• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games announces Decima Engine (Death Stranding, Horizon, Killzone)

Nice. Hopefully it's PS4 exclusive first so they can put all the time and resources into that. Should help speed up development.

jaypah

Some people have actually good hardware and want to see what the game would be like on it, and that's OK. I don't think it'll be available on PC, and it'll be worse off for it, but I get where the hopeful are coming from.

My only hope comes from the man himself saying there would be a PC version. I have a PS4 but I'd rather buy any multiplat games on PC. If he goes back on his word then that's fine.

Nzyme32

PS4 and PC are like identical so I don't think developing both would necessarily slow development.

Also of note - Guerrilla's Engine code base was made originally to target both PS3 and PC, and was adapted towards PS4, which apparently wasn't all that hard:

Nice. Hopefully it's PS4 exclusive first so they can put all the time and resources into that. Should help speed up development.

It is - that was what the SIE EU Coms manager said - PC is later. There is no way they don't give a sizeable window between the releases imo, might be several years gap.

People on GAF still need to learn the definition of begging. As if those that game on PC are marching up to the doors of Kojima Productions on their hands and knees. It's not "begging" when the game was already confirmed for PC. Until they confirm that it's no longer coming to PC, those trying to claim otherwise can STFU.

diaspora

While I personally don't think it'll come to PC- and the game would be worse off for it, I don't know if people asking for confirmation on a statement saying that it was coming to PC last year really qualifies as begging. At least not when a PC version hasn't been explicitly discounted.

People on GAF still need to learn the definition of begging. As if those that game on PC are marching up to the doors of Kojima Productions on their hands and knees. It's not "begging" when the game was already confirmed for PC. Until they confirm that it's no longer coming to PC, those trying to claim otherwise can STFU.

Until they talk about PC release directly and not in a deleted Q&A, please calm TF down.

A deleted Q&A holds no relevance of any kind with no explanation as to why it was deleted. They already "directly" spoke of the PC release. Some are just trying to convince themselves it didn't happen.

Fair enough. I hope PC release happens. I know it will happen. I bet it'll look glorious, but for now it's being showcased and made for PS4. I'd love to see what Decima can do for PC, but for now its at PSX for PS4 from SIE and will be the case till 2018.

Guymelef

PC version will come, but date probably depends of various things.
I mean, this is going to have a PS5 version for sure and if PS4 version is ready and launched before PS5 I think PC version will have to wait after PS5 version.

firelogic

Kojima is talking like this collaboration with Guerilla Games is just the beginning. Sounds like he wants to continue the relationship beyond Death Stranding. Who knows what may happen in the future but he sure seems happy with the arrangement right now.

jaypah

Why doesn't everyone just wait for an official update on the PC version instead of derailing the thread?

I don't know, it was brought up almost immediately and not by people asking if it would be on PC. More that people were asking (or making a case) for it being PS4 exclusive.

So, PS4 exclusive?

Death Stranding is practically 1st party.

SIE funding and publishing.
Cerny (PS4 lead architect) is the Technical Producer.
Guerrilla Games engine.
SIE visual arts studio doing all motion capture work.

PC release was mentioned at the project inception (prior to choosing engine, going on a worldwide trip) but I'm not so sure anymore.

It was always that as far as I knew.

But like I said, if it's only on PS4 that's fine. He can go back on his original word as it's his game to do what he pleases. I have a PS4 so I'll play it regardless.

Fury451

Banned
Death Stranding is practically 1st party.

SIE funding and publishing.
Cerny (PS4 lead architect) is the Technical Producer.
Guerrilla Games engine.
SIE visual arts studio doing all motion capture work.

PC release was mentioned at the project inception (prior to choosing engine, going on a worldwide trip) but I'm not so sure anymore.

Sony courting Kojima would be a genius move. Then again SFV released on PC, so this could be a "console exclusive" deal. Would seem a little odd though considering how much first party support does seem to be involved

Please if/when they make a new Killzone with this engine go back to the gritty WW2 space war drama that the original game started with.

Would be the best. Please GG!

Apt101

Damn. Sony has a lot of talent under their roof right now. I look forward to seeing what this collaboration produces.

jaypah

Sure, but with SIE not only funding but GG and Cerny deeply involved with development, I will be surprised if it still does. If it does come PC, I would be as bold to say that its due to Kojima's wish.

That'd be great as I assume the original plan to release on PC was his and not Sony's. Though they may have offered enough to kill the PC version. Shame if so.

Damn. Sony has a lot of talent under their roof right now. I look forward to seeing what this collaboration produces.

Yeah, it's really one of those "match made in Heaven" type of deals.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think it makes a lot of sense for Sony to have an internal middleware solution they can offer to various partners and internal studios.

You now have Guerrilla (Cambridge and Amsterdam), Kojima Productions, and Supermassive (are they still partnered with Sony?) being served by the same tech base, and I imagine they will not be the last studios to use this.

Timed exclusive with delayed PC release. If Sony had secured full exclusivity they'd be shouting ONLY ON PS4 from the rooftops.

They don't really need to since it's their IP, especially with their and their fan base's long history with Kojima and most of his fans for obvious reasons are console gamers. Even if Sony does still go ahead and publish it on PC it was always going to be a wait as it is Sony's game.

Maybe they're not sure if it'll take until PS5 lol

PC version will come, but date probably depends of various things.
I mean, this is going to have a PS5 version for sure and if PS4 version is ready and launched before PS5 I think PC version will have to wait after PS5 version.

Yeah. Part of the deal since the beginning made it Sony's IP so since the beginning it was always going to be primarily positioned as a PS4/5 system seller and the game is pretty much first party and seemingly became even more so than probably originally planned given the escalation of resources Sony is providing. They'll probably work on one version at a time though they probably will do it for Kojima if that was part of the deal.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Sure, but with SIE not only funding but GG and Cerny deeply involved with development, I will be surprised if it still does. If it does come PC, I would be as bold to say that its due to Kojima's wish.

The bit about Kojima's studio and GG collaborating on an internally developed, proprietary games engine that's Sony's intellectual property is the most surprising bit. Either Sony is going third party with that engine (very unlikely), or Kojima's new studio is geared up to join Sony and become an official first party.

vpance

It's cool to see these 2 powerhouses collaborating. Kojima must have some largely unknown tech geniuses that followed him post Konami.

This is better than my previous dream collab of GG and From :)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I think it makes a lot of sense for Sony to have an internal middleware solution they can offer to various partners and internal studios.

You now have Guerrilla (Cambridge and London), Kojima Productions, and Supermassive (are they still partnered with Sony?) being served by the same tech base, and I imagine they will not be the last studios to use this.

Decima becoming Sony's middleware for all of their internal studios would be a no brainer. But I don't see why Sony would want to share all of that proprietary software with others. Sony isn't in the middleware business, they're not going to be selling/licensing Decima to everybody with enough funds. Decima is like Frostbyte, EA's middleware engine. Only internal EA studios work with Frostbyte, but no outsiders because creating a state of the art 3D engine with the entire toolset chain is an enormously costly endeavor that's only worthwhile when it can outclass the competition. And that's why such an engine isn't shared with the outside world.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Decima becoming Sony's middleware for all of their internal studios would be a no brainer. But I don't see why Sony would want to share all of that proprietary software with others. Sony isn't in the middleware business, they're not going to be selling/licensing Decima to everybody with enough funds. Decima is like Frostbyte, EA's middleware engine. Only internal EA studios work with Frostbyte, but no outsiders because creating a state of the art 3D engine with the entire toolset chain is an enormously costly endeavor that's only worthwhile when it can outclass the competition. And that's why such an engine isn't shared with the outside world.
I'm expecting it to be somewhat more limited than that as I don't imagine Santa Monica, Polyphony, or Naughty Dog dropping their tech stack.

I do think it's a topic that will come up whenever someone is making a new IP or a game that needs a wide variety of technology that doesn't exist in their current engine though.

I'm not sure there's a real benefit to Knack 3 being on The Knack Engine™ when Decima gets translated into Japanese for example.

You now have Guerrilla (Cambridge and London), Kojima Productions, and Supermassive (are they still partnered with Sony?) being served by the same tech base, and I imagine they will not be the last studios to use this.

London?

But yeah, it does make a lot of sense for Sony to have something a bit more extensive than just PhyreEngine. Though I don't think Supermassive are working with Sony at the moment.

Agree 99% without all the aggression of STFU, lol.

I am excited for this game in the context that it was earlier reported to be coming to PC. If it doesn't come like it was originally reported then, yes it will be disappointing, but I won't be getting a PS4 just for this.

Kojima understands Guerilla's technical brilliance.
Real recognise real.

It's also hilarious that Guerilla handed over their engine source code to kojima as a gift before anything was signed lol!

tuxfool

Banned
OléGunner;225945999 said:
Kojima understands Guerilla's technical brilliance.
Real recognise real.

It's also hilarious that Guerilla handed over their engine source code to kojima as a gift before anything was signed lol!

It isn't like the source is theirs, really. It belongs to Sony.

PS4 and PC are like identical so I don't think developing both would necessarily slow development.

Not saying that PS4 should get the game first, but regardless of how similar PS4 and PC are in their architecture, developing on a separate platform and making sure it has all the bells and whistles expected of a PC release absolutely would slow down development, as would any additional platforms.

Games coming late to PC a lot of the time isn't due to devs treating PC gamers like second class citizens, as much as many of them would like to think that.

Edit: Since when was Death Stranding a Sony-owned IP? I must have missed this.

Top Bottom