• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might as well, with the Covenant still being an antagonistic force and all. Especially after it's hand-waved in one line.

It's not actually.

1. It is not the same Covies (Kilo 5 Trilogy)

2. Halo 4 literally starts off where we last saw Cortana and Master Chief.

I will say that it isn't explained all that much to those of you that do not read the books/comics.

Karl2177

I have some cool ideas for a GAF tournament and would like to gauge interest. Here is a poll.

HaloGAF has attempted a league, as well as having multiple tournaments. The league failed after 2 weeks and the latest tournament took close to half a year to complete due to scheduling conflicts. If a tournament were to happen, there have to be a bunch of restrictions to ensure that teams compete on time and the thing actually gets finished.

It's not actually.

1. It is not the same Covies (Kilo 5 Trilogy)

2. Halo 4 literally starts off where we last saw Cortana and Master Chief.

I will say that it isn't explained all that much to those of you that do not read the books/comics.

I can't wait to see that scene in 1080p60. When I first saw it on Xbox 360, it looked incredible.

HaloGAF has attempted a league, as well as having multiple tournaments. The league failed after 2 weeks and the latest tournament took close to half a year to complete due to scheduling conflicts. If a tournament were to happen, there have to be a bunch of restrictions to ensure that teams compete on time and the thing actually gets finished.

Oh yeah, definitely. This is going to be super scheduled / ruled down if it happens so it can run in a timely manner. I also will need a few other people to help coordinate and run it with me.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Not sure if he still wants to but kittens was thinking of some solid tourney ideas a while back. Basically the total opposite of how I did it, haha.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
pretty sure the 4 games in one already has, unless you want to count The Orange Box.

I don't need Reach or ODST again. I'm sure never playing Reach again, and ODST was great but I already 100% it and there's no matchmaking.

I would still like Reach and ODST to eventually be included in the unified UI -- Firefight and just campaign in general would just be fun to go through again. I also want Halo Wars as well -- all Halo games being operated under the single unified UI would be amazing.

Picture it launching from Halo 5's disc as long as MCC is installed. High unlikely due to DRM though. It would be a fantastic evolution of Waypoint. If Microsoft had planned ahead better that could have been a selling point for all-digital games.

Yeah, it's highly unlikely, but it would be amazing. Waypoint could definitely be a tool used to achieve it, and it would be awesome if Waypoint got redesigned more to work similar to Bungie.net did during the Halo days as well.

There was a pretty slick unified UI in the Sonic Gems Collection.

Yeah, I'm sure it's been done before, but I meant as far as more games being added to the unified UI as games are made (or games are remade). If that were to happen, then it would make Halo games really easy to access and I wouldn't see myself ever not playing a Halo game in some form.

Subsequent games should have their own UI. I don't want to see the same old, outdated UI with new releases. There's always improvements to be made.

It's not like the single, unified UI couldn't be improved over time either. In fact, with new games new features and functions could be added. Theoretically, it might make remade maps easier to do with newer games -- they could also maybe find new ways to keep the community in tact rather than splintered by maps too using it (for instance, maybe if you own the MCC and there is a Halo 3 map remade for Halo 6, then the system knows you own the MCC so maybe it gives you the remade map to use in Halo 6 which would incentivise people to buy the MCC).

What makes you think Foundation is in?
You see, we know one of the final two maps will be Lockout, and that makes 3 small maps and 2 bigs, so logically the final map will be big too. Foundation definitely ain't big.

i love that map. figured if i kept hope that it would come to fruition. you crushed my hope. i guess i can still play the original. they ever say if they're going to have non remastered halo 2 maps in the mp playlist?

Woorloog

Banned
i love that map. figured if i kept hope that it would come to fruition. you crushed my hope. i guess i can still play the original. they ever say if they're going to have non remastered halo 2 maps in the mp playlist?

All original Halo 2 maps plus all DLC plus all PC maps are there. So you get to play Foundation for sure.

Hoping for some nice footage of Halo 3/4 on XB1 at Gamescom next week. I know it won't look much different but I'm still interested, come on 343i don't let me down. Just a glimpse

RoKKeR

Hoping for some nice footage of Halo 3/4 on XB1 at Gamescom next week. I know it won't look much different but I'm still interested, come on 343i don't let me down. Just a glimpse

I'm hoping as well, but I unfortunately don't think we'll be getting stuff like this until much closer to release.

Still though, I absolutely can't wait to see Halo 3 at 60fps.

bidguy

Banned
I'm hoping as well, but I unfortunately don't think we'll be getting stuff like this until much closer to release.

Still though, I absolutely can't wait to see Halo 3 at 60fps.

im mainly interested in halo 4
it looked amazing even in 720p30fps

Karl2177

Will Campaign playlists be available for offline play? Will campaign playlists have customization options? I want to be able to put together my favorite missions like an iTunes playlist and choose to play them at random or in the order I pick.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Will Campaign playlists be available for offline play? Will campaign playlists have customization options? I want to be able to put together my favorite missions like an iTunes playlist and choose to play them at random or in the order I pick.

For now they said only 343s chosen playlist will be available. But they haven't dismissed the idea of making our own playlists. And yes I can assume you can play it offline, I mean its campaign so yeah.

What makes you think Foundation is in?
You see, we know one of the final two maps will be Lockout, and that makes 3 small maps and 2 bigs, so logically the final map will be big too. Foundation definitely ain't big.

You have your map count wrong, counting Lockout we have 1 big(Coag), 2 medium(Zanzibar, Ascension) and 1 small(Lockout).
We don't know what the 5th map is other than it has great water and it isn't a map people associate with water.

darthbob

I'm kinda hoping for a Relic remake.

Speaking of Relic, I believe that 343i stated that the Halo 2 included in the MCC is utilizing AU 3, which brings the game to v1.1. Now the reason this regards Relic is that in AU 4 a certain glitch on Relic was resolved, this glitch allowed the shore side team to use the teleporter without having activated it yet. You could jump on the unactivated teleporter and crouch and if you got it right, you'd go through anyways.

Speaking of Relic, I believe that 343i stated that the Halo 2 included in the MCC is utilizing AU 3, which brings the game to v1.1. Now the reason this regards Relic is that in AU 4 a certain glitch on Relic was resolved, this glitch allowed the shore side team to use the teleporter without having activated it yet. You could jump on the unactivated teleporter and crouch and if you got it right, you'd go through anyways.

Did they say that? I thought they said they were using the final update. I imagine it's whatever version Halo 2 Vista is based on since that is probably what they are porting from.

Woorloog

Banned
You have your map count wrong, counting Lockout we have 1 big(Coag), 2 medium(Zanzibar, Ascension) and 1 small(Lockout).
We don't know what the 5th map is other than it has great water and it isn't a map people associate with water.
I know those two are really medium maps but the former may work in BTB and the latter suits 4v4, which is arguably a small game mode as opposed to 8v8, which is big.
The problem with Zanzibar is that Last Resort is messing with my recollection though...

And... whoah. Wait. I thought we knew 5 out of 6 maps?

EDIT ok, checked the maps. So i got my map count wrong. So perhaps there will be two big, two medium and two small? I don't think Foundation will be one of them though.

darthbob

Did they say that? I thought they said they were using the final update. I imagine it's whatever version Halo 2 Vista is based on since that is probably what they are porting from.

I can't find a source at the moment, but I distinctly recall hearing '1.1 patch' somewhere...

If they are just porting from H2V then the Relic bug is a moot point.

I know those two are really medium maps but the former may work in BTB and the latter suits 4v4, which is arguably a small game mode as opposed to 8v8, which is big.
The problem with Zanzibar is that Last Resort is messing with my recollection though...

And... whoah. Wait. I thought we knew 5 out of 6 maps?

Nope, we know Ascension, Coagulation, Zanzibar and Lockout and have a hint that one of the final two maps has amazing water despite not being a map associated with water. I think it is relatively safe to say that the last two maps will be a big map and a small map with Midship probably being the safest bet for the small map.
I can't find a source at the moment, but I distinctly recall hearing '1.1 patch' somewhere...

If they are just porting from H2V then the Relic bug is a moot point.

I don't know if they are actually porting from Vista, I just said that because that would make the port job easier. Though now that I think about it, the original Xbox was X86, wasn't it?

darthbob

I don't know if they are actually porting from Vista, I just said that because that would make the port job easier. Though now that I think about it, the original Xbox was X86, wasn't it?

Well it makes sense, what with the keyboard prompts that Jeff Gerstmann noticed, and that Halo CEA was made from the PC version too.

As for the original Xbox being x86, I don't think it's so simple. The OS was a custom Windows NT with a heavily modified Pentium III CPU, the Xbox 360 again used a custom Windows NT for it's OS and used PowerPC.

Well, they have been hinting at Ivory Tower. Whether it is one of them or not, I have no idea. Just what they have said at RTX and Comic-Con, when listing off some of the most popular Halo 2 maps they mentioned Ivory Tower.

Blueblur1

As much as I like Ivory Tower, I hope they pick another map. I think Ascension and Lockout fit the small map roles so I expect the last 2 maps to be a mid-sized and a large map.

As much as I like Ivory Tower, I hope they pick another map. I think Ascension and Lockout fit the small map roles so I expect the last 2 maps to be a mid-sized and a large map.

There are so many community favorites, a Midship remake wouldn't surprise me either. Although Halo 3 sort of already did a remake of that map.

Edit: I could also see them re-doing Burial Mounds.

I just want Terminal.

Terminal would be pretty sweet.

That said, my money's on Midship and Waterworks being the two unconfirmed maps, with Midship being the one at Gamescom. Waterworks fits the hint, and Midship is the logical choice for the 4v4 tourney they're doing at Gamescom.

There are so many community favorites, a Midship remake wouldn't surprise me either. Although Halo 3 sort of already did a remake of that map.

Edit: I could also see them re-doing Burial Mounds.

Burial Mounds and Colossus are my hopes, though I'm expecting both remaining maps to be ones that have already been redone to death in subsequent releases already :(

hwalker84

I didn't like in Halo 4 how the UNSC treated Masterchief with less respect then past games. It seemed they didn't even care that the last Spartan who saved humanity was actually still alive.

At the start and end of Forward Unto Dawn, it seemed they cared, as Lasky was listening to Cortana's signal multiple times, and the radios were blaring about Masterchief being alive and stuff in the background. Then in the full game, I don't even believe they mention Chief being gone. Literally the first line the UNSC say to chief, is Palmers brilliant line of "I'd thought you'd be taller." srsly yo?

But yes, to an extent, It is basically like Halo 3 never happened in Halo 4.

That was the biggest letdown in any Halo game every. Dropped the ball doesn't even come close to describing what 343 did.

antigoon

I can't imagine why they would ever re-do Foundation. It was a pretty bad map unless you were playing some sort of custom game type.

My dream dark horse candidate is Waterworks. During a long night of online play on release day, it was during a BTB match on Waterworks where, during a death, I remember thinking to myself what an amazing game Halo 2 was, and how in awe I was of everything I had experienced that night.

DJ Gunner

My money is on Sanctuary for the "water" map. It's right up there with Lockout and Midship in competitive regard, and it's never had a true remake (Forge World doesn't count)

Zoolader

Yes, from 5 degrees on up to a whopping 45.

huh

dylan.gif

Tier 5 represent.

My money is on Sanctuary for the "water" map. It's right up there with Lockout and Midship in competitive regard, and it's never had a true remake (Forge World doesn't count)
It's true that it's never had a true remake, but it's so easy to make in forge that it's been in every successive halo game after 2. Personally, I'm really hoping they go for something different. Anything new would be welcome. Terminal would be fantastic and I've already expressed my love for Colossus.

FyreWulff

Failing to complete tournaments at another forum became such a running joke that I think we got up to something like "Sixth Inaugural Halo Tournament"

There was a decent Sanctuary forge remake in Halo 3?
Decent? No. Was there forge remakes of it? Yes. I'm not saying it's a bad map or wouldn't be nice as a remake, but I'm burned out on it, personally. It was heavily used in playlists during Reach and remade again in Halo 4. I would be more partial to a different map being remade, because you can be sure that the 6 maps redone for Halo 2A will be used heavily in playlists. Sanctuary remake? More like No-thank-uary lol. Due it's ongoing popularity, it wouldn't surprise me if it was one of the remakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom