• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

Ensemble Studios made the base game but Robot Entertainment did post launch content and support, which was a bunch of the ex-Ensemble guys.

There is probably credits in the credit screen where its due.

It was sent to me and told it was HW:DE SS.

If not you can in theory refund with more or less no questions asked until HW2 release I'd assume.
Cool and thanks for the info never really had to refund anything on my Microsoft account yet.

FYI the codes are being distributed between 20th-27th December, you may not get it until the 27th at worse. I only pre-ordered yesterday so i guess we're in the same boat, hoping we're in the first wave :) !

Ugh I'm at the mercy of RNG with the 1st wave.

Gowans

I the mood for this, nice this is coming out a couple of months before HW2, I thought it was going to be at the same time.

Glad I preordered, I've got the RTS itch and have slipped back into scratching it with Dota

Tecnniqe

Banned
Cool and thanks for the info never really had to refund anything on my Microsoft account yet.
Well they allowed me to refund FH3 even after me playing it due to some issues I had. I did however purchase it again :D

And even then, in most scenarios they don't take any money before ~10 days before the release, so you can end up paying nothing and get the game :)
Ugh I'm at the mercy of RNG with the 1st wave.
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FKLfl7l.jpg[/IMG]
I the mood for this, nice this is coming out a couple of months before HW2, I thought it was going to be at the same time.

Glad I preordered, I've got the RTS itch and have slipped back into scratching it with Dota

Oh dear

m23

People who pre order physical will have to wait until HW2 releases to play HW1 Definitive.

DJ_Lae

Neat, I'd totally play that.

I went to pick up the ultimate edition and was pleasantly surprised to see it at only $80. Then I realized that the store somehow had flipped to US instead of CA. Whoops - $100.

Maybe it'll be cheaper later.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Neat, I'd totally play that.

I went to pick up the ultimate edition and was pleasantly surprised to see it at only $80. Then I realized that the store somehow had flipped to US instead of CA. Whoops - $100.

Maybe it'll be cheaper later.

Do CA and US share keys?

Can you use a US key? If so you can purchase a code from US and redeem it.

Gwyn

New post on halowaypoint HALO WARS: GENESIS (Downloadable PDF, 9mb)

As mentioned, Halo Wars: Definitive Edition comes as part of an awesome bonus for preordering the Ultimate Edition of Halo Wars 2. However, many of you will likely remember that back when the original game was released, it had its own special collector’s edition available. In addition to an absolutely gorgeous double-sided Steelbook cover (your humble penman is such a sucker for those things), perhaps the most interesting part of the collector’s edition – particularly for story fans – was the inclusion of a small prequel comic called Halo Wars: Genesis. Written by Eric Nylund and illustrated by Phil Noto, the comic focused on the “origin stories,” so to speak, of several of the main characters in the game.

As the original Halo Wars was released nearly eight years ago now, it’s increasingly likely that many Halo fans have never been able to peruse the comic on their own. That’s why we figured it might be a fun idea to make it available here as a digital downloadable PDF, so that both brand new fans and seasoned veterans alike can reexperience the story. To download, follow the link below, and enjoy!

Tecnniqe

Banned
Oh nice!
Lmao, yes!
That's nice of them, still got my limited from back then on my shelf along with a few other favourite 360 games.
Yooo
Gu3Ioiv.jpg

iFirez

Just got my preorder in. Looking forward to replaying this. Oddly as soon as I preordered it downloaded a bunch of 10Mb~ installs including one for this and then 2 for Halo Wars 2.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Just got my preorder in. Looking forward to replaying this. Oddly as soon as I preordered it downloaded a bunch of 10Mb~ installs including one for this and then 2 for Halo Wars 2.

Yeah. The store does download a small file when you purchase the game :)

I'm one day hoping to do a magnet wall of steelbooks I own. That one will be front and centre with the G1s.

Great Wall o' Steelbook

Fuchsdh

OT is on point. For completionists, worth linking this TA breakdown of the achievements list: https://www.trueachievements.com/n26068/halo-wars-definitive-edition-achievements-revealed

Basically the General achievement is gone, with a bunch of cumulative multiplayer/skirmish win achievements, and the Act completion achievements are gone, replaced with a bunch of sequential mission victory achievements, alongside some additional ones for finding the intel and skulls.

For all the complaints about Arcadia being ridiculously hard on Legendary, my bane was always mission five. Clawing your way out of that pit to win while they dump units on you and then the super turret was killer.

EvB

It's a placeholder so that the file can be updated into the final game when it goes gold

Hawk269

Please let me know if I missed something. Ma first :D

Great Job on OT man and thank you for making it.

For anyone else, if you want to add me to play co-op or MP, please send a friend request. Gamer tag is same as user name here: Hawk269. I am more casual gamer, not great, but not horrible at it as well.

Hawk269

Was this game any good?

Yes, it was very good. It is the most successful RTS on consoles and controls were fantastic. It was more of a simplistic RTS compared to many PC RTS games. There was not too much resource management to contend with, I mean it has an impact but not as much as far as managing resources as most PC RTS games. Also when building bases, they had pre-determined areas that you build them on, so it was not like most PC RTS games where you build your base anywhere.

Both SP and MP is really good, the SP is only played from the UNSC side of the Story, you do not play a Covie side, but the SP had a really good story and great cut-scenes, which I believe are the best cut scenes of any Halo game. MP was really great and some 3vs3 battles can get pretty crazy. Overall, it is a great game.

Tecnniqe

Banned
OT is on point. For completionists, worth linking this TA breakdown of the achievements list: https://www.trueachievements.com/n26068/halo-wars-definitive-edition-achievements-revealed

Basically the General achievement is gone, with a bunch of cumulative multiplayer/skirmish win achievements, and the Act completion achievements are gone, replaced with a bunch of sequential mission victory achievements, alongside some additional ones for finding the intel and skulls.

For all the complaints about Arcadia being ridiculously hard on Legendary, my bane was always mission five. Clawing your way out of that pit to win while they dump units on you and then the super turret was killer.
Almost makes me miss General :D
Great Job on OT man and thank you for making it.

For anyone else, if you want to add me to play co-op or MP, please send a friend request. Gamer tag is same as user name here: Hawk269. I am more casual gamer, not great, but not horrible at it as well.

Feel free to throw me an invite too, I'm on when I'm on and skill level I can't promise anything :D

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Biggest gaming regret in life is lending this to a friend and getting it back damaged :(

Oh man, I'd fucking lose it. I've never lent any SEs to any but one friend who I know would treat it like her own child.

This in particular is a lovely addition to my shelf. Sad that I'm not adding any more to the collection having gone all digital this gen.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yes, it was very good. It is the most successful RTS on consoles and controls were fantastic. It was more of a simplistic RTS compared to many PC RTS games. There was not too much resource management to contend with, I mean it has an impact but not as much as far as managing resources as most PC RTS games. Also when building bases, they had pre-determined areas that you build them on, so it was not like most PC RTS games where you build your base anywhere.

Both SP and MP is really good, the SP is only played from the UNSC side of the Story, you do not play a Covie side, but the SP had a really good story and great cut-scenes, which I believe are the best cut scenes of any Halo game. MP was really great and some 3vs3 battles can get pretty crazy. Overall, it is a great game.

I do actually hope they do a bit of re-balancing when it comes to MP.

Hardly ever saw the Covies :p

iFirez

So there starting to roll out codes tomorrow right? Seems like an odd way to do it but hey hope we all get them early!

Hawk269

Such a weird stealth release, especially with this being available on PC.

I think since the game is BC with the original game and this is just a remake/facelift version with bonus stuff and it being made for PC as well that is probably why we are not seeing any marketing for it. It is a bonus you get early for reserving the sequel. Until the game show awards, all we knew was that the DE would be included if you pre-ordered the game, then at the game show awards they announce the early release of the DE version if you reserved the game.

I don't see how you would really market the D.E. version coming out early. I think what they should of done since it is coming out early is make the game purchasable on it's own and if you pre-ordered HW2 you get it free. I can see them using that as marketing...

"Halo Wars Definitive Edition $19.99 or FREE if you pre-order Halo Wars 2, available on 12/20/2016".

I have high hopes to get back from work and find the key in my inbox, then my night is sorted :)
That scarab rainbow beam skull is so getting switched on again as well as cowbell.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I think since the game is BC with the original game and this is just a remake/facelift version with bonus stuff and it being made for PC as well that is probably why we are not seeing any marketing for it. It is a bonus you get early for reserving the sequel. Until the game show awards, all we knew was that the DE would be included if you pre-ordered the game, then at the game show awards they announce the early release of the DE version if you reserved the game.

I don't see how you would really market the D.E. version coming out early. I think what they should of done since it is coming out early is make the game purchasable on it's own and if you pre-ordered HW2 you get it free. I can see them using that as marketing...

"Halo Wars Definitive Edition $19.99 or FREE if you pre-order Halo Wars 2, available on 12/20/2016".

Well they didn't have to do a massive push for it, but a couple videos and some screenshots would be nice to build something around it.

Poster#1

I have a bad feeling about this PC port. I'll wait and see impressions. I didn't play the first one because playing RTS with a controller is a no no for me.

I really wish these games appeared on Steam. I can't imagine that the recent PC ports by MS have performed particularly well (sales-wise).

Theorry

I really wish these games appeared on Steam. I can't imagine that the recent PC ports by MS have performed particularly well (sales-wise).

Its not really about sales i think. Its more about getting people to upgrade to W10 with play anywhere. It it was about sales they wouldnt give a free copy away with the xbox version or vica versa. :)

Tecnniqe

Banned
I preordered the Digital Version of Halo Wars 2 and have Halo Wars Definitive Edition under manage game in my Halo Wars 2 Pre Order.
Yeah, but I do believe that is only to "flag" the accounts for a key, as the content bundle probably wont be available/unlocked until HW2 is released otherwise. Might be a store limitation. IDK, its the info we've been given.

If it was about money they would put it everywhere.

I think it's more about building the connection and value of the brand before making a good push into the market.

Spitz

Yeah, but I do believe that is only to "flag" the accounts for a key, as the content bundle probably wont be available/unlocked until HW2 is released otherwise. Might be a store limitation. IDK, its the info we've been given.

^^ This makes sense.

But the release without any media and lack of infos is really strange and confusing to me.

Top Bottom