• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

You notice the word "personally", which means it's my own opinion that I don't expect others to share? Learn to read if you're going to call people out.

Doesn't make it a good opinion...

In any case, you'd be better off not presuming to know what knowledge other people might or might not have. Just a good practice on general.

In other, less bickering, news, I just got the free DLC update for Spartan Assault on my phone. 20% more content, new achievements, and Free. This is what 343 should be doing with their flagship title, not just mobile.

Welcome
Prince_Eugene_of_Savoy.png

Wow, you've got a really good speaking voice! Couple of things:

-There were a couple of pops when you spoke. What recording software are you using?

-You had a few odd pauses between audio, even in single-take sentences. It's easy to alleviate this, even with a single statement, by just cutting out the pauses a little bit.

-The ambient music is a nice touch. I'd even raise the volume of it a little bit and compensate your voice by adding a very slight reverb.

-I'd figure out some opening jingle for your videos or at least start the music loud / a little earlier than you did in this one. I thought my headphones unplugged because the video started silent. If you want, I could even try and whip up something subtle for you!

-The font at the beginning was a little wonky down to the bumblebee colors. I'd stick to white or black if possible, and if you have to keep the outline make it a bit smaller. A nicer font would help, too! You can find them all over the place, but even GAF has had a few threads about it. Some of my favorites are Bebas Neue and Roboto, personally.

Go homeboyd.

you're a monster.

Personally while my initial response to Settler was very negative I like it a lot more now. It *is* generally a game of control the ridge, but that's not inherently bad. Since the weapon balancing the DMR doesn't pack the same punch which helps.

I disagree. Personally, I think Settler is failure of a multiplayer map because the ridge dominates the map far too much to have an interesting game on it. There are basically two ways to play that map IMO: 1) get ridge control and 2) lose.

Essentially, it's almost impossible to break a team's position if they're halfway decent and get set up on the ridge. They have great access control since the only way up is through two bottlenecked ramps or a jetpack, and either way there's a swath of cover-less open space that needs to be traversed first. Warthogs are ineffective because there's too much cover on the ridge to get kills with the turret from below, and actually driving through it is generally suicide because people will have sticky nades and plasma pistols (because Halo 4). And then there's the railgun, which unfortunately is the perfect weapon to kill people coming up from the sides. The other major power weapon is in the trench, easily covered by people on the ridge, and the ridge is big enough that an Incineration Cannon shot will only kill maybe half the people up there -if you're lucky enough to even get into a firing position. Personally.

I'm of the opinion that it's not any better with the Turbo update since it's a problem with the basic geography of the map. DMRs are still effective from the ridge to anywhere on the map anyway and now there's a more deadly Light Rifle to deal with. Basic infinity mechanics also give the team controlling the ridge access to ordnance so even though there's no sniper on the map, someone will get one sooner or later.

I think they need to add a teleport exit up there, or a covered lift, or any other viable path onto the top of the ridge itself, add some more effective cover to the ramps up to the ridge, and put the spawn points behind cover.

Thanks man. It's actually from the ship named after that dude because [long boring username origin story].

Nebula

Are you tapping the Mic or is it popping? I can't tell. If you're not tapping it somehow then I'd make wind guard or something. Sure there are plenty of DIY vids on YouTube, or you could buy one.

What microphone are you using by the way?

Oh new person! Hello, welcome to HaloGAF.

Warthogs are ineffective because there's too much cover on the ridge to get kills with the turret from below, and actually driving through it is generally suicide because people will have sticky nades and plasma pistols (because Halo 4).

I like you already.

daedalius

I disagree. Personally, I think Settler is failure of a multiplayer map because the ridge dominates the map far too much to have an interesting game on it. There are basically two ways to play that map IMO: 1) get ridge control and 2) lose.

Essentially, it's almost impossible to break a team's position if they're halfway decent and get set up on the ridge. They have great access control since the only way up is through two bottlenecked ramps or a jetpack, and either way there's a swath of cover-less open space that needs to be traversed first. Warthogs are ineffective because there's too much cover on the ridge to get kills with the turret from below, and actually driving through it is generally suicide because people will have sticky nades and plasma pistols (because Halo 4). And then there's the railgun, which unfortunately is the perfect weapon to kill people coming up from the sides. The other major power weapon is in the trench, easily covered by people on the ridge, and the ridge is big enough that an Incineration Cannon shot will only kill maybe half the people up there -if you're lucky enough to even get into a firing position. Personally.

I'm of the opinion that it's not any better with the Turbo update since it's a problem with the basic geography of the map. DMRs are still effective from the ridge to anywhere on the map anyway and now there's a more deadly Light Rifle to deal with. Basic infinity mechanics also give the team controlling the ridge access to ordnance so even though there's no sniper on the map, someone will get one sooner or later.

I think they need to add a teleport exit up there, or a covered lift, or any other viable path onto the top of the ridge itself, add some more effective cover to the ramps up to the ridge, and put the spawn points behind cover.

Thanks man. It's actually from the ship named after that dude because [long boring username origin story].

HOLY SHIT ITS MARK

Nowise10

Also watching that silly video made me wish that Spartans in Halo 4 looked more like Masterchief( detail, colors,). To me he looks really good and believable, then we have the Spartan IV's in Multiplayer and the armor and visors they have looks like they are made of crayons.

Of couse I'm going to find and use the picture that shows the crayolas the most, as its not always that bad, but that is besides the point.

Also watching that silly video made me wish that Spartans in Halo 4 looked more like Masterchief( detail, colors,). To me he looks really good and believable, then we have the Spartan IV's in Multiplayer and the armor and visors they have looks like they are made of crayons.

Of couse I'm going to find and use the picture that shows the crayolas the most, as its not always that bad, but that is besides the point.

They actually use a higher-poly model for Chief in cutscenes, which is part of the reason why he looks so much more "cinematic."

I think Roosterteeth put that video out at a point when theater wasn't displaying certain levels of dynamic lighting in multiplayer, too, which doesn't help.

The default blue and red color looks like I am using a plastic robot from the street market.

The new dlc ones are worst in textures.

...Well I would LOVE Halo 5 to look like that. It looks incredibly nice.

But here are some more real examples then.

Crayola
If I'm not mistakened, starting from Halo 2-4, Master Chief has had his own custom color for his unique armor than the "Crayola" colored spartans.

Hey 343 you needa hire them!

xxjuicesxx - Lead Multiplayer Designer

BigShow - Assistant Lead Multiplayer Designer

Kylej - DongBlainer of BKs and CEO of 343i

Jellycrackers - Cinematic Composer

Wahrer - Lead Animator & Concept Artist

Devo - CG Actress & Voice Actress (Sarah Palmer)

Heckfu & Ellis - Halo Fifa Beardfu Saga

Frankie - HamishBemish - Space Janitors Live Action TV Series

Vico

So, I was watching the trailer for the Halo 4 Global Championship finals event on Xbox Live, and they say they'll have "World premiere xbox one content" during the stream.
It's not like they make a big deal about it, but they do have Major Nelson hosting the thing, so maybe it's worth talking about it.

In between rounds, the broadcast will feature several Xbox One exclusives, Rooster Teeth shorts, musical acts and more.

I know, it's probably nothing, but I might watch it, then.

Frankie - HamishBemish - Space Janitors Live Action TV Series

The only one that truly counts.

If I'm not mistakened, starting from Halo 2-4, Master Chief has had his own custom color for his unique armor than the "Crayola" colored spartans.
Correct.

I'm guessing that Bungie/343 don't want bk's running around saying "Hayyyyy guyzzz I'm dah mastuh chef"

I personally thought that having the armor and color in multiplayer might help people with machinimas, but it seems to me that there is less and less support for that community with each consecutive game.

What did Reach fail to do for machinima that Halo 2 and 3 didn't?

It reduced customization for Elites, and you could only play on certain game types, it didn't mess up things too bad, but it just made things more complicated. Same with Halo 2 to Halo 3, with not being able to lower your weapon over Live (Yes i know it lead to being exploited, which was the case for most of Halo 2, I'll leave it to you guys to decide whether the tricks helped or hindered the gameplay.), they ended up fixing most of the other exploits, which i imagine could be the case for lowering weapons (Fyre probably knows if this is feasable or not).

But nothing destroyed the potential for Halo Machinima than Halo 4, with getting rid of Firefight, Campaign/Spartan Ops theater, and elites in matchmaking. What a large group of features being dropped shocks me sometimes.

Mix

Wow, you've got a really good speaking voice! Couple of things:

-There were a couple of pops when you spoke. What recording software are you using?

-You had a few odd pauses between audio, even in single-take sentences. It's easy to alleviate this, even with a single statement, by just cutting out the pauses a little bit.

-The ambient music is a nice touch. I'd even raise the volume of it a little bit and compensate your voice by adding a very slight reverb.

-I'd figure out some opening jingle for your videos or at least start the music loud / a little earlier than you did in this one. I thought my headphones unplugged because the video started silent. If you want, I could even try and whip up something subtle for you!

-The font at the beginning was a little wonky down to the bumblebee colors. I'd stick to white or black if possible, and if you have to keep the outline make it a bit smaller. A nicer font would help, too! You can find them all over the place, but even GAF has had a few threads about it. Some of my favorites are Bebas Neue and Roboto, personally.

you're a monster.

Thanks for the feedback! I actually am using a cheap 15 dollar Mic and Windows Movie Maker. The mic cord will bump the bottom of the mic and make it pop so I am sorry for that. None of that was actually written except for what big points (Multiplayer/strikes, loot, locations, etc.) and if I could get someone to animate an intro for me I would seriously appreciate it.

Tawpgun

Infinity slayer getting 3 voting options

Infinity Garbo
Team Slayer (Basically infinity slayer with no personal ordnance)
Legendary BR's

Hype. First good matchmaking decision in forever from them.

Striker

It reduced customization for Elites, and you could only play on certain game types, it didn't mess up things too bad, but it just made things more complicated. Same with Halo 2 to Halo 3, with not being able to lower your weapon over Live (Yes i know it lead to being exploited, which was the case for most of Halo 2, I'll leave it to you guys to decide whether the tricks helped or hindered the gameplay.), they ended up fixing most of the other exploits, which i imagine could be the case for lowering weapons (Fyre probably knows if this is feasable or not).
For Halo 2, you could do it on Live, the others were just local. You just had to hold down LT when you're out of grenades to lower your weapon. The Oddball trick just removed any weapon from your hands.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Like action sack!

Team Slayer should have been the base halo 4 gametype from the start.

It belongs in Action Sack with the other wacky pseudo-competitive gametypes.

Not disagreeing there, but I'd rather not have Infinity removed from the game entirely. Throw it in the Action Sack playlist if you must. I'd just like to be able to play it from time to time to blow off steam.

Top Bottom