• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Guardians: #huntthetruth

jem0208

I just realised something:

ONI cleared the Chief's name. So why has he gone AWOL and why are they hunting him in H5?

Moa

What if the Chief and team goes AWOL because their last mission is a setup to get them killed?

The campaign starts during the events of Hunt The Truth, just before Chief is accused of being a traitor. Once he is accused, he likely goes AWOL then.

ONI cleared the Chief's name. So why has he gone AWOL and why are they hunting him in H5?

Read above.

Last surviving Spartan IIs are also probably the last credible evidence of the atrocity of the program. They are a problem that I imagine ONI wants to deal with.

Deadly

Where does this stand in-universe though? Can we assume that the public of the Halo universe is getting these episodes as we are?

jem0208

Last surviving Spartan IIs are also probably the last credible evidence of the atrocity of the program. They are a problem that I imagine ONI wants to deal with.
This is a possibility, however I imagine the usefulness of the IIs outweighs that risk. Especially after the way ONI completely and utterly demolished Ben.

The campaign starts during the events of Hunt The Truth, just before Chief is accused of being a traitor. Once he is accused, he likely goes AWOL then.

Read above.
Eh, I dunno. It would be someone anti-climatic if half way through we find out they cleared the Chief's name and Locke's team aren't gunna bother chasing them anymore.

Moa

This is a possibility, however I imagine the usefulness of the IIs outweighs that risk. Especially after the way ONI completely and utterly demolished Ben.

Eh, I dunno. It would be someone anti-climatic if half way through we find out they cleared the Chief's name and Locke's team aren't gunna bother chasing them anymore.

They aren't going to be banging heads for the whole Campaign - they'll be teaming up to fight against the whole Forerunner threat. The Guardian from the Halo Xbox One trailer, for example.

Daemul

bpW6Xkd.gif

Cross-posting this from the HaloGAF thread, since you asked there too.

Well, the Game Informer Article said that Halo 5 starts before the the Embassy Incident. So I'm guessing that Halo 5 runs alongside HtT, and the end of HtT takes place around the time that Halo 5 ends and Chief's reputation is restored.

Why is that?

Living reminder of the various atrocities committed in creating them. Couple that with Chief's larger-than-life status (with correspondingly large influence) and increasingly laissez-faire attitude towards the chain of command, and, well... getting rid of them and replacing them with the squeaky clean IVs starts to look awfully attractive.

Looks like ONI will do everything in their power to wipe out the remaining spartan 2's and Halsey. They are the only remaining living proof that the crimes against humanity are true, and that is a complete liability for them at this point. I feel like ONI will do their shady "magic" and send the (order following, don't ask questions) fire team osiris out to neutralize/capture the AWOL spartan 2's..Im just curious what kind of bullshit they will feed Locke, to convince them that their mission is legitimate, and that they're not just being used to clean up their closet skeletons...Fucking hyped!!!!!

Doesn't Lasky owe Petra an interview with the Chief? Let's say that interview happens, she lets the Chief know the real story about what ONI has been up to and then decides to go AWOL knowing that ONI is trying to get rid of the Spartan IIs?

TheXbox

Cross-posting this from the HaloGAF thread, since you asked there too.

Well, the Game Informer Article said that Halo 5 starts before the the Embassy Incident. So I'm guessing that Halo 5 runs alongside HtT, and the end of HtT takes place around the time that Halo 5 ends and Chief's reputation is restored.
No chance Halo 5 ends with the HtT finale. There was no mention of the Guardians or any ongoing war in HtT. Based on the concept art and what we've been told there is some cataclysmic shit going down in H5.

No chance Halo 5 ends with the HtT finale. There was no mention of the Guardians or any ongoing war in HtT. Based on the concept art and what we've been told there is some cataclysmic shit going down in H5.

I wouldn't just immediately discount it like that. Only the outer colonies were mentioned to be attacked in the H5G Descriptions, and they also went dark during HtT. It's possible the news just hadn't made it to the general public yet, or it was being hidden from the inner colonies to avoid panic.

I think MC and Co will be cleared somewhere mid-game or near the end on the game, and then all 8 Spartans will be working together against the actual threat. Probably won't be nearly as simple as that, but maybe something akin to it.

Vico

That was great. Kudos to anyone who worked on it.
However, I'm curious about the timing of HtT and Halo 5. Seems pretty weird right now.

So what I gathered was ONI set all that up so they could have an excuse to take out the Spartan II's to cover their tracks?

But then why do they clear his name afterward? Summary anyone!? :)

Mesonak

THAT WAS AMAZING

Seriously, massive credit to the team that worked on Hunt the Truth. That was a very compelling series and I really love the added sense of perspective it added to the Halo universe. Season 2 hype!

#TeamLocke vs. #TeamKey

delta25

Banned

why would they go after him and not Halsey and Mendez and some of the higher ups that greenlite the S2 program in the first place.

How awesome would it be if we were able to play as Ben in Halo 5 by finishing the game first, and then unlocking a separate campaign where you play as him through the events of hunt the truth, or straight after episode 13 to see what ONI did to him.

Also amazing work on hunt the truth, loved it 343 !

So what I gathered was ONI set all that up so they could have an excuse to take out the Spartan II's to cover their tracks?

But then why do they clear his name afterward? Summary anyone!? :)

It is like an improvised plan after ONI found out Ben's investigation, and now they have a easier scapegoat than Chief.

ONI isn't going to risk just capturing and keeping them like they did with Halsey. Ben is fucked.

I was thinking they'd let him rot in some cell. But yeah, he's probably dead seeing how it would be pointless to let someone so sloppy with a completely tarnished name have a comeback.

i-Lo

Spartan IVs exist. They are the clean, non-crime-against-humanity edition.

Living reminder of the various atrocities committed in creating them. Couple that with Chief's larger-than-life status (with correspondingly large influence) and increasingly laissez-faire attitude towards the chain of command, and, well... getting rid of them and replacing them with the squeaky clean IVs starts to look awfully attractive.

The living Spartan II's are living evidence of ONI (and Halsey)'s sins, and because their fame and capability they are slipping out of ONI's control day by day.

There are better ways to deal with the situation that try and kill him. IRL the nuclear power generation research wasn't shut down after the tragedies that ended WWII. In the same way, ONI would be the biggest public enemy for actively hunting down MC. Making a martyr out of chief and his team would be a far favourable solution. Something else is afoot here.

I was thinking they'd let him rot in some cell. But yeah, he's probably dead seeing how it would be pointless to let someone so sloppy with a completely tarnished name have a comeback.

Ben was ridiculously sloppy.

I can't help but think how it may have been different if he had listened to Fero the first time and got out of there so she didn't need to kill the two ONI thugs.

What a sloppy, sloppy reporter.

Top Bottom