• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone released VGA boxes for the GC/Xbox?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Culex said:
What exactly is a VGA box/adaptor for? Is it so you can play the GC through your PC?

so you can play it on your PC (and get much better IQ at that, usually)

epmode

i have an xblaster (from KDS.)

what's nice about it, is that it converts any progressive input to vga. so it works with my xbox and gamecube. even progessive ps2 games and my standalone dvd player. i've compared them, and the visual quality of the xblaster is exactly the same as the dedicated adapters. it's also cheaper.

now, the xblaster has been discontinued, but there's another, similar but better, product that ign did a very favorable review on. i'd post a link, but i can't seem to find it anymore. i'm just letting you know that there's a more versitile solution available..

B'z-chan

Banned
epmode said:
i have an xblaster (from KDS.)

what's nice about it, is that it converts any progressive input to vga. so it works with my xbox and gamecube. even progessive ps2 games and my standalone dvd player. i've compared them, and the visual quality of the xblaster is exactly the same as the dedicated adapters. it's also cheaper.

now, the xblaster has been discontinued, but there's another, similar but better, product that ign did a very favorable review on. i'd post a link, but i can't seem to find it anymore. i'm just letting you know that there's a more versitile solution available..

You would be lucky to find the old blaster or even the newer one IGN did as they are both not in production. The newer one stoped taking orders about 3 weeks ago.

Culex

Banned
I have an All-In-Wonder Radeon with one of those purple box's with S-video inputs on it. I've hooked my GC up to my monitor that way using S-Video, but certain games look ugly (Rebel Strike and Metroid Prime for example). Is there any kind of converter that I can use to put component through the S-video input, while retaining progressive scan, or is a VGA box the only option?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Culex said:
I have an All-In-Wonder Radeon with one of those purple box's with S-video inputs on it. I've hooked my GC up to my monitor that way using S-Video, but certain games look ugly (Rebel Strike and Metroid Prime for example). Is there any kind of converter that I can use to put component through the S-video input, while retaining progressive scan, or is a VGA box the only option?

I've tried a ton of TV tuners, and VGA is the only way to go.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm ordering the VDigi adaptor ASAP

Do keep in mind its only for 480p, 720p or 1080i games

It will not work on 480i.

For me its great for non-widescreen games. I love my 100inch Widescreen Projector, but its raped by 4:3 material.. darn black bars. Not to mention it makes some games fugly. For movies it OWNS though :D
So I prefer to use 4:3 games on a Monitor. Should work out great.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The XBlaster is the only multi-platform solution for VGA on the current consoles. Great product and cost effective unlike other solutions.

xblaster.gif

epmode

the xblaster isn't being produced anymore, but it is still available. check uncle dukey's post. that's where i bought it from, too.

Yusaku

I'm thinking of picking up a widescreen LCD monitor, would any of these display widescreen games properly (1280x768)?

Yusaku

Oh! My Car! said:
Speaking of VGA boxes, are there any decent ones still available for Dreamcast?

Is that a joke? The DC started the whole VGA box thing, there's even an official Sega one. There are dozens of VGA boxes for the DC, I think I have one collecting dust around here.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yusaku said:
Is that a joke? The DC started the whole VGA box thing, there's even an official Sega one. There are dozens of VGA boxes for the DC, I think I have one collecting dust around here.

Yes!
And what even more sad is since then, not a single company, even the Mighty Microsoft has yet to come out with an offical VGA adaptor :(

Yusaku said:
No joke, I recently bought a DC and have been looking for a VGA adaptor over the past few days.

any chance of you owners whom have the Vd-Z3 would be able to provide us with more info?
like a mini-review.

i am using a Tv-in card, the s-video input and http://www.dscaler.com/.

dscaler is a great program, loads of options, the blended deinterlace gives a superb image.

but i want more. that enhanced VD-Z3 sounds like what i want.

epmode

Yusaku said:
I'm thinking of picking up a widescreen LCD monitor, would any of these display widescreen games properly (1280x768)?
the xblaster doesn't. at least, it's not documented. i doubt that the other one does, either.

it would be pretty cool, though. more and more games support widescreen..

DaCocoBrova

did you not check the rest of the thread?

the VDigi VD-Z3 does exactly what the KD-XB does

Without a price, how could I even compare the two? The X-Blaster is cheap for what it does.

dscaler is a great program, loads of options, the blended deinterlace gives a superb image.

I've been fiddling w/ Descaler lately.

What settings do you use?

I'm thinking of picking up a widescreen LCD monitor

Too bad they don't exist. LCD TVs come in 16:9, but I have to come across any (good) monitors at that aspect ratio.

Suikoguy

Templar Wizard said:
any chance of you owners whom have the Vd-Z3 would be able to provide us with more info?
like a mini-review.

The VD-Z3 avoids the issue of deinterlacing all together. Beacuse of this, like I mentioned, it does not support interlaced material like the xbox DVD player, or the majority of ps2 games, or some GC games and a select few Xbox games. Only progressive or HD Material is supported.
From the reviews i've read the VD-Z3 is the best choice. The newer version looks to make an already good product even better. The VD-Z3 was $50 + shipping. I'm not sure what the new price will be.

I'd wait till July 5th and see what the new price is before ordering. If its less then $65 i'll be ordering one.

Suikoguy

Are there any good comparisions of the X-Blaster and Old Version of VD-Z3?

DaCocoBrova

The VD-Z3 avoids the issue of deinterlacing all together. Beacuse of this, like I mentioned, it does not support interlaced material like the xbox DVD player, or the majority of ps2 games, or some GC games and a select few Xbox games. Only progressive or HD Material is supported.

The X-Blaster does the exact same thing. Interlaced games don't work on it, only progressive.

I still don't see any advantages to this over the X-Blaster. Not that I have a preference. I just want to know if they're the same or not.

Suikoguy

DaCocoBrova said:
The X-Blaster does the exact same thing. Interlaced games don't work on it, only progressive.

I still don't see any advantages to this over the X-Blaster. Not that I have a preference. I just want to know if they're the same or not.

From what I can tell they are the same.
I take it you have the xblaster?

If you have happened to see the xbox on a comparable HDTV, and on a VGA Monitor (CRT). How would you compare them?

I consider myself a minor videonut, so i'm probably more picky then the average consumer.

DaCocoBrova

I've played my XBOX and Gamecube on the following...

NEC MP42 Plasma
NEC Nighthawk CRT projector
Samsung Syncmaster 763MB

The plasma was via component (progressive)
CRT projector was via X-Blaster (progressive)
CRT monitor was via X-Blaster (progressive)

Due to size coupled w/ gorgeous IQ, the CRT projector looked best. F-Zero left quite the impression. Man.

the advantages with the VD-Z3 were that it wasn't a discontinued product, came with xbox component cables, and also a free USB->Xbox controller adapter for PC, all at a lower price than the KD-XB...

though now, the KD-XB's price has dropped $20 and there is no official price for the 'enhanced' VD-Z3, but it now comes with xbox component cables that have optical audio out...

functionally, they're the same... too bad that old thread on the old forum is gone...

Suikoguy

DaCocoBrova said:
I've played my XBOX and Gamecube on the following...

NEC MP42 Plasma
NEC Nighthawk CRT projector
Samsung Syncmaster 763MB

The plasma was via component (progressive)
CRT projector was via X-Blaster (progressive)
CRT monitor was via X-Blaster (progressive)

Due to size coupled w/ gorgeous IQ, the CRT projector looked best. F-Zero left quite the impression. Man.

Yes, F-Zero is more then worth playing on the big screen. As with most widescreen games.

EDIT:

I found out it does support autodetect.. *ordered*

Top Bottom