• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians will be available to download and play FOR FREE 6.29 - 7.5

ParityBit

What is the difference between the normal and digital deluxe edition? I am trying to decide which I want since it is on sale.

Akai__

What is the difference between the normal and digital deluxe edition? I am trying to decide which I want since it is on sale.

You get the animated series "Fall of Reach" and a Season Pass for REQ's (2 REQ packs every week for 7 weeks). Not really worth it, imo.

I saw on Twitter that the Firefight update is releasing in roughly a few a hours. Not sure if it's legit, but I expect the trial to go live at the same time as the update.

ParityBit

I believe 25 dollars worth of req packs.

You get the animated series "Fall of Reach" and a Season Pass for REQ's (2 REQ packs every week for 7 weeks). Not really worth it, imo.

So it is really only $6 for them if you buy the digital deluxe.

Edit: I had 15 bucks in my account for some reason. Sweet! I got the deluxe version and paid $23 something. Now to finish Halo 4 ...

fernoca

Well, upgraded my retail copy to the digital deluxe. $6 more for a few REQs wasn't bad and I could finally remove the disc from my Xbox. :p

I saw on Twitter that the Firefight update is releasing in roughly a few a hours. Not sure if it's legit, but I expect the trial to go live at the same time as the update.

I think you're right. I don't see anyone confirming that it's free yet on the xbox one store. xbox.com still shows it with 50% off for gold members.

Big Brett

Well, upgraded my retail copy to the digital deluxe. $6 more for a few REQs wasn't bad and I could finally remove the disc from my Xbox. :p

Are they good req packs? I don't even remember what they unlock, skins and stuff? I would only really care about skins, not warzone stuff. thinking it's probably not necessary for me to get deluxe

fernoca

Are they good req packs? I don't even remember what they unlock, skins and stuff? I would only really care about skins, not warzone stuff. thinking it's probably not necessary for me to get deluxe
Is a mix. The first 2 I got combined stuff for Warzone (weapons, boosts, etc) with like 2 armors and an asassination.

FinKL

Digital Deluxe is $36 down from $90. Went ahead and got that even though I don't think I needed $6 worth of REQ

gweemz

Glad to see new people giving Halo 5 a try. The multiplayer is great, though 343 randomly removes maps/gametypes from Arena. It's my only complaint about this game. Arena is fun but they want that to be their MLG playlist, without giving us a social arena playlist. They gave us new maps and Assault a few months back, but those are gone from arena now.

Chris1

Anyone know when it's gonna be free? Already have it but I don't want to stick the disc in.

And yeah 80GB is rough, should be even bigger once this warzone update comes out. They should have made Halo 5 a portal and MP and SP separate downloads/installs since they're doing all this free DLC stuff. Hopefully they do that for Halo 6 otherwise it's gonna be like 150gb when all is said and done.

JackHerer

These new WZ maps look great. Too bad Warzone is so meh and just a pubstomp meat grinder.

Looking at these makes me sad we aren't going to get any dev BTB maps. Why can't they just use the assets to make a BTB version of each Warzone map? I know that's still a lot of work but the community would certainly appreciate it.

Oh that's right, BTB doesn't make them extra money so they neutered it to push people to the MT filled Warzone. It is what it is and understandable from a business point of view but it's definitely a bit slimey.

Kssio_Aug

I particularly loved the campaign, besides the overuse of
Warden Eternal
fights!

The MP is the best of the series!

People should most definitely try if they can!

Akai__

Update is live now. 7GB.

Anyone know when it's gonna be free? Already have it but I don't want to stick the disc in.

And yeah 80GB is rough, should be even bigger once this warzone update comes out. They should have made Halo 5 a portal and MP and SP separate downloads/installs since they're doing all this free DLC stuff. Hopefully they do that for Halo 6 otherwise it's gonna be like 150gb when all is said and done.

And additionally they could start to compress files to a degree where you don't lose much quality. Not sure why these files are larger than a game on old gen to be honest.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/updates/warzone-firefight

Patch notes are up for those interested on what the Latest Warzone Firefight brings.

for example:

For a limited time, to celebrate the launch of Warzone Firefight, players can now earn Gold REQ Packs for their hard fought victories!

Here’s how it works:
■ 1st Warzone Firefight Victory: 1 Gold REQ Pack
■ 3rd Warzone Firefight Victory: 3 Gold REQ Packs
■ 10th Warzone Firefight Victory: 5 Gold REQ Packs

Ready your REQs, party up and take down all enemy forces that stand in your way!

and

Designed for players new to Halo 5: Guardians, the Spartan Recruit REQ Pack is available until July 11, and arms new players with weapons and certifications capable of taking down even the most powerful Covenant and Promethean enemies.

This pack contains the following:
■ DMR Loadout Weapon
■ Magnum with Extended Mag Loadout Weapon
■ Rocket Launcher Certification + 3 Rocket Launcher REQs
■ Sniper Rifle Certification + 3 Sniper Rifle REQs
■ Scorpion Certification + 3 Scorpion REQs

Learn more about the Spartan Recruit REQ Pack on the Xbox Live Marketplace

and

FORGE

New/Updated Features:
■New Canvas: Tidal
■Four lighting variants!!!
■Increased certain budgets
■Increased physics budget ~50% (!)
■Max object count on map raised to 1600 (!!!) objects NOTE: There is a hard limit where you can only have 1024 objects visible on your screen at once before objects begin to not render.
■Vehicle Welding officially supported

a lot more to read...

Well, I guess there are zillions of users downloading, as I can't get DL speeds higher than 3.4 mbit (on a 250 mbit connection).

Let's wait.

Glad to see new people giving Halo 5 a try. The multiplayer is great, though 343 randomly removes maps/gametypes from Arena. It's my only complaint about this game. Arena is fun but they want that to be their MLG playlist, without giving us a social arena playlist. They gave us new maps and Assault a few months back, but those are gone from arena now.
Not played for months but this is stupid of them

What is funny is that they even posted this today ...

http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/29/war...ardians-download-halo-5-guardians-free-today/

As mentioned last week, in celebration of the launch of Warzone Firefight, Halo 5: Guardians will be available free to download for anyone with Xbox Live Gold starting today and running to July 5! This will also be a great chance to buy the game if you haven’t done so already – Halo 5: Guardians will be available 50 percent off in the Xbox Store!
Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/29/war...o-5-guardians-free-today/#EZrWdyYhoS1uWHwz.99

Yet here we are, with the only option to buy it 50% off :p

Advice on the req packs: if you plan to play long-term, use the tiered buying strategy, which means you should start with bronze packs only, until you have no unlocks from them, then move on to silver, then gold. I can't remember what tier of items the warzone req packs (from the digital deluxe) contains but I think you should hold on them until you at least finish the bronze reqs.

Theorry

Update from Greenberg. Hopefully they extend it. Because thats a day gone for EU and beyond and also need to download 80gb when it comes out arround midnight.

"Update: The @Halo 5 free play & all REQs will be up a little after 2pm PDT today, Firefight is available now!".

Big Brett

Pretty pathetic how I'm thinking of just buying it now instead of waiting till the weekend to see if I'm really going to stick to it, solely because of how long it's taking for the free download

Update from Greenberg. Hopefully they extend it. Because thats a day gone for EU and beyond and also need to download 80gb when it comes out arround midnight.

"Update: The @Halo 5 free play & all REQs will be up a little after 2pm PDT today, Firefight is available now!".

Thanks for the update!

Rockyrock

Pretty pathetic how I'm thinking of just buying it now instead of waiting till the weekend to see if I'm really going to stick to it, solely because of how long it's taking for the free download

Has anything Halo related gone smoothly under 343's reign?

this was probably just some ploy to get people over to the purchase screen and click it by accident tbh lol.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So still a little less than 2 hours... lol 1 hour before the 30th here in EU. Considering it'll take 19hours to download and it's one of the titles which don't allow to play before fully installed and I can't pull an all nighter just to play it, that means that for most of EU with a 10Mbit connection it'll be available 2 days later than anticipated.

:(

Top Bottom