• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chitown B

I can't tell you the number of times I've been called out for having "Butter Bars" or "Noob Bars" in Halo 3.

Its so stupid.

I was a staff captain most of my 4500 games. I was never able to get any trueskill above 29 in any playlist because by the time I got good I'd played so many games it just never caught up. But I wore it with pride.

HTupolev

I think they fixed the FoV for Halo CE Anniversary or maybe that was just widescreen.
Hard to say that they "fixed" anything. Most Halo games hold vertical view constant and change the horizontal view for different aspect ratios, and this is how CEA's widescreen works relative to CE's original fullscreen. It's wider, but in an "expected" way.

And personally, I'd accuse CEA of "breaking" the FoV for split-screen. The original Halo did the thing where you get to 8:3 by widening the regular 4:3 view; although an FoV of almost 110 degrees was perhaps ambitious for a super low res 240-line visual window, it's also sort of glorious. By contrast, CEA produces its two 32:9 split-screen views the same way Halo PC produces its widescreen view: it holds the horizontal view constant and reduces the vertical view. So instead of getting a glorious wide view, it feels like looking through a mail slot.

More here.

Wow, that's kinda cool. But at the same time, couldn't they have thrown that extra power on something cheaper and more effective like MSAA on a 480p framebuffer? But I guess that would be a lot more work.
But really, this method requires no additional work at all since the internal rendering stays the same (except maybe the HUD needing some redrawn bitmaps to better fit the smaller area) and the Hardware Scaler chip does everything for you.
Yeah, I think that's the idea; decoupling the game itself from the output device and settings.

I wonder what split screen does at 480p?
I looked at it a little, and I again think it doesn't change with respect to resolution settings. Vertically, I suspect it's still using 640 total lines between the two views. Horizontal res would be an interesting question, but I haven't bothered trying to count it at all yet (my eyes don't like tracking those edges on the TV screen at all). Anyone got some raw Halo 3 split-screen screenshots at decent quality, particularly ones with some long near-vertical edges?

I assume Halo 3 MCC Splitscreen will just fill the screen, and that could have a ridiculously wide FOV.
If it were expanded in the usual way, that would yield an FoV of ~109 degrees. Glorious.

antigoon

Played some Halo 3 last night after many years away. It was ...not pretty. My BR was pure trash.

Although it really did help me notice for the first time how much I prefer Bungie's aesthetic. I don't really like how all the forerunner structures have been made to be metallic and shiny in Halo 4.

KNoon

Neo Member
Bumper Jumper is glorious. I was skeptical back in the Halo 3 days but when I tried I never went back (like everybody else).
I tried it many times and absolutely hated it. It didn't feel natural at all, even after 10 or so games I still found it gave me zero benefits.

SpartanN92

Banned
I hope they block party chat from matchmaking

pls 343

Fucking terrible idea.

I pay for Xbox Live Gold. That service includes party chat. Game Developers have no right to restrict my access to core XBL features. I fucking hated it when Infinity Ward did it on MW2.

What's next? Friends List restrictions? Messaging? Where does it end?

DesertFox

Bumper Jumper is glorious. I was skeptical back in the Halo 3 days but when I tried I never went back (like everybody else).
Bumper Jumper is glorious, if the only game you play is Halo. Switching from Battlefield to Halo bumper jumper is the most awkward transition ever.

Maybe not for all of matchmaking, but I like how COD games block party chat when playing Search and Destroy. Maybe they could block it for some ranked playlists.

Something like Search and Destroy makes sense cause you can cheat the gametype with party chat, but there's nothing like in Halo currently.

Other than an exception like S&D, the idea that you should restrict a feature in order to force people to be in chat with some 16 year old who's screaming about how he's screwed everyone's mom in the game while yelling at his own mom to bring him the damn meatloaf is so amazingly bad.

Halo 3 uses separate buttons to pick up dual-wield weapons and reload when dual wielding, so ya, the controls would need to be altered to be able to use a universal button layout across all four games. That would effect gameplay slightly, for example. if you pick-up a second weapon that was low on ammo in the magazine and your first weapon was down just a few rounds, then a universal reload button would reload them both, instead of just the one.

I imagine they'd change it and make it more like Halo 2's dual wielding. Again, only if the user wants to. Universal controls were mentioned again in the latest Halo Waypoint bulletin, now only the particulars remain.

https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/en-us/blogs/headlines/posts/the-halo-bulletin-6-19-14
"Halo: The Master Chief Collection Matchmaking will not feature Join-in-Progress."
Join-in-progress solved a very real and persistent problem with Halo. I'll never understand why people demanded to get rid of it - even after hearing the arguments. Of course everybody wants a full game, from start to finish, but obviously that doesn't always happen, and having no mechanism to deal with imbalanced teams when players are dropped or leave is not a solution.

So, no join in progress even for Halo 4 multi? Thats lame.

Storm360

Join-in-progress solved a very real and persistent problem with Halo. I'll never understand why people demanded to get rid of it - even after hearing the arguments. Of course everybody wants a full game, from start to finish, but obviously that doesn't always happen, and having no mechanism to deal with imbalanced teams when players are dropped or leave is not a solution.

So, no join in progress even for Halo 4 multi? Thats lame.

The biggest problem is join in process systems have never worked well in my experience, far too many times you get lumped into a game which has no chance of being turned around.

The biggest problem is join in process systems have never worked well in my experience, far too many times you get lumped into a game which has no chance of being turned around.

This.

Join in progress works in,say, Call of Duty, cause new players only seem to join in the first two minutes of a game. Plenty of time to turn things around. Having someone join in more than halfway into a match? Pointless.

I may be misremembering, but that'd happen at most once, and once in, I'd be in subsequent matches from the beginning. If I bounced out of the hopper or switched playlists it could happen again though. I much preferred that to the alternative, but at least we both agree that it sucks to play in wildly unbalanced matches.

I know that 343 wants to keep all of the original multiplayer bits intact, but wouldn't that also include join in progress with Halo 4?

Afro

The lack of join in progress is easily the best news I've read so far.

There is absolutely zero satisfaction in winning a match in which the opposing team had 10 random unique users dropping in/out throughout the match. It simply doesn't feel like a win.

If a locked team of 4 loses against another locked team of 4 on a Midship TS from start to finish, the losing team has zero excuses. The better team won, period. However, If that same team dominated with a JIP system in place, the opposing team can simply spout some BS like, "well, we had 10 different unique teammates throughout the match so your win means nothing".

Locked team should be the norm in competitive shooters. If your buddy rage quit or "lost connection" in a 4v4, too bad. You still lost.

This is why I feel zero satisfaction after winning a Battlefield match. JIP is the worse thing to ever happen to competitive FPS. Totally acceptable for non-competitive shooters though.

HTupolev

There is absolutely zero satisfaction in winning a match in which the opposing team had 10 random unique users dropping in/out throughout the match. It simply doesn't feel like a win.
Yeah, that's the big thing I dislike about JIP. I agree that quitting sucks, but previous Halo games were better at making a match between two teams feel like a match between two teams.

I probably wouldn't mind the concept so much if it was part of a very aggressive match-watertightness policy. For instance, if it existed alongside a really aggressive quit ban (i.e. every quit is immediately penalized by not being able to join another game for the duration of the game you quit from), I might be a little more okay with it, because then it would be a thing that occasionally patches a hole.

As it is right now, it seems to practically "justify" quitting so that people just sort of stream in and out of games.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

If a locked team of 4 loses against another locked team of 4 on a Midship TS from start to finish, the losing team has zero excuses. The better team won, period. However, If that same team dominated with a JIP system in place, the opposing team can simply spout some BS like, "well, we had 10 different unique teammates throughout the match so your win means nothing".

Locked team should be the norm in competitive shooters. If your buddy rage quit or "lost connection" in a 4v4, too bad. You still lost.

This is why I feel zero satisfaction after winning a Battlefield match. JIP is the worse thing to ever happen to competitive FPS. Totally acceptable for non-competitive shooters though.

i dunno. while i get what you are saying, i not so fondly remember playing many non-join-in-progress matches on a team of 4 vs 2 or 1. nothing was less fun then waiting the time limit out in a halo match looking for one lone player to kill, bless his heart for not want to quit (dat halo honor doe). i take it back, being that lone player was worse. especially if you had the misfortune of it happening back to back.

And how is that less of a win than your team rolling over a half-manned enemy team?

At least join in progress gives them a chance, and even without a chance, allows them to have some fun without being steamrolled for the duration.

As it is right now, it seems to practically "justify" quitting so that people just sort of stream in and out of games.
That's going to happen anyway.

Havoc2049

Ya, but there is also no satisfaction in wining a match where you out number the other team because they had players drop out or lost their connection. I was in a 4 vs 4 match in Halo 3 the other day and I started out 10-0 and my team was rolling and then three of the opposing players dropped out about a quarter of the way through the match. I ended the match 12-3, because trying to find one dude camping (which I don't blame him) is tedious and boring. It became a match of watching the clock and running around trying to find someone to kill.

Edit: A bunch of people already posted my sentiments on the pros of JIP.

HTupolev

That's going to happen anyway.
Yeah, but it feels like it happens worse in systems where people feel like they're doing less wrong by quitting.

Which is why my overall opinion on the matter is that we'd all be better off if they put extremely harsh quit bans in place. Personally, I think even things like quitting a game to join a party of friends is something the system should aggressively discourage.

Toa TAK

Banned

I tried to go Bumper Jumper during the era of Halo 3, but it just wasn't for me. =(

I prefer to use the default settings where B is melee and A is jump!

bidaum

Maybe a little off-topic, but is there one person that names stuff in the Halo universe? All the naming in Halo sounds so good; Forward Unto Dawn, Pillar of Autumn, The Covenant, etc...

Chitown B

^this

There's no sense of "team". It's all a solo affair.

I hope Halo 3 MCC has something done about that FOV, it would awesome to be able to play it at the splitscreen FOV:

ibiUP1ti01n3xM.gif

Man I would love it if they fixed the FOV in Halo 3.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Bumper Jumper is glorious, if the only game you play is Halo. Switching from Battlefield to Halo bumper jumper is the most awkward transition ever.

I've never had a problem bouncing from Halo to BF3 to CoD.

Now, going from Halo 3/Reach to Halo 2 on XBC, that's a whole different story.

I was a staff captain most of my 4500 games. I was never able to get any trueskill above 29 in any playlist because by the time I got good I'd played so many games it just never caught up. But I wore it with pride.

Man, I still hate hearing this rhetoric.

If you were good enough, you would have ranked up.

I've played 3500+ ranked games, at least 2900 of which were on dial-up where a 2 red bar connection with less than a minute in black screen was considered a good host and managed to get around lvl 40-44 in most playlists eventually getting that force colonel. Yup, them 3 stars and butter bars. When I finally was able to get a better connection (only a 3G connection but infinitely better than dial-up) and made some new friends, it didn't even take 50 games of Team Slayer or dubs to get to 50 without any form of boosting.

In 99.9% of cases, claims of "rank lock" were completely bogus. The only real case was a European team who played something like 200+ games of team slayer winning every single one and only getting up to level 16 or 19 or something to that effect.

I've never had a problem bouncing from Halo to BF3 to CoD.

Now, going from Halo 3/Reach to Halo 2 on XBC, that's a whole different story.

Man, I still hate hearing this rhetoric.

If you were good enough, you would have ranked up.

I've played 3500+ ranked games, at least 2900 of which were on dial-up where a 2 red bar connection with less than a minute in black screen was considered a good host and managed to get around lvl 40-44 in most playlists eventually getting that force colonel. Yup, them 3 stars and butter bars. When I finally was able to get a better connection (only a 3G connection but infinitely better than dial-up) and made some new friends, it didn't even take 50 games of Team Slayer or dubs to get to 50 without any form of boosting.

In 99.9% of cases, claims of "rank lock" were completely bogus. The only real case was a European team who played something like 200+ games of team slayer winning every single one and only getting up to level 16 or 19 or something to that effect.

I got rank locked at 35 and I know that for a fact because I made a second account and got to 43 in two days. The Halo 3 ranking system was flawed.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I got rank locked at 35 and I know that for a fact because I made a second account and got to 43 in two days. The Halo 3 ranking system was flawed.

So you used the uncertainty of a new account to achieve a slightly higher rank than you otherwise would have been able to, congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom