• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDMI Cable no longer outputting 4K HDR?

MrMephistoX

Had a power outage and now All of a sudden my HDMI cables won’t output 4K with HDR. Anyone ever had issues with HDMI cables just failing? About to try buying a better cable since none of mine seem to work now but it’s just odd behavior. It’s fine in 4K but the PS5 gives me an error that only 1080 p is supported with HDR now same with my Xbox but my Apple TV does 4K hdr no problem…switching PS5 to the same input doesn’t work.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

get this one..

best quality

619YwiWxJyL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

VODKA 48

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
LTT made a video on HDMI cables that don't work properly, they should have a list of certified and tested cable in their site.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Had a power outage and now All of a sudden my HDMI cables won’t output 4K with HDR. Anyone ever had issues with HDMI cables just failing? About to try buying a better cable since none of mine seem to work now but it’s just odd behavior. It’s fine in 4K but the PS5 gives me an error that only 1080 p is supported with HDR now same with my Xbox but my Apple TV does 4K hdr no problem…switching PS5 to the same input doesn’t work.
I had problems with long HDMI cables.
I got a 15m cable a while ago, and 4K did not work, PS5 with 1080p worked, but bluray did not work...

So yes, it is possible, and you may buy some cheap (but not too cheap) cables and give it a try.

Do these devices go directly to the TV or is there an AV receiver in between?

Shmunter

Cables(s)? How many, were they all plugged in?

Sounds like a source (ps5) or destination (tv) issue

Try different ports.

Ulysses 31

Might be a TV setting that got reset with the outage?

Often you have to enable something to get the full HDMI bandwidth like enable signal plus on HDMI ports on Samsung TVs or deep colors on LG OLEDs.

MrMephistoX

Cables(s)? How many, were they all plugged in?

Sounds like a source (ps5) or destination (tv) issue

Try different ports.

Well that’s the thing I’m wondering if something got fried during the power outage? Same ports same cables worked fine before but now they just won’t do HDR. They can do 4K no problem but only HDR at 1080p. Hoping new cables will help.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Here you go, best bang for the buck in quality and performance next to Monoprice cables.

PaintTinJr

There might be some sort of capacitance in your system, now. Best bet is to turn off - at the plug - everything connected to the TV - and the TV itself too - for ten minutes to let all the power(and heat) in the systems/cables drain away, then try again.

If that doesn't work, try disabling HDCP on the PS5 and see if that works. If it does then the cable probably needs replaced as it too close to the bandwidth limits of the resolution/freq you are using. If there's any curvature - sharp bends - in your cable try and spread the direction change over a longer distance or remove the bending - if possible - entirely, as the error rate is lowest with a straight flat cable between two devices.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Is this an Android TV? or something similar. I know if I unplug mine without shutting it off properly, the TV will think it crashed and will boot up in safe mode which could disable or limit the hdmi ports. Doing a clean reboot fixes it.
I've also had cases where a device is stuck outputting 480p over HDMI, typically happens if theres too much signal/packet loss. Again a reboot and checking the connections fixes it.
Lastly make sure the cable isn't being strained at an angle, or if anything heavy is pressing into it.

my Apple TV does 4K hdr no problem…switching PS5 to the same input doesn’t work.
if apple tv does 4k hdr no problem, and apple tv uses an HDMI cable... you know that HDMI cable is good.

try using that HDMI cable with the PS5.

if the PS5 still wont do 4k hdr, the issue is probably something other than the cable.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

if apple tv does 4k hdr no problem, and apple tv uses an HDMI cable... you know that HDMI cable is good.

try using that HDMI cable with the PS5.

if the PS5 still wont do 4k hdr, the issue is probably something other than the cable.
Yeah tried that still having issues. I ordered some 8k ready 2.1 cables and if that doesn’t work I guess it must be the TV? It’s weird because HDR does work at 1080p now but not at 4K.

Last edited:
Top Bottom