• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 ODST and Relic map for Halo MCC releasing next month

Did this latest patch add a white line in the top left of every menu or is it just my copy?
coKT9zx.jpg

plug in a keyboard and see if it's a leftover active console or something, I would ROFL if so

thelastword

Banned
It's cool to hear that the ODST campaign is coming, since it's one the best Halo campaigns in recent times with the highest point being Reach. It's just odd that the best campaigns were left out in the first place, so I hope Reach makes it in to complete the collection. I hope these games eventually make it to DX12 PC for Windows 10 though, since MS have stated that they intend to merge content across windows 10 and Xbone.

I honestly don't think ODST being based on the H3 engine made it much easier to port than Reach. First of all, the ODST engine actually had numerous changes anyway, so it's not like they could just port the assets and mission scripting onto the ported Halo 3 engine and call it a day. They'd also have to go back and individually port all the various improvements, tweaks, and additions Bungie made. I'd be willing to bet they ported ODST from scratch rather than working off of the Halo 3 engine they already had.
It really depends on how they made the Halo 3 Engine. If they made it in such a way where everything was hardcoded directly into the engine, then yes the improvements would have involved them going directly into the engine code, making the changes and recompiling everything and shipping that with the game.

Alternatively, if the Halo 3 Engine is as such where everything in the engine is controlled within the Game through the setting of variables, like most game engines do as this allows them to be utilized for more than one game, would make it component based and be given a vast amount of customization between projects, then all the coded "modifications" would port over by just doing the ODST code, because unless they broke those APIs in the Halo 3 Engine port, then porting over the configuration file or the hardcoded changes in the ODST code would modify the Engine to make the changes ODST needed to change.

Honestly, I personally think that Bungie went the second route because it makes more sense from a programming and cost perspective to not hardcode the engine. That said, even if it was number 1, they could run code comparisons between the two versions and would (painfully) be able to find out where the individual changes were. Fork the code, port the changes, recompile and ship.

FyreWulff

They wouldn't have been able to just re-use the Halo 3 engine, but it would have made it easier to start on ODST's port since a lot of the "gotchas" of the 360 era code would have been mostly known.

Reach is weird in that they've ported Reach based engines twice (H4, and H2A, which is built off H4, which is built off Reach) but not Reach itself, so they've kinda sorta got experience dealing with Reach-era code as well, but in reverse order :v

Now port Reach and I'll be happy.

Still upset about no Firefight though
Yeah, it's too bad. I was really looking forward to some Firefight when this was announced ;[

Porting Reach would be cool too, especially Halo Wars!

EDIT: lol Didn't even realize this was an old thread.. got 'em

93xfan

Banned
Yeah, it's too bad. I was really looking forward to some Firefight when this was announced ;[

Porting Reach would be cool too, especially Halo Wars!

EDIT: lol Didn't even realize this was an old thread.. got 'em

Halo Wars isn't a Halo game though. I'd rather all resources go to fixing this game and adding Reach multiplayer campaign and firefight.

I love everything about ODST! Nice to see they are porting it to the Xbox One as part of the MCC. I really wish they would have released the MCC on PC, I feel that would have been a great opportunity to introduce PC players to the Halo universe. I don't own an Xbox One and wouldn't purchase one just for Halo MCC, but just seeing Halo ODST being done justice at 1080p is really nice.

Did this latest patch add a white line in the top left of every menu or is it just my copy?

Kinect is judging you, analyzing your every move and waiting for a moment of weakness to strike!

TheXbox

Thread title pissed me off for a second. lol. They've got fifteen days, we still don't have a date, so at this point I wouldn't even be surprised.

Halo Wars isn't a Halo game though.
Uhh.
I'd rather all resources go to fixing this game and adding Reach multiplayer campaign and firefight.
Don't see why you feel like this is a this or that situation. If we're doing that, I'd personally take Halo Wars over Reach because we already have the better Halo FPS's on Xbox One imo.

EDIT:
Thread title pissed me off for a second. lol. They've got fifteen days, we still don't have a date, so at this point I wouldn't even be surprised.
I thought it was delayed to June too lol

Unity2012

Great News about ODST.
I'd also love to see Halo Wars in the future. I have so much fun with that game. Such great little gem.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
They release their monthly patch in last week of the month. So that's when we will see ODST.

93xfan

Banned

I should've clarified. it had a Halo skin applied late in development and is not part of the main series. This does not need to be a part of this collection at all, imo. both the single player and multi player would be out of place in any of the play lists.

I'm not against it having a remaster, but it doesn't make sense for them to put any resources towards it right now, considering the bugs still present, lack of file share, lack of odst firefight and Reach.

DrBo42

Honestly everyone that bought MCC (before the patches) should get ODST free at this point. Issues are inexcusable.

I hope they do Reach - at this point I'd expect them to just go 'fuck-it' and leave it out as Halo 5 is coming but it'd really be a shame to leave out one single Halo game for no reason.

Stacey

Banned
Do people like me (who purchased an x1 and MCC a few days ago) get to purchase odst and the new map via the marketplace?

Everdred

I hope they do Reach - at this point I'd expect them to just go 'fuck-it' and leave it out as Halo 5 is coming but it'd really be a shame to leave out one single Halo game for no reason.
I hope so too, it's personally my favorite Halo game and it would be disappointing to not have the full series in one package.

I've been seeing good deals and i'll definitely need an xone for H5. Is getting into matches working now without issue? How about online SP coop?

Big halo fan, but in terms of campaign, I always preferred ODST and Reach to 1-3, so it's great to get ODST on there finally. As someone who regularly regrets getting rid of his 360 and old games when I moved up to X1/PS4 I'd love to see Reach on there too. Firefight, the daily challenges, customisable character, all that would be great but even just the core campaign if need be.

Gator86

I still think ODST is going to be a free update for all MCC owners with no cut off date. Microsoft are going to save the annoucement for later and ride the good will gesture to E3 and Halo 5. I honestly think they would be fools not to. They've burned so many.

I hope this happens. It's amazing they'd rather try to squeeze a couple extra bucks out of players than restore some luster to the surface of their biggest/most important franchise. It's especially galling that the cutoff came so far before it was actually fixed just to avoid giving away extra copies.

BokehKing

Banned
Do we know if 343i worked on this themselves or was this outsourced?
I picked up MCC when it was $30 on one of those xbl sale weeks back in March I believe.

Launching just for early adopters or will I be able to buy this for $10-$15?

LAA

Yup really hoping for reach too. One of my favourites. Would seem odd to put in ODST and leave reach out, so I would think it's likely. Just a matter of when.

I'd also love them to add true armor customisation again. Just makes it seem inferior with just having all of one set only available.

Gibe me that M'OD soundtrack. Gibe me that neon.

Gibe gibe.

Honestly they should just do Reach at this point. That game would genuinely clean up so well @1080p60.

Madness

It's not that they want to take money from people for ODST. It's that hundreds of thousands to maybe a million people bought the game at full price and it didn't work until mid-December, that one patch that made things a lot better. Obviously the game is still horrendous, but by Christmas the game was half off at retailers, and could easily be bought for under $25 now, or free with new Xbox Ones. So what is the reward for the launch night, launch week, even launch month buyers who literally could not play the game the first month? There needs to be some sort or compensation at least. Is it selfish? I wouldn't say so. I mean a lot of people are out $60+tax, 70+tax for a lemon of a game.

If they decide everyone gets ODST then maybe the early adopters should get something else, maybe something for Halo 5 etc.

Top Bottom