• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's with the pattern texture pop-in when you get like 10 feet away from the enemy.
I feel like that is going to annoy me so much, plus look awful.

Adrift has certainly went through multiple iterations as well..

Besides the overall image quality being improved (less aliasing), the Mech now remains dormant and it took on a much creepier desolate feeling.

Yup, this map has changed a ton with each iteration that we have seen.. I really dig the vacant darker lighting, it has a vert atmospheric look going with it. I do understand people being worried about how dark it is, but from what I can tell it looks really nice. Anyways, are we sure the Mech is no longer moving/being built?

Off-Topic: But I am finally going to see Prometheus today. I am kinda excited...

Man, you really had to wait a while.. anyways, I liked the movie.. it is very different from Alien, but I found it to be a really fun film.

Vire

I just hope Adrift doesn't become the Backwash of Halo 4, where it's too damn dark for its own good.

Backwash0a.jpg

It's great as a singleplayer play space but for competitive it was terrible.

How easy is it to make u4iX a peon in the clan system menu?

Man, if there is some way to have groups/clans in Halo 4, I will be so pumped. I mean, they seem to be making this a very player-centric game. Your own Spartan enlisting. The Team Fury and Demon stuff really makes me hopeful for players to choose their own team name. Then again, how that's incorporate randomsn I have no idea.

Either way, if I can have groupings for HaloGaf or other friends playing the game, that's be sweet. If it can bypass the 100 friend limit on XBL? Even better.

Man, you really had to wait a while.. anyways, I liked the movie.. it is very different from Alien, but I found it to be a really fun film.
I am not considering it related to Alien. It's a independent sci-fi movie.
That looks like the startinc cutscene of Halo 3, for some reason.
It is and I think he wanted to say that the Chief's skull has a big similarity with the Promethean Warrior skull but I could be wrong.

CyReN

I just hope Adrift doesn't become the Backwash of Halo 4, where it's too damn dark for its own good.

Backwash0a. jpg

It's great as a singleplayer play space but for competitive it was terrible.

I actually liked the map, just hated that you didn't start with grenades if I'm remember correctly.

It is and I think he wanted to say that the Chief's skull has a big similarity with the Promethean Warrior skull but I could be wrong.

Nope, just wanted to show people it, its a close up of the opening cutscene take with mods, found it interesting.

neoism

I don't think they will admit it officially that the fov now sucks, I think Bungie never did with Halo 2/3.

And here I am now used to 1080Pnative/90-120fps/fov90.

Halo 4 will be brutal on my spoiled eyes. :(

not if I play a lot of Halo 3 the week before to get used to the framerate and FOV.. and p2p

It can only get narrower at this point in development, unless they want a huge performance hit to deal with this late.

pc games 4 lef I feel you letters.....

Backwash wasnt good for competitive? What? MLG picked it up because it was so good. The two hills and middle control was perfect for CTF and Slayer.

I suggest everybody go watch MLG Backwash games now if you never seen them.

GhaleonEB

One button, no guide needed, instant access from anywhere in the main UI. It's nice and VERY fast.
Nice. Sounds like a return to the Y button idea in Halo 2. Very glad this is returning.

This is the right mind set. It uses some of the same imagery, but I don't really connect the two. It does its own thing in terms of visuals and story. Also, everything else.

I have the ultimate Halo 4 question. I am 100% sure that this is the number one consern of Halo 4 throughout the entire world. Will this be the first Halo game that will allow us to shoot our self in the leg or foot?

Duji

What the hell is happening to this thread?!

Reading through some of the recent posts is mind-boggling.

Stuff like:

4 shot kill BR is balanced.
5 shot kill BR is inherently unbalanced.

I mean WTF does that even mean?!

It doesn't make sense, because it's all in context to whatever sandbox has been created to go with said weapon.

Pulling the trigger an additonal time doesn't make a weapon "unbalanced" and dependant upon firing rate etc, the kill time may not even be any different in comparison to the sandbox it's a part of! And even if it is, it's a different game!

I get that people like old school Halo. I like old school Halo. But, I have been playing that game for 10+ years. If Halo 4 is a mixture of everything I really enjoy about Halo (the sandbox, the universe, speed, strafeing, jump height, the feeling of even if you're outgunned, your own decisions on a battlefield can change the outcome of a battle (i.e not an "I saw you first, so I automatically win the fight" type game) then I for one welcome the new shit. Even if it falls flat on it's arse, at least it tried to be different and not just a re-skin of the same game over and over. (which is all some people ever seem to want)

I mean, imagine if a developer actually did that. Just updated the graphics, stuck a new campaign but kept all the guns and mechanics exactly the same...I don't think it would go down quite the way you'd expect - people would get very bored, very quickly in my opinion.

I don't know if anything I posted made any sense...I'm just rambling at this point. :)
You seem to be under the impression that they have to change key mechanics in the game just for the sake of change. Also, there are other ways to alter the gameplay mechanics instead of changing the shots-to-kill with the BR, as one can see already how much Halo 4 is already different. Proponents of a 4sk BR simply want a faster paced game where the individual can shine instead of being forced to team-shot like with the recent Halo games. Also, one of Reach's biggest problems was how slow the game was.

Implying anothers opinion is wrong (when it comes to video games anyway) is idiotic automatically. And i intend to call people out on it.
When people stay stuff on the internet, like how that guy said that the shadows on the BR doesn't look good... it's beyond obvious that it's solely his opinion. Viewing it as him "implying" that your opinion is wrong means that you did the exact opposite of giving him the benefit of the doubt. Pretty much everything that anyone says here is an opinion. This is a forum -- where opinions are shared and (hopefully) friendly debate ensues.

I have the ultimate Halo 4 question. I am 100% sure that this is the number one consern of Halo 4 throughout the entire world. Will this be the first Halo game that will allow us to shoot our self in the leg or foot?

I think you could in Halo 2. But it was a ricochet off the ground into your foot.

GhaleonEB

You seem to be under the impression that they have to change key mechanics in the game just for the sake of change. Also, there are other ways to alter the gameplay mechanics instead of changing the shots-to-kill with the BR, as one can see already how much Halo 4 is already different. Proponents of a 4sk BR simply want a faster paced game where the individual can shine instead of being forced to team-shot like with the recent Halo games. Also, one of Reach's biggest problems was how slow the game was.

No, he's not. He's saying it's unreasonable to judge the combat based on one variable such as how many shots it takes to kill with a BR. Even setting aside the firing cadence of the weapon, Halo 4 is a different game with an entirely different combat sandbox, a host of new variables in the mix beyond weapons.

Even basics such as grenade damage and radius and melee damage were altered significantly by Bungie from game to game. They were not "just for the sake of change" as you put it, but because they were making a new game. I hesitate to draw much from that one variable - how many shots it takes to kill with the BR - and infer the speed and nature of combat in the game.

CyReN

Backwash wasnt good for competitive? What? MLG picked it up because it was so good. The two hills and middle control was perfect for CTF and Slayer.

I suggest everybody go watch MLG Backwash games now if you never seen them.

To be fair in 05' they had Gemini for a bit, so many standoffs..

Duji

60fps, 90' FOV, drop the skyboxes.

Ship it.

I'd totally play that.

No, he's not. He's saying it's unreasonable to judge the combat based on one variable such as how many shots it takes to kill with a BR. Even setting aside the firing cadence of the weapon, Halo 4 is a different game with an entirely different combat sandbox, a host of new variables in the mix beyond weapons.

Even basics such as grenade damage and radius and melee damage were altered significantly by Bungie from game to game. They were not "just for the sake of change" as you put it, but because they were making a new game. I hesitate to draw much from that one variable - how many shots it takes to kill with the BR - and infer the speed and nature of combat in the game.

I just got that impression from reading that since he's okay with the game falling "flat on it's arse" as long as it tried to be different. And I know that certain things like grenade damage weren't changed just for the sake of it.

My problem is the 5sk BR's minimum kill time is ~1.8 seconds, which will lead to even longer average kill times (obviously). That is way too long IMO.

Thankfully the DMR is ~1.5 seconds and I think the carbine is even shorter, so I'll definitely be using those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom