• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Computron

No Valhalla remake because they wouldn't be able to capture the spirit of the map without the most important part:

i8EoMAJZEoc6M.gif

Oh and +1 to all the less important stuff Dax said about the remake.
3AQmK.gif

Especially the parts about fall-damage/man-cannons and the infantry combat.

But seriously, I want more interactive foliage, forge objects and/or dynamic gates/bridges to come over from Halo 3.

Standoff/high-ground remakes for example just ain't right with the switches and gates.

I would settle for just local/visual effects like Foliage if it's a networking issue as was the reason given for H3 Midship's static grav platform. (Although, they didn't remove switches and gates from Longshore!)

The guys at Epic recently found a novel and cheap way to get foliage to animate with many more pivot points that are stored in the model's verticies rather than rigged to a skeleton.
So Gears 3 recently shipped DLC maps with an awesome shader that they used to simulate wind affecting individual blades of grass and individual branches on trees.
(rather than animating clumps of grass and big sections of trees by hand, which is much more expensive and not as dynamic):

iSqCEwlhmO2Gd.gif

irNhT0WkaVTrV.gif

They used it in this one map with a hurricane that rolls through the background (Artillery is the name), it looked awesome and even had subtle gameplay implications.

(For those of you who have seen the new Cryengine 3 tech trailer, Crytek is extending a technique similar to this for their foliage and cloth sim)

Hell, even the strickly-visual often-missed pimple breakout of Isolation was cool!

You know what would be great? A map that's half jungle, half Standoff, with a Valhalla-like river going down through both halves. Oh and a damn.

So basically think Halo 3 Campaign Mission 1.

Pop

Like new car smell.

So Sandtrap, that's cool. :D

Would really like to see Death Island

Trey

I always kind of disliked mancannons. They came across as too goofy for me, which is odd because I have no problems with a spiky pink weapon that shoots exploding crystals.

Sofa King

Mexico rhymes with Texaco.

Texaco is a fuel company.

Fuel is used in cars.

Cars are vehicles.

I drive a 2002 Dodge Neon.

It's beige.

Sandtrap is kinda beige and has vehicles.

New remake map = The Pit.

I was with you all the way until you didn't finish with: New remake map = Nuketown

Sandtainment. Containment with sand, instead of snow. but the map is twice as large, and you can drive mammoths out the massive gate.

the dream cannot die!

why the fuck would they remake sandtrap? when theres like a treasure trove in halo 2.

I want Mexican food now. I blame Frankie and anyone who mentioned Mexico :(

Remake is going to be Backwash purely for all the new lights to bounce off that fog.

senador

Banned
I really don't see DMR's being as big of a problem on Valhalla as most of you are making it out to be.

Blood Gulch had literally no cover for the entire field part of the map. Valhalla has multiple rocks/side entrants/man cannons/etc. to break up sight lines. Add in the fact that you don't get knocked out of scope, and it will make it much easier to fight back from your base. Not to mention this isn't Reach, your Spartan doesn't move like a snail and has no hops.

Add in the fact that the laser will probably still be at the top of the hill, forcing players out of their bases if they hope to have any kind of vehicle action.

I think it'll play fine. Couldn't be any worse than Reach BTB, that's for sure.

Did past Juices take that pic in 1995 & email it to future Juices?

Yeah, this stuff. I feel like Valhalla would work fine and be a blast, and it'd be the map I want most. Yeah, I've read Dani's, Ghaleon's, and Dax's points. Good points, but I still think it can be done.

343 could do several things to help too. Scale it up some, change a it a big to change some of the sight lines, reduce aim assist at range, at extreme range don't allow target to be hit (if reticule not red or something). With Sprint and the side paths, I don't see the hill being any more of a problem than it was in Halo 3. Plus, could the BRs hit the bases in 3 anyhow?

GhaleonEB

Same.

Was I hallucinating or did I read there there were still a few major announcements to make?

Or both?

Well.

Three Forge maps to show (two were basically teased).

Six MP maps to announce, including one remake.

The upcoming press reveals on Campaign and other content.

Possible new game types for War Games.

Theater.

Ranking/arena system?

Forward Unto Dawn series released.

We'll clear 40k posts easy. Call it a hunch.

Jironimo

Neo Member
Also, La Carta de Oaxaca translates to "The Letter from Oaxaca". Although Carta can mean map, it is almost never used that way and it's almost always used as letter. Not that it means anything, I'm just translating.

Top Bottom