• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 has sold over 5 million units WorldWide

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexNovis

Banned
That doesn't say shipped though.

We don't have any confirmation either way about whether it's sold through or not.

Given the figures for sold through in the US and the ratio of XB1 sales in the US as compared to ROTW its pretty much impossible for it to have reached 5 million sold through.

I can't believe Zhuge said "eh, same thing" when asked if Sold through or Sold in.

He (should) know better than that...

Yep surprised me too.

Given the figures for sold through in the US and the ratio of XB1 sales in the US as compared to ROTW its pretty much impossible for it to have reached 5 million sold through.

Yep surprised me too.

Would be curious to see that breakdown, if anyone has done it.

Also, Frankie's post mentions sales at three months, and we're well past that now - so it sounds like you're implying they stuffed the channels and the shipments have basically not sold anything since. No?

I do wonder how much digital sales makes this hard to decipher with physical sales only...I suspect H5 might be above average on the digital % end of things (yeah yeah, I know, 99% digital jokes incoming). I just think as this generation goes on (and digital gets bigger), it'll be more and more difficult to use physical sales to assess sales success of a tile.

I could still find Halo 3 Legendary Editions as late as 2012 at a Best Buy or Gamestop.

Have a feeling it'll be the same with Halo 5 limited editions.

gafneo

Banned
343 was an overall bad choice for bringing us more Halo. Last 2 disappointed and lost my interest after a week from playing. Rare should have picked it up after bungie left. New Rare would at least bring new ideas to the dated formula. No local co-op? That's 4 mill copies dropped from dedicated fans. No match making co-op while BLOPS3 is directly competing. That's 3 more mill down the drain.

Kalentan

343 was an overall bad choice for bringing us more Halo. Last 2 disappointed and lost my interest after a week from playing. Rare should have picked it up after bungie left. New Rare would at least bring new ideas to the dated formula. No local co-op? That's 4 mill copies dropped from dedicated fans. No match making co-op while BLOPS3 is directly competing. That's 3 more mill down the drain.

You think they lost 4 mil in sales due to no split screen? What?

Also I think your underestimating Halo, it's no longer just a game series but a multimedia franchise. Games, comics, books, live-action, spin-offs and more. 343i was made to make Halo and nothing but Halo, cause it's a commitment with how much goes into it.

RexNovis

Banned
Would be curious to see that breakdown, if anyone has done it.

Also, Frankie's post mentions sales at three months, and we're well past that now - so it sounds like you're implying they stuffed the channels and the shipments have basically not sold anything since. No?

I do wonder how much digital sales makes this hard to decipher with physical sales only...I suspect H5 might be above average on the digital % end of things (yeah yeah, I know, 99% digital jokes incoming). I just think as this generation goes on (and digital gets bigger), it'll be more and more difficult to use physical sales to assess sales success of a tile.

Halo 5 sales in US at retail according to NPD by the end of 2015 were 1.7 million. Even assuming that it stayed at its high debut digital split of 32% (which is incredibly unlikely) that would still mean it has sold through around 2.5 million in the US. US represents significantly more than 50% of XB1's software and hardware sales so there is just no feasible way it has sold through 5 million. The numbers simply dont add up.

Cynn

Halo 5 is in my opinion one of the best multiplayer experiences of all time. The gameplay just feels perfected.

RexNovis

Banned
And those include digital sales? What of the rest of the globe's sales?

Halo 5 debuted with a digital split of 32% and its incredibly unlikely it maintained that split for sales post debut. See my post above for a breakdown of the most optimistic digital projections.

The US accounts for well over 60% of all XB1 software and hardware sales that we have reliable data for. There is absolutely no reason to assume that Halo 5 would be any different.

Gestault

I found it hilarious/depressing seeing some people conclude from the "all 2015 first-party xb1 releases through christmas sold at least a million" statement meant that surely Halo 5 only sold 1 million.

Halo 5 debuted with a digital split of 32% and its incredibly unlikely it maintained that split for sales post debut. See my post above for a breakdown of the most optimistic digital projections.

Just saw your post there, but what makes you so certain about how unlikely it is for the digital split to remain high? With digital sales and more and more movement towards digital storefronts I dunno why you'd assume that. Especially if your hypothesis of the channel being stuffed was correct. If the channel was saturated then retail wouldn't be selling a whole lot, which obviously promotes the digital percentage. Add in the fact that the game gets DLC routinely (and is marketed well on the dashboard) and your confidence in that claim ought to dwindle a bit imo. The more MS markets the game's MP/DLC, the more likely folks are to get the digital version. They have been doing a great job with post-launch MP support and highlighting MP tourneys for a while now.

All that considered, I'm not so sure your assumption about how the split evolves is all that solid. Do you have evidence that I can check out?

The US accounts for well over 60% of all XB1 software and hardware sales that we have reliable data for. There is absolutely no reason to assume that Halo 5 would be any different.

People made this kind of logic the centerpiece of their conclusions for how RotTR only sold a couple hundred thousand too (which was not true, as it turns out). Are you accounting for the digital market here in this particular statement?

Perfected? Please explain

Lots of reviews lay out a case for that. I'd agree with the guy you quoted if we focused on the mechanics. Level design was great too imo. Enemy encounters would have used work though. Shame too, since the enemy AI is fantastic yet they don't show it off with lackluster encounter design. It really sours the overall gameplay experience, even the stuff that works really, really well on its own.

Kalentan

Perfected? Please explain

It feels really tight and the added new mechanics (maybe sans the more controversial Spartan Charge), are welcome additions. Even Sprint has been balanced so it's useful, but you don't want to sprint when low shields since your shields don't recharge. It also has the best balancing the series has had in a long time with most of the guns being good rather than the game devolving into everyone using BR's.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That's...not that impressive, isn't it?

I remember back in the day when Halo 2 sold like what, 2 million units with 24-48 hours? And Halo 3 did even better than that?

I mean, yes in isolation, 5 million is nothing to sneeze at, but with a pedigree such as Halo, you would think it would have done better after all this time.

Kalentan

I remember back in the day when Halo 2 sold like what, 2 million units with 24-48 hours? And Halo 3 did even better than that?

I mean, yes in isolation, 5 million is nothing to sneeze at, but with a pedigree such as Halo, you would think it would have done better after all this time.

Think about when Halo 2 and 3 released. The market is very different now. More competition now than ever.

Lingitiz

It's coming off two contentious entries and it's on the second place console. The numbers are good but I'm not surprised they're a bit lower than previously. Halo will probably never be the juggernaut it once was, at least currently on the Xbox One. Curious to see how 6 will do when it likely launches on XB1 and PC.

Oblivion

Think about when Halo 2 and 3 released. The market is very different now. More competition now than ever.

There's more FPS competition now than there was on the Xbox and Xbox 360?

It's coming off two contentious entries and it's on the second place console. The numbers are good but I'm not surprised they're a bit lower than previously. Halo will probably never be the juggernaut it once was, at least currently on the Xbox One. Curious to see how 6 will do when it likely launches on XB1 and PC.

Xbox sold a total of 20 million units. Halo 2 was on that system.

Welfare

Halo was one of THE games to own back in the Xbox/PS2 gen, and was the only worthwhile FPS. 360 era brought in CoD, Battlefield, and the oversaturation of the genre. XB1 is bringing in games as services, with the biggest one on consoles being Destiny.

So yeah, more. Much more.

Kalentan

Uh. Yeah? There's WAY more competiton now. Remember that Call of Duty didn't blow up until months after Halo 3.

Xbox sold a total of 20 million units. Halo 2 was on that system.

Halo 2 was not only a sequel to the surprise hit Halo (which while not the original FPS on console to have decent controls, it is the one that sort of mastered them), but also was released with xbox live which birthed online gaming for the xbox.

Then Halo 3 was riding on the major success of the Xbox 360 and was the "end" of a trilogy.

Edit: Oops, my memory was wrong, XBL launched 2 years before Halo 2... Not that it matters since Halo 2 was still THE game to buy for XBL.

singhr1

Xbox 360 sold a total of 20 million units. Halo 2 was on that system.

Yes. Halo 3 was relatively early in 360 life cycle

I know u meant original xbox. But once again, Halo isnt and never will be the same phenomenon it was then. This is not a knock at 343 or the quality of the game they can produce. All things fall apart. Think how paradigm shifting this Xbox Live seller was back then. Clans and friend lists built in.

Yes. Halo had the mindshare back then because the multiplayer communities kept it in the spotlight, along with new additions like 4p online Halo 3 co-op with campaign scoring and many other features other games took years to adopt, if ever.

SwolBro

Banned
No no no, sales were underwhelming!
Yes, make sure to keep up the narrative or else no one will believe it was a failure!

lol, who thought back in 2007, when Halo 3 was breaking records and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune launched to little fanfare on a struggling platform, that the latter series would be a bigger deal ~10 years later. Funny how things change.
They are both huge to their respective platforms. Stop with the fanboy shit

Oblivion

Okay, thinking about it, yeah I was definitely wrong about the idea that there were more FPS games on the original Xbox than now.

Halo 2 was not only a sequel to the surprise hit Halo (which while not the original FPS on console to have decent controls, it is the one that sort of mastered them), but also was released with xbox live which birthed online gaming for the xbox.

Dude, Xbox Live launched in November 2002 a full 2 years ahead of Halo 2.

I remember the early days when Mech Assault was the game of choice. I also absolutely loved Crimson Skies.

Kssio_Aug

I had some severe MP issues when I bought, which made me decide to return it. Bought recently again it's working pretty damn well! =)

The game is amazing, and even though I do think 343 takes quite long to fix some severe issues (it was like that with both MCC and Halo 5), I'm glad they keep supporting and working on making the experience better for everyone. So I'm glad they're selling well!

Also worth noting that I have a blast with both campaign and MP in this game (now that's working well). It's a great package with constant support! It's rare to see games nowadays with both modes so damn competent and so full of features!

Striker

Uh. Yeah? There's WAY more competiton now. Remember that Call of Duty didn't blow up until months after Halo 3.
Even then, CoD didn't truly blow up until MW2. Halo 3 competed against the less popular CoD games (MW2 sold nearly double what MW did, and World at War sold less than MW). Then Bungie released Reach, CoD and Battlefield were growing rapidly, and Reach did well enough and was populated extremely well. The big fallout came when Halo 4 arrived, then MCC...

Reach had matchmaking for its co-op campaign and a working file sharing system. One has been disabled and the other has been abysmal since.

Sydle

It's funny, and a little fishy, this news happened right after that Kotaku article claimed Halo 5 fell short of Microsoft projection.

lol

It's based on a tweet that was sourced by a post here on GAF by Stinkles. MS didn't put out an official statement and, if I'm just guessing, Frankie regrets it.

Kalentan

Dude, Xbox Live launched in November 2002 a full 2 years ahead of Halo 2.

I remember the early days when Mech Assault was the game of choice. I also absolutely loved Crimson Skies.

OH. Huh. I forgot. Well anyway, it was still the big Xbox Live game to play.

Is this shipped or sold-through?

congrats either way though, definitely less than previous games, but just like GT6, still a big seller that not enough people give credit to. A bunch of titles would love to be a 5 million shipped/sold right now.

Could still be under what MS wanted and all that jazz, but it’s not a dead IP in the slightest...

I thought the campaign was rather mediocre, and never really put any real time into the multiplayer, but these are pretty great numbers, considering most Xbox One exclusives have performed somewhat poorly sales-wise. Here's hoping Gears 4 is a winner too.

Lets say it sold through to customers over 5 million at this point. It is pretty obvious that the "Halo 5 has grossed over 400 Million Dollars" MS PR statement after it launched included everything Halo during that month, not just the game sales. They had to throw in Halo Headsets, Halo Limited Console, T-Shirts, Mega Blocks, everything in that 400 Million figure. Right?

Okay, thinking about it, yeah I was definitely wrong about the idea that there were more FPS games on the original Xbox than now.
Don't be cute, there were many great shooters on the original Xbox. Halo was just ahead of its time for console shooters back then.

You're wrong.

Lol, everyone asking Stinkles if the number is shipped vs sold the last couple of pages.

Stinkles returns to answer one question "Who is Stinkles?"

etta

my hard graphic balls
Congratulations to 343i, sales aren't as bad as I thought and read.

For Halo 6, please please please please use some quality writers for the campaign, and focus on Chief. A titan of a title like this should excel at all components, and multiplayer is already solid, gameplay mechanics are solid, just please focus on the story. Halo deserves better than what 5's campaign was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom