• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

TheOddOne

Oh, get an Xbone? Just get an Xbone? Why don't I strap on my Xbone helmet and squeeze down into an Xbone cannon and fire off into Xbone land, where Xbones grow on Xbonies!
tumblr_mg1cdjbqOR1rqtk1zo1_500.png

Akai__

Oh man, Legendary and Scarab skull is a recipe for disaster. I proved that.

You will end up killing yourself a lot it seems. Got to be careful with that skull, but it should be much easier to do those speedruns and LASO achievements with it.

gAg CruSh3r

Oh, get an Xbone? Just get an Xbone? Why don't I strap on my Xbone helmet and squeeze down into an Xbone cannon and fire off into Xbone land, where Xbones grow on Xbonies!

But it's greener on the Xbone side.

Oh don't worry. He too will join the dark side. MCC's call is too strong. Even the strongest will give into it. muahahahahaha

When he joins the dark side it will be a glorious day and we will become a more unified HaloGAF.

I like the Xbone.

UI is a bit slow, but the features are getting better with each monthly update.

Smartglass is also nice.

How the hell did I turn into an Xbox apologist?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
There's gonna be a ton of customs games running the weekend MCC comes out.

Having some way of tracking them all, maybe splitting them up into type would be a good idea?

Like folks only playing Halo CE maps, Halo 3, H2A, BTB, etc.

MaGlock

There's gonna be a ton of customs games running the weekend MCC comes out.

Having some way of tracking them all, maybe splitting them up into type would be a good idea?

Like folks only playing Halo CE maps, Halo 3, H2A, BTB, etc.

Maybe a thread Is in order? Sort of like the raid/nightfall thread but a custom games thread.

Madness

Maybe a thread Is in order? Sort of like the raid/nightfall thread but a custom games thread.

There will be too many threads. We'll have this, the MCC thread, soon a Halo 5 beta thread, and I think someone has already created a LAN/Customs thread. Honestly, shouldn't be too hard finding Customs going on though.

MaGlock

There will be too many threads. We'll have this, the MCC thread, soon a Halo 5 beta thread, and I think someone has already created a LAN/Customs thread. Honestly, shouldn't be too hard finding Customs going on though.

Yeah I'm sure this thread will be blowing up when MCC releases I'm sure there will be a ton of people searching for customs

klodeckel

Banned
Finally watched the documentary. Wow. I'm still speechless to be honest. The amount of work and effort there is just ... Outstanding. The documentary really remembers you that it's not about "343", "Blur", or "Certain Affinity" - it's about all the people developing this. You can literally feel the passion they put into this project.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Don't forget there will be a large amount of casual players from GAF picking up MCC and wanting to play with HaloGAF (and there's always a bunch of lurkers too). Might only see these folks once or twice, but they will be out in force come release and for the first few weekends. Some of them probably haven't played Halo in years.

Nowise10

Watching gravemind on legendary with the scarab skull on, it really doesn't make it much easier, in fact it makes some parts a lot harder.

I wouldn't care if they left achievements on for it, I probably won't even use it.

Even if so, their are still 30 other party skulls being added, a lot which we don't even know yet. The ones we do, half provide an advantage. Bandana gives Infinite ammo. Another one makes all enemies that die, drop a live plasma grenade. Another skull replaces Masterchiefs flashlight with Active Camo. Another gives 100% damage boost if your teammate dies. I honestly won't be surprised if their is a skull that gives you overshields, or makes you invincible when we get the full list out.

They need to disable achievements and speedruns when using nonscoring skulls, if they know whats right for the game.

Even if so, their are still 30 other party skulls being added, a lot which we don't even know yet. The ones we do, half provide an advantage. Bandana gives Infinite ammo. Another one makes all enemies that die, drop a live plasma grenade. Another skull replaces Masterchiefs flashlight with Active Camo. Another gives 100% damage boost if your teammate dies. I honestly won't be surprised if their is a skull that gives you overshields, or makes you invincible when we get the full list out.

They need to disable achievements and speedruns when using nonscoring skulls, if they know whats right for the game.
I thought achievements were disabled once you start a level with those types of skills on? I know they didn't do that for Halo CEA. A lot of people were doing the legendary achievements easily because of the infinite ammo skull. The scarab gun, infinite ammo and camo skull are going to make the legendary playthrough a breeze for the achievements if they don't disable that.

Madness

Yeah I'm sure this thread will be blowing up when MCC releases I'm sure there will be a ton of people searching for customs

Yeah, plus Kittens is going to run a tournament as well. Things like dedicated servers will help so much as well. This game seems like it's going to revitalize almost every community for Halo. Can't wait to see what forgers do with the new forge most.

I thought achievements were disabled once you start a level with those types of skills on? I know they didn't do that for Halo CEA. A lot of people were doing the legendary achievements easily because of the infinite ammo skull. The scarab gun, infinite ammo and camo skull are going to make the legendary playthrough a breeze for the achievements if they don't disable that.

Hey, you stole my helmet avatar from the request thread. Lol, you just reversed it.

I like the Xbone.

Smartglass is also nice.

UI really is slow, and they need to fix that. After making such a big deal out of snapped apps and the like, having to wait so long for them to pop up is annoying.

I always have Smartglass open on my computer now. Typing messages with a controller is so 2005. Just wish I could send party invites and game invites from the app.

MouldyK

For all you Non-Radar fans out there: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-01-its-time-to-tear-up-the-mini-map

The problem's not exclusive to open world games, either. The other night I stumbled into one of Battlefield 4's hardcore servers, where the mini-map is completely excised, and was impressed by how much better the experience was. That one edit means you're instantly more alert, more engaged and more immersed - a state which most games strive so hard for.

They're adding 30 skulls? And I thought the camo one was already in the game originally?

Madness

A lot of the comments are telling. "I don't have the patience to learn areas anymore", "why would I play without it, it's too hard" etc. It's basically become a crutch for them and it's hard to function without it. So when you put them in a situation without it, just like a bunch of Halo players, they'll freak out initially because they have nothing to rely on anymore.

Once you actually play several matches without motion tracker, you see just how important learning the maps/routes, communicating with your team, and being alert is. That all being said, far be it for me to tell someone how to play, so more power to those who need radar to play.

MouldyK

A lot of the comments are telling. "I don't have the patience to learn areas anymore", "why would I play without it, it's too hard" etc. It's basically become a crutch for them and it's hard to function without it. So when you put them in a situation without it, just like a bunch of Halo players, they'll freak out initially because they have nothing to rely on anymore.

Once you actually play several matches without motion tracker, you see just how important learning the maps/routes, communicating with your team, and being alert is. That all being said, far be it for me to tell someone how to play, so more power to those who need radar to play.

I played Skyrim for like 200 hours on PC and Xbox 360 combined. All without any hud, fast-travelling, using a horse or waiting. If you told me to go somewhere on the game, I could probably know where I was on the map right now, the best route on how to get there and after a while, how long it would take in the game.

That was one of the best experience i've ever had with a game in recent years.

Either way, options are best.

jem0208

Wait, people are actually going to play something else?

Halo 3: Pink Snipers on Sandtrap.

I like the Xbone.

Smartglass is also nice.

Since the recent updates my X1 has been pretty speedy.

I know we've gone over this a few times but I think if radar was tweaked enough it could still work. I think reducing the range to very small and making it so you can't see relative elevation would remove pretty all the major negatives.

It would also give you an awareness of your immediate surroundings. Which with the low FoV of Halo is very, very useful.

Booshka

I played Skyrim for like 200 hours on PC and Xbox 360 combined. All without any hud, fast-travelling, using a horse or waiting. If you told me to go somewhere on the game, I could probably know where I was on the map right now, the best route on how to get there and after a while, how long it would take in the game.

That was one of the best experience i've ever had with a game in recent years.

Either way, options are best.

You should play Morrowind with the Overhaul Mod on PC. That type of playstyle is supported through the game and quest design. No waypoints and quest markers, Journal and conversations with NPCs give you directions.

Yeah, plus Kittens is going to run a tournament as well. Things like dedicated servers will help so much as well. This game seems like it's going to revitalize almost every community for Halo. Can't wait to see what forgers do with the new forge most.

Hey, you stole my helmet avatar from the request thread. Lol, you just reversed it.
Oh I did? I actually did the one I'm using myself in Photoshop lol I'll change mine to blue or something.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone with access to the game checked out the custom game options for radar? I'm hoping they added in sound based radar as an option, but maybe that's a pipe dream.

Fuchsdh

You will end up killing yourself a lot it seems. Got to be careful with that skull, but it should be much easier to do those speedruns and LASO achievements with it.

This is still predicated on not actually knowing what LASO and achievements will require/entail, but assuming the new skulls don't affect achievements AND LASO is the classic difficulty skulls of yore, Envy + judicious use of Scarab skull would probably be one of the easiest options.

Woorloog

Banned
No waypoints and quest markers, Journal and conversations with NPCs give you directions.

The only game ever where i got lost :p
Also got lost during a quest because the quest text had typo, east instead of west (or vice versa or something like it), meaning i went to wrong place...

Unfortunately this cannot be done in later Elder Scrolls games, because voiced directions would be too long and thus the games don't actually give you detailed enough information to find your object without the quest markers.

-Ryn

Banned
I've 100%'ed Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST and Reach. Don't think I'll bother with MCC. :lol

EDIT: Apparently I didn't finish the final Achievements for Reach's anniversary map pack.
Was about to mention the lack of achievements in Halo 2 when it hit me.

Nice job dude. Pretty damn impressive.

Pretty flexible really. Just got an exam in a week. I'm Australian time, but seldom awake Australian hours :p

I'm usually available/online in the hours leading up to 5am Australian time (8pm UK, 11am US West) and/or around 4pm Australian (5am UK, 10pm US West).

GT: Der Flatulator6

THE HORROR!!!

You in for ODST?
Radical mang. I don't start work for another week and a half so I am available whenever. My sleeping schedule is pretty adaptive at the moment so I'll try to get on around those times.
Just send me a message over LIVE or on here when you jump on and I will be ready to lock and load!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
They're running on dedis so your NAT doesn't matter.

It prevents me from being in Party Chat doe :(
with anyone that isn't strict

edit: The Halo Minecraft skin pack has Palmer with her helmet on. Doesn't seem right.

EvB

I'm sure you guys will know, I saw the manual mentions split screen for campaign, but there was no mentioned of split screen for multiplayer. Is that still in?

tootsi666

I got to play all campaigns earlier today and holy shit at that 60fps. It makes a huge difference when you're playing the game.

darthbob

Have you noticed any of the stuttering or frame drop issues people are pointing out in video footage?

Having gone through all the Gamersyde footage about 4 times each I'm nearly 80% convinced now that the stutters and frame drops aren't a result of the game, but from the capture process. Save for CEA, it's still a little janky I'm sure.

Having gone through all the Gamersyde footage about 4 times each I'm nearly 80% convinced now that the stutters and frame drops aren't a result of the game, but from the capture process. Save for CEA, it's still a little janky I'm sure.

Yeah I sure hope so. I really hope 343 had the sense to fix the terrible fov for split screen...

I also wish they would have fixed the texture and shadow pop in present in all games. I hate bad LOD.

King Leo

Neo Member
I just realized the Boom skull and Sputnik skull will be in the same campaign. That's nuts. Just imagine all the crazy shit people can pull off now, lol.

Top Bottom