• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

The point I'm trying to make is that by not remaking all classic maps in the h2a engine. It's arguably pushing the issue that on a competitive playlist, h2a remake maps may well not appear in the playlist at all. Which in turn might put a lower ceiling on introducing newcomers to the classic halo 2 4v4 gametypes and maps. Maybe I'm being a little cynical thinking that people new to halo (in its original pre-reach form) won't fall in love with what I'm assuming will be something identical looking to halo 2 vista. But one would assume that it would impact the conversion rate.

Obviously I'm in a position where I have no idea how playlists will be implemented. I also live in a fantasy world where one of MCC main objectives is to slowly ingratiate the newer generation of shooter fans into the glorious depths of vanilla old school halo. A lubrication period if you will...before Halo 5 drops bombs and tells the new generation whats up and that Halo is truly back.

Why would the MLG community care about Midship being available in Anniversary?

They wanted the original maps, in the original engine

They'll be getting the maps in the original engine

Midship would have been a waste to upgrade to the engine as there's no real forging to be had on it and doesn't have enough room for most of the Megalo gametypes.

Why would the MLG community care about Midship being available in Anniversary?

They wanted the original maps, in the original engine

They'll be getting the maps in the original engine

Midship would have been a waste to upgrade to the engine as there's no real forging to be had on it and doesn't have enough room for most of the Megalo gametypes.

I wasn't explicitly talking about the "mlg" scene. Also that's not exactly a huge scene these days. I assume the competitive scene would ideally like to grow.

I'm not complaining, just curious to see how it plays out.

wwm0nkey

Don't know if it will be released. Kind of hard to contextualize without doing a big show and tell with loads of caveats and explanations.
Halo 2 has been seen in 60 FPS @ 1080P before due to the PC version but never for Halo 3.

Doesn't need to be contextualized, just put it up on gamersyde and let us bask in the glory.

So Dan on the Xbox stream said they made tweaks to the lighting and shaders in Halo 3 and 4 to make them look nicer. I can't wait to see how the changes they made affect the visuals.

Were there any other details about this? Because that is great news.

Nope all he said was that while they didn't give them the Anniversary treatment they did up the resolution and frame rate(which we already knew) and tweaked the lighting and shaders to make them look better. I'll go grab the video and give you the time frame so you hear the exact quote.

JackHerer

So Dan on the Xbox stream said they made tweaks to the lighting and shaders in Halo 3 and 4 to make them look nicer. I can't wait to see how the changes they made affect the visuals.

Great news. Can't wait to see Halo 3 and even 4. It would also be nice if they used higher fidelity textures as well. I'd imagine that this might be possible for Halo 4 at least.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xMNmdJ_hvI#t=5m20s
Here is where Dan said they tweaked the lighting and shaders.

Great news. Can't wait to see Halo 3 and even 4. It would also be nice if they used higher fidelity textures as well. I'd imagine that this might be possible for Halo 4 at least.

They probably don't have the higher res versions of the Halo 3 stuff but they no doubt still have the higher res Halo 4 stuff. At the very least they might use some of the cinematic models in regular gameplay for Halo 4 since that game did use different models for the cutscenes.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Two Brand New Full Match gameplays. GET HYPE!

Halo 2 Anniversary Gameplay - Sanctuary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTptJT4binY

Halo 2 Anniversary Gameplay - Ascension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2qG2F9K-5E

I didn't really realize it until I really started thinking about it -- but sprint was a horrible, horrible addition to Halo 4. It really is something else when no one can sprint and the gameplay becomes very slow paced and thought out. I really hope sprint is not in Halo 5.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Don't know if it will be released. Kind of hard to contextualize without doing a big show and tell with loads of caveats and explanations.

Any idea when we can expect though? You guys should have made a trailer from compilation of all 4 games and showed it at Gamescom MS conference. Missed opportunity IMO.

5d2e146d26badfea4e6ef388b18462d56322c0cadc13bee8323c4d0cd9f7372a.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Please oh please Frankie. At least release it to us. We understand that it isn't final. PWEASE!!!!

Also throw me into the I hope we can preload this camp.

Chitown B

The areas they opened up hurt gameplay, i.e. Camp Froman and the interior of the base. Wiping out the pillars and ramps inside the base killed flag and assault games (don't even get me started on the changes to Assault in Halo 3; they also had an open box inside which players were able to flip over onto the flag/bomb spot with a Brute Shot, yay!).

The catwalk between Froman and the base also allowed Snipers to control that entire side of the map with ease.

Disagree. I loved Froman and the interior was good for obj. I'm sure I played at least 700 games on that map.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Frankie, on behalf of all Halo fans, please prioritize footage of Halo 4 BTB Swat on Settler in 60 FPS / 1080p. Thank you.

Leyasu

Banned
I didn't really realize it until I really started thinking about it -- but sprint was a horrible, horrible addition to Halo 4. It really is something else when no one can sprint and the gameplay becomes very slow paced and thought out. I really hope sprint is not in Halo 5.

When you put it like that it is hard to argue... But being a fan of sprint, means that I do want to see it as well.

AlStrong

Think I prefer the Halo 3 SMG sound effect than the H2A MP version. It sounds overdone for such a small thing now.

Plasma rifle sounds weird too. Don't see why they really needed to change it like that. The banshee plasma sounds fine.

---

Oh, the shiny plasma pistol & cov carbine have a nice specular, or at least not aliased. :p

edit: H2A MP

Michael-Scott-What-reaction-gifrific.gif

I kid I kid :)

I find the plasma rifle kind of annoying to use, weaker then it should be, the red version felt better due to the increased fire rate.

Maybe I am still sour over the pointless repeater in reach, you would do better throwing stones then using that.

something something this one's containment and this one's great journey are the same

darthbob

I'm interested to see what this tweaked or reworked lighting is for halo 3, all I expect from it is bloom+

My guess is that it has to do with the HDR rendering technique that Bungie used.

They opted for a two-pass HDR system wherein one frame buffer was used for low dynamic range and another frame buffer for high dynamic range, with a pixel count of 1152 horizontally, and 640 pixels vertically.

If 343i is indeed altering Halo 3 to render natively at 1080p then I really doubt they're using the same HDR rendering that the original build of Halo 3 used, because performance. But... I could totally be wrong too :p

No one is going to choose to spawn with plasma rifles, they are terrible in nearly every halo game and used as a backup weapon when you run out of ammo for anything else.

remove loadouts.

ah good, but will this be random in matchmaking or can we pick a playlist to avoid loadouts completely?
I would like to know this very important detail as well. Also, if loadouts are in some form in Halo 2 Anniversary, then you can be damn sure that they will be in Halo 5, which is stupid. There should never be any loadouts at all in any of the mainline Halo games. That seems like such a big mistake already. I feel like the devs shouldn't even have the word loadouts in their mind at any point during development.

Frankie, weird question.. but any chance the Jackal and Grunt models in Halo 4 will be tweaked so that they match the models in all the other games? It's going to be a weird transition otherwise.

BJcOjZB.jpg
m9mCD1T.png
hEklsTd.jpg
ZR8P3DZ.jpg

(Halo CEA, Halo 2A, Halo 3, Halo 4)

JackHerer

Frankie, weird question.. but any chance the Jackal and Grunt models in Halo 4 will be tweaked so that they match the models in all the other games? It's going to be a weird transition otherwise.

I think you know the answer to this. I wouldn't expect any significant art style changes to Halo 3 or 4.

I know they retroactively (IIRC) explained them as a separate sub-species, but its going to be weird seeing 1-3 populated strictly by one, and 4 by another. Same with the Grunts. It would be cool to see a few of the Jackals and Grunts in Halo 4 replaced with the more familiar models.

It really isn't all that important, but it would help the visual language segue between the games.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
We get the BS about about a different species, it still doesn't explain why they were used in the first place.

What about the spaz Grunts? Another species too? The list goes on.

Thankfully, 343 seems rather repentant for all the BS hubris around changing so much of Halo for the sake of it - I'm sure the sudden, sharp, and swift public backlash helped just a tiny bit.

All they need to do is kill Sarah Palmer off-screen and we're good. :)

Imagine the Halo 5 that could have been.

"Why are all the Spartans half cyborgs now with blond glowing hair?"

"They're a sub-species of Spartans you see..."

Oh, brother. If I wasn't so jelly, I'd feel sorry for the unlucky ones at 343 that get stuck with the grim task of fleshing out all these canon differences.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
For the record... "return to battlefield" is up there with QTEs in amateur game design

If i see that once while playing Halo 2 A final, i will never vote nor play Halo 2 Anniversary maps. Just awful stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom