• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hajime Tabata: "Currently no plans to reveal more info about Versus XIII"

Nerokis

So your saying that because they fucked him over with other projects they deemed more important and took away his development staff for 14 1.0 and FF13 projects, it comes back to the 'Nomura was incompetent and can't manage projects" FUD again?

God, it's one thing to be defensive, but that's one of the worst uses of 'FUD' I've seen in awhile. What next, going to accuse someone of astroturfing?

Here's what I'm saying. You'll notice "Nomura is a garbage human being, and should never touch a game again" isn't among the following points.

1). It's contradictory to say "we don't know what happened, but Nomura deserves no blame for Versus XIII's failure."

2). Nothing about the Versus XIII situation makes Nomura look good.

3). When we distribute blame with little to go on, it doesn't make much sense to avoid placing the slightest amount on the shoulders of the person who was in charge of the project. Pointing to things like FFXIV's failure shows the challenges Nomura was dealing with. . .but Versus XIII being given so little prioritization isn't a great sign to begin with.

4). You're free to wish Versus XIII went somewhere, but since it never did, it's pointless to be bitter that FFXV is a different thing.

Ray Down

Banned
Kitase should really go back to directing if you ask me. He did direct FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX... And all of them had a clear vision from the get go.

"He's a creator, not a businessman."
Drunk Guchi 2016

But I agree, maybe if he didn't let Nojima or Toriyama go crazy we could have a more legit sequel to X-2. Like there's a world where the main religion for HUNDREDS of years is basically an out right lie...and we really don't get the fallout from that in any effective way. We instead get a sequel about a ghost trying to get some giant robot doomsday weapon to avenge his died girlfriend, and Yuna and friends with Weapon spheres (which exist now apparently). Oh and somehow this guy may or may not be the real Tidus, and the Tidus we know may just be some incomplete memory reformed( How and why people forgot I don't know)

Koozek

Other teams are working on it outside of SE, mainly Cyberconnect2.

I do wonder why Kitase isn't just directing the games, seems like he's just done with that life. Though I bet he's having a larger hand in this compared to other project he produced.
There's a hilarious story behind that:

This is what Kitase said a year before the remake was revealed, so I guess he just doesn't feel like taking on such a huge responsibility anymore:

According to Kitase, “staff availability and budget” are two of the biggest obstacles that prevent the remake from being greenlit, but there’s also another barrier in its way—Kitase’s own motivation to work on such a project.

“Even if I casually say I would like to do that, because it would be a huge project I would have to motivate myself to the level that I really am prepared to take on this huge responsibility,” Kitase said.

He continued: “I don’t know if those three things will happen simultaneously. It has to tick lots of very big boxes. I won’t rule out the possibility, but it would take a lot to make it happen. But should I ever take it on, it would have to be the biggest project I’ve done. My life work. So I would have to be as highly motivated as that to end up with something I’m very happy with. It’s a huge thing for me.”

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't believe Nomura's ambitions and visions ruins games. In fact it's his ambitions that made what SE is now. I personally think his visions are pretty good and despite the flak he gets here in GAF, you have to admit there are a lot of people attracted to his visions.

The issue is sometimes his visions are vague teasers (see KH1 secret ending and KH2 came out at 4-5 years after which is still a bit long, Versus XIII) and have potential to be overly ambitious, which can cause problems down the line (see how messed up KH's story is now). But who knows, maybe SE is at fault for possibly modifying his visions?

Speaking of KH...i still find it sad that Nomura originally only wanted to launch BBS after KH2 came out before 3, and he originally wanted it on PS2.

However due to the development hell of Versus and Disney needing their brand and product continuously advertised, he had essentially nothing else to work on but those KH projects, even when he had to tie the story into a pretzel just to put something out there and still not work on KH3 which did not have development priority or a budget or an engine to use at the time.

God, it's one thing to be defensive, but that's one of the worst uses of 'FUD' I've seen in awhile. What next, going to accuse someone of astroturfing?

Here's what I'm saying. You'll notice "Nomura is a garbage human being, and should never touch a game again" isn't among the following points.

1). It's contradictory to say "we don't know what happened, but Nomura deserves no blame for Versus XIII's failure."

2). Nothing about the Versus XIII situation makes Nomura look good.

3). When we distribute blame with little to go on, it doesn't make much sense to avoid placing the slightest amount on the shoulders of the person who was in charge of the project. Pointing to things like FFXIV's failure shows the challenges Nomura was dealing with. . .but Versus XIII being given so little prioritization isn't a great sign to begin with.

4). You're free to wish Versus XIII went somewhere, but since it never did, it's pointless to be bitter that FFXV is a different thing.

I don't think your looking at it the fair way. Listen, i'm sorry for sounding dramatic so hear me out.

I'm not bitter about Versus(much)

I'm just saying. He didn't have a development staff to work on Versus much at all. So he had to occupy his time with other projects. He had plenty of things done for Versus in 2011 based on the released trailer, but that was built up over years of off and on work when he actually got the time and the staff together to do things.

It is hardly a fair conclusion to make that he was bad at making the game so they didn't give him staff to make it. How does that make sense?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
"He's a creator, not a businessman."
Drunk Guchi 2016

But I agree, maybe if he didn't let Nojima or Toriyama go crazy we could have a more legit sequel to X-2. Like there's a world where the main religion for HUNDREDS of years is basically an out right lie...and we really don't get the fallout from that in any effective way. We instead get a sequel about a ghost trying to get some giant robot doomsday weapon to avenge his died girlfriend, and Yuna and friends with Weapon spheres (which exist now apparently). Oh and somehow this guy may or may not be the real Tidus, and the Tidus we know may just be some incomplete memory reformed( How and why people forgot I don't know)

In defense of Toriyama, at least he gets his games done, though he is a much better "scene director" than a "visionary and director". The issue with him is that his stories are silly and convoluted and can be borderline fanservice-y.

Ray Down

Banned
In defense of Toriyama, at least he gets his games done, though he is a much better "scene director" than a "visionary and director". The issue with him is that his stories are silly and convoluted and can be borderline fanservice-y.

That's why you need a good producer or someone on you to shut down his dumb ideas or tell him to do better.

Or else you get George Lucas/Kubo.

Definitely agree. Whatever he did in FFX is what he should be doing (and that's all). (Pretty sure he was just Event/Scene Director in that game)

Kitase should really go back to directing if you ask me. He did direct FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX... And all of them had a clear vision from the get go.

I have to admit, I really wished he was directing the FFVII remake. I can understand not wanting to go back to directing, though - let alone directing a remake of a game you've already directed. (That's a confusing sentence.) Kitaseeeee. Direct another game, please.

Speaking of KH...i still find it sad that Nomura originally only wanted to launch BBS after KH2 came out before 3, and he originally wanted it on PS2.

However due to the development hell of Versus and Disney needing their brand and product continuously advertised, he had essentially nothing else to work on but those KH projects, even when he had to tie the story into a pretzel just to put something out there and still not work on KH3 which did not have development priority or a budget or an engine to use at the time.

I'm sympathetic to Nomura being stonewalled, but I also think they could have done a lot of things with the KH series instead of tying it all into knots narratively. If you told me back in KH1 days that one day the series would have Nobodies and timey-wimey sub-plots, I wouldn't have believed you. Let alone how the whole Xehanort sub-plot has turned out-! Not that the Kingdom Hearts plot hadn't already turned a bit silly with KH2. Nomura, why.

Who is the battle system designer for Toriyama's games? I've never played a game from Toriyama that I didn't have fun with in combat, and LR was superb in that regard, even if the plot of the game was so awful that it took a year or two off my life. There should have been a warning on the front of the game, sheesh.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Who is the battle system designer for Toriyama's games? I've never played a game from Toriyama that I didn't have fun with in combat, and LR was superb in that regard, even if the plot of the game was so awful that it took a year or two off my life. There should have been a warning on the front of the game, sheesh.

It's a mix actually. Takatsugu Nakazawa is one of them. He was the battle director of:

Final Fantasy X-2
Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-
Final Fantasy XV

He created the Draw system of FFVIII and the Phantoma system of Type-0.

He also was a Battle Planning Support for FFXIII.

Toshirō Tsuchida (who left SE) was the battle director for FFXIII and FFX.

Yusuke Matsui was the battle director of FFXIII-2.

Ray Down

Banned
I'm sympathetic to Nomura being stonewalled, but I also think they could have done a lot of things with the KH series instead of tying it all into knots narratively. If you told me back in KH1 days that one day the series would have Nobodies and timey-wimey sub-plots, I wouldn't have believed you. Let alone how the whole Xehanort sub-plot has turned out-! Not that the Kingdom Hearts plot hadn't already turned a bit silly with KH2. Nomura, why.

Yeah KH story is just stupid, not just badly told but stupid. It could have been more simple, but then you have the time travel crap and retcon of Nobodies eventually just gaining hearts.

Koozek

Yeah, LR was the most fun I've ever had gameplay-wise with any FF. The perfect evolution of ATB. Just ignore the ridiculous story, lol.

Tiops

The guidelines have been followed as best they can, and had Nomura planned things better, this wouldn't have happened in the first place. He hadn't developed a home console game in over a generation, and while that's largely the fault of Square Enix, it doesn't mean you plan for something that could take upwards of ten years to complete.

Big budget games are expensive, and the reality of modern development presents some very different challenges (that he's in the process of learning with FF7 right now). That he was allowed to run away with his "vision" reflects poorly on Square Enix since they never should've let him in the first place, but it also reflects poorly on him as a designer for not knowing his limits. You don't have an unlimited budget to do with as you please, and the company doesn't owe you one either.

Some fans just have a romanticized version of Versus when they barely saw anything of the greater game in the first place. There was enough there to give you an idea, but that's about it. That's why you end up with nebulous descriptors such as "the feel of things" and "the tone of things" where most of what they saw was pretty insignificant, and they've let their imaginations run wild with it all due to some good trailers and some brief explanations. Nomura is good at selling a concept, and that's largely what he did, but the reality of executing a concept means you can end up with quite a different result. Since it was his vision in the first place, the more passionate fans have a difficult time letting go of things, when if he was the one having to present changes, it likely wouldn't result in this kind of scrutiny.

Asking Tabata to follow guidelines or consult Nomura is also insulting since he's the one spending years of his life bringing the current game to life. Their team has been pretty straightforward about keeping as much as possible of the original plan in the new game, and it's pretty evident they've kept quite a fair amount, but this isn't Versus XIII. It's Final Fantasy XV, and they course corrected they way they feel is appropriate.

The martyring of Nomura is frankly stupid. He's about to take four years to deliver part one of a game that's going to end up less ambitious than another project that he was taken off which received a messier four years, in part thanks to him. There'll be plenty of opportunity to crucify Tabata if he delivers a less than stellar product, but at least those complaints will have merit.

Awesome post, thanks for this.

Great post I agree.

The martyring of Nomura ticks me off to. He contribute a great deal to a lot of FF games, but it is very, very clear he was not capable of taking the full director role for Final Fantasy at any time.

delta_reg

The thing is, if Nomura truly was not capable of taking on the director role for FF15 it is exceedingly unlikely SE would then agree for him to be the director of the FF7 Remake, another huge project and very important for SE's past and future legacy, not to mention their entire business model. The reality is SE put him in charge of a AAA multi part remake of FF7 solely because they have the confidence he can and will deliver.

SE also put Tabata solely as director for FF15 because they have confidence he will deliver. This isn't an either or situation.

Granjinha

I wonder who or what Nomura fans will blame after KH3 development ends up being a disaster too

the engine is already out of the question since its UE4

but i'm sure they will find something

Inuhanyou

The fact of the matter is, if SE didn't trust him to deliver they would not neglect his projects and take him off of 15, yet give him something like FF7R with multiple games along side KH3..

They would not have had him work on anything period, or demoted him.

Fuck timetravel. I actually defended KH's lore before that trainwreck. Not to say i don't enjoy the games, but just...why

I wonder who or what Nomura fans will blame after KH3 development ends up being a disaster too

Uh,disaster on what level? As far as i know its coming along smoothly and 2.8 is out this year.

Also, why are you ragging on "nomura fans" as if this is a fanboy contest or something?

Granjinha

Uh,disaster on what level? As far as i know its coming along smoothly and 2.8 is out this year.

Also, why are you ragging on "nomura fans" as if this is a fanboy contest or something?

It's not a fanboy contest. I don't even like the only game i played from Tabata (Type 0 sucks), but it's ridiculous the extent people go to blame or say that Tabata fucked up nomura's vision of FFXV/Versus XIII. It's pretty clear Nomura couldn't deliver or go through with development. Sure, Crystal Tools sucks, but at least Tabata is making something out of it.

2.8 seems more like a prologue than an actual game to me. I just don't have much faith in Square to deliver a big-budget JRPG these days, going by it's history. Nomura especially :p

Granjinha

Both Type-0 and Crisis Core suck.

Balee dat.

I didn't play Crisis Core. Didn't even know Tabata directed it :p

But Type-0 sucks. Like, a lot.

Nomura is a great director. But he does have problems with time management and his own perfectionism when it comes to his vision. He also wants to break story down way too much or tell too much of it where it's impossible to finish in one game.

For making a game or series this is ideally not bad. But company wise this is time consuming, risky, and overall wastes a ton of money.

You can see in the scenes we saw in Kingdom Hearts 2 before it released that he had a hard time sticking with his first idea. He constantly changes scenes or removes already created ones because the scene he thought of didn't work in his overall vision.

The end product is worth it, but the time it takes it gets there is arguably way to long.

I don't really think great applies here when he took 10 years to launch a product and even then couldn't. Sure, his games are good (i fucking love kingdom hearts, at least it's gameplay/visuals/soundtrack cause the story sucks), but you have to consider budget/time managment in the great part.

Illucio

Banned

Nomura is a great director. But he does have problems with time management and his own perfectionism when it comes to his vision. He also wants to break story down way too much or tell too much of it where it's impossible to finish in one game.

For making a game or series this is ideally not bad. But company wise this is time consuming, risky, and overall wastes a ton of money.

You can see in the scenes we saw in Kingdom Hearts 2 before it released that he had a hard time sticking with his first idea. He constantly changes scenes or removes already created ones because the scene he thought of didn't work in his overall vision.

The end product is worth it, but the time it takes it gets there is arguably way to long.

Akainu

It's not a fanboy contest. I don't even like the only game i played from Tabata (Type 0 sucks), but it's ridiculous the extent people go to blame or say that Tabata fucked up nomura's vision of FFXV/Versus XIII. It's pretty clear Nomura couldn't deliver or go through with development. Sure, Crystal Tools sucks, but at least Tabata is making something out of it.
Yeah nomura is such a screw up...lets put him on the remake of the most popular final fantasy ever.

Inuhanyou

Did everyone just ignore that he didn't take 10 years to make a game because they were not making it for 10 years, or 5 years, or 2 years total?

2.8 seems more like a prologue than an actual game to me. I just don't have much faith in Square to deliver a big-budget JRPG these days, going by it's history. Nomura especially :p

Tabata isn't making anything out of crystal tools, its luminous engine running with FF15.

Also crisis core was good

Granjinha

Yeah nomura is such a screw up...lets put him on the remake of the most popular final fantasy ever.

well he's not actually on that alone

so yeah, not really a fair comparison is it

Did everyone just ignore that he didn't take 10 years to make a game because they were not making it for 10 years, or 5 years, or 2 years total?

Tabata isn't making anything out of crystal tools, its luminous engine running with FF15.

Also crisis core was good

sorry, mistook the engine :p

luminous sucks too, though

Nya

The guidelines have been followed as best they can, and had Nomura planned things better, this wouldn't have happened in the first place. He hadn't developed a home console game in over a generation, and while that's largely the fault of Square Enix, it doesn't mean you plan for something that could take upwards of ten years to complete.

Big budget games are expensive, and the reality of modern development presents some very different challenges (that he's in the process of learning with FF7 right now). That he was allowed to run away with his "vision" reflects poorly on Square Enix since they never should've let him in the first place, but it also reflects poorly on him as a designer for not knowing his limits. You don't have an unlimited budget to do with as you please, and the company doesn't owe you one either.

Some fans just have a romanticized version of Versus when they barely saw anything of the greater game in the first place. There was enough there to give you an idea, but that's about it. That's why you end up with nebulous descriptors such as "the feel of things" and "the tone of things" where most of what they saw was pretty insignificant, and they've let their imaginations run wild with it all due to some good trailers and some brief explanations. Nomura is good at selling a concept, and that's largely what he did, but the reality of executing a concept means you can end up with quite a different result. Since it was his vision in the first place, the more passionate fans have a difficult time letting go of things, when if he was the one having to present changes, it likely wouldn't result in this kind of scrutiny.

Asking Tabata to follow guidelines or consult Nomura is also insulting since he's the one spending years of his life bringing the current game to life. Their team has been pretty straightforward about keeping as much as possible of the original plan in the new game, and it's pretty evident they've kept quite a fair amount, but this isn't Versus XIII. It's Final Fantasy XV, and they course corrected they way they feel is appropriate.

The martyring of Nomura is frankly stupid. He's about to take four years to deliver part one of a game that's going to end up less ambitious than another project that he was taken off which received a messier four years, in part thanks to him. There'll be plenty of opportunity to crucify Tabata if he delivers a less than stellar product, but at least those complaints will have merit.

So much this.

Styles

People are clinging to ideas. (Many of which are still apparently present in XV.) And it's easy to envision ideas as being greater than what they may end up being because execution is what ultimately matters. Most of the aggravation comes from the story point of view too with the whole "dark" and "mature" and "Stella was so interesting" when Nomura's claim to fame is Kingdom Hearts which is more juvenile than any Final Fantasy game in that aspect. He has many strengths, but that certainly isn't one of them in my eyes. And neither Nomura or Tabata has developed on HD platforms before so they're both in the same boat in that regard.

Still laughing at some of the cheesy quotes that were inserted in the trailers for Versus XIII.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

“The figure that still lies asleep in the fantasy.”

“Eyes that see the light of expiring souls.”

ehlTWxx.gif

Granjinha

Granjinha just regurgitated that line. So i'm done with him.

It wasn't in full development until 2011, is that it?

So the guy couldn't even get a concept running okay for Square Enix when the game was announced in 2006 and still its totally fine right?

Not even counting what must have happened to upset square even more between 2011 and 2013

I mean i absolutely adore kingdom hearts, i just think it's really disingenous for people to blame tabata for FFXV's problems or say that he deviated from the original vision when even nomura couldn't deliver on that, geez guys

Inuhanyou

It wasn't in full development until 2011, is that it?

So the guy couldn't even get a concept running okay for Square Enix when the game was announced in 2006 and still its totally fine right?

Not even counting what must have happened to upset square even more between 2011 and 2013

I mean i absolutely adore kingdom hearts, i just think it's really disingenous for people to blame tabata for FFXV's problems or say that he deviated from the original vision when even nomura couldn't deliver on that, geez guys

How did you come to literally any of those conclusions, like he could not get a concept running in 2006?

And what are you even referring to in 2011 or 2013?

They announced FNC in its entirety in 2006, but they didn't release type 0 until 2011, only a year before Versus rebooted officially.

Still laughing at some of the cheesy quotes that were inserted in the trailers for Versus XIII.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

“The figure that still lies asleep in the fantasy.”

“Eyes that see the light of expiring souls.”

ehlTWxx.gif

Uh. The last one is a plot point of the game, the first one is a shakespere quote because the game is partially based on shakespearan drama, and the second one, who knows?

You guys, including Verendus, are constantly triggering people then act outraged when people bring up Versus. Check yo-self at the door.

Verendus talks about FF7R not being ambitious without anyone even knowing what they are putting into the game, yet can claim otherwise?

Granjinha

How did you come to literally any of those conclusions, like he could not get a concept running in 2006?

And what are you even referring to in 2011 or 2013?

They announced FNC in its entirety in 2006, but they didn't release type 0 until 2011, only a year before Versus rebooted officially.

I mean, how did you come with the contrary? Isn't that what "happened"? The 2011 gameplay trailer was with Nomura still on the helm, right?

Anyway, i already made my point. Don't see any sense whatsoever in keeping this argument going. :p

ULTROS!

Crisis Core is great, shut up, Verendus.

I'll find you.

The only great thing about Crisis Core is the ending and the OST.

Inuhanyou

And everything else you mean? :)

A hero must have dreams, and honor!

I mean, how did you come with the contrary? Isn't that what "happened"? The 2011 gameplay trailer was with Nomura still on the helm, right?

Anyway, i already made my point. Don't see any sense whatsoever in keeping this argument going. :p

You come in, made a bunch of random conclusions and then leave?

Crystal tools was not even close to done yet in 2005/2006/2007, that's what a big part of the whole hell of SE's mismanagement was about!

Nomura could not even start the game until 2008 when crystal tools was near completion, and on top of that, the team had to make the ebony engine to fill in the spots that crystal tools was absolutely shit at because the designers of Crystal tools were developing that engine based on pretty linear corridors, that's right, they developed the Crystal tools engine specifically to match the conditions of FF13!

Hence why it was so shit at making an MMO with, or anything not a straight line, and with a more ambitious game like FFV13, that was not tenable.

And then, when luminous came around, and general company support for Crystal tools was dropped, they had to incorporate elements of luminous's light engine in with the ebony engine already in the game, to the point where i don't doubt it was a mess, and that was the point when the whole project was canceled with the pieces turning into 15.

I liked the battle system in Crisis Core quite a bit. The story though...

I also liked the battle system in Type 0 quite a bit. But that story...

Slater

Banned
Isn't that the point where Genisis starts shoving his stupid face into iconic flashback scenes from the original game and taking focus away from Sephiroth?

HeelPower

It's a mix actually. Takatsugu Nakazawa is one of them. He was the battle director of:

Final Fantasy X-2
Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-
Final Fantasy XV

Man.

I wish SE would take FFX-2's battle system and integrate in a transition-free battle system.

I am sure current tech can allow for that.

And now that type 0 writer (one of three writers LR and scenario written on FF7:Doc and FF8)

Is directing WoFF, he moved up in the SE hierarchy.

Doesn't instill confidence in the narrative for WoFF, particularly given the whole world crossover thing.

On the plus side, VII CC and X-2 battle director moving up to XV would seem to be a very promising sign for a tactical action system that delivers.

I've only seen playthroughs of Crisis Core. From what I remember, the game had awesome music. Zack is also a great character who's voice acted fairly well. Plus it's just nice to revisit the FF7 world.

Nya

I actually liked Crisis Core, sure I hated some of the RNG elements in the battle system but overall the game delivered. I actually consider it even better than some of the mainline FFs, story and development wise, great experience.

Gbraga

Zack, sephiroth and aeris are the only thing redeeming about it.. Oh and Bahamut.

And Genesis!

He must not be forgotten!

The OST is so good <3

I liked the battle system in Crisis Core quite a bit. The story though...

I also liked the battle system in Type 0 quite a bit. But that story...

I'm ok with this, that actually makes me a bit more excited to play Type 0.

I did buy it to play Episode Duscae, so might as well give it a shot.

I've only seen playthroughs of Crisis Core. From what I remember, the game had awesome music. Zack is also a great character who's voice acted fairly well. Plus it's just nice to revisit the FF7 world.

Although I thought CC went off the rails pretty much everywhere it departed from VII canon, I actually agree with all of this.

I'm ok with this, that actually makes me a bit more excited to play Type 0.

I did buy it to play Episode Duscae, so might as well give it a shot.

The kill site system is potentially broken, but I found the battle feel with certain characters really excellent. I liked playing as King, Seven, Sice, and Jack in particular.

Also, the music is pretty sweet.

Inuhanyou

My memory of it is sparse at best but wasn't that when it goes off the deep end with Genesis?

I don't actually recall genesis being in most of the game. He has a brief cameo in Nibelheim, him and angeal go rogue, we have the CGI sequence flashback, and then..?

After the mako poisoning incident, i don't think we see him ever again

Top Bottom