• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'll try and find the time to set it up tomorrow. It's 200 songs, man.

You have failed this city thread!

tumblr_nezrv7cTP61qzukcpo2_500.gif

If it's just essentially the fully mixed track and video with no track separation, that feels like a step away (less interactive) from what I think these games should be, like just playing on top of some music. That's what I don't like about this GHTV thing. I feel like it's Activision not "getting it" when it comes to interacting with music in a game and counter to the original spirit of GH and what made it special.

Wait, has this been confirmed or anything? Do they really not use separated audio tracks for the guitar?

it still has the "pling plong" when you miss and the song sounds like shit when you do, so what am I missing?

Focus on the sound of the other, non-guitar instruments when a note is missed. It's a pretty subtle difference when just watching a video but it's the kind of thing that's much more noticeable while actually playing the game. Even still, some people are much more perceptive of things like that than others, and I don't mean to sound pretentious in saying that.

In fact, I would bet that the vast, vast majority of players won't even notice the lack of guitar stems unless told about it by someone else. FSG/Activision likely found that out in playtesting.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Focus on the sound of the other, non-guitar instruments when a note is missed. It's a pretty subtle difference when just watching a video but it's the kind of thing that's much more noticeable while actually playing the game. Even still, some people are much more perceptive of things like that than others, and I don't mean to sound pretentious in saying that.

In fact, I would bet that the vast, vast majority of players won't even notice the lack of guitar stems unless told about it by someone else. FSG/Activision likely found that out in playtesting.

fair enough, I was never a guitar hero (or rock badn) expert, far from it, I top out at Hard in those games, Im pretty casual so I dont notice a difference :/

JPS Kai

are these permanent unlocks? or temporary boosts?

Guitar upgrades are permanent, note highways are permanent, hero powers (with the exception of the auto clear a passage) are consumable. Buy a pack of 10 with coins. These power ups are the ones you use when you tilt up the guitar and can raise/lower the difficulty for a section, increase score, and a few other perks. They're all locked away until you hit specific levels. Think perks from CoD.

Source: I picked up the PS4 version from a mom and pop shop that put the bundles out early.

Guitar upgrades are permanent, note highways are permanent, hero powers (with the exception of the auto clear a passage) are consumable. Buy a pack of 10 with coins. These power ups are the ones you use when you tilt up the guitar and can raise/lower the difficulty for a section, increase score, and a few other perks. They're all locked away until you hit specific levels. Think perks from CoD.

Source: I picked up the PS4 version from a mom and pop shop that put the bundles out early.

Do you know if there's any sort of Prestige Mode type thing with the leveling system?

I have been playing it for a couple days man. It doesn't have separated tracks.

Wow, that is a massive, massive disappointment.

I get it with being able to FC everything :p, but that totally destroys the point of the game when you are supposed to be "playing" the track. Coming from someone who can do the vast majority of 5/6 Expert on RB, it's still fun knowing the music you are playing is because you are doing well.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

it still has the "pling plong" when you miss and the song sounds like shit when you do, so what am I missing?

The guitar track still plays even when you aren't. It's the equivalent of air guitaring versus an actual audio response with the guitar audio playing when you push buttons

I have no idea. Leveling is a pretty grindy affair (doing the premium shows does help a bit) and I'm nowhere close to the cap.

Yeah, I didn't expect anyone to be near the level cap yet but wasn't sure if there wasn't anything in the menus that referenced that sort of thing even before level capped.

I was joking about the whole "just FC everything" thing.

JPS Kai

Yeah, I didn't expect anyone to be near the level cap yet but wasn't sure if there wasn't anything in the menus that referenced that sort of thing even before level capped.

I was joking about the whole "just FC everything" thing.

If there is, it'll certainly give players a reason to keep going beyond just the 'strum 1,000,000 times during normal gameplay' trophy.

RevenWolf

Wow, that is a massive, massive disappointment.

I get it with being able to FC everything :p, but that totally destroys the point of the game when you are supposed to be "playing" the track. Coming from someone who can do the vast majority of 5/6 Expert on RB, it's still fun knowing the music you are playing is because you are doing well.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

The guitar track still plays even when you aren't. It's the equivalent of air guitaring versus an actual audio response with the guitar audio playing when you push buttons

Man that kills the game for me, this would drive me up the wall.

Will there be pretty decent support for GHTV after release?

Kind of bummed that the only real 80's metal songs are "Hangar 18", "Round and Round", and "Breaking the Law". I guess "Epic" is as well to an extent.

Does the GH Live Guitar work in Rock Band 4? Really hoping to have a full band set again.

Nope, the guitar is completely different. 6 buttons in a 3x2 "grid" VS traditional 5 buttons in a row layout.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

FSG has said that since they have a lot of analytics tools build into the GHTV service, they're able to easily see what content players are playing and avoiding and will be able to adjust GHTV content according to the playerbase's tastes.

Does the GH Live Guitar work in Rock Band 4? Really hoping to have a full band set again.

Harmonix said that they'd try to get it to work, but you may as well not even bother getting the Live guitar for Rock Band.

Get Guitar Hero Live if you want to play Guitar Hero Live, don't get it if all you want is an extra controller.

antitrop

Will there be pretty decent support for GHTV after release?

Kind of bummed that the only real 80's metal songs are "Hangar 18", "Round and Round", and "Breaking the Law". I guess "Epic" is as well to an extent.

Hangar 18 is one of those songs I never get tired of playing, but yeah, I'm always an advocate for more metal. Warriors of Rock is my absolute favorite guitar game.

Breaking the Law is my favorite Priest song, but I thought Painkiller from Rock Band 2 was infinitely more fun to play.

Rhaknar

So this game has less songs than GH3 (73) and WT (86), the 2 last gh games I played... wtf

nice of you to ignore the 200 songs that come day 1 with GHTV

seriously, this is "is the WII U just a pad??!?" level of misinformation all over again

It's the guitar track that is broken away from the rest of the audio, so they can mute it when you miss a note without muting the whole song.
Is it possible there could be something software side that can isolate the guitar part and make it louder/softer as the situation depends? It will feel weird not having any effect on the actual music.

Either way, this is just another reason why I'm more excited about the Live half of the game.

edit: I kept reading, I guess the master volume goes down when you mess up? Pretty weak =|

SFenton

Is it possible there could be something software side that can isolate the guitar part and make it louder/softer as the situation depends? It will feel weird not having any effect on the actual music.

Either way, this is just another reason why I'm more excited about the Live half of the game.

Nope. We aren't anywhere near that level of audio manipulation, unfortunately. If that were the case, we'd have master stems for every song ever.

Korezo

nice of you to ignore the 200 songs that come day 1 with GHTV

seriously, this is "is the WII U just a pad??!?" level of misinformation all over again

10 years later those 83 or 72 songs are still on the disc, I wonder how many will be on GH live.

Some pictures:

I'll take more later.

Menus are looking sleek.

Also, Reddit confirmed daily credit rewards.

ubLMeQG.jpg

Not sure whether play after the five days will get you even more, but for perspective 1800 credits will net you 3 play tokens.

Also we've absolutely killed Warriors of Rock's OT post count in one day. Not bad.

Rhaknar

10 years later those 83 or 72 songs are still on the disc, I wonder how many will be on GH live.

Ah sorry I didnt realise we were minority reporting our games now, my bad

SFenton

I still cannot get over how beautiful the UI is.

Yeah, let's take a second to appreciate that for the first time in ten goddamn years, a Guitar Hero game has gotten a menu layout to be great.

(DJH2 was pretty damn close.)

...also especially in light of the fact that RB4 might actually have a worse song navigation system than GH5/WoR.

It hurts to say this, but this looks much more interesting than RB4 so far. The UI is beautiful, the note highway looks great, the new guitar seems interesting... Hmm. After how intensely disappointing I found RB4, I'm almost tempted.

I agree that the UI looks great.
They just copied the Xbox One dashboard guys!

Will be picking up my Wii U pre-order tomorrow, but really doubt I'll be able to get all that much time with it as I have an essay due Wednesday and a big exam Thursday.

Rhaknar

Looking more and more like Im going to start this on easy to re-learn

antitrop

Looking more and more like Im going to start this on easy to re-learn

Hard for me. I expect to be on Veteran by the end of tomorrow.

I also expect to be posting tomorrow about how it's taking longer to get used to than I expected and I'm actually going to learn on Normal and then try to bump it up to Hard by the end of the day. :p

I'm going in with confidence, though, if I could do Through the Fire and Flames on Expert, I can do this.

Maddocks

Buddy got his review copy today, didn't know jurnos had it so good. GH deluxe with two guitars and mic along with two candy crush coloring books. Jelly.

Top Bottom