• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Caim

This upgrade pack is a mess. I thought Rev 2 was supposed to include all the DLC characters from Revelator, but I installed the upgrade and Dizzy et al are still unavailable. Does regular Rev 2 not include them?

Dizzy was always a separate purchase.

I dunno about Haehyun and Raven though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This upgrade pack is a mess. I thought Rev 2 was supposed to include all the DLC characters from Revelator, but I installed the upgrade and Dizzy et al are still unavailable. Does regular Rev 2 not include them?
Sounds right, 16+20= near 40 rev 2

Upgrade package to the latest installment of the series 'Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2.' Besides the additional playable characters such as Baiken and Answer, additional scenarios are available for play with improved balance for all characters.

The standalone comes with them

mcmmaster

What kind of bullshit is this. So for first time buyers on Steam I have to pay £23 for Rev, £8 for Kum & Dizzy, and then £14 on top of that for Rev 2 upgrade. So £45 in total, what kind of extortion is this on PC. I was really interested in getting into Guilty Gear with Rev 2 but at that price i'm really not up for it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What kind of bullshit is this. So for first time buyers on Steam I have to pay £23 for Rev, £8 for Kum & Dizzy, and then £14 on top of that for Rev 2 upgrade. So £45 in total, what kind of extortion is this on PC. I was really interested in getting into Guilty Gear with Rev 2 but at that price i'm really not up for it.

There should be a 40 stand alone? If not then ya the 5 extra is weird, but lol at the hissy fit over £5

I never had Kum and she's not in my rev2 upgrade.

Sounds right, 16+20= near 40 rev 2

The standalone comes with them

It's pretty bullshit that the package that's advertised as an upgrade to Rev 2 doesn't actually include all of the content of stand-alone Rev 2. How the hell is anyone supposed to know that?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's pretty bullshit that the package that's advertised as an upgrade to Rev 2 doesn't actually include all of the content of stand-alone Rev 2. How the hell is anyone supposed to know that?

because it says so
Upgrade package to the latest installment of the series 'Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2.' Besides the additional playable characters such as Baiken and Answer, additional scenarios are available for play with improved balance for all characters.

I already had everything, but I was under the assumption that the DLC upgrade was going to include Dizzy, Kum etc. as well. The PSN description says otherwise, of course, but that was only added to the store today. Leading up to this, it sounded like you could just upgrade to get everything.

Dueck

Banned
Baiken has been my waifu since before I knew that word existed or what it meant. My actual wife doesn't care. It took long enough to have her back. Xrd screwed me, because Johnny was my backup... Ultimately I found I-No's inputs worked well with my style, so now I have to really decide lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I already had everything, but I was under the assumption that the DLC upgrade was going to include Dizzy, Kum etc. as well. The PSN description says otherwise, of course, but that was only added to the store today. Leading up to this, it sounded like you could just upgrade to get everything.

They never said that

Then you need to up your reading comprehension skills past grade school
I'm sorry, please highlight where it says "does not actually include all the content in Rev 2"

Right here
Not helpful.

Arcsys said Rev 2 will give you all the previous characters, and it does. Until today it's never been clear that the upgrade package doesn't give you full Rev 2. It doesn't even change the game icon on the PS home screen. So a warning to anybody hoping that the upgrade pack gives you full Rev 2: it doesn't.

mcmmaster

There should be a 40 stand alone? If not then ya the 5 extra is weird, but lol at the hissy fit over £5

This is no hissy fit, I just don't think I should have to pay £40 or over for the third iteration in a single fighting game, and there is no option to buy Rev 2 as a standalone on PC, you can only get it through digital upgrade for Rev 1.

This is just Arc wanting to squeeze as much as they can out of the PC fanbase, i'm positive Rev 1 launched last Dec for £30 on Steam when you could easily find it brand new £10-15 on PS4.

Edzi

This is no hissy fit, I just don't think I should have to pay £40 or over for the third iteration in a single fighting game, and there is no option to buy Rev 2 as a standalone on PC, you can only get it through digital upgrade for Rev 1.

This is just Arc wanting to squeeze as much as they can out of the PC fanbase, i'm positive Rev 1 launched last Dec for £30 on Steam when you could easily find it brand new £10-15 on PS4.

Do we know this for sure? I thought they might add a standalone/bundle as we got closer to release?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Then grats you are paying near the same price as anyone else that is new

rev 2 cost 40

Huh, the upgrade doesn't even include Kum and Dizzy? The Italian description on the store is EXTREMELY misleading then, since it says "All Rev.2 contents are available, including Baiken and Answer". It's a shame since I don't have Kum and I'd need to spend more to buy that. Not really happy with this, especially since the upgrade isn't even working for some people :/

Pompadour

I guess I don't care either way but it's nice that early adopters got rewarded. If you bought Rev 1 and downloaded the DLC characters as they came out they were all free. I don't know how it is on Steam but you didn't even have to buy Rev, just "buy" the characters for free and if you ever got the game they'd be unlocked.

Does the standalone Rev 2 come with other previously released DLC aside from the characters?

Eolz

So, is it alright to get the crossbuy upgrade on PSN?
I have Rev1 on PS4, but reading on Twitter, it seems that there's lots of issues on the EU side...

edit: wait, is 1.06 the latest version on PS4? Because I got the 1.05 one only...

Thinking about getting this but my biggest fear is online being a wasteland. How is online population for previous games? And about how many hours of content is SP?

Slaythe

Thinking about getting this but my biggest fear is online being a wasteland. How is online population for previous games? And about how many hours of content is SP?

It's fine on PS4. It was populated decently.

It has crossplay with ps3.

As for SP, er it's hard to say.

They have a lot of tutorials, combo trials, arcade mode, mission modes...

But the story is basically a movie, a long movie, but it's not playable.

It's fine on PS4. It was populated decently.

It has crossplay with ps3.

As for SP, er it's hard to say.

They have a lot of tutorials, combo trials, arcade mode, mission modes...

But the story is basically a movie, a long movie, but it's not playable.

Wait really?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Korigama

Wait really?
Yes, completely different approach from most fighting game story modes, which usually come up with arbitrary reasons for characters to fight in order to give the player something to do. I much prefer it to the approach of Arc's other fighters, but YMMV. Still, arcade mode provides story content for each character that acts as a prologue to the full story mode.

Also, I wasn't expecting the upgrade to Rev2 and the standalone version to have disparities in content included (which makes me feel that much better about recommending anyone without the original to wait on the standalone one instead).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Huh, the upgrade doesn't even include Kum and Dizzy? The Italian description on the store is EXTREMELY misleading then, since it says "All Rev.2 contents are available, including Baiken and Answer". It's a shame since I don't have Kum and I'd need to spend more to buy that. Not really happy with this, especially since the upgrade isn't even working for some people :/
If you own Rev 1 then you should know that dizzy and kum are not Rev 2 content they are Rev 1 dlc. It's not misleading at all.

i-Jest

Yes, completely different approach from most fighting game story modes, which usually come up with arbitrary reasons for characters to fight in order to give the player something to do. I much prefer it to the approach of Arc's other fighters, but YMMV. Still, arcade mode provides story content for each character that acts as a prologue to the full story mode.

Also, I wasn't expecting the upgrade to Rev2 and the standalone version to have disparities in content included (which makes me feel that much better about recommending anyone without the original to wait on the standalone one instead).

Yeah, I for one like this approach better. I'm sure some anime purist must think it blasphemy to see and enjoy anime in 3D though.

MechaX

I knew this would be the case with the upgrade, but I think Arcsys could have alleviated a lot of potential confusion by explicitly stating "Dizzy/Raven/Kum are Rev 1 DLC characters only, and are only included in the retail release that combines Rev 1 and 2 content; the upgrade only includes Rev 2 characters Baiken/Answer."

There is only one harm I could see from them doing that, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and not assume that's the case.

I knew this would be the case with the upgrade, but I think Arcsys could have alleviated a lot of potential confusion by explicitly stating "Dizzy/Raven/Kum are Rev 1 DLC characters only, and are only included in the retail release that combines Rev 1 and 2 content; the upgrade only includes Rev 2 characters Baiken/Answer."

There is only one harm I could see from them doing that, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and not assume that's the case.

So you get 2 new characters and what else for upgrading?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Raven is part of the base game he isn't a dlc chracter

So you get 2 new characters and what else for upgrading?
Arcade mode story for jam, johnny, raven, kum, dizzy, baiken, answer

New story chapters to the main story

The balance changes

A few new missions and figures, I haven't downloaded it yet so I'm not sure on the smaller scale side of things

The main draw of the upgrade is the new characters/balance/story stuff

If you own Rev 1 then you should know that dizzy and kum are not Rev 2 content they are Rev 1 dlc. It's not misleading at all.

I don't know, considering they're included in the Rev.2 physical disc it's not far fetched to assume they'd be included in the upgrade as well. PQube seems confused as well, according to this chain of tweets :p
If even PQube got this wrong they really needed to word this better.

Korigama

Arcade mode story for jam, johnny, raven, kum, dizzy, baiken, answer

New story chapters to the main story

The balance changes

A few new missions and figures, I haven't downloaded it yet so I'm not sure on the smaller scale side of things

The main draw of the upgrade is the new characters/balance/story stuff
Johnny already had an arcade mode story in Rev1, but the others are right.

I bought a fresh physical of Rev 2 because I'm a big collector/nerd and it comes with all the characters.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
People are assuming the update was more fair than led to believe. Maybe in GGxr3d turbo championship edition
It was fair to me, I paid for Rev 1 got kum free, got dizzy free, and got a nice 20 buck upgrade a year later.

The entire point of the 20 buck upgrade was to stop spitting in the face of the people who supported them with the dlc characters

People gonna be dumb and cry no matter what asw does I guess.

Slaythe

I mean, I got Kum Dizzy and Raven for free.

They were pretty generous to the first timers.

This situation is only bad for people that jumped on it midway.

People gonna be dumb and cry no matter what asw does I guess.

Why so savage all the time ?

People are thinking of supporting this niche game, if there has been confusion because of the physical and digital release having different content, that doesn't instantly make them dumb. Chill out a bit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why so savage all the time ?

People are thinking of supporting this niche game, if there has been confusion because of the physical and digital release having different content, that doesn't instantly make them dumb. Chill out a bit.
Nah, I'm done with the chill. I've seen this same round about crap from the same type of people for 6 years now. Even I have my limits 6 years is said limit

If you are new and you want all the content throw down 40 for stand alone rev 2

If you are not new and bought rev for 30 or 20 hoping you got all the dlc stuff that sucks and I feel for you at the same time I dont.

At the end of the day everyone who bought Rev 1 at launch payed 60 we got the dlc stuff handed to us then we upgraded to rev 2 for 20 for 80 total.

Getting rev 1 late for cheap buying the dlc characters cheap then buying rev 2 upgrade is still cheaper than most people payed overall.

If it sounds like I'm crying about what ASW is doing then I'm sorry, it's not my intention. I guess it might sound that way because A) English isn't my first language and B) I'm a bit pissed off since I spent 17€ for content I can't access at all since the upgrade didn't work.

I really do think they should've explained the upgrade program a bit better though, especially when it says that you get all the Rev 2 content. Both physical and digital versions of Rev 2 include Kum and Dizzy, so that sentence implies you should get them as well. It's not a huge issue, I already have Dizzy and paying 7€ more for Kum won't kill me, but I really can't say it was explained well :/

Top Bottom