• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo for Xbox One is Halo 5? *gasp*

TheXbox

I have so many mixed feelings about this game. On one hand, it feels like after Halo 4 the series just isn't for me... on the other hand I know that if they make a real Halo game this time I'll fucking cry and buy an Xbox One without hesitation.

I am the problem.

Jawmuncher

We already knew this was going to be the case even though MS said nothing at E3.
Regardless I hope 343 manages something great unlike the travesty that was Halo 4.
Seriously in terms of gameplay, especially MP they need to look more at Halo 2 than anything else. Even with Halo 2 having been rushed it still stands as probably the best Halo game in terms of content and new features. It was exactly what a sequel is supposed to be. Enough new content to make it feel like the gap between games was worthwhile and yet still pleased fans of the previous games. Halo 4 campaign wise played it so safe that by the end of it I was falling asleep. Didn't help that the campaign made no damn sense if you weren't on top of your Halo lore. Plus just all around it just wasn't very fun. Then the problems with MP have been talked to death. All I can say is I liked the idea of what they tried to do but it still needs serious work.

Ogimachi

I have so many mixed feelings about this game. On one hand, it feels like after Halo 4 the series just isn't for me... on the other hand I know that if they make a real Halo game this time I'll fucking cry and buy an Xbox One without hesitation.

I am the problem.
"I am the problem." - TheXbox.

Poetic.

Nyoro SF

I am the problem.

Well, I mean, your username man!

TheXbox

We already knew this was going to be the case even though MS said nothing at E3.
Regardless I hope 343 manages something great unlike the travesty that was Halo 4.
Seriously in terms of gameplay, especially MP they need to look more at Halo 2 than anything else. Even with Halo 2 having been rushed it still stands as probably the best Halo game in terms of content and new features. It was exactly what a sequel is supposed to be. Enough new content to make it feel like the gap between games was worthwhile and yet still pleased fans of the previous games. Halo 4 campaign wise played it so safe that by the end of it I was falling asleep. Didn't help that the campaign made no damn sense if you weren't on top of your Halo lore. Plus just all around it just wasn't very fun. Then the problems with MP have been talked to death. All I can say is I liked the idea of what they tried to do but it still needs serious work.
I think Halo 3 was a better sequel than Halo 2. 2 was fine, but like you said it was rushed and a lot of people tend to forget it was very broken when it released. Halo 3 was pretty much everything Halo 2 was but polished. (minus hitscan...) Honestly, though, I really don't care what Halo game they draw inspiration from, as long as it isn't 4.

Jawmuncher

I think Halo 3 was a better sequel than Halo 2. 2 was fine, but like you said it was rushed and a lot of people tend to forget it was very broken when it released. Halo 3 was pretty much everything Halo 2 was but polished. (minus hitscan...) Honestly, though, I really don't care what Halo game they draw inspiration from, as long as it isn't 4.

I think that's the one thing all Halo fans can agree on

I think that's the one thing all Halo fans can agree on
You'd be surprised how many don't believe the same way. That they Want all the bad CoD elemtents to continue.

How they're tired of the same old copy/paste Halo... How stupid those people are to believe that conforming with it is the way Halo must continue. Like Kevin suggesting Flinch is better than Descoping.

Not realizing that it's ruining the MP.

SP: Halo 3 + CE
Story: Halo 2 + ODST
MP: Halo 2 + 3

By Story you mean Storytelling, not Plot, right? Otherwise I would much prefer a CE-type barebones plot. Stranded on alien world, attacked by overwhelming enemy force. Mostly on the run, sometimes trying to mount a counter-offensive, etc.

By Story you mean Storytelling, not Plot, right? Otherwise I would much prefer a CE-type barebones plot. Stranded on alien world, attacked by overwhelming enemy force. Mostly on the run, sometimes trying to mount a counter-offensive, etc.

Yeah, storytelling, although I really did enjoy the large universe space opera style of Halo 2 as well.

EBE

I liked Halo 4s multiplayer. Must have sunk a hundred hours or so into it. That said, loadouts are garbage, vehicles were useless, and some armor abilities could really break the flow of gameplay (on a map by map basis). Oh, and the maps weren't that great.

But ordnance wasn't bad. People like to throw out comparisons to COD but it really wasn't. You weren't getting 10 free kills from on overhead Pelican or anything.

Didn't play much of 3 online but even then I could tell it was much more balanced and thought out. Hopefully 343 are allowed to take their time in this area and put out something solid.

ari

Banned
Halo 3 was indeed the most rounded halo of them all. MS kinda ruined the novelty of it and halo 4 chances of being mind blowing with all the useless money grabbing entries that came after 3 (wars, reach, odst,waypoint). Those meh games kinda ruined the franchises charm honestly.

Halo 2 anniversary is next year right? 10 year anniversary? Yea, I don't think halo 5 is next year unless the halo 2 anniversary is a xbla game or a map pack for 5.

wwm0nkey

Halo 2 while not the best SP had the best universe expansion in the series. Halo 4 I feel tried this but tied off too much of it in books and hidden terminals.

Akai__

We don't make games for reviewers. We make games for
CyReN

In all respect, devs shouldn't make statements like this. Do you know, what awaits you, if this turns out to be wrong? That's not good for business. It's saying "Trust Us ™ " all over again and we know, how that turned out, sadly.

Maybe, I'm taking this too serious, but that sounds like a promise to me.

Edit:
Can confirm.

back to the test lab.

Don't know, what to trust now. I'm confused. :/

Castef

Banned
Look at the clouds above Halo

be3.gif

Yeah, storytelling, although I really did enjoy the large universe space opera style of Halo 2 as well.
Halo 2 while not the best SP had the best universe expansion in the series. Halo 4 I feel tried this but tied off too much of it in books and hidden terminals.

I can appreciate what Bungie tried to achieve with Halo 2 story-wise (i.e. "space opera", Covenant civil war, etc), but they didn't quite achieve the grandiosity I would thought they were aiming for, in my opinion. I would rather see 343i not being over their head in the plot department and "go back to basics", than have another attempt at an epic story and fail.

That's just my opinion though.

abadguy

Banned
Halo 3 was indeed the most rounded halo of them all. MS kinda ruined the novelty of it and halo 4 chances of being mind blowing with all the useless money grabbing entries that came after 3 (wars, reach, odst,waypoint). Those meh games kinda ruined the franchises charm honestly.

Halo 2 anniversary is next year right? 10 year anniversary? Yea, I don't think halo 5 is next year unless the halo 2 anniversary is a xbla game or a map pack for 5.

ODST had one of the best campaigns, way better than Halo 2, Reach was quite good campaign wise as well not sure how Halo Waypoint counts asa hunch"money grab" either but whatever. Halo 4 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be either SP or MP wise. Reach probably had the words multi of the Halo games not to mention awful maps.

You'd be surprised how many don't believe the same way. That they Want all the bad CoD elemtents to continue.

How they're tired of the same old copy/paste Halo... How stupid those people are to believe that conforming with it is the way Halo must continue. Like Kevin suggesting Flinch is better than Descoping.

Not realizing that it's ruining the MP.

It's their funeral if they want to cater to the dwindling population who still wants CoD elements.

I want Halo MP to be like it was in its heyday in Halo 2 and 3 and going back to its roots should be priority number one.

ODST had one of the best campaigns, way better than Halo 2, Reach was quite good campaign wise as well not sure how Halo Waypoint counts asa hunch"money grab" either but whatever. Halo 4 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be either SP or MP wise. Reach probably had the words multi of the Halo games not to mention awful maps.

Reach had for better multiplayer than H4. That is why it lasted way longer,it has as much players as H4 right now lol.

For the Campaign, they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. I'm way more lenient and open to fresh ideas to explore, especially since I know it won't be where I'm putting the hours and hours of gameplay into for the long haul. They just need to make it fun and not the jumbled mess that H4 was.

Multiplayer:
CE weapons (functionality, unique traits, overall feel of how powerful/useful everything felt)
H2 maps and gametypes
H3 vehicles

TheOddOne

Reach had for better multiplayer than H4. That is why it lasted way longer,it has as much players as H4 right now lol.
I wonder if you was active through the armor lock and jetpack abuse times, the over reliance on Forge maps times, splitscreen abusers and quitters galore times. Oh, those were fun, fun, fun times.

Halo 4 and Reach are equally bad, both brought elements that broke the sandbox.

Top Bottom