• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

So, if I'm understanding correctly, we'll all be searching in matchmaking, and then be presented with options from the different games? Okay, now I'm hugely disappointed Reach was left out. ODST and Reach were the last Halo games that Bungie made, and in many ways, were the best in certain aspects. Firefight in ODST is fucking outstanding. Feedback, utillity weapons, and netplay in Reach is stellar. God, I want to play 1080p Reach.
I know those feels, brother.

I don't care for Original Vision as much as I care for consistency. Bungie art is inconsistent anyway. Halo 2 Mombasa and ODST Mombasa are light years apart. At least with the CE:A overhaul forerunner shit looks like it does in Halo 4. If Halo 2 forerunner tech and Halo 2 Mombasa match the look of later titles then I'll be happy. Halo 3 will be the only real stand out game then. 2017 remaster believe.
I'm looking at these new graphics and the game just doesn't look like it will read as well in multiplayer. It's visually more noisy, the shadows are distracting, the color palette doesn't have as much contrast. It feels more built for show than for play.

e3-2014-halo-2-anniversary-ascension-establishing---playground-in-the-clouds-5019b1669e56432ea123279cfc69e4f5.jpg

Ampoc

Neo Member
I have some questions:

- Why does the Halo 2 SMG in Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer look different than the SMG in the Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign in FP view?

- Why does the H2A sniper have to look like Halo 4's? It looks like poop right now IMO.

- Why are the spartan models Halo 3/4-esque models and are not like the Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign Chief model?

- This isn't that big of a deal but why did they change the H2A multiplayer HUD? It is now like Halo 4's HUD, but it's strange how the H2A campaign HUD is like the classic HUD.

Some of these things need to be change. I love mostly everything I've seen so far but I feel like Halo 2A campaign and Halo 2A multiplayer are two different things.

I have some questions:

- Why does the Halo 2 SMG in Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer look different than the SMG in the Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign?

- Why does the sniper have to look like Halo 4's? It looks like poop right now IMO.

- Why are the spartan models Halo 3-esque models and are not like the Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign Chief model?

Some of these things need to be change. I love mostly everything I've seen so far but I feel like Halo 2A campaign and Halo 2A multiplayer are two different things.

Because the campaign and multiplayer (as i understand it) are running on two completely different engine

I have some questions:

- Why does the Halo 2 SMG in Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer look different than the SMG in the Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign in FP view?

- Why does the H2A sniper have to look like Halo 4's? It looks like poop right now IMO.

- Why are the spartan models Halo 3/4-esque models and are not like the Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign Chief model?

- This isn't that big of a deal but why did they change the H2A multiplayer HUD? It is now like Halo 4's HUD, but it's strange how the H2A campaign HUD is like the classic HUD.

Because what you are seeing as Halo 2 Anniversary is not the multiplayer it's one of 6 maps remade in a new engine based on the Halo 4 engine modified to support dual wielding and stuff. Halo 2 multiplayer is included but it looks the same just rested to 1080p and 60fps

DJ Gunner

I'm looking at these new graphics and the game just doesn't look like it will read as well in multiplayer. It's visually more noisy, the shadows are distracting, the color palette doesn't have as much contrast. It feels more built for show than for play.

e3-2014-halo-2-anniversary-ascension-establishing---playground-in-the-clouds-5019b1669e56432ea123279cfc69e4f5.jpg

I see these "remakes" as mere icing on a very large cake. With such a massive collection of maps over four whole games, I'm not sure what role the six reimagined maps will play, if they will have their own playlist, etc. but at this point the inclusion of them into the rest of the package feels one-off.

I'm anxious to see them, but I'm far more anxious to dive into original H2 Team Slayer.

Woorloog

Banned
Because what you are seeing as Halo 2 Anniversary is not the multiplayer it's one of 6 maps remade in a new engine based on the Halo 4 engine modified to support dual wielding and stuff. Halo 2 multiplayer is included but it looks the same just rested to 1080p and 60fps

Pretty sure Frankie said it is a "custom xbone engine", don't think he said it is based on Halo 4.

I see these "remakes" as mere icing on a very large cake. With such a massive collection of maps over four whole games, I'm not sure what role the six reimagined maps will play, if they will have their own playlist, etc. but at this point the inclusion of them into the rest of the package feels one-off.

I'm anxious to see them, but I'm far more anxious to dive into original H2 Team Slayer.

If this Halo 2 Style engine is good I want them to bring out DLC of Halo 3 maps remade in the same style. It would be nice if this engine just went F2P or an arcade title.

A standalone Halo multiplayer based on Halo 2.

Pretty sure Frankie said it is a "custom xbone engine", don't think he said it is based on Halo 4.

IGN stream said it was a mix of the existing engines, Since they are all basically the same engine advanced over time this is virtually Halo 4 engine with modifications and additions. I might be off base but I'd say it's a safe bet. The Halo 4 engine is solid. It at least ensures you can have BxR and Super Jump free games on Midship, Lockout Etc

All online, all 1080p, all 60fps. All co-op too.

No excuses, no mention of resources, no lamenting bandwidth. Just the dope on the table. I'm hyped beyond any measure I thought possible for Halo again. It's a pretty insane moment for fans of the original Halo's.

Initially I had fears for a playerbase spread too thin across the titles. However, a low player count is feared principally because of a shallower pool of P2P networking options. WIth dedicated servers, this issue is null. As long as each playlist has even a hundred or so players at a varied skill distribution, it will be fine.

Shocked at the CE revelation in particular. First thought was for Bigshow. Happy for him, after seeing him mope on Halo forums for the last 7 or so years.

The use of the word 'arena' has me more optimistic for Halo 5 than I would have been. Really hope we see a return to smaller maps for the series. No big deal if we don't though now we'll have this original collection.

One last thing: how much more incredible would this reveal have been if it wasn't leaked in part earlier this year? Leaks are sucky in that respect.

Woorloog

Banned
IGN stream said it was a mix of the existing engines, Since they are all basically the same engine advanced over time this is virtually Halo 4 engine with modifications and additions. I might be off base but I'd say it's a safe bet. The Halo 4 engine is solid. It at least ensures you can have BxR and Super Jump free games on Midship, Lockout Etc

Ah. A mix? Hmm, i wonder if it began as a some sort Halo 5 prototype...

All the extra polys, so distracting! Not sure if you know what color palette or contrast mean after looking at original screenshots.

In realtalk, it's hard to guess how well the map works visually while playing without knowing what the players look like. Shadows don't matter if your player models have little lights on them.

All the extra polys, so distracting! Not sure if you know what color palette or contrast mean after looking at original screenshots.

In realtalk, it's hard to guess how well the map works visually while playing without knowing what the players look like. Shadows don't matter if your player models have little lights on them.
Halo 2 has always looked washed out. But it's got a clean look that seems lost. The colors don't look right, I don't know that I'm versed to describe what's bothering me.

If I'm not mistaken, the color palette in Halo 2 looks closer to primary colors than the color palette in the new engine.

I think that Bungie made a concerted effort to make Halo 2 bright because it best suited the gameplay.

Halo 2 has always looked washed out. But it's got a clean look that seems lost. The colors don't look right, I don't know that I'm versed to describe what's bothering me.

It does have that hazy quasi-HDR Halo 4 look to it, I'll give you that. But it does have blue in addition to the poop and concrete of the original.

If I'm not mistaken, the color palette in Halo 2 looks closer to primary colors than the color palette in the new engine.
I'm not sure what you mean, the colors are more saturated (more colorful) in the new one as far as I can tell (there's some variation in the various screenshots of Ascension on the webernet). The Forerunner pieces in the new one look lighter overall, but there's harsher lighting so there are fairly deep shadows.

I think that Bungie made a concerted effort to make Halo 2 bright because it best suited the gameplay.
Brightness isn't an issue by itself, but contrast is. You want to be able to spot a player against map geometry regardless of overall lighting. Think of H3 Guardian or Colossus for example, those were much darker than Ascension 2.0. Halo 3 (and others, probably) actually stuck little LEDs on the player model so people couldn't hide in the shadows.

I'm honestly not all that fazed by the $60 price point. Xbox fans might be getting The Master Chief EP Collection for $60, but most Halo fans are getting it for $459, bare minimum.

Reposting from gaming side...
qDdOepi.png

I'm interpreting "options" as Custom Game lobbies, not necessarily individualized game playlistings aside from the wildcard "special blend" options.

(Someone quote me, I think she might have me blocked)

Kibbles

They make a deal about 60fps but there are no 60fps videos out there *sheds tear*

Even the Broll footage on Xbox Wire is 30fps. (Video info on VLC says 60, but it's just duplicate frames)

Cow

I'm honestly not all that fazed by the $60 price point. Xbox fans might be getting The Master Chief EP Collection for $60, but most Halo fans are getting it for $459, bare minimum.

I'm interpreting "options" as Custom Game lobbies, not necessarily individualized game playlistings aside from the wildcard "special blend" options.

(Someone quote me, I think she might have me blocked)

mmm I hope not. Really think the option to turn off certain games in matchmaking needs to be there. I hope to never play Halo 4 again.

Sofa King

For campaign, are skulls useable across all games? Also, I want Bungie flames for Halo 3. Maybe there can be Vidmasters to unlock them.

Yeah, the six map H2 update serves its purpose. They couldn't rock up with just the old multiplayer suites. Halogaf would be happy enough with that but they needed some 'new' portion of multiplayer with next gen graphics to please the execs and players who are completely new to Halo and might not be interested in playing two generations old graphics.

6 maps is lean for the mode but judging the gameplay we saw... I won't play it beyond the first week. Not only is the sniper the revolting Halo 4 model but it also seems to have inherited its high level of reticle magnetism going on the snipe I saw. Also, it's using the terrible Halo 4 medals I think.

Good news is, my needs are catered for elsewhere in this collection, so it's not even really an issue. Is this what Frankie meant by 'lessons learnt and seeking to give players more options' when discussing Halo's future after Halo 4? Couldn't have asked for much more in terms of choice with this collection (Reach aside).

People use the phrase 'game of the forever' so much so as to lose all meaning but I think it may be appropriate for this. I'll play this for a very long time.

Wondering how the pro scene is reacting to this. I'm sure Ogre 2 is salivating at the prospect of CE online considering he still streams splitscreen lans.

Nowise10

Not sure if anyone has asked this but, Does anyone know if they updated Halo:CEA in the Masterchief collection, so that when you change modes, it occurs instantly like in Halo 2 Anniversary?

Ampoc

Neo Member
I can't be the only one who is completely blown away by the cinematic screenshots. Lord Hood looks incredible.

e3-2014-halo-2-anniversary-cinematic---lord-hood-983bb43abdae4a7398ad65251fdc7f1b.jpg

And if you seen the picture of Sargent Johnson, I easily mistook him as a real life person instead of some video game model. Halo 4 will probably run and feel a lot better now as well. Hype levels are overloading.

This is some great CGI.

I can't be the only one who is completely blown away by the cinematic screenshots. Lord Hood looks incredible.

e3-2014-halo-2-anniversary-cinematic---lord-hood-983bb43abdae4a7398ad65251fdc7f1b.jpg

And if you seen the picture of Sargent Johnson, I easily mistook him as a real life person instead of some video game model. Halo 4 will probably run and feel a lot better now as well. Hype levels are overloading.
1309805983200236.gif

That looks absolutely amazing.

One thing that seriously impresses me is literally this is a major out from making Halo gamers happy on X1. You can play whichever map and setting was your favourite. Get into parties and bam you have dedis, 60fps, campaign etc. Unreal, I did not expect this tech would be so complete.

Source

Please let Terminal be an updated map.

Also RIP sword base/spire, gray face no space.

I don't know if he was being literal with the maps he mentioned, but Stinkles said this earlier.

Remade H2 faves, with proprietary graphics and a modified version of h2 gameplay. Lockout, Ascension, Zanzi...

OG maps and gameplay completely intact. It's extra content.

I'm taking it as they are sticking with smaller maps to update visually. It would also allow for just one playlist, a 4v4 slayer/objective playlist. My guess on the other 3 to be updated are Warlock, Turf and Colossus. That gives us a good mix of slayer and objective maps.

Karl2177

So the Halo 2 redone maps are part of a separate engine and Halo 5 beta is coming with the collection... My brain gears are turning, and if the reason they are turning is correct, then 343 have pulled off something impressive.

Homeboyd

One thing that seriously impresses me is literally this is a major out from making Halo gamers happy on X1. You can play whichever map and setting was your favourite. Get into parties and bam you have dedis, 60fps, campaign etc. Unreal, I did not expect this tech would be so complete.
HaloGAF customs will never be the same. Can't wait.

gAg CruSh3r

So the Halo 2 redone maps are part of a separate engine and Halo 5 beta is coming with the collection... My brain gears are turning, and if the reason they are turning is correct, then 343 have pulled off something impressive.

It's a beautiful things. Embrace it all in.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I hope that we'll be able to use the updated Halo 2 gametypes and weapons in Halo 4 maps.

Does anyone know if descoping is back for updated H2?

Thruster Replacing Sprint

Run, Jump, and Crouch are simple movement abilities that can combine to form more complex maneuvers.

Run + Jump = running jump
Run + Crouch = crouch strafe
Jump + Crouch = crouch jump
Crouch + Jump = low jump
Crouch + Run = crouch walk
Uncrouch + Jump = spring jump
Jump onto a downward incline + Jump on impact = slide jump
Run up to a steep upward incline + Jump = slide

Sprint adds “Run + Run”. A better way to accomplish Run + Run is a version of Thruster Pack.

Sprint only adds Run + Run in the forward direction. Thruster Pack adds Run + Run in every horizontal direction.

Jump + Run is not possible with Sprint. Thruster Pack can move players on the ground or in the air so it adds Jump + Run.

Jump + Jump could be possible if the Thruster Pack was also capable of performing an upward vertical thrust, like a double jump. This would take the two Armor Abilities that are movement abilities, Jetpack and Thruster Pack, and incorporate a version of them into base player traits. This allows for the removal of Armor Abilities, the return of Equipment, and for Camo to be restored to a Power Up.

There is nothing a player in free fall can do to drop any faster than gravity allows. A downward vertical thrust allows the user to travel towards the ground faster than gravity alone would allow. Crouch while airborne + Thrust = Ground Pound.

In comparison to Classic Halo’s movement abilities, run, jump, crouch, the addition of Thruster Pack does increase the unpredictability of player movement but, once it is used, possible player movement returns to the unpredictability level of Classic Halo. If possible player movement was represented by a sphere surrounding the player, Thruster Pack would make this sphere larger when fully charged but during the relatively long recharge delay, that sphere would shrink to Classic Halo size.

By giving all players a modified Thruster Pack the unpredictability of player movement is increased but, unlike Sprint which gradually drains and charges, Thruster is single use then it must fully recharge before it can be used again which only allows for one short burst of unpredictability at a time.

Thruster Pack’s ability to quickly move the player a short distance devalues Power Weapons. This allows Power Weapons to spawn on faster timers because the average number of kills per weapon drop will go down. It also requires more thinking when using a Power Weapon because knowing if your target has the ability to thrust can determine if you get a kill or not.

Thruster Pack devaluing the Utility Weapon allows it to have a faster potential killtime because the average killtime becomes longer.

By giving the player the choice to thrust horizontally or vertically but only once per recharge, maps can be designed to allow the player to choose which plane he wishes to expend his single thrust in. Paths that require either a vertical or horizontal thrust to traverse force players to think about how they would like to use their Thruster to navigate the map.

Thruster Pack could be improved by staying in first person view and allowing the user to attack during the thrust. Basically, just a short quick burst of speed. Shadowrun’s “Wired Reflexes” is a general approximation of how Thruster would function.

A good movement ability can be used offensively, defensively, or for traversing a map. A good map has a synergy between its structure and the player's movement abilities. A good example of this synergy, between the map and Thruster, is shown by the four elbow structures around mid on Monolith that have a crouch height gap in the bottom of them.

Offensive:

An enemy is passing in front of the elbow so you crouch thrust forward, quickly traveling from behind to in front of the elbow, and engage your foe.

Defensive:

You are fighting an enemy but decide to retreat so you crouch and thrust backwards to quickly pass through the elbow into the safety of cover on the other side.

Map Movement:

A Power Weapon just spawned and being able to quickly crouch thrust, rather than slowly crouch walk, through the elbow allows you to reach your destination faster.

Traditionally, once a player enters a lift there is nothing he can do to modify his trajectory. With Thruster, the player retains some control over his movement while lifting. Rather than always landing at the enemy base, a player on Narrows could enter the lift, travel halfway to the enemy base, then thrust sideways to land at top mid instead.

A good relationship between movement abilities and map design turns the map from simply the space you play in to an ally that you can rely on for help if you know him well enough.

Thruster could also be integrated into vehicle mechanics. Hold the Thrust button for a second to thrust sideways out of the Warthog. Hold the Jump button for a second to thrust straight up out of the Warthog. Giving players the ability to “dive” and “eject” from vehicles allows for vehicle-to-vehicle boarding. Passing another Warthog? Have your passenger dive out and hijack it. Banshee coming in too close? Eject upwards and hijack it.

The one second delay between beginning to hold the button down and being able to exit the vehicle prevents players from being able to thrust out of the vehicle faster than exiting the vehicle normally.

In conclusion, Classic Halo allows the player to run in any horizontal direction, jump upward, and crouch downward. Adding Thruster allows the player to thrust in any horizontal direction, thrust upward, or thrust downward.

Vehicular Equipment and Thruster Integration

While Thruster is a single use before recharge base trait, Equipment are single use items that the player can carry and deploy at will.

Upon deployment, the Hardlight Hoverboard propels the user forward at high speed with no way to stop aside from unequipping the Hoverboard and forfeiting the rest of its charge. The user can only turn left or right while continually moving forward like a snowboarder carving down a slope. The user can thrust jump while riding to pop over a small obstacle. He can even crouch while airborne, causing his Hoverboard to be pulled up and giving him the ability to clear a higher hurdle. Thrusting left or right quickly moves the Hoverboard to the side like a single use strafe, thrusting backward temporarily reduces the Hoverboard's forward movement speed, and thrusting forward temporarily increases the Hoverboard's forward movement speed. Thrusting forward while traveling off an upward incline allows the player to catch some air before returning to the ground. The player retains his full attack capabilities like gun, grenade, and melee while riding the Hoverboard. Similar to the Scorpion tank's independent tracks and turret, the Hoverboard's movement and the rider's aiming are independent. The Hoverboard produces an audible whir while it is in use.

Upon deployment, the Hardlight Glider drastically reduces the airborne user's downward descent speed while simultaneously increasing the speed of his continuous forward movement. The user slowly glides through the air, hanging horizontally while facing the ground. The Glider can be pointed straight, left, right, or down to travel in that direction. The user can thrust left, right, down, or even up for a burst of speed that quickly moves the player in that direction. The only way the player can gain altitude, without outside assistance, is by thrusting upward. Thrust jumping temporarily increases the Glider's forward movement speed. While gliding is silent, thrusting while gliding isn't.

Top Bottom