• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 active players is the highest since Halo 3 (even before the free play period)

VinFTW

As someone who has been playing Halo on Live since 2004, Halo 5 is a great multiplayer Halo game.

It has flaws and feature gaps, but is on the whole the most enjoyable Halo multiplayer experience since Halo 3, and that's with nostalgia goggles firmly on.

As spot on as you can get.

No dev made BtB maps, no doubles, no KOTH, Oddball, REQ issues, armor customization issues, no challenges, etc

BUT

What is there is fantastic and its just SO much fun to play and feels so fucking good.

Building on 5 for Halo 6 and adding a truckload of mode, content, and aesthetic and system revisions and it could be the best Halo yet.

Both me and Frankie wish we had hair like Leo.

Are you sure?

images

Joking aside. I can't wait to hear more about what's next for halo 5 and mainline mp.

Celebrations come too rare for developers and ppl to shit on their hard work. Im glad frankie has thick skin. Some things said here are just down right embarassing.

Well deserved this is the best Halo game in terms of post launch support of the entire franchise also the MP it is indeed the best since Halo 3

Monocle

Halo 5's core MP is a thing that would be refined and tuned in the future, not rebooted, reinvented or reset. That doesn't preclude any number of improvements, additions or completely new modes and methods of play, but the team does recognize the core strengths, advantages and extensibility of the current MP tune.

It's elementary.
Great! You folks are really on to something with Halo 5's MP, and Halo 5's mechanics in general. Halo's gameplay has never seen a more comprehensive and well integrated upgrade, free of tacked on and out of place features. Dual wielding, equipment, armor abilities, and loadouts pale in comparison to Spartan abilities, smart-link, clamber, and REQs. Everything feels right and works with the core formula and original mechanics of Halo that date back to CE. (Well, aside from the new delay between the input and execution of aerial melees.) Even crouch jumping is still a thing.

You did good.

343 slurplejerk hard at it again I see...
Oh noes a bunch of gamers are praising the developers of a good game. I'd better come up with shitty dismissive phrase so I can act like my outlying opinion defines absolute truth for everyone else.

Monocle

Are you sure?

images

Joking aside. I can't wait to hear more about what's next for halo 5 and mainline mp.

Celebrations come too rare for developers and ppl to shit on their hard work. Im glad frankie has thick skin. Some things said here are just down right embarassing.
FRANKIE LIED GAFFERS DIED

JUSTICE FOR THE TRUE FANS

BUNGLE 5EVER

Outrun

Are you sure?

images

Yeah, fuck the negativity.

The Halo IP is truly something else. They have managed to build a vibrant universe and lore, in addition to a slick, robust MP.

Halo Wars 2 is looking nice. Lots of story questions there for sure. (I wonder if that AI from the first game is still around and not rampant?)

Moa

Halo 5's core MP is a thing that would be refined and tuned in the future, not rebooted, reinvented or reset. That doesn't preclude any number of improvements, additions or completely new modes and methods of play, but the team does recognize the core strengths, advantages and extensibility of the current MP tune.

It's elementary.

Excellent news. Halo 5's base is solid and the best it has been since 2010.

Having the gameplay change drastically with every new release was annoying.

Moa

Yeah, fuck the negativity.

The Halo IP is truly something else. They have managed to build a vibrant universe and lore, in addition to a slick, robust MP.

Halo Wars 2 is looking nice. Lots of story questions there for sure. (I wonder if that AI from the first game is still around and not rampant?)

Her line from the Legendary ending was featured in a recent trailer for the game, so we can only assume she'll be there in some way, shape or form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMrKjtaygYc

MS would never allow it. Honestly one thing i would love is if they could somehow incorporate halo5 in a polished MCC so we get everything in one place.

That would be tha bomb.

Honestly its pretty obvious that halo5 focused on the multiplayer and the single player suffered for it. Halo 5 multiplayer is perfectly fine for the next few years. Make a single player campaign and co-op modes that are new for the next game and include halo 5 multiplayer to keep the player base going.

Then the next halo game maybe you do a new multiplayer suite with lesser focus on campaign.

Spasm

As spot on as you can get.

No dev made BtB maps, no doubles, no KOTH, Oddball, REQ issues, armor customization issues, no challenges, etc

BUT

What is there is fantastic and its just SO much fun to play and feels so fucking good.

Building on 5 for Halo 6 and adding a truckload of mode, content, and aesthetic and system revisions and it could be the best Halo yet.

If 343 could take some time off from Arena and Warzone, and concentrate on BTB for a while, I would be so happy. That would probably push H5 over the top as my favorite Halo.

Do we have any numbers on how much money REQ packs brought in? I know we can make some guesses from the tournament prize pools.

Won't it be the same community as Xbox?

For PvE modes. PvP is going to be a ghost town

Gonna be hard to get PC gamers to buy Halo when the last one to release on PC would have been a decade earlier. On top of that it won't be on Steam which means the game is dead before it even had a chance to live.

Novocaine

I decided to jump back into Halo 5 despite having a dozen games to finish. Gave Firefight a shot having never played it before and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm not huge on PvP so this gives me something to do with all of those Banshee cards.

jem0208

Fucking well deserved 343, you've been putting in the work since launch without objectively faltering on that front. It's almost like you planned Halo 5 as a service :)

I've had my personal issues with connectivity and regional playing from Australia on and off but the steady stream of free content through game modes, network tweaks, maps, rank tweaks and fucking brilliant gunplay, sandbox of weapons/vehicles and movement really shines brightly. A masterstroke IMO. You deserve massive appeal for this title in its current form as well as sustained sales for the Xbox One.

I have to say after months of hell with this title your regional selection and Australian matching/dedicated server quality has become top shelf and second to none. Fucking impressive these days and has me coming back each day I have time to play games; with or without a group of friends. You're even getting star players from Australia I used to play with in Halo 3 back to the fold of playing ranked Arena daily. I'm impressed and a happy Halo fan again. Thanks.
They fixed the Australian connection?

It has no effect on me but that's still nice to hear.

Magni

Didn't buy this after getting burned by MCC, it's it time to jump in?

I just play CE and 2 now, I guess I'm an old man. I'm still bummed by how much they shat the bed with MCC :'(

I somewhat enjoyed the beta, but who can sell be on the game? How's the community? (do people have mics and talk? I'm off the opinion that party chat killed Halo MP)

Halo 5 is pretty much the only game i play at the moment. I'm in a 100 member deep spartan company trying to hit the commendations for the Achilles helmet. We play everynight and we love it.

MP is the best I have come across in a Halo game

Firefight is very well polished since the beta, I love busting them req's out to destroy the Prometheans and Covenant.

Single player, really only lacked Chief. It could have been a better campaign but it's still fun none the less.

Custom games and Forge , This is an area me and my buddies need to delve in deeper, I have never used Forge but I have some sweet custom maps saved in my File share.
- I tend to use this site to find cool custom maps.. http://www.forgehub.com/maps

Halo is very much still alive despite the narrative and 343 are doing a brilliant job

Honestly its pretty obvious that halo5 focused on the multiplayer and the single player suffered for it. Halo 5 multiplayer is perfectly fine for the next few years. Make a single player campaign and co-op modes that are new for the next game and include halo 5 multiplayer to keep the player base going.

Then the next halo game maybe you do a new multiplayer suite with lesser focus on campaign.

Bullshit, objectively they retooled campaign with sublime coop dedicated servers, insane cutscenes, marty-tier soundtrack, ear melting audio effects, rocksolid 60fps, top shelf voice acting, animation and more. You may not like the story or campaign subjectively but they poured their heart and souls into campaign.

They fixed the Australian connection?

It has no effect on me but that's still nice to hear.

Fucking A they did! Like butter a huge amount of the time and focused really searches for Aussies in any mode.

jem0208

Lets see, to start of with, every man and his dog could get onyx.
Said by the guy who's highest ever rank is Diamond 6.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-gb/...x-one/service-records/players/satansreverence
Change colors of the maps and call it NEW MAPS!!
Hyperbole levels are off the scale.

Fucking A they did! Like butter a huge amount of the time and focused really searches for Aussies in any mode.
Awesome, glad to see.

BokehKing

Banned
I found it very blah, the maps are crap and gameplay just isnt classic halo. Think im done with halo, it isnt 07 anymore
Exactly, the game would have been amazing for that time period but I don't know, the world moved on?

I'm glad it has a nice population, means I'll always find a game of griffball, sad that's the only thing that brings me back to the game.

Lkr

I want to like Halo 5, I just don't see anyone on my friends list ever playing. Every time match I played was unbalanced as fuck too. For example I would either win 50-25 in slayer and then get another team and lose by the same margin. I'm not as good at this as Halo 3 which has something to do with it, but I think I enjoyed Reach more than 5

Didn't buy this after getting burned by MCC, it's it time to jump in?

I just play CE and 2 now, I guess I'm an old man. I'm still bummed by how much they shat the bed with MCC :'(

I somewhat enjoyed the beta, but who can sell be on the game? How's the community? (do people have mics and talk? I'm off the opinion that party chat killed Halo MP)

You could have jumped in a launch dude. It was widely reported that this launch was great. The multiplayer is great. The support for the game is top notch. I for one love the single player as well. I really don't get caught up in "It was not enough Chief". I'm glad they changed it up.

Don't let a vocal few tell you that the game is not good. It's evident that it is good. Especially the multiplayer.

theecakee

I wouldn't mind playing some more Halo, thought about picking up an Xbox One recently for it. I played Halo 3 in it's day extensively, stopped at Reach.

Does the Halo MCC work well now?

Chobel

We have no idea where Halo 5 sits at right now, and also smurf's are extremely easy to set up on Xbox One. Derankers and new accounts could easily fill up numbers. I mean, look at Satan. He has 3 accounts for no reason.

That would mean Halo 5 has cheating like no game ever, and it's by a majority of players, plus we can safely assume Halo 5 is nowhere near 7M. So yeah, I don't believe it, there has to be some catch.

FyreWulff

And odst too right?

ODST didn't sell much compared to 3 and Reach.

But it did at least accomplish Halo 3 being the only paid DLC era Halo game** to have majority DLC adoption in the userbase via that second disc (which is why Halo 3 MM went to almost all DLC being optional a bit after ODST came out).

**Basically every Halo but 2. 2's DLC eventually went free and Bungie enforced everyone downloading it when it went free by requiring it for every playlist. because H2 didn't support optional DLC matching anyway.

I still don't know why they didn't do the same thing for Reach. The Halo Anniversary "MP" disc release was just..... I have no idea what the purpose of that was.

Karl2177

ODST didn't sell much compared to 3 and Reach.

But it did at least accomplish Halo 3 being the only paid DLC era Halo game** to have majority DLC adoption in the userbase via that second disc (which is why Halo 3 MM went to almost all DLC being optional a bit after ODST came out).

**Basically every Halo but 2. 2's DLC eventually went free and Bungie enforced everyone downloading it when it went free by requiring it for every playlist. because H2 didn't support optional DLC matching anyway.

I still don't know why they didn't do the same thing for Reach. The Halo Anniversary "MP" disc release was just..... I have no idea what they were doing, there.

Microsoft's multi-disc policy was that it had to be $60. I don't think they could have gotten the entirety of Halo Reach's MP on a disc with CEA. They also wanted it to be $40, and I guess that was their priority. I think the worst part about the Reach MP on CEA was if you had Reach GonD and you played the Anniversary DLC from the CEA disc and then attempted to launch Reach, it would launch the CEA disc because it was the last accessed version of the title ID.

Top Bottom