• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 has sold over 5 million units WorldWide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey you guys know what other game "sold" close to 5 million? E.T.

I'm not saying Halo 5 hasn't sold through 5 million copies, just that 5 million shipped doesn't mean much. If you had 5 million shipped at the end of 2015, combined with digital sales, it could very well have actually reached 5 million... I just want to see the receipts!

Comparing Halo 5 to ET?

post-30289-dog-bitch-smack-face-gif-cUv1.gif

Fdkn

I mean, is not that weird they shipped ~5million (actually less talking about retail because digital is counted on that number).

Halo was expected to sell much more than what it did at release.

The question is if they needed to ship copies after that and how many if so.

I know I see folks on gaf saying the mp is awesome but I put in a good near 500 plus mathes in the last month and almost every person I talk to vastly prefers halo 3. Quite different from what I would have assumed (atleast for folks actually playing h5)

And I would say that a lot of players are perhaps new console owners, half my games have people that look like they have no idea how to play halo

If this is true, and given the install base of the XB1, how in the hell could this have not met MS's expectations? Were they expecting more than a quarter of the people who own an Xbox to buy Halo?

jem0208

tell that to Halo 3
Halo 3 releases at peak hype for Halo when it was basically the king of console FPS.

Halo 5 released after a very lukewarm reception to 4 and a very broken MCC.

That's not to mention much larger competition in the console fps space now.

Welfare

Didn't halo 4 sell like, 9 million+?

Possibly? Halo total sales topped 46m in October 2012 and then hit 60 million in October 2014.

Only game released after Halo 4 was Spartan Assault, but even with legacy sales for Halo 3, ODST, Wars, Reach, and CEA, it's possible Halo 4 even broke 10m, then you have sales for past October 2014.

That doesn't say shipped though.

We don't have any confirmation either way about whether it's sold through or not.

We have leaked sell through data for the US and it's impossible for 5m to not be shipped.

Elandyll

Banned
I can't believe Zhuge said "eh, same thing" when asked if Sold through or Sold in.

He (should) know better than that...

Comparing Halo 5 to ET?

post-30289-dog-bitch-smack-face-gif-cUv1.gif

I thought that one would get a rise!

Straight from wikipedia: "E.T. met with initial commercial success. It was among the top four on Billboard magazine's "Top 15 Video Games" sales list in December 1982 and January 1983.[24] The game eventually sold 1.5 million units, becoming one of the best-selling Atari 2600 titles.[19][25] However, between 2.5 and 3.5 million cartridges went unsold.[8][25][26]"

Cranster

Banned
I thought that one would get a rise!

Straight from wikipedia: "E.T. met with initial commercial success. It was among the top four on Billboard magazine's "Top 15 Video Games" sales list in December 1982 and January 1983.[24] The game eventually sold 1.5 million units, becoming one of the best-selling Atari 2600 titles.[19][25] However, between 2.5 and 3.5 million cartridges went unsold.[8][25][26]"
Except people are assuming that Halo 5's numbers are shipped to retail figures, let alone we have no numbers to go by for the past 6 months.

I know I see folks on gaf saying the mp is awesome but I put in a good near 500 plus mathes in the last month and almost every person I talk to vastly prefers halo 3. Quite different from what I would have assumed (atleast for folks actually playing h5)

And I would say that a lot of players are perhaps new console owners, half my games have people that look like they have no idea how to play halo
Whoever you're talking to either hasn't played Halo 3 in a long time or they're just subhuman H3 BR filth.

Kalentan

Whoever you're talking to either hasn't played Halo 3 in a long time or they're just subhuman H3 BR filth.

Halo 3 MP hasn't aged well. At all.

Like don't wet me wrong, it's playable. Buy playing on both 360 and in the MCC, it just feels off. The guns, more so the BR, feel bad to use.

Except people are assuming that Halo 5's numbers are shipped to retail figures, let alone we have no numbers to go by for the past 6 months.

Well yeah, it was just an extreme example to show that 5 million shipped doesn't really tell you much about sold through numbers. I also think that it's entirely possible Halo 5 HAS sold through close to that amount.

Edit: I'm actually curious how often copies of overshipped games get sent back. There was that hilarious quarter where the Wii U did negative numbers in the UK, but not sure how this really works with games. Does anyone have some insight? Note: I am not saying this is the case with Halo 5 everybody.

This so much. I don't think the people asking for a Halo 3 Anniversary truly understand what they are asking for when it comes to MP. Awful BR, ridiculously slow movement speed, and only 3 or 4 good arena maps. I'd take a redone campaign though.

BR spread still gives me night terrors.
lol
This so much. I don't think the people asking for a Halo 3 Anniversary truly understand what they are asking for when it comes to MP. Awful BR, ridiculously slow movement speed, and only 3 or 4 good arena maps. I'd take a redone campaign though.
It doesn't have to be remade to be as inconsistent as it was lol. Look at Halo 2 Anniversary's multiplayer as a base of reference. This is what I posted earlier in the Halo OT:
Yeah, and I wouldn't be opposed to it either. If they give us H3A but make it Halo 3 + new additions like H2A was, then that could potentially be pretty awesome. No sprint, projectile weapons, they could include the Grenade Launcher, DMR, CE Pistol, etc.

Cranster

Banned
Halo 3 releases at peak hype for Halo when it was basically the king of console FPS.

Halo 5 released after a very lukewarm reception to 4 and a very broken MCC.

That's not to mention much larger competition in the console fps space now.
Don't forget the Xbox One announcement fiasco that cost Microsoft alot of goodwill.

lol, who thought back in 2007, when Halo 3 was breaking records and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune launched to little fanfare on a struggling platform, that the latter series would be a bigger deal ~10 years later. Funny how things change.

What did UC4 sell?

<5 mil (and it's extremely likely sell-through is under 4mil) is a pretty low bar for UC4's LTD after 5 months.

Expect Halo 6 to be simultaneously released on PC and Xbox(es). Halo 5 numbers have to be considered unacceptable to MS brass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom