• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II’s big global marketing campaign has begun

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
As a graphics whore, this character model is all I need to get hyped.

GNFD76BaIAMu3DZ

GymWolf

Gold Member
Quick Google search so maybe there's a more up to date or better answer but here's this:
Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II
Dungeons of Hinterberg
Stalker 2: Heart of Chornobyl
Avowed
Ara: History Untold
Towerborne
33 Immortals
Replaced
Sopa
Dead Static Drive
Ark 2
Indiana Jones and the Great Circle
Age of Mythology Retold

So Stalker 2 (if it comes), Avowed, and Indiana Jones.
How the fuck did they forget fable? Arguably the most important exclusive of the bunch.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I would be surprised if it didn’t review well. It’s obvious Xbox still has a relationship with some outlets who will provide some kind of boost to the critical reception like Starfield.

Basically after what’s happened lately they need a PR win and I think this game and certain media folk are going to do just that.

Personally I’d like to see a genuine great game without all the bullshit that’s been going on.
The protagonist is a mentally ill woman, there is no way this thing doesn't resonate well with the modern media.

At the very minimum they are all gonna praise the story, atmosphere and production values.

I can see gameplay centric youtubers demolishing this thing into oblivion tho.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Does it have a release date? I wouldn't be the least surprised if it were reported to go through development hell, etc.
Yeah but still, the game has a certain name value and the guys behind forza are probably the most talented first party that M has between fucking 343 and coalition (not counting the acquired first parties like id etc.)

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yeah but still, the game has a certain name value and the guys behind forza are probably the most talented first party that M has between fucking 343 and coalition (not counting the acquired first parties like id etc.)
You lost me here my friend.

I mean, I like Halo 4 for what they did with the game visually on X360 - god tier job for such an outdated hardware, but they didn't make a single game of their own to be worthy of such praise. Shit, it's been 17 years since they were founded and all they did for all these years was Halo stuff and nothing else, for 17 years, and none of the new games they made were breakout hits or memorable in any way. I am not saying they should be closed or somethin', god forbid, but the way I see it, they're not the best M has when it comes to 1st parties. I'd say there's only The Coalition and no one else at this point.

The saddest part about it all is that MS will never let 343 make what they really want to make, just like Activision did with a lot of their studios. I don't believe for a second that they didn't want to make something other than HALO for at least the last 10 years or so.

Last edited:
It's a feminist mental health game.......who doesn't want to spend a few hours listening to a mad woman talking to herself......I'm sure it will do gangbusters,lol.

"While Sony's last exclusive offers you a shallow and denigrating experience representing women as a can-collecting slut, NT beautifully depicts what it feels like being a brave woman tormented by the maddening echoes of Patriarchy"

GymWolf

Gold Member
You lost me here my friend.

I mean, I like Halo 4 for what they did with the game visually on X360 - god tier job for such an outdated hardware, but they didn't make a single game of their own to be worthy of such praise. Shit, it's been 17 years since they were founded and all they did for all these years was Halo stuff and nothing else, for 17 years, and none of the new games they made were breakout hits or memorable in any way. I am not saying they should be closed or somethin', god forbid, but the way I see it, they're not the best M has when it comes to 1st parties. I'd say there's only The Coalition and no one else at this point.

The saddest part about it all is that MS will never let 343 make what they really want to make, just like Activision did with a lot of their studios. I don't believe for a second that they didn't want to make something other than HALO for at least the last 10 years or so.
I think you got it wrong, i think 343 are mid af, like coalition.

Forza guys are the best devs that M has, and i don't even give a fuck about racing games.

ClosBSAS

Itll sell well on PC, it'll use gamepass on xbox and then it will sell some on ps5. Cause we all know its coming.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm just commenting on a superficial notion from SOME people here that all games supposedly should stick to tropes and caricatures. I for one prefer the three-dimensional "modern" take on mental health over the past 2D trope of everyone sticking out in society was a "crazy person" thus worthless. "Let's throw this person into the mental asylum, surgically remove half their brain and see how long they can survive as a vegetable" used to work well in the past for all the wrong reasons. Point is, Hellblade just told a relatively realistic depiction of how this particular person with this particular mental health issue dealt with this particular story. It's a pretty interesting and fresh no-BS angle for many of us, and it was one of Hellblade's definite strong sides (puzzles and combat, not so much IMO..).

But anyway, yeah: Microsoft is not good at PR, who would've thunk.. Among a lot of competence, there are also a surprising amount of incompetence.

But it's not like they are completely lost. F.ex., Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (one of the best pieces of entertainment/sim software out there IMO) was marketed very efficiently, including even successfully expanding the demographic at a time when all hope in MSFS was non-existent. They've also serviced the sim community extremely well.

So, yeah..

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Here's a take on all this:

Really fucking hard to promote a game about a central female protagonist with mental health issues, when you're a company that's stoked culture war bullshit for so long, and encouraged toxicity on social media.

Not the best environment to avoid controversy with your scaled up AA game, you fuck knuckles.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I think you got it wrong, i think 343 are mid af, like coalition.
Well, now I see that:messenger_beaming:

I don't agree with you when it comes to The Coalition, but let me explain where I am coming from.

I've played Gears 4 first before Gears 5 was released.... and it's just as boring and blad design and combat wise as the first Gears game. It felt like it was their first game ever and that they're stuck somewhere in the late 2000s. I forced myself to beat this game, cuz I don't like the design and combat encounters at all and that's why I won't ever play it again. But then came Gears 5 with much better gunplay, more focus on aggressive combat with more options in what you can do and much better, more open and organic level-design overall. It was such a drastic contrast to the first game they've made that I couldn't believe it was the same team. I mean, it's not perfect and I've some small issues with it, but it's so much better than Gears 4 that they don't even matter. I love this game to death, which I never thought I'd say about a Gears game, ever. The story about Kait and how they showed Marcus and stuff is also a highlight of Gears 5 for me, not to mention that they offered a choice at some point in the story which I never thought I'd see in a Gears game.

Can't wait to play Gears 6, it's my most anticipated MS game after Hellblade II.

Forza guys are the best devs that M has, and i don't even give a fuck about racing games.
I love the 4th Forza Horizon, but I think they can do a lot better and they didn't with the 5th one, which is basically the same as the last one minus better visuals. Idk what to think about Fable, only time will tell, but I hope that they'll capture the magic of both 1st and the 2nd game (the best in the series for me), that is MS will even let them finish it, it'll see the light of the day and won't get cancelled. I hope FH6 will be much different from 4 and 5, I don't want to play basically the same game again, it needs to be different in a lot more ways than one but at the same time retain all the best parts of the series.

Last edited:
I'm just commenting on a superficial notion from SOME people here that all games supposedly should stick to tropes and caricatures. I for one prefer the three-dimensional "modern" take on mental health over the past 2D trope of everyone sticking out in society was a "crazy person" thus worthless. "Let's throw this person into the mental asylum, surgically remove half their brain and see how long they can survive as a vegetable" used to work well in the past for all the wrong reasons. Point is, Hellblade just told a relatively realistic depiction of how this particular person with this particular mental health issue dealt with this particular story. It's a pretty interesting and fresh no-BS angle for many of us, and it was one of Hellblade's definite strong sides (puzzles and combat, not so much IMO..).
I am in the opposite camp.

Gimme Hellblade combat, double the amount and complexity of puzzles, I would gladly play that.

Mental illness, I would rather read about it than experience first hand in a video game.

Sorcerer

Microsoft is probably demanding that Ninja Theory find a way to get Senua in Call of Duty, Gears of War, Fallout 76 and Flight Simulator.

Xbox: We're all about Duty. Wash your hands please!!!

Last edited:

Dazraell

Microsoft is probably demanding that Ninja Theory find a way to get Senua in Call of Duty, Gears of War, Fallout 76 and Flight Simulator.

Xbox: We're all about Duty. Wash your hands please!!!
Plot twist: Voices Senua hears are her shoved in versions from other games lol

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well, now I see that:messenger_beaming:

I don't agree with you when it comes to The Coalition, but let me explain where I am coming from.

I've played Gears 4 first before Gears 5 was released.... and it's just as boring and blad design and combat wise as the first Gears game. It felt like it was their first game ever and that they're stuck somewhere in the late 2000s. I forced myself to beat this game, cuz I don't like the design and combat encounters at all and that's why I won't ever play it again. But then came Gears 5 with much better gunplay, more focus on aggressive combat with more options in what you can do and much better, more open and organic level-design overall. It was such a drastic contrast to the first game they've made that I couldn't believe it was the same team. I mean, it's not perfect and I've some small issues with it, but it's so much better than Gears 4 that they don't even matter. I love this game to death, which I never thought I'd say about a Gears game, ever. The story about Kait and how they showed Marcus and stuff is also a highlight of Gears 5 for me, not to mention that they offered a choice at some point in the story which I never thought I'd see in a Gears game.

Can't wait to play Gears 6, it's my most anticipated MS game after Hellblade II.

I love the 4th Forza Horizon, but I think they can do a lot better and they didn't with the 5th one, which is basically the same as the last one minus better visuals. Idk what to think about Fable, only time will tell, but I hope that they'll capture the magic of both 1st and the 2nd game (the best in the series for me), that is MS will even let them finish it, it'll see the light of the day and won't get cancelled. I hope FH6 will be much different from 4 and 5, I don't want to play basically the same game again, it needs to be different in a lot more ways than one but at the same time retain all the best parts of the series.
Good for you dude, i thought gears 4 was kinda terrible but somehow i managed to finish it but i didn't lasted more than 2 acts in gears 5 even if it is probably a better game than 4, the samey-ness got in pretty quickly.

The new cast is dogshit and i don't care about the general plot at all, the gunplay hasn't improved enough and i never really liked the gunplay of the gears games that much (not the mechanics like aim, cover etc. But the part when bullets actually hit enemies etc.), i really dislike their gore system and the open world section in 5 was terrible, and i'm a dude that would buy a dry horse shit if it's wrapped in an open world.
Also, and i can't stress this enough, i think the locusts and all their cast of enemies with very few exception like the brumak or the explosive archer that are kinda iconic are some of the lamest enemies in gaming history and i particularly care about charismatic\quality enemies in a game.
They were fine in the first gears that i still consider the best game in the franchise by far, but not good enough for 6 fucking games.

I have zero hype for g6 unless they do a gow2018 overhaul, but i have no faith in coalition to do any of this and to double down with fucking kat :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Banjo64 Banjo64
Funny as fuck mate. Just as I was entering the thread. I thought it would be hilarious if all it was, was the 6 second vid they tweeted the other day. Literally just 6 seconds. It's almost as though they don't want to show anyone the game...
Now why would that be.
Will Smith Reaction GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Banjo64 Banjo64
Funny as fuck mate. Just as I was entering the thread. I thought it would be hilarious if all it was, was the 6 second vid they tweeted the other day. Literally just 6 seconds. It's almost as though they don't want to show anyone the game...
Now why would that be.
Will Smith Reaction GIF

When you think of marketing, what comes to your mind?

Like, what are they not doing that you think they should.

They're already doing hands-on previews, ads on youtube, TV services etc. Are you looking for giant adverts on the sides of busses?

Legit question.

StereoVsn

They're already doing hands-on previews, ads on youtube, TV services etc. Are you looking for giant adverts on the sides of busses?

Legit question.
I think folks are surprised it’s coming in so late.

On the other hand, this isn’t really a game that can carry Xbox software division. At the end it’s going to be a fairly niche title.

I also think there is going to be a lot of unrealistic pressure for the game to be a blockbuster on MS side.

saintjules

I think the point is that Hellblade 2 is supposed to be a big deal for Xbox being an exclusive, yet Xbox are doing fuck all outside of this tweet to promote it.

Not only that, it was the first game revealed alongside the Series X at TGA 2019. I'd hope to be a big deal to some extent.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Good for you dude, i thought gears 4 was kinda terrible but somehow i managed to finish it but i didn't lasted more than 2 acts in gears 5 even if it is probably a better game than 4, the samey-ness got in pretty quickly.

The new cast is dogshit and i don't care about the general plot at all, the gunplay hasn't improved enough and i never really liked the gunplay of the gears games that much (not the mechanics like aim, cover etc. But the part when bullets actually hit enemies etc.), i really dislike their gore system and the open world section in 5 was terrible, and i 'm dude that would buy a dry horse shit if it's wrapped in an open world.
Also, and i can't stress this enough, i think the locusts and all their cast of enemies with very few exception like the brumak or the explosive archer that are kinda iconic are some of the lamest enemies in gaming history and i particularly care about charismatic\quality enemies in a game.
They were fine in the first gears that i still consider the best game in the franchise by far, but not good enough for 6 fucking games.

I have zero hype for g6 unless they do a gow2018 overhaul, but i have no faith in coalition to do any of this and to double down with fucking kat :lollipop_squinting:
I don't agree with a lot of your points but yes, I also think that after Gears 6 the next game must be completely different story-wise as well as in terms of gameplay. We'll see if MS will even let that happen, but somehow I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Legit question.
A month ago I saw some short preview footage. Since then I haven't seen anything new. And then we had a tweet saying they'd be going all in, with just a 6 second trailer. Maybe I just dont sub to the right channels anymore.... they could've released a demo, that'd get some interest for sure. And gameplay feedback would have definitely got onto my radar...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think folks are surprised it’s coming in so late.

On the other hand, this isn’t really a game that can carry Xbox software division. At the end it’s going to be a fairly niche title.

I also think there is going to be a lot of unrealistic pressure for the game to be a blockbuster on MS side.

Yes, the one thing I'll agree with is that the marketing is pretty late but looks like they're doing about the game thing most games would in terms of adverts etc.

A month ago I saw some short preview footage. Since then I haven't seen anything new. And then we had a tweet saying they'd be going all in, with just a 6 second trailer. Maybe I just dont sub to the right channels anymore.... they could've released a demo, that'd get some interest for sure. And gameplay feedback would have definitely got onto my radar...

They're going all the usual stuff most games would, tv/social media ads, and we did have hands on previews a few days ago too.

GNGQ8ZCbAAAACwf
'

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Maybe instead of buying ABK, they should better fund their games and not send them to die with poor marketing and quite frankly lower standards of quality.

Top Bottom