• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 screenshots ['Blue Team' campaign mission]

Reaperssj

Idk what it is but something feels like its missing from the graphics side of things idk if it is the art style but im just not feeling it. Its not mind blowing like Halo CE, Halo CE will always be one my favorite FPS single player experiences

Lakitu

st5fu
Art design looks fine. Seriously how is it any different from levels like The Pillar of Autumn. Cairo Station and Crow's Nest?

I dunno. The UNSC environment looks very boring, and very flatly lit. It looks like a redux of the first level from Halo 4 at that.

And to be honest, the overall asset quality doesn't look like a huge leap from Halo 4. Yes it's doing more, but I could honestly mistake most of those for Halo 4 screenshots and assets. The leap from Halo Reach to Halo 4 spoiled me, and then games that look stunning like Destiny really have left me spoiled and wanting more.

I guess it's a 2 part thing for me. I don't like 343's/Halo 5's art style, and I also find the engine to be underwhelming.

Lasty95

yeah, everyone's been REAL SOFT on 343 after the Reach TU, Halo 4, MCC, etc etc.

lmao

The TU was actually very good from what I remember. Made Reach PvP almost playable.

But otherwise they're still coasting on good will for a franchise they've done nothing but dilute, for a system bereft of decent exclusives.

The materials look massively better than what they showed previously, didn't expect that. Hopefully the materials in multiplayer look better too.

The TU was actually very good from what I remember. Made Reach PvP almost playable.

But otherwise they're still coasting on good will for a franchise they've done nothing but dilute, for a system bereft of decent exclusives.

Was struggling to find a motive, but now, it's all clear.

HTupolev

Wow... real quality posting going on here. How does this not look like Halo exactly?
Extreme focus on middle-frequency detail, Hollywood color schemes (i.e. garish orange-on-teal). Outdoor environments we've seen so far have that modern game dry paste appearance that Bungie seems to have mostly avoided.

Halo under Bungie tended to focus on large-scale geometry and fine surface detail, utilizing a different array of color schemes including things like teal-on-purple or bold blue-green-grey (and usually had more natural white point), with lighting+shading focused to give a hard appearance with clean and expressive specular.

jelly

It's okay. Very bored of that look though, like that different ground texture at least. The natural environments shown so far look nice. Still not too fond of their alien architecture, I'm not sure what it is, over designed, obvious that it's a level rather than a place, I dunno. Same for human stuff. Hope the levels play well.

Extreme focus on middle-frequency detail, Hollywood color schemes (i.e. garish orange-on-teal). Outdoor environments we've seen so far have that modern game dry paste appearance that Bungie seems to have mostly avoided.

Halo under Bungie tended to focus on large-scale geometry and fine surface detail, utilizing a different array of color schemes including things like teal-on-purple or bold blue-green-grey (and usually had more natural white point), with lighting+shading focused to give a hard appearance with clean and expressive specular.
I really miss Bungie's simple and clean look.
343 doesn't seem to understand that adding lots of geometric detail doesn't automatically make it look better.

Wow it looks so much like Destiny!

I know you're just making a bad joke, but Destiny has a much dirtier look to the game (which I like). While the two art styles are obviously going to be similar, I think Destiny and Halo have enough difference between them to look unique at this point.

jelly

Art design looks fine. Seriously how is it any different from levels like The Pillar of Autumn. Cairo Station and Crow's Nest?

Soft spot for Autumn being my first Halo level but I hate the other two. Two wrongs don't make a right I suppose.

Wasp

Looks like generic spaceship interiors.

I by far prefer the more natural and outside locations in Halo games, such as on a planet's surface or a Halo ring.

Doesn't even look like Halo.

They haven't got a bloody clue.

bf9.jpg

If you insist...

The Pillar of Autumn
Cairo Station
Crow's Nest
Halo 5

Cairo Station might be the best comparison. My problem with 343i's human environments is how cluttered they feel. And I agree that the art style in 5 also feels uninspired, as others have suggested in this thread. I don't even know what the hell I'm supposed to be looking at in half of those screens.

pringles

PoA is beautifully designed imo. The other two are pretty 'meh' so it's not exactly a great thing if that's the type of level this is comparable to.

If you insist...

The Pillar of Autumn

Cairo Station

Crow's Nest

Halo 5

Cairo Station might be the best comparison. My problem with 343i's human environments is how cluttered they feel. And I agree that the art style in 5 also feels uninspired, as others have suggested in this thread. I don't even know what the hell I'm supposed to be looking at in half of those screens.

Exactly. And it's just boring to look at.. it's all flat and white, looks like shiny forge pieces.

It just doesn't have any character IMO

Composite/Ceramic armour plating?

Yeah maybe, but the way the lighting interacts is pretty bland.

jelly

A blue level and a green level with bits to be followed by a purple level and orange level with bits.

The levels are hard to describe and you can't imagine anyone going about their business in these environments except the player running through killing everything that moves. It's a nothing place.

Lakitu

st5fu
PoA is beautifully designed imo. The other two are pretty 'meh' so it's not exactly a great thing if that's the type of level this is comparable to.

Are you talking about level design or art design?

I'm more referring to a feeling of those levels not being particularly remarkable in terms of art design to the rest of the missions in the game, even though they're pretty good. But they're just fairly standard human interior design. This one at least seems pretty.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
At the very least, I wish the material of the armor looked more like this:

0jE4E5g.jpg

What we have looks so flat. The new visors look better though.
eww no

first feathers in jurassic world and now this? bad opinion train choo choo
<3

Zenner

Does Halo 5 have a photo-mode to take third-person screenshots with? Or do we only have dev/promo screenshots.

A blue level and a green level with bits to be followed by a purple level and orange level with bits.

The levels are hard to describe and you can't imagine anyone going about their business in these environments except the player running through killing everything that moves. It's a nothing place.
You just about summed it up. The level design brazenly conforms itself to whatever's convenient for the gameplay style, and it stands out like a sore thumb. Doesn't feel natural. It's like a testing chamber for these cool abilities the Spartans now have (for example, the overwhelming amount of tall cylinder objects ideal for the new ground pound ability).

Akai__

I really miss Bungie's simple and clean look.
343 doesn't seem to understand that adding lots of geometric detail doesn't automatically make it look better.

Add colorful to this and I agree with this post to 100%.

I'm not a fan of over-detailed maps, especially when you add Grenade sized bugs on your MP maps just for the sake of more details. These details are not important on MP maps, because everyone will notice them like once and then they will focus on the actual gameplay. At least that's how I think about it. :/

jelly

You just about summed it up. The level design brazenly conforms itself to whatever's convenient for the gameplay style, and it stands out like a sore thumb. Doesn't feel natural. It's like a testing chamber for these cool abilities the Spartans now have (for example, the overwhelming amount of tall cylinder objects ideal for the new ground pound ability).

Focusing on making the level work for game play is no bad thing, a necessity but it needs to come together better and feel like it has more of a purpose. It looks very much like a scatter gun approach. For example, destruction from a past event could make up for convenient level design, a more unique piece of tech that stands out within the level rather than this level looks the same throughout. I know we may not care when the action starts and we are leaping off nicely placed scenery but character of a level adds a lot and makes levels memorable. Halo should be awe-inspiring at times and you shouldn't be thinking where the hell was I ?

drebin.jpg

Me too. They have a very cohesive aesthetic going on. Not sure why, but I feel like you could show me a random environment from this game without any characters or props and it would still look like Halo 5.

I agree, but I mark that up in the con-column this time around. The space area looks great and elites look better, but the overall aesthetic is too clean and samey for my taste. Not very creative, imo. Like every level is made out of the same few assets. Perhaps we just haven't seen enough of the game yet, but I think I have.

Still looking forward to it, though.

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah. Halo 4 was amazing!
And yeah, Halo 5 is looking like Halo.

Agreed on both points.

Although, what do people expect graphics wise? 60fps on the xbone. Something has gotta give. Next gen is where we will hopefully see a real sexy halo again.

This thread needs some Killzone pictures.

But seriously this game looks good. It's a lot crisper than the beta, so it's probably higher than 720p

eww no

first feathers in jurassic world and now this? bad opinion train choo choo
<3

I just want something that makes the armor look less flat. A little bit of metallic sheen, gloss, anything.

I'm getting feathers into Jurassic World sequels if it's the last thing I do.

I liked what I've been seeing from Halo 5, but this is the first time i'm looking at screens that aren't wowing me. Something about some of these look not quite as good what we've been seeing. I'm sure it's stellar in motion though. I wish I could even get this game. I need friends who have an X1.

Top Bottom