• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta Trailer

TheOddOne

He is basically the Thuway of Microsoft

Edit: it was a joke people!
fQGJ988.gif

I'm skeptical after this trailer. To me halo was CE and halo 2. 3 was just a watered down version of 2, and Reach was an attempt at bringing Shadowrun elements into the mix while 4 was a mesh between Reach and classic Halo gameplay

I don't know what 343i can do to bring halo back from the brink. I hope they can do something amazing though.

aries_71

I'm skeptical after this trailer. To me halo was CE and halo 2. 3 was just a watered down version of 2, and Reach was an attempt at bringing Shadowrun elements into the mix while 4 was a mesh between Reach and classic Halo gameplay

I don't know what 343i can do to bring halo back from the brink. I hope they can do something amazing though.

I'm highly skeptical that a return to pure Halo 1/2 mechanics will bring the masses back to the game, though somehow that is a common point of view at NeoGaf. I'm of the opinion that today's offer is so much ample than in 2001/2004, that retaining a large population for multiplayer is out of the question. Sure, there would be a core number of nostalgic players that will stick to the original game mechanics lists, but the old graphics will not cut the mustard for newish players. IMO, Halo4 dwindling population is a sign of times, not of core mechanics rejection by most players. Time will clarify, though.

Izayoi

Banned
I liked the base combat in Halo 4, the DMR felt great to use in the beginning... But over time, it became clear that the changes 343 had made were too extreme. They fundamentally changed the way Halo is played, and not for the better.

Matches quickly swing in favor of the stronger team, as they are awarded an endless stream of power weapons that become easier and easier to obtain. By the end of the match, one team is running around with snipers and rockets while the other sits helplessly, getting pounded into oblivion with no chance to strike back.

Instead of emphasizing teamwork and map control, it's merely a race to get a handful of kills and call in ordnance as quickly as possible, regardless of the game type. In that way, it is no different than Call of Duty. The objectives are merely a distraction in what is ultimately a game of attrition.

I sincerely hope that the comment about arena mode is proof that 343 recognizes this to at least some extent, and is taking steps to correct it. Removing armor abilities is definitely a huge step in the right direction as well.

Depending on how powerful the ground pound is (if that's actually what it is), it makes me a little worried about melee combat, being one of the original three pillars of Halo gameplay. Maybe I'm over-thinking this and it's not going to be a big deal, but 343's track record thus far does not exactly inspire confidence...

The slide I don't really mind. It doesn't break map traversal like the jet pack, and merely serves as a quick way to get into a crouch and maintain your forward momentum for a little while.

I ended up rambling a bit, but those are my slightly-sober, mostly-delirious 5am thoughts...

Top Bottom