• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibbles

Did any of the halos in this collection run at 60fps (console versions)? The last halo I played was 3 and I feel like that was 30fps, but it was around launch so it's been a while and I could be wrong.

If that was the case that they all ran at 30, the 60fps upgrade may be the biggest differentiation for me.

They were all 30fps on console, yeah.

Eoin

But there's like one hundred maps right?? And weapons spawn? Do I have a regular loadout?
I wouldn't stress over it, you can play without knowing where the rocket launcher or sniper spawn on each map.. You won't be able to compete with people that play at a high level until you learn the maps and weapon spawns, but matchmaking should match you up with people of a similar level, so you will still be able to compete and enjoy yourself.

Halo 1-3 spawn everyone with a set two weapons each game, Halo 4 lets you customize this, but it's still always utility weapons like the BR, Smg, pistol ect. The power weapons like the Rocket launcher or Sniper are placed at certain points on the map and spawn in a set intervals.

Chitown B

I wouldn't stress over it, you can play without knowing where the rocket launcher or sniper spawn on each map.. You won't be able to compete with people that play at a high level until you learn the maps and weapon spawns, but matchmaking should match you up with people of a similar level, so you will still be able to compete and enjoy yourself.

Halo 1-3 spawn everyone with a set two weapons each game, Halo 4 lets you customize this, but it's still always utility weapons like the BR, Smg, pistol ect. The power weapons like the Rocket launcher or Sniper are placed at certain points on the map and spawn in a set intervals.

Maybe after a month or so. Everyone starts at zero for these, so at first it won't be split up correctly with skill.

The one thing I'm worried about is the userbase being split between the 4 games + Anniversary multiplayer. Also I hope the playlists are good. 343's playlist management for Reach and 4 have been poor imo so I hope they improve on that.

That is another thing I was wondering about. I really really hope Co op / Spartan ops is on dedicated servers as well. Its such a mood kill when playing co op and my inputs are lagging by a whole second -.- I don't understand why halo's co op is so lagy but a game like gears with all that crazy detail & graphics isn't.

CEA was by far the worst offender when it came to the input lag issue in co op. Even offline by yourself the remastered graphics side of CEA had slight input lag and that doesn't make any sense to me. Was the graphical overlay causing that kind of issue? When I switched back to classic graphics when playing offline there was no input lag at all.

That is another thing I was wondering about. I really really hope Co op / Spartan ops is on dedicated servers as well. Its such a mood kill when playing co op and my inputs are lagging by a whole second -.- I don't understand why halo's co op is so lagy but a game like gears with all that crazy detail & graphics isn't.

CEA was by far the worst offender when it came to the input lag issue in co op. Even offline by yourself the remastered graphics side of CEA had slight input lag and that doesn't make any sense to me. Was the graphical overlay causing that kind of issue? When I switched back to classic graphics when playing offline there was no input lag at all.

Playing with classic graphics off host online works well too.

Playing with classic graphics off host online works well too.

Yes that's what I had to do eventually but the input lag is still there even with classic graphics co op and it bugs me a lot.. I feel like that shouldn't be happening. Maybe bungie made half baked co op way back then and its just been carried forward since there wasn't time to update or make an overhauled co op code.

Magni

If I buy the game directly from you Microsoft, I expect everything. I'm not going to buy the game at half a dozen retailers to get all the skulls. If there is no way to get the Piñata/Grunt Funeral/etc skull without preordering from whatever retailer, then that is a stupid decision and whoever signed off on it should be ashamed of themselves.

I can understand giving away early access to retailers (as in, you need to find the skull to use it if you didn't preorder from X/Y/Z), but that's it.

Are those skulls exclusives or just early unlocks? Someone please tell me I can put my pitchfork down :)

Another option would be

Social Playlists = join in progress
Ranked Playlists = no join in progress

Please don't kill it 343. I hate empty games!!!

I think this has something to do with how the game works.

Everyone votes on a map, then that particular, game, engine, map, etc all load for everyone.

Maybe thats somehow holding it back for some reason idk,

Wubbys

No join in progress praise be to 343 finally they are learning. Although like a user above posted I don't mind it for social matchmaking.

Whats wrong with join in progress anyway?

JIP, for me, ruined the rhythm of Halo matches. Instead of two teams, it seemed like two forces battling it out, and I don't like joining in the middle of a match. And a lot of the times I joined games on the losing team.
Tashi just beat me 60-40 on an unannounced but obvious swat map in h2a. But he was shooting afks.
Obviously it's Gemini.

(Expected) Pixels.

ro1GRDI.png

Ouch..

EvB

Is Clan Support making a comeback for Halo 2 anniversary?

A dedicated clan app for all future Xbox One games would be nice

Madness

I don't get that though. What's wrong with remaking the good maps like Midship, Lockout etc. I mean obviously they're loved because of how well they're designed and how well they play. Even if they're in another game, the point being they wouldn't be in this one. Now I know you can't keep living in the past, but does it matter if the map was remade in another game before?

Look at Gears, they made Gridlock two more times after the first and it was always one of the most popular maps. Hell I wouldn't mind if they have a ton of remakes for Halo 5. I'd rather play new Halo 5 on remade maps like Midship, Lockout, the Pit, etc. Than possibly play a new map designed by guys who made Complex and liked it and thought it was good. Maybe I'm in the minority here.

Thanks you 343 industries for making the collection ! Really looking forward to playing Halo 2 with all the glitches / Easter eggs again, super bouncing in HD whooo !

Have they confirm if the collection of Halo 4 will content all or if any of the previous released weapon / armor skins ?

antigoon

I don't get that though. What's wrong with remaking the good maps like Midship, Lockout etc. I mean obviously they're loved because of how well they're designed and how well they play. Even if they're in another game, the point being they wouldn't be in this one. Now I know you can't keep living in the past, but does it matter if the map was remade in another game before?

Look at Gears, they made Gridlock two more times after the first and it was always one of the most popular maps. Hell I wouldn't mind if they have a ton of remakes for Halo 5. I'd rather play new Halo 5 on remade maps like Midship, Lockout, the Pit, etc. Than possibly play a new map designed by guys who made Complex and liked it and thought it was good. Maybe I'm in the minority here.

Agreed 100%.

Besides, people keep bringing up the fact that Lockout was remade already, disregarding the fact that Blackout was a hideous abomination and played like garbage.

Solidsoul

Banned
Agreed 100%.

Besides, people keep bringing up the fact that Lockout was remade already, disregarding the fact that Blackout was a hideous abomination and played like garbage.

I have a question, and I'm being completely serious.

I've heard that complaint before, but aside from aesthetics how is blackout at all different from Lockout?

FyreWulff

Halo co-op has used lockstep networking. Gears co-op is some sort of async model, but that was because the Unreal engine had bots over async for almost a decade at that point, so it wasn't much for Epic to just do AI over async.

I don't think any of these games will not be using their original lockstep networking, and I feel 100% that Halo 2's co-op will be lockstep as well. It's just a matter of development time and keeping the original game 1:1.

Love how people who don't care about ranks dismiss it as "e-peen" as opposed to a measurement of skill between players. I don't mean to be abrasive so don't take it like that please. But ranks are more than just bragging to a bunch of people that you're a general blah blah. It let's you know how good you are relative to the other players in a game. The ranks in Reach and Halo 4 told me jackshit aside from these guys either played the game a lot and still suck, or these guys didn't play a lot and yet are good.

I wouldn't even say I'm good anymore. But I liked knowing how good I was. What my "skill" level was at, whether it was improving, what others were at. Ranks are more than just about being "fun" but giving folks something to do, to look forward to, to continually get ranks.

The games without ranks in a sense, also had the lowest player bases and the lowest time spent playing the games. People are competitive, they want to know how they did.

And in my anecdotal experience, I've always found the guys who say ranks are useless, they aren't needed, were always the ones upset that they could barely get over 30 in a lot of playlists. I'm not saying you, but even Frankie has mentioned "e-peen" in the past, but just look at a lot of the most played games on Twitch, ranks matter.
Except that those systems were all exploited, so that the ranks lost meaning, along with the fact that they were incessantly used as a means to put others down. Reach was a better game for relegating that shit to its own bucket, and guess what, most of the supposed rank-hungry didn't care if they couldn't stroke while everyone was watching.

I'm not saying that Reach did it all right, but having a ranked/social split significantly divides the population. I'd rather have good skill matchmaking w/o visible ranks where players are encouraged to stay and win than a system that is prone to exploitation and harassment.

HTupolev

Wut. Since when have any console games employed SSAA when you play at a lower resolution than is targeted? Has that actually ever been a thing?
I thought it was fairly common on modern consoles where the system can accept a framebuffer of arbitrary resolution and scale and output it to any user-selected resolution.

I just tried messing around on my PS4. I set the console to 480p and loaded up Second Son, the aliasing was nowhere near as bad as I would have expected for 480p rendering; overall shimmering seemed comparable to 1080p mode. It pretty much looked like the 1080p game but blurrier. and as far as framerates go it was performing just like it does in 1080p mode. And I was even able to use the system menu to change the output resolution back up to 1080p while the game was loaded.

TheXbox

Except that those systems were all exploited, so that the ranks lost meaning, along with the fact that they were incessantly used as a means to put others down. Reach was a better game for relegating that shit to its own bucket, and guess what, most of the supposed rank-hungry didn't care if they couldn't stroke while everyone was watching.

I'm not saying that Reach did it all right, but having a ranked/social split significantly divides the population. I'd rather have good skill matchmaking w/o visible ranks where players are encouraged to stay and win than a system that is prone to exploitation and harassment.
Where and how did this myth of flaunting and bullying others over Halo ranks propagate? You don't hear about Dota, Starcraft, or Counter Strike players throwing a fit about that, but it seems that for some reason Halo in particular has an issue with it? I've been playing Halo for years and I can 100% honestly say I have never, never seen or witnessed anyone giving someone else shit because of their rank.
Maybe that's because in the Halo games with ranks people were put in games with similarly ranked teammates! :eek:

The ranked/social split is exactly the kind of split that services everyone. If you want ranks, play ranked. If you don't, play social. People didn't play Arena because it was a garbage playlist and the ranks were worthless. No, Bungie had this shit dialed in ten years ago. Other developers have followed in their footsteps, whereas Halo and 343 have retraced their steps and stumbled into 2007-era Call of Duty land along the way. Even CoD has skill ranks now.

The cheating rhetoric was used and abused by 343 prior to Halo 4's release as a means to excuse the lack of true skill ranks. They have since backpedaled on that, implementing half-baked 1-50 ranks on Waypoint and all signs point to the MCC having ranks similar to Halo 2. Nobody really cares about the boosters and account sellers, because if they aren't good enough they get demoted anyway.

Deception

But not having separate ranked/social playlist makes it where every game you have to try your hardest rather then being able to pick and choose when you want to play hard or just have fun. A lot of time this is why I didn't want to play Halo 4 because once you get to a certain point you play against nothing but Try-hards and it becomes not fun any more to try your absolute hardest every game.

Computron

I thought it was fairly common on modern consoles where the system can accept a framebuffer of arbitrary resolution and scale and output it to any user-selected resolution.

I just tried messing around on my PS4. I set the console to 480p and loaded up Second Son, the aliasing was nowhere near as bad as I would have expected for 480p rendering; overall shimmering seemed comparable to 1080p mode. It pretty much looked like the 1080p game but blurrier. and as far as framerates go it was performing just like it does in 1080p mode. And I was even able to use the system menu to change the output resolution back up to 1080p while the game was loaded.

Ah, maybe the 8th gen consoles do it more often.

I seem to remember Halo 3 still having no AA at 480p.

FyreWulff

Ah, maybe the 8th gen consoles do it more often.

I seem to remember Halo 3 still having no AA at 480p.

I know Lego LOTR downsamples on PS4 from some resolution about 1080p

Wait, you can set the PS4 to 480p? It's it HDMI-only?

It is HDMI only, and you can actually have devices that accept HDMI as an input but only go up to 480p.

Kind of like how it was possible to have TVs that supported Component video inputs but not progressive scan..

edit:

at first I thought I would just stick with halo 2. now I'm looking forward to playing halo 1 2 and 3. I just hope 4 doesn't get voted for too often in the mixed playlists

It is HDMI only, and you can actually have devices that accept HDMI as an input but only go up to 480p.

Kind of like how it was possible to have TVs that supported Component video inputs but not progressive scan..

edit:

Yeah I got that it's possible, I was just surprised that Sony would support that in the OS, cause it's not like you can hook it up to a non-HD TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom