-one has done a better online VR FPS than RIGS, so I'm not sure you can without sacrificing quality.

In terms of quality you may be right and I can't answer that but from a business perspective it's probably cheaper to out source especially with the returns from both of those games at the moment.

Fularu

Banned
Of course Brexit has an effect, it gives Sony an incentive to leave the UK rather sooner than later.

Sony has been getting out of the UK for over 10 years no, why would this one specific occurence be linked ot Brexit of all things?

The MediEvil developer. :(

Oh man, this fucking blows. Has Sony been replacing all the studios they've axed over the past few years with new ones? Doesn't seem like it. Their first-party output is going to take a substantial drop at this rate.

Fat4all

Banned
That's too bad.

I think the only game I played of theirs was MediEvil PSP. Didn't really like it all that much, but I know they were really in there when it came to Sony's handheld stuff.

Hopefully the employee's land safely in other jobs.

Loudninja

The uncharted series sold 28 million units before the release of UC4. (this obviously includes all the packed in versions, either with systems or controllers like UC1 (I don't remember if UC2 got a controller pack).

I'll need receipts on UC4 outselling UC2/3 without packins because you'd have to go out of your way to not get UC4 while purchasing a PS4 (at least in Europe, again).

What are you even going on about.

You going to deduct UC2 packins to?

uncharted-2-ps3-slim-spain.jpg

and the uncharted 3 bundles?

u3_bundle_1316698497.jpg

Every big game gets bundled.

PSVR has been in development for ages so some of the games have probably been in development for a fairly long period of time as well. Even if its a success the units shifted probably don't equate to profits.

...?

UK chart data. UC4 did 190k launch week. The next highest launch is UC3 at 115-120k.

Luigiv

What does Sony have against British studios? Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool, Evolution and now Guerilla Cambridge. I'd be very worried right now if I were working at SIE London.

Edit: And Media Molecule. Forgot them.

krang

It's a shitty place for this to happen - not much else around there wrt game development, I don't think. Hopefully they get a job in the tech industry there if they don't want to move.

Takao

Banned
Of course Brexit has an effect, it gives Sony an incentive to leave the UK rather sooner than later.

What's left to lose? Media Molecule, North West and London are their last 3 studios and none of them seem large. If any of them get shut down it'll be because their stuff bombs.

Good luck to the talented people affected by this, hopefully they can get jobs with other studio's.

Killzone Mercs and Rigs were awesome games and I used to love the MediEvil games back in the PS1 / PSP days. Shame they had to go.

This is depressing. How could you Shu? Shoves the team to 2 platforms and then closes them for not selling as much because both platforms have terrible hardware sales. Pathetic.

maverick40

This is what I'm afraid of.

Also, how well Days Gone does will pretty much decide the fate of Sony Bend.

Guerrilla Cambridge put out Killzone mercenary and a brilliant VR game.

Media Molecule can't even explain to people what Dreams is and it is months or even a year out.

The game will sell nothing and the studio will be closed. I am surprised media Molecule is still open compare to Guerrilla Cambridge

That sucks.

And somehow I get the feeling that the support for PS VR declines pretty quickly. It's like back in the days when Sony closes some studios after the developement for a bunch of Vita launch games.

Top Bottom