• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 active players is the highest since Halo 3 (even before the free play period)

Halo 5's core MP is a thing that would be refined and tuned in the future, not rebooted, reinvented or reset. That doesn't preclude any number of improvements, additions or completely new modes and methods of play, but the team does recognize the core strengths, advantages and extensibility of the current MP tune.

It's elementary.

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE. HE WHO HAS ABANDONED US. - Team Frankie ex member

Sounds great. I can't wait for that Scorpio patch with increased fidelity :p. jk
OR AM I?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
This is literally objectively wrong. You can't escape with Thrusters

Oh wow, I wish I was playing iron tier.

Seriously, if you think thruster isn't used to escape combat... You must be playing some incredibly terrible players.

and if an enemy did you have bad aim. They would've out strafed you in any other Halo.

I've tried and tried but nope, I can't make any sense of this...

Halo 5's core MP is a thing that would be refined and tuned in the future, not rebooted, reinvented or reset. That doesn't preclude any number of improvements, additions or completely new modes and methods of play, but the team does recognize the core strengths, advantages and extensibility of the current MP tune.

It's elementary.

This is music to my ears. So excited.

EvB

Good I'm really pleased for them, Halo 5 is up there with the best , I'm a long term Halo multiplayer fan and have enjoyed all the variations that the games have brought.

I really like that it has some of the more modern FPS gameplay mechanics, but it retains the feel of Halo games. The weapon balancing is perhaps the most balanced in my eyes of any Halo game so far and that really shows. Every weapon in the game has a time and a place to use it

shoreu

Hmm, I'm getting outshot, better press B to escape.

Automatics should never outpace precision weapons in kill time. Ever. Let alone significantly in the case of the storm rifle. Their ease of use is what makes them balanced.

I can not think of a single map from Halo 5 that I would ever want to see return to later games. Same goes for Halo 4. Halo Reach at least had some amazing forge maps.

1. I can only imagine how you feel when you feel like "you've" earned your 4 shot and someone out thrust you and crouch shots you and you get upset. Brings a smile to my face. you not learning a mechanic does not make the game bad.

2. This is just wrong dude, i've beaten out several people cqc with autos (You have to use your thrusters), and even when i lose the fights are close. In halo 3 if you tried someone with an Ar you were a joke of a threat.

3. And this game by far has the best forge maps.

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE. HE WHO HAS ABANDONED US. - Team Frankie ex member

Sounds great. I can't wait for that Scorpio patch with increased fidelity :p. jk
OR AM I?

I think that should happen automatically because of the dynamic resolution method they use.

Halo 5 in full 1080p @ 60fps should be a "thing" next Christmas. Makes my Scorpio purchase all the easier :)

I think that should happen automatically because of the dynamic resolution method they use.

Halo 5 in full 1080p @ 60fps should be a "thing" next Christmas. Makes my Scorpio purchase all the easier :)

Yeah, i meant more of a texture and AF upgrade :p It'll be nice to have it at max dynamic res tho. yum - cough make it 4k - cough

Outrun

It's elementary.

That is awesome.

Is there anything in the pipeline (comics, Spartan Ops-type missions, or shorts) that will further the story post-Halo 5 canon-wise, before Halo 6?

shoreu

That is awesome.

Is there anything in the pipeline (comics, Spartan Ops-type missions, or shorts) that will further the story post-Halo 5 canon-wise, before Halo 6?

I really want a Halo 5: Elite Campaign edition.

Plus more Firefight and Req stuff

JaggedSac

It's elementary.

Good to hear.

HokieJoe

Believe it or not, but I actually sunk more than a hundred hours into Halo Reach's campaign.

For some people, campaigns do matter.

Same here- I'm a campaign buff. I love cooperative multiplay (that's why I like Destiny's coop setup) I'mean glad MP players are happy, but the situation needn't be mutually exclusive.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Best multiplayer shooter on a console. The controls are almost perfect on the Xbox One controller for a competitive skill based console shooter.

Happy to see the numbers and can't wait to see Halo 6.

It's elementary.

Yes!!!

Split screen co-op this time though please.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Diamonds/Onyx's are the new Wood tier I guess.

Unlike Reach, everyone has the same abilities.

You got out maneuvered/out played.

Do tell me more about how you think ranks in Halo 5 actually have any bearing on skill...

And in any game against players who might have half an idea about what they were doing would use sprint or jetpack depending on map. Anyone using Armour Lock, Holo or Camo were just perfections in waiting.

So, I out shoot kid not missing a single shot, he thrusts behind cover before it's even possible for the last shot to land but I got outplayed? Okay, sure, definitely.

Bubble shields, armor lock and regen fields however...

Oh, you spawned with bubbleshield and regens did you? I must have been playing a different version of Halo 3 where they spawned on the map. At set respawn times. In limited numbers.

And you got killed by a guy who couldn't shoot or move? Amazing...

SaganIsGOAT

Do tell me more about how you think ranks in Halo 5 actually have any bearing on skill...

And in any game against players who might have half an idea about what they were doing would use sprint or jetpack depending on map. Anyone using Armour Lock, Holo or Camo were just perfections in waiting.

So, I out shoot kid not missing a single shot, he thrusts behind cover before it's even possible for the last shot to land but I got outplayed? Okay, sure, definitely.

takes those goggles off itll help you see what a bk you are

Striker

I can't believe that. Halo 3 sold 15 million copies, and was the #1 most played game on XBL from 2007-2009 when MW2 came out.

There's no way a game with not even 1/3 of the sales can have a higher Active Players than Halo 3 at the same point in time. (May 2008)

EDIT: Wait, since Halo 3 means it's excluding Halo 3.

I believe it. Reach and Halo 4 were pathetic in terms of Player Population after launch. Good job on fixing a problem you created 343...
Reach was always in the top 3 against two CoD games that sold extremely well. That didn't start until 2009.

Welfare

So ranks don't matter now? Ok.

Yes, yes, the camo player is going to be easy to kill. As well as the AL player. Totally going to get a perfection on them, and not the sitting duck sprinters and easy to tell trajectory of jetpackers.

Can you not use your fingers once an enemy leaves your view? If you were winning the engagement, he is literally a thrust away, something you can do. How is him thrusting behind cover any different then someone dropping a floor in Halo 2/3/Reach or them strafing into a different room from you?

I don't have all day, but this is spectacular.

You don't say. Magnetism has always been there? Amazing! And buddy, I don't need anyone to tell me how networking works in Halo. In the precise circumstances of that clip, that 5th shot should NEVER have hit the target.

Where the bullet was aimed.

Where the bullet actually hit.

Where the player was.

Where the player was moving.

None of it could, in any way, result in a hit without the game having a ridiculous amount of aim assist and making "near misses" register to make the game easier. And that is all ignoring the fact that I've seen far more egregious situations.

You very literally have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously, watch the video I linked and shudder at your ignorance.

The long and short of it, however, is that what you see on your screen does not match what actually happened in the game (according to the server) in all cases. There are a lot of things going on to cover for the inherent problems in multiplayer networking. Basically, your xbox is running a parallel simulation of the game and showing you what it thinks is happening based on the information it has, and is doing quite a bit of prediction to cover for latency, packet loss, and interweb gremlins. This is all in that video.

That's why people teleport when it's laggy- your Xbox is predicting where they are going and showing you that, but then gets an update from the server and moves them to the "correct" location. Same thing for people walking into walls back in the day. That's the direction they were going in when your Xbox received it's last update from the server, and since it hasn't heard anything different, it assumes that's where they're still going. Ever wonder why in previous theaters you couldn't go into first person on other players, or their aim seemed way off? Because your Xbox doesn't have that detailed of information in it's simulation.

So 99% what happened in your clip was that the distance between your shot and their head, according to the server (which has a better idea of where the other player is), was much closer than what your Xbox showed you.

I have personally compared clips between me and my friends where at the exact same moment, in a lag-free environment, our positions are off by 10 feet.

Oh, you spawned with bubbleshield and regens did you? I must have been playing a different version of Halo 3 where they spawned on the map.

And you got killed by a guy who couldn't shoot or move? Amazing...

At least with thrusters you know they have it at all times and they don't magically pull the ability out of nowhere. When did I ever claim I was killed by armor lock? It just slows the game down.

Its a fantastic game I really need to get back into it. Is it really the highest since H3 though? Its pretty low on the ranked games still

It's elementary.

This is great to hear. I've been a very vocal critic of Halo 5 since it launched, but one thing I've always fallen back in is just how excellent the moment-to-moment gameplay is in multiplayer. Halo 5 feels great.

Welfare

Its a fantastic game I really need to get back into it. Is it really the highest since H3 though? Its pretty low on the ranked games still

The top 5 games probably have a huge amount of players on at a time. Mainly consists of BO3, GTA, Minecraft, Fifa, and I think NBA. All of them are going to have a big online population.

The top 5 games probably have a huge amount of players on at a time. Mainly consists of BO3, GTA, Minecraft, Fifa, and I think NBA. All of them are going to have a big online population.

There are probably more players now on X1 than when Halo 3 was around to I mean that was before MW for goodness sakes.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So ranks don't matter now? Ok.

Lets see, to start of with, every man and his dog could get onyx.

Now champions are matching and losing against platinum players.

Meanwhile the entire time parties of 4 are matching 4 randoms.

All makings of a great and accurate ranking system...

Yes, yes, the camo player is going to be easy to kill. As well as the AL player. Totally going to get a perfection on them, and not the sitting duck sprinters and easy to tell trajectory of jetpackers.

Wow, you really have never played against a half competent player, have you?

Can you not use your fingers once an enemy leaves your view? If you were winning the engagement, he is literally a thrust away, something you can do.

Oh, please tell me I should chase him. Do it, I know you want to and I need a really good laugh.

How is him thrusting behind cover any different then someone dropping a floor in Halo 2/3/Reach or them strafing into a different room from you?

All of those things either A) Took a much greater amount of time or B) required significant map knowledge and positioning (a concept I'm sure you know nothing of).

In Halo 5, there are few positions that a simple thrust jump won't get you to safety from almost any angle. So unless the other team has psychic levels of positioning, you almost always have an escape.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Please, do try next time to inform me of something I don't already know. fyi, I played Halo 2, 3 and Reach on a dial-up connection and thus over those ten thousand+ games learned virtually every practicality of Halos online netcode as it is in the real world and not some ideas and theories about how it's meant to work.

So again

Where the bullet was aimed.

Where the bullet actually hit.

Where the player was.

Where the player was moving.

NONE of this equals hit.

The only time a shot like that should register is if the player was moving towards it and ended up walking into the shot as it occurred. But no, the player was moving AWAY from the shot, not towards.

But do try to tell me about these magical phantom hits that seem to happen oh so regularly in Halo 5 on it's dedicated servers that were extremely rare in Halo 2, 3 Reach and even the 4 on their inferior hosted games.

and again, that's not even the worst phantom hit I've seen in Halo 5.

in a lag-free environment, our positions are off by 10 feet.

Hahahawow.jpg

btags

If you cannot finish a kill, due to the other opponent killing you first, or due to the opponent hiding behind cover first, it likely means you did not pick a good time to engage that person or you do not have enough team support to make sure they cannot hide anywhere. Either way it just seems like an encounter gone wrong, which is what happens in games. Stop bitching about not getting a kill every time you want to get one. Running away is something that happens, and if you or your team cannot properly control it then maybe you do not deserve the kill?

343 slurplejerk hard at it again I see...

Dude has nothing better to do I guess. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

Please, do try next time to inform me of something I don't already know. fyi, I played Halo 2, 3 and Reach on a dial-up connection and thus over those ten thousand+ games learned virtually every practicality of Halos online netcode as it is in the real world and not some ideas and theories about how it's meant to work.

Woah bro. Hax

HokieJoe

Probably just exposes your bias towards non-Bungie Halo.

-You complained about sprint, but sprint in Halo 5 is far better balanced than it was in Reach. And jetpacks broke map design far more than sprint ever has. Yet you continued to play 5000 games of that.
-You complained about maps, but apart from Countdown, Reach threw Arena map design out of the window. Instead, we had the likes of Boardwalk. Reach's map pool wasn't remotely appealing. 3 had a handful of maps that were bad as well (Isolation, Snowbound, Epitaph, Construct. They contained shield door camping, bad spawns and lift camping. Hardly well designed map flow.
-You said the aiming is easier than any Halo game, yet the aim assist is lower than any game in the series, say for CE.
-You also said automatics are overpowered, but before they were pea shooters and absolutely pointless in the sandbox.

5 is mechanically sound in ways 3 and Reach are not. Yet you had no problems playing those.]

If only we had the black under suits. :(

Bingo. Which where a lot of the 'diehard' hate comes from IMO. I've been a Bungie fan since Myth, so to me that level of fanboyism strikes me as idiotic.

'It can't be Halo without Bungie!'

Except, Bungo wasn't interested in making Halo games anymore. I complain about Bungie, but I still love their games. That doesn't mean I can't also enjoy 343/Halo games.

But hey, that's just me.

Leyasu

Banned

It's elementary.

Nice. Halo 5 mp is a thing of beauty. Although after all these months I am still not sure about spartan charges. But it is good to here that you are now happy with the fundamentals. Datacenter selection does need to be added .

I cannot fucking wait to see halo 6tf.

shoreu

459ce17e20c176c2f520f725554d13b2e25a8b76da41f056940c6028fb2a1a8d.jpg

Let it out

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Lol hold down bungie you always gonna be the bottom.

You da best.

You loyal.

Aww that's cute, but I don't care for Bungie.

I played Destiny for maybe a week? Probably less.

They were the ones who started the downfall of Halo (but it was 343 that triple downed on the awfulness).

I even abandoned their forums when they changed style because they were awful.

If you cannot finish a kill, due to the other opponent killing you first, or due to the opponent hiding behind cover first, it likely means you did not pick a good time to engage that person or you do not have enough team support to make sure they cannot hide anywhere.

Welp, better not shoot at all then.

How long until I get accused of not even having an xbox?

343 slurplejerk hard at it again I see...
Walk into halogaf and you'll see people complaining about stuff every single day. There's still tons of problems with Halo 5 and we acknowledge that.

But apparently liking the gameplay of Halo 5 is enough to be a "slurplejerk."

We get it dude. You don't like Halo anymore. Woop de doo here's your cookie.

I hate GTA, but I'm not gonna go into every GTA thread and say how shit it is and accuse everyone of hopping on R*'s dick.

Top Bottom