• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hajime Tabata: "Currently no plans to reveal more info about Versus XIII"

Kain

Well that's also true of FFVIII and FFXII. Meanwhile FFVII and FFX are mostly free of that problem. Hmmmm. Ito designed the battle system for FFVIII, and directed both IX and XII. He didn't work on FFVII or FFX. Coincidence? Or is he cursed?

I don't like what you're implying here, sush. Leave poor Ito alone ;_; *

*Coincidentially that's what the S-E execs said after XII, to leave him alone with his job of scrubbing toilets

duckroll

I don't like what you're implying here, sush. Leave poor Ito alone ;_; *

Well, seeing how he's mostly in charge of game design and battle mechanics rather than the story, it can't be his fault, but it IS a really bad coincidence that post-FFVI, all the FFs he worked on had a mess of a final act! :(

*Coincidentially that's what the S-E execs said after XII, to leave him alone with his job of scrubbing toilets

Wow, rip. :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well that's also true of FFVIII and FFXII. Meanwhile FFVII and FFX are mostly free of that problem. Hmmmm. Ito designed the battle system for FFVIII, and directed both IX and XII. He didn't work on FFVII or FFX. Coincidence? Or is he cursed?

Well... Ito didn't work on FFXIII. :p

Kain

Well... Ito didn't work on FFXIII. :p

XIII is a mess story and pace-wise since the first act, it wouldn't count xD

I'm curious how XV ends up in that department, neither Toriyama nor Matsuno (with his problems) or Watanabe are working in it, it's all Nojima. I seriously have no idea what will happen knowing that Nojima is so hit and miss.

Also, look at Ito's wikipedia since XII (bad formatting):

Release Title System Credit(s)
2006 Final Fantasy V Advance Game Boy Advance Supervisor
2006 Final Fantasy VI Advance Game Boy Advance Supervisor
2007 Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System PlayStation 2 Producer, director, game design[10]
2007 Final Fantasy IV DS Nintendo DS Battle supervisor
2009 Crawlian Browser game Producer[23]
2009 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord Wii Special thanks[24]
2009 Gyromancer Xbox 360, Steam, Windows Special thanks[25]
2011 Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy PlayStation Portable Special thanks
2012 Guardian Cross iOS, Android Original concept[26]
2014 Deadman's Cross iOS, Android, PlayStation Vita Battle design[27]
2014 Murdered: Soul Suspect PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows Special thanks[28]
2017 Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age PlayStation 4 Supervisor[29]

what the hell is happening

duckroll

Oh man, I forgot all about Crawlian. I think I even posted about that way back when I found out he was working on it. :(

I'm curious how XV ends up in that department, neither Toriyama nor Matsuno (with his problems) or Watanabe are working in it, it's all Nojima. I seriously have no idea what will happen knowing that Nojima is so hit and miss.

It's not even Nojima anymore. They junked the Versus script he wrote and there's a new writing team under Tabata who made their own scenario.

Dark_castle

Also, look at Ito's wikipedia since XII (bad formatting):

Release Title System Credit(s)
2006 Final Fantasy V Advance Game Boy Advance Supervisor
2006 Final Fantasy VI Advance Game Boy Advance Supervisor
2007 Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System PlayStation 2 Producer, director, game design[10]
2007 Final Fantasy IV DS Nintendo DS Battle supervisor
2009 Crawlian Browser game Producer[23]
2009 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord Wii Special thanks[24]
2009 Gyromancer Xbox 360, Steam, Windows Special thanks[25]
2011 Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy PlayStation Portable Special thanks
2012 Guardian Cross iOS, Android Original concept[26]
2014 Deadman's Cross iOS, Android, PlayStation Vita Battle design[27]
2014 Murdered: Soul Suspect PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows Special thanks[28]
2017 Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age PlayStation 4 Supervisor[29]

what the hell is happening

Busy making the real FFXV which has since been internally renamed to FFXVI obviously.

;_;

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Busy making the real FFXV which has since been internally renamed to FFXVI obviously.

;_;

I won't be surprised if his games were also casualties of XIV 1.0. I remember many games that were unannounced were canned during that period.

duckroll

It's going to be terrible like Type-0, isn't it? :(

Sorry I don't mean that he wrote the story concept like Type-0 (I don't know if he did), but I meant that there's a new writing team under his direction. The new lead of the scenario team is Saori Itamuro.

I actually expected Nomura's XV to be a mess, but at least the concept and his vision of the game was more interesting to me.

Not sure if that's the case, but I guess that speaks volume on how poorly they sold the current game.

Dremark

Banned
YES! Like the second Chrono Trigger game, One day it will happen, we have to believe!

Yeah, I don't think SE is in the same shape it was when the second Chrono Trigger game came out though. I kind of doubt they can still put together a game that good.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Well, seeing how he's mostly in charge of game design and battle mechanics rather than the story, it can't be his fault, but it IS a really bad coincidence that post-FFVI, all the FFs he worked on had a mess of a final act! :(
FFX is probably the only FF game post-VI that maintains a consistent narrative quality through the whole game. FFVII's story also falls at the later half, and so does FFXIII's after chapter 9-10.

Dark_castle

Sorry I don't mean that he wrote the story concept like Type-0 (I don't know if he did), but I meant that there's a new writing team under his direction. The new lead of the scenario team is Saori Itamuro.

I still don't understand what made Saori Itamuro qualified to be the lead scenario writer for a game as big as FFXV, I mean then again I could say the same about the director Hajime Tabata only previously only made mobile/handheld games, but that's a story for another day. A quick look at her history shows that she has only worked on Dissidia 012 for the writing work, mainly worked as the RPG planner for the two Dissidia games.

You would think that for a game as important as FFXV, they would hire someone more experienced to handle the job, maybe guys like Yasumi Matsuno or Masato Kato, or maybe some popular Manga writer, I don't know, just someone with more experience under the belt.

I went and looked up FFXIV:ARR and Heavensward, and the main writer is Kazutuyo Maehiro, who at least once worked as an event planner for FF Tactics/War of the Lions before working as quest/map/battle designer for various other Square titles. Did Itamuro really written such an amazing script that Square Enix decided to use her for this game?

Edit: I understand the need for new talent and "fresh blood", but again, this is Final fucking Fantasy XV we're talking about, easily the one of most expensive Japanese game in production in a long while, has an absolute sky high expectations from media and fans especially given its lengthy development, it absolutely has to be as good as it could be. Why basically put an intern to be the lead scenario writer for the game?? Normally you put less experienced staff on smaller projects, and let them work their way UP, you don't straight away put them on the front lines in multi-million projects!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Nojima has not worked on this project since Nomura was working on it. They both left to create FF7R's team, and the story is not the same as the one they were making, although it contains elements left over(several of the general bigger plot points from the first Versus game that was planned ect)

Whoever is in charge of FF15's narrative along with Tabata right now, i hope they know what they are doing. We have only a few months left to find out

Top Bottom