• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Tawpgun

I have a legit question.

Will there be a way to upload and download forge maps? Say I have a favorite custom game from Halo 3, is there a way to find the download off Bungie.net and download it?

Or does the community need to recreate these things from scratch?

Computron

Tombstone and Desolation were free after like, two months though. The only difference between them and the other Halo 2 DLC is they were made by Certain Affinity.

Its funny since modders managed to port over those 2 maps to Halo 2 vista almost perfectly even though certain necessary tags could supposedly not be properly recreated with the gimped SDK.

IIRC, the modders hacked the xbox tags into the ported maps.

Woorloog

Banned
It was patched out, thats why if you want to swordfly in campaign atm you need the pre patch version.

Oh. Was it fixed in that one grand patch that tweaked weapons or later on?
Because the MP map disc didn't include but 1.2 or so (the thing that made the weapon tweaks), and i played a lot of with that patch. Can't recall if the sword flying worked with that.

BigShow36

I'm anxious to see them, but I'm far more anxious to dive into original H2 Team Slayer.

Yeah, I totally can't wait to spawn with SMGs against a team of BR wielders in power positions again.

I bet BigShow never expected he'd be having 1v1 pistols matches on Prisoner in 1080p and 60fps with dedicated servers literally what 5 months from now possibly?

I had basically given up on ever even playing a Halo game again. If this turns out like they say it will and the latency is bearable, it's going to be amazing.

It's also pretty amusing to see a lot of older posters come out of the woodwork for this.

Karl2177

So this is probably going to end up bigger than I am anticipating, but w/e.

It's safe to assume that it is CEA included in the MCC, based on the art used. We also are being heavily led to believe that the CE portion will finally have the original MP. It didn't seem like the MP maps are getting a rehaul, and it would be pretty crappy if they didn't. Also, iirc, CE MP used lockstep, so are they redoing the CE MP engine to account for the changed netcode or are they using the crappy Gearbox 56k modem netcode?

So here's where the speculation that I hinted at earlier comes in. Unless I read and interpreted it wrong, there are 6 maps that are being redone for a Halo 4-esque engine that can get close to Halo 2 styled gameplay. My guess is that they are going to an incredibly tag heavy engine(cue Gabo's moistness). This will also be what the Halo 5 beta runs on. When the time rolls around for Guardians beta, you'll simply download new tags, new gametypes, and new maps. Within the gametypes, it controls potential player actions, therefore limiting what type of gameplay the player has access to(ex: a gametype has no sliding, but a double jump enabled). Think of it like a Megalo 2.0, but not as hackjob-like.

EDIT: Will Halo 2's skulls be in the same place or will they be relocated? Will Halo 2's skulls be fully incorporated into the game, like they were originally intended to be? Will they be the same skulls as Halo 2?

Will Halo 4's terminals be viewable in-game or will I have to go to Waypoint again?

Ok trying to catch up on all the info whilst at work is a nightmare.
From what I've heard fuck yes, it's everything most of us have wanted, awesome work 343 looks exceptional.

Few questions as I'm a bit out of the loop:

1. Will CE be standard or anniversary edition?
2. Will each online MP have it's own lobby or will we have to say decide between narrows H3 and Exile H4 etc?

Halo 5: I hope MC isn't been hunted down by ONI that will suck. also was that Spartan/Agent the one who interrogated Halsey?
Dat Arby speech <3

Also;
It looks exactly like a BR
iF8SGuC2SdsGd.jpg

I know its two different spartans here, but both have no visiors on their BR

MA5K.JPG

Above is classified as a Carbine (30 rounds) below is a assault rifle variant. They all have similar looks Until it's confirmed who knows what it is. Hopefully it's a assault rifle variant and not a BR (no ADS pls 343 you've come this far).
MA2B_Sturmgewehr.jpg

If it is a scopleless BR then hopefully it's just been integrated into the HUD which would make sense.

So this is probably going to end up bigger than I am anticipating, but w/e.

It's safe to assume that it is CEA included in the MCC, based on the art used. We also are being heavily led to believe that the CE portion will finally have the original MP. It didn't seem like the MP maps are getting a rehaul, and it would be pretty crappy if they didn't. Also, iirc, CE MP used lockstep, so are they redoing the CE MP engine to account for the changed netcode or are they using the crappy Gearbox 56k modem netcode?

So here's where the speculation that I hinted at earlier comes in. Unless I read and interpreted it wrong, there are 6 maps that are being redone for a Halo 4-esque engine that can get close to Halo 2 styled gameplay. My guess is that they are going to an incredibly tag heavy engine(cue Gabo's moistness). This will also be what the Halo 5 beta runs on. When the time rolls around for Guardians beta, you'll simply download new tags, new gametypes, and new maps. Within the gametypes, it controls potential player actions, therefore limiting what type of gameplay the player has access to(ex: a gametype has no sliding, but a double jump enabled). Think of it like a Megalo 2.0, but not as hackjob-like.

EDIT: Will Halo 2's skulls be in the same place or will they be relocated? Will Halo 2's skulls be fully incorporated into the game, like they were originally intended to be? Will they be the same skulls as Halo 2?

Will Halo 4's terminals be viewable in-game or will I have to go to Waypoint again?
*Drools at speculation*
Waypoint only for all terminals based on the waypoint site I just read, but idk about CEA.

So will the multiplayer actually be like Halo this time around or...
Hopefully. It seems like it so far

RoKKeR

This won the day for me. Sort of lost my fucking mind when catching up on the conference tonight. Surpassed my wildest expectations, and Halo 5 beta in December? All original MP's included? All the maps? $60?

/dead

based 343

BigShow36

This won the day for me. Sort of lost my fucking mind when catching up on the conference tonight. Surpassed my wildest expectations, and Halo 5 beta in December? All original MP's included? All the maps? $60?

/dead

based 343

If you can't beat them, repackage and resell them.

I was willing to pay $60 just for Halo CE mp online.

/dead

based 343

Seriously. My only regret is the existence of the collection being leaked. While the breadth of content revealed was a surprise regardless, I would've probably shit myself had I not seen it coming at all.

Still, bravo 343. This is well beyond what I had expected.

belushy

Banned
I hope we can make multiplayer playlists for HaloGAF custom game nights. It'll be great getting to finally force people to enjoy Chiron with me.

HaloGAF custom game nights are going to be amazing.

edit:
Also;

MA5K.JPG

Above is classified as a Carbine (30 rounds) below is a assault rifle variant. They all have similar looks Until it's confirmed who knows what it is. Hopefully it's a assault rifle variant and not a BR (no ADS pls 343 you've come this far).
MA2B_Sturmgewehr.jpg

If it is a scopleless BR then hopefully it's just been integrated into the HUD which would make sense.

I guess that makes sense. Haven't read the comics so I had no idea.

blamite

But Halo 2's Warlock, Beaver Creek, Elongation remain, and we can assume Halo 3 still has Last Resort, Blackout, Avalanche, and Heretic? Assuming Halo 4 still has The Pit and Ragnarok as well.

Why do they always have to be playing games with Halo 2's content

The probably just based in on the PC version.

Which makes is really weird that the button glitches are in, I thought those were patched out in that version (unless I'm wrong and that was just superbounces). Why go through the effort of adding those back in?

I don't know why, but I'm having a really hard time believing the Master Chief collection is going to work for some reason. Maybe I'm just being overly cynical after Halo 4's release and support (I loved CEA), but it just seems like there's still so much with it that could potentially go wrong.

FyreWulff

The probably just based in on the PC version.

Which makes is really weird that the button glitches are in, I thought those were patched out in that version (unless I'm wrong and that was just superbounces). Why go through the effort of adding those back in?

Only superbouncing was fixed in PC. If superbouncing is somehow back in, then they explicitly added it back in (if H2A is based off the PC codebase)

RoKKeR

If you can't beat them, repackage and resell them.

I was willing to pay $60 just for Halo CE mp online.

Seriously. My only regret is the existence of the collection being leaked. While the breadth of content revealed was a surprise regardless, I would've probably shit myself had I not seen it coming at all.

Still, bravo 343. This is well beyond what I had expected.

Yep, would have been unreal had it not been leaked. But the fact that it surpass even my wildest expectations is enough to excite me greatly.

So are all of H2's maps remade in the new engine, or only the 6? So there will be some Halo 2 maps that look like 2004?

FatMarshall

Neo Member
For Halo: MCC, how will file sharing work? Ranks? Armor customization for every game mode? Will Halo 4's campaign finally have a theater mode?

So many questions, all unanswered.

1. Will CE be standard or anniversary edition?
2. Will each online MP have it's own lobby or will we have to say decide between narrows H3 and Exile H4 etc?
3. What's happening with ranks?

I imagine gravemind will look insane

blamite

Only superbouncing was fixed in PC. If superbouncing is somehow back in, then they explicitly added it back in (if H2A is based off the PC codebase)

My mistake, that makes sense then. Yeah no way is superbouncing gonna be in. Stuff like BXB and doubleshotting you can kind of make an argument for, but there's no way in hell they'd willingly let people launch themselves up to the top of Lockout or whatever.

belushy

Banned
So, any bets on which event this year we will see Halo 5 gameplay at(if at all)?

RTX in early July, Comic Con in late July, and PAX Prime in late August.

Quickdraw CTF on Settler. Actually...fun? Holy balls, I never thought I'd see the day where that map would be enjoyable. Probably because the gametype removes all the stupid Halo 4 bullshit. Weirdddd......

FatMarshall

Neo Member
So, any bets on which event this year we will see Halo 5 gameplay at(if at all)?

RTX in early July, Comic Con in late July, and PAX Prime in late August.
I feel like it's going to be a bit awkward seeing Halo 5 gameplay before Halo: Master Chief Collection launches. It's bound to happen of course since Halo: MCC launches only a month before the Halo 5 beta, but still.

I'd probably bet around later, like August-October.

Dub117

I'm also excited about nathan fill... I mean Buck voicing that H5 multi trailer. Did he become a S4? What is going on...Buck!!

Computron

I am going to make so many .GIFs come Halo 2 Anniversary....

With 1080p 60, all the clips can go slow mo kind of like those 120fps ones and Motion-Blur Interpolated/Blended ones I made a long time ago:

ivH8n6Ssjqs79.gif

If theatre mode can interpolate the animations above the framelimit like COD's theatre mode can, then it'll be even better.
I imagine since Halo 1's animations were locked at 30, the new version will have uncapped the animation FPS, or at least moved it up to 60fps.
Halo 2 Vista doesn't have the animation problem, so if it gets theatre we may have infinitly interpolated time steps (fingers crossed)
Halo 3 and 4's animation cap is unknown above 30, but they both shipped @ 30fps and will now be playing 60fps, so I wonder how that will play out.
I wonder how the physics will compare across the new and old versions?

iVafB8BzVuBRK.gif

iWSGNalSfjtGm.gif

iuC6x8djdSE6e.gif

I really hope they come to PC though. 1080p60 is great, I would love to play it in Nvidia surround on my 3x1080p screens in 120fps....​

iDfFDv5GhzTm6.gif

Madness

So is the updated Halo 2 stuff, just Halo 2 game play/maps recreated in Halo 4? I hate the fact that medals are the poor Halo 4 versions, or that stuff like first strike, avenger and other text clutters the screen.

Edit: Also, the monks were used quite a bit today, would hate if they're not in Halo 5 guardians. Ends up being some other new wailing. Either way, I actually feel like buying an Xbox one now, but I'm hoping for some kind of bundle.

Nebula

I don't know why, but I'm having a really hard time believing the Master Chief collection is going to work for some reason. Maybe I'm just being overly cynical after Halo 4's release and support (I loved CEA), but it just seems like there's still so much with it that could potentially go wrong.

I'm also in this boat. I'd like to see the on the fly swapping going on before I fall in love with the idea of it.

FyreWulff

I imagine since Halo 1's animations were locked at 30, the new version will have uncapped the animation FPS, or at least moved it up to 60fps.

I'd be willing to take a bet it's exactly like running Halo PC @ 60FPS, with the 60fps "world" and the 30fps animations for everything else.

Booshka

We playing CE this Fall or what?

Don't plan on buying a Xbone just for CE MP sadly, unless I come upon enough money to get a PS4, another 1or 2 TB HDD, SSD and new monitor, then maybe after all that I can try getting a Xbone.

Definitely killer package, but it's still a $500 investment just to play Halo CE MP online, not rolling in money that hard to justify the purchase.

Computron

I'd be willing to take a bet it's exactly like running Halo PC @ 60FPS, with the 60fps "world" and the 30fps animations for everything else.

You think they'll port over the 56k netcode too?

I think its pretty possible the animation, physics systems could be upgraded.

All that stuff feeds into how your game gets replicated, no? So, if they upgrade the netcode, which I think is highly likely, the other systems seem like they'd have to get some attention too...

Madness

I also hope to see much more of how it all works soon. I also hope they're making a lot of ViDoc's abiut this all. The development for this collection, for Halo 5 guardians. After today, I honestly don't even care about Destiny, all I'm thinking about is possibly playing Halo CE, 2, 3 and the Halo 5 beta by the end of the year.

gAg CruSh3r

I also hope to see much more of how it all works soon. I also hope they're making a lot of ViDoc's abiut this all. The development for this collection, for Halo 5 guardians. After today, I honestly don't even care about Destiny, all I'm thinking about is possibly playing Halo CE, 2, 3 and the Halo 5 beta by the end of the year.

I feel the same. Destiny has no hype compare to Halo IMO.

FyreWulff

You think they'll port over the 56k netcode too?

I think its pretty possible the animation, physics systems could be upgraded.

All that stuff feeds into how your game is replicated, no? if they upgrade the netcode, which I think is highly likely, the other systems seem like they'd have to get some attention too...

It depends. I think it's feasible they just port Halo PC's netcode - after all, all the work was done already to provide dedicated server functionality. If they do, Halo Xbox only players are going to get introduced to the hit-sound mechanic and variable leading based off your latency.

On the other hand, they have to roll new code to provide Halo 3 and 4 dedicated servers (Halo 2 would inherit that work from H2PC), so it's possible they rolled new netcode for Halo 1.

Computron

@Fyre: Dude, the way your making it sound, (and it is a slightly nervous possibility) the game would be so inconsistent in terms of netcode and controller response (add to that the lockstep campaign and Spartan OPs networking) that I think there almost no way that their coding/porting would be so uninvolved.

Imagine how jarring a cross game playlist would be!?

They are directly touting their new framerate and networking in their ads and on the back of their box, I think a lot of the games will have mostly redone code for the relevant systems.

Did you watch the IGN interview? Frank addressed the issue of super-bouncing specifically with the show's hosts. He said it was an issue with the specific version of Havoc they had at the time. (It's been my understanding that for the PC version, Havok got updated to a newer version since the PC was better able to store more of the BSP over the chunked up stuff they had streaming in in Halo 2 for OG Xbox, and this was the reason bouncing no longer worked)

Its not clear if Frank was referring to the 6 new H2A maps or the upressed classic H2 maps, but he said that the bounces supposedly may not transfer 1 to 1 anyway. (if they're even still mostly there,)

IIRC, the PAL and NTSC versions of Halo 2 had different bounces because of the difference in framerate. This kinds stuff would probably change quite a bit again with them updating for 60fps (which, incidentally, should give them a lot of opportunities for improving the feeling of netcode and responsiveness through things like higher tick rates and update rates for the physics system)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of cross game playlists, I hope I can Bumper Jump across all 4 games....

Top Bottom