• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade’s permadeath is a bluff - PCGamesN

zoukka

Ah the culture of youtube celebrities telling their sheeple what mechanics they should like while spoiling the experience. Thanks.

TB should stick to what he knows best: whining about some missing slider in the fucking options.

Wulfram

Let's not pretend there's no difference between saying "I think permadeath is unfun" and saying "I think permadeath is anti-consumer and developers are stupid for putting it in games". Totalbiscuit's position on and weird reaction to this is untenable.

I haven't looked at Totalbiscuit's particular position. As you describe it, it sounds dumb. But even if his opinion was dumb, it seems weird to "blame" him for someone else investigating an interesting and controversial mechanic and thus "ruining" it.

If someone's pissed about the spoiler, people should blame the people posting unmarked spoilers.

dugdug

Banned
I gotta be honest, this was a major selling point for me. I was on the fence and waiting for reviews, and, while the reviews were promising enough, this extra mechanic finally sold me on it, so I just bought it.

And now I read this.

Like, I'm sure it won't affect the game that much, but, jesus christ, is it too much to ask critics to try stuff like this before posting about it?

Ah the culture of youtube celebrities telling their sheeple what mechanics they should like while spoiling the experience. Thanks.

TB should stick to what he knows best: whining about some missing slider in the fucking options.

You definitely feel some sort of way about this huh

There is nothing wrong with permadeath, and there is nothing wrong with the way Hellblade handles game over states.

People gotta stop confusing things they dont like with things that are broken.

Draft

It really is. A game built around permadeath and designed from the ground up for it would be legitimately interesting. A game that uses permadeath as an imaginary boogeyman is less so.
There are dozens. As in 50% of every indie game for the last couple years.

Ralemont

not me
Hey guys can we actually figure out whether permadeath is a bluff or not in Hellblade, because it's still not clear at all

Z3M0G

There is nothing wrong with permadeath, and there is nothing wrong with the way Hellblade handles game over states.

People gotta stop confusing things they dont like with things that are broken.

Are you using the word "Broken" because of the Jim Sterling thing? That was for another topic (which was actually a game-breaking bug).

These are two different topics.

mileS

So now we have people that think this feature was changed because of TB and Jim.S? Oh my...

Still getting a lot of drive by posts that believe this isn't a real feature now. Watch the video, or at least listen to it. After that read through the thread a bit please. It's still in the game... Just not like everyone expects it would work.

-Horizon-

Knowing this actually does make me feel better and encourages me to look into this game some more. I was completely turned off the game when I heard about this "mechanic" at first.

poncle

The amount of tweets about this thing is insane, how did this blow out of proportions and why does everyone think it's fine to spoil it?

ArjanN

The amount of tweets about this thing is insane, how did this blow out of proportions and why does everyone think it's fine to spoil it?

This. The whole point of it being a bluff (or at least very hard to actually 'permadie') is that you don't know about it.

gunstarhero

That sort of sucks the wind out of buying this game for me. Would have been really awesome for the devs to really delete your file after too many deaths... the game is short enough where it wouldn't really bother me, and it adds a bit of charm to the game.

Yeah - the internet really sucks sometimes.

LiK

That sort of sucks the wind out of buying this game for me. Would have been really awesome for the devs to really delete your file after too many deaths... the game is short enough where it wouldn't really bother me, and it adds a bit of charm to the game.

I have zero interest in buying it soon now. Thanks game industry people who played the game early and decided to blabber about it RELEASE day.

Very very nice. I like the game even more.
NO GAME has to do this ever (in the proper meaning). No current game. 8 bit and 16 bit days are a long time over.

ArjanN

It was never going to remain a secret.

Following that logic i might as well put a bunch of Game of Thrones spoilers in this post.

Very very nice. I like the game even more.
NO GAME has to do this ever (in the proper meaning). No current game. 8 bit and 16 bit days are a long time over.

lol no.

Roguelikes and arcadestyle games like shmups etc basically are entirely designed around this, It's just a different style of game.

lol no.

Roguelikes and arcadestyle games like shmups etc basically are entirely designed around this, It's just a different style of game.

Games like Super Meat Boy and The Binding Of Isaac are meant to be 'hardcorely unplayable'. So a permadeath in them isn't something unexpected.

Z3M0G

Can we stop comparing permadeath in an 8 hour game to rogue-likes such as Isaac where you play short 15-20 min sessions?

sasliquid

So from what I can gather this was meant to imitate a sense of paranoia but salty manchild hot takes and Internet culture means that is wrecked one day into release

I hate internet discourse sometimes

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So from what I can gather this was meant to imitate a sense of paranoia but salty manchild hot takes and Internet culture means that is wrecked one day into release

I hate internet discourse sometimes
Why would people even give Totalbiscuit the time of day anymore? :mad: Dude's a moron that was whining about a feature in a game he didn't even play.

wWjq7bT.png

Wow so it was all a ruse in order to enhance paranoia? That's a really incredible approach to portraying the character's psychosis.

And now I'm actually feeling pretty pissed off that people pissing and moaning over permadeath means it's been spoiled. That would have been a great reveal.

ArjanN

Games like Super Meat Boy and The Binding Of Isaac are meant to be 'hardcorely unplayable'. So a permadeath in them isn't something unexpected.

But...Super Meat Boy has near-instant respawn, and the The Binding of Isaac is really pretty easy.

There's nothing wrong with the mechanic in principle anyway.

That said I get that people don't expect permadeath in a more story based game, which is why I already assumed it was going to be very forgiving anyway, but it would be nice if people had the courtesy to not spoil this for others, because the game clearly intends to use for atmospheric reasons to make you feel in more danger that you actually are.

Thank god this shit didn't happen with Nier Automata.

Even if reviewers blasted through all the Automata endings i feel there reviews would be "What the fuck just happened!?"

If it was a ruse to enhance paranoia and work with some themes of the game...it's a shame some felt inclined to ruin the surprise : / Like if it would have played a part in enhancing the themes around which the game was so designed, it'd suck for the people for whom the game would be cathartic in some fashion.

Top Bottom