• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls coming to PS4 (pal only for now, US to follow)

What are you trying to prove with a Metacritic rating? I enjoyed the game, and even Platinumed it. And the story was absolutely trash- horrible writing, stereotypes that bordered on offensive, and gaping plot holes.

An aggregate set of reviews that rated it well really won't tell you that the writing in the game is really awful.

Weird, so Heavy Rain reviewed well because of it's gameplay? Or you just don't agree with the critics on the story? The story is the main reason this game was good. It's the main reason this game worked in the first place. Not agreeing on the story being good is fine as it is your opinion and I can't argue with that.

Why? It's a low profile port, and they've announced both games to be released by the end of the year earlier.
Cause:

b2qXHNQ.png

It's all hands on deck for their PS4 game, which has a lot of key talent working on it this time around. The ports are probably handled by 5 guys lol

Persona7

Banned
Oh yeah, I would like to get this collection. I really liked Beyond : Two Souls but I remember the vocal inflections in Heavy Rain bothering me for some reason.

So people can see for themselves how mediocre these games are played next to Until Dawn.

Not sure if serious.
Finished Until Dawn last night. Just one of the endings was enough. Traded it in the same night. Have no desire to play it again. Experience just felt tedious. The writing was intentionally awful, I guess, so mission accomplished.

It wasn't a terrible game by any measure and I wish Capcom would just hire out those guys for the tech behind a new Resident Evil game.

However, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, even LA Noire and Telltale's stuff are - for my money - the far superior experiences. I'm actually about to replay The Walking Dead season 1 & 2 again. The stories and emotions are what keeps me hooked. Until Dawn reminded me of what I love about those other games.

I do wish they'd copy Until Dawn's one-button quicktime mechanic, though! Much better implementation.

Zemm

How can anyone defend the story of heavy rain? It breaks the holy adventure game rule of lying to the players face to have a very cheap, unearned twist. Awful stuff.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder if they will put the story parts they cut out of heavy rain back in. I remember reading it was a last minute decision too?

Ce-Lin

Oh, so you were just being a general pretentious dick, not a Sony pretentious dick. Much better.

no need for such words, I commented on this thread with my personal opinion without insulting anyone, on the other hand you call a fellow member "dick" for whatever reason I never expected to happen in NeoGAF where people tend to discuss things without resorting to personal insults. Suit yourself with your comments anyway.

Corpekata

Banned
no need for such words, I commented on this thread with my personal opinion without insulting anyone, on the other hand you call a fellow member "dick" for whatever reason I never expected to happen in NeoGAF where people tend to discuss things without resorting to personal insults. Suit yourself with your comments anyway.

Yes, you were totally not being insulting with that FPS kids comment, not at all.

eFKac

Cause:

It's all hands on deck for their PS4 game, which has a lot of key talent working on it this time around. The ports are probably handled by 5 guys lol

Yo wtf?

I've waited 2 years already, was expecting it by November at the latest. Why did they announce those ports even if they're not coming for over 9 months?

Outsource that shit if you're busy.

Humdinger

Why isn't Indigo Prophecy part of the collection, I wonder? I know they were working on a port.

Indigo Prophecy was my favorite David Cage game. Heavy Rain was good. Beyond: Two Souls was overwrought, poorly written (even for him), and ultimately a letdown.

Loudninja

Yo wtf?

I've waited 2 years already, was expecting it by November at the latest. Why did they announce those ports even if they're not coming for over 9 months?

Outsource that shit if you're busy.
Eh its a good thing they are doing it themselves if its not bluepoint or HexaDrive its best they do it themselves.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How can anyone defend the story of heavy rain? It breaks the holy adventure game rule of lying to the players face to have a very cheap, unearned twist. Awful stuff.
Both stories are godawful examples of storytelling in general, even for video games. Both would be panned to hell and back if they were actual films and/or tv shows.

Why isn't Indigo Prophecy part of the collection, I wonder? I know they were working on a port.

Indigo Prophecy was my favorite David Cage game. Heavy Rain was good. Beyond: Two Souls was overwrought, poorly written (even for him), and ultimately a letdown.

For obvious reasons, they're owned by different companies.

Both would be panned to hell and back if they were actual films and/or tv shows.
Doesnt particularly matter because its not. Its written with the game part in mind, which makes it pretty strong for me because its clever in so many ways. Heavy Rain written for a movie would maybe resemble the current story by like 10%.

Hasney

Eh its a good thing they are doing it themselves if its not bluepoint or HexaDrive its best they do it themselves.

Ooo, I'd like to see what High Voltage could do with it. Mostly to laugh at.

Could I get more laughs than when playing through the original? Only HVS could find out!

Carcetti

Gonna be so rought to tackle those after Until Dawn. Fahrenheit was fun because it started out this thing and you could forgive the insanity for that. Heavy Rain was also a pioneer work with some heavily fluctuating quality (the genius of Microwaving Dinner scene still holds). Beyond was just bad, with all the cliched parts and bad decisions of the earlier games coming out to party (the really schmaltzy homeless scenes, nonsensical native magic stuff, really forced romance stuff, I could go on). It had its moments but Until Dawn is so much more convincing as a game movie that actually works as a movie.

Gonna be so rought to tackle those after Until Dawn. Fahrenheit was fun because it started out this thing and you could forgive the insanity for that. Heavy Rain was also a pioneer work with some heavily fluctuating quality (the genius of Microwaving Dinner scene still holds). Beyond was just bad, with all the cliched parts and bad decisions of the earlier games coming out to party (the really schmaltzy homeless scenes, nonsensical native magic stuff, really forced romance stuff, I could go on). It had its moments but Until Dawn is so much more convincing as a game movie that actually works as a movie.

I really liked the native american scenes

I'm not really sure what your comment was trying to accomplish anyway. I like Halo and I liked Heavy Rain. It's perfectly possible to enjoy completely different genres you know?

Carcetti

I really liked the native american scenes

They sort of have this role in serving as the 'growing up while on a walkabout' part of a story, but they're so bizarrely separate from everything else by the tone, while also being super cliched in the sense of 'if a protag meets an ethnic person they're gonna have magic wisdom'.

Jawmuncher

They sort of have this role in serving as the 'growing up while on a walkabout' part of a story, but they're so bizarrely separate from everything else by the tone, while also being super cliched in the sense of 'if a protag meets an ethnic person they're gonna have magic wisdom'.

Yeah that was my main reason for not liking that section. Comes out of nowhere and then isn't brought up again until the ending.

Top Bottom