• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers looks like it will be part of March PS+ Lineup

EDIT

The game will not be a plus game afterall

It will be a part of the spring fever promotion run by Sony Instead.

From Reddit

Considering that the blog post did not mention a price tag (as it usually does), and that it's coming out on the first Tuesday of the month, I'll say there is a chance that it's gonna be part of the March PS+ lineup. A welcome addition if true.

Here is a reply from ArrowheadGS.

Well we didn't want to ruin the surprise and announce everything at once...! You need something else to look forward to ;)

Just for helpfulnesses sake, here's confrmation since I am too lazy at the moment to request a developer flair: http://arrowheadgamestudios.com/contact/
But anyway, we really appreciate all the fans and people like you who show support for the game and all the work which we do. We really, really are grateful that we are able to make something that we are passionate about and we ourselves love, and to be able to share that with other people is awesome.

Being a small studio we often have to sacrifice more than the big names to get a game released on time. The guys at the studios here often work weekends and there is no one more disappointed than us when a game's release is pushed back. We are only human - we get colds, have families, emergencies etc.
But we have to ask ourselves: "Would the players like a fully polished, finished game to play, or would they prefer we released a sub-standard, buggy version which will ultimately lead to even more complaints and possibly unplayable content?". There isn't really much of a choice, is there?

Another thing which people need to take into consideration is small studios like us do not have huge marketing budgets like that of EA etc. These days gamers are spoilt by choice and constant advertising of big game names. Lack of information on games like Helldivers does not automatically mean cancellation, nor is it inended to worry people - it just means we are bound by certain legalities which are unavoidable. We work with what we can and we try to give you what we can.
So once again, thank you for your support. It means a lot.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2vryj2/playstation_on_twitter_prepare_for_war_helldivers/

I am liking the trend of new games debuting as PS+ titles!

atomsk

Party Pooper
Interesting, as a lot of people were speculating it would be White Night, as that's out the same day.

great news for me, but i was ready to throw some money at this game. hopefully the devs get a nice chunk of change for it.

also White Night.

hawk2025

Amazing, PS+ is on fire.

Giving away a (apparently) very hardcore game like this is kind of hilarious, but I selfishly REALLY appreciate it and had this as an instant buy for well over a year now.

LakeEarth

I also noted its release date timing. I wasn't expecting it as it was it was fairly high profile for a digital game. Also, it's the first release of the game, which made me think it was less likely. Outlast was a high-profile game that was PS+ at launch, but it was a PC port.

Ugh always feel weird when a game debuts as PS+, that means no one is buying it on day 1 so how do the developers make any money?

Has any developer provided the statistics or analysis of the sales of games that debuted as PS+? Clearly, there must be a net positive or then developers wouldn't let their games be free for the launch time.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Yusssshhhhhhh.
I love when PS+ gives me games I was going to buy in the first place.
Makes the excruciating wait more than worth it.
Ha trick question. Indie games aren't real games. Thus no games that are top down twin stick shooters have been given out for free.
Ahahahaha.

Ugh always feel weird when a game debuts as PS+, that means no one is buying it on day 1 so how do the developers make any money?

Has any developer provided the statistics or analysis of the sales of games that debuted as PS+? Clearly, there must be a net positive or then developers wouldn't let their games be free for the launch time.

Sony pays them. Whether it be a fixed price or a reduced price per copy downloaded is probably up to whatever deal they struck.

shem935

Banned
How many free games have been given out that are top down twin stick shooters?

Ha trick question. Indie games aren't real games. Thus no games that are top down twin stick shooters have been given out for free.

/s in case it wasn't obvious.

Interesting

I can't say I'm ecstatic about this news, though, because I wasn't blown away at E3. It was alright.

Too difficult, too.

Awesome! Will be downloading Day 1 and getting some co-op action going! Can't wait. Was looking forward to this last summer, but delays happened... still as excited as I was last summer!

hawk2025

How many free games have been given out that are top down twin stick shooters?

Dead Nation
Secret Ponchos (...if you want to count that)

I believe that's it, out of 30 total PS+ titles so far.

Edit: I gueeesssss Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate could also count, even though it's in actual gameplay a small part of the game?
Let's give that the benefit of the doubt. So around 10% of the PS+ games so far have been twin stick shooters -- very, very different ones: A multiplayer-only game, an adventure-exploration one, and a more classic horde-of-enemies twin stick shooter.

I don't see any issues there.

In this case Sony funded the game but i would like to know what sony offer. Transistor going to PS+ was pretty crazy.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Dead Nation
Secret Ponchos (...if you want to count that)

I believe that's it, out of 30 total PS+ titles so far.

Edit: I gueeesssss Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate could also count, even though it's in actual gameplay a small part of the game?

Also Binding of Isaac. But I was actually thinking in total across the systems.

Edit: And I guess Resogun counts if Pixeljunk Shooter counts? That's 1/6th the collection, before counting this. I just thought it was funny because I remember when Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 came out on PSN and I snatched it immediately because I hadn't played a game like that since Cannon Spike. Now they're in abundance.

tusken77

Hell yeah! Starship Troopers Smile.

tumblr_lzgjsg9I351qzqap2o1_500.gif

Apathy

Well Sony pays for every download. And there have been indie developers that have done PS+ on release release multiple times so it must work for them. That being said, I'm pretty sure this isa Sony owned IP and their property just developed by arrowhead so the developer got paid already.

Well Sony pays for every download. And there have been indie developers that have done PS+ on release release multiple times so it must work for them. That being said, I'm pretty sure this isa Sony owned IP and their property just developed by arrowhead so the developer got paid already.

I would think developers would be clamoring to get into the IGC. if it's based on downloads then you have so many potential sales it would insane to refuse the offer.

VanWinkle

Also Binding of Isaac. But I was actually thinking in total across the systems.

Edit: And I guess Resogun counts if Pixeljunk Shooter counts? That's 1/6th the collection, before counting this. I just thought it was funny because I remember when Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 came out on PSN and I snatched it immediately because I hadn't played a game like that since Cannon Spike. Now they're in abundance.

Resogun definitely wouldn't count since you only shoot left or right. I wouldn't really consider Pixeljunk one either since shooting enemies isn't really a focus.

Sony pays them. Whether it be a fixed price or a reduced price per copy downloaded is probably up to whatever deal they struck.

Obviously they get money from Sony for putting their game on PS+.

Also not everyone has a PS+ sub...

In this case Sony funded the game but i would like to know what sony offer. Transistor going to PS+ was pretty crazy.

Thanks for the info. I guess it's not so bad. What's the maths on if a game gets 1 million downloads if Sony is paying some part of each copy? Many developers on Steam are pretty open in how their game's post-launch have gone and reveal data about Steam sales, times of the year, and that stuff. Would like to know if a developer has done similar analysis for their game on PSN that had PS+. If not, I'd like to see that in the future.

VanWinkle

Thanks for the info. I guess it's not so bad. What's the maths on if a game gets 1 million downloads if Sony is paying some part of each copy? Many developers on Steam are pretty open in how their game's post-launch have gone and reveal data about Steam sales, times of the year, and that stuff. Would like to know if a developer has done similar analysis for their game on PSN that had PS+. If not, I'd like to see that in the future.

We don't know what devs get paid. And I would guess it varies based on the game, the timing of release, and other variables.

Apathy

I would think developers would be clamoring to get into the IGC. if it's based on downloads then you have so many potential sales it would insane to refuse the offer.

Well it depends on the strength the game has to sell at the start based on what the publisher thinks. If it has the potential to sell a lot at full price vs what they could get from PS+ plus the fact that they could put it on plus later on after the big initial purchasing and let's not forget I would imagine Sony also has to say that they also want the game as a plus game.

Sony pays them. It's not a charity operation.

Top Bottom