• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

linkboy

About the folders not showing up on your PC that is the first time I heard about this, did you retry after shutting down the pstv and restarting it? the unsafe mode will carry on.

I had a similar issue when I was backing my activation files up. I copied the files to a folder I have on my Vita card and they wouldn't show up in Windows. No matter what I did, I couldn't see those files.

I had to FTP into my Vita to copy them over.

Was a minor annoyance, but it worked.

wetalo

I had a similar issue when I was backing my activation files up. I copied the files to a folder I have on my Vita card and they wouldn't show up in Windows. No matter what I did, I couldn't see those files.

I had to FTP into my Vita to copy them over.

Was a minor annoyance, but it worked.

I believe if you learn the filepath and type the folder path directly into explorer, it'll get there. But you can't browse to it through explorer, you gotta know the folder path.

Dark Rider

I suspect the problem is that people let windows have hidden files + system files be.. well hidden so what you need to do is to change that so windows display hidden files and system files in the file explorer

I was planning on ordering an SD2VITA soon, but was wondering if I could use that card with the music app. I currently use my PSN Vita as a music player along with all my games, but it would be nice to use all that on my homebrew Vita to save space on my 64GB card.

Sulla1980

I suspect the problem is that people let windows have hidden files + system files be.. well hidden so what you need to do is to change that so windows display hidden files and system files in the file explorer

I thought so too, but I am not sure. When I put it in USB mode and open the file explorer in Windows, I start in ux0 and cannot go up a level to see the other directories.

Dark Rider

I thought so too, but I am not sure. When I put it in USB mode and open the file explorer in Windows, I start in ux0 and cannot go up a level to see the other directories.

Maybe because the USB mode is basically mounting ux0 as your "USB" output to the PC? I guess we need to ask the developer about that.

I was wondering, has anything been said in regards to playing games that require an higher firmware? Is it all possible, or is being worked on?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I was wondering, has anything been said in regards to playing games that require an higher firmware? Is it all possible, or is being worked on?

Not possible at the moment and, AFAIK, there's no public effort to make them playable. Dunno if anyone is working behind the curtains to solve this issue.

I was secretely hoping that HENkaku Enso would behave like Luma on 3DS, so once it was installed on a 3.60 Vita, the system could be updated to a newer firmware but the vulnerability would be kept intact. But alas...

Canklestank

Neo Member
I was planning on ordering an SD2VITA soon, but was wondering if I could use that card with the music app. I currently use my PSN Vita as a music player along with all my games, but it would be nice to use all that on my homebrew Vita to save space on my 64GB card.

I don't see why not. The Vita thinks the SD card is just a Vita memory card, so it shouldn't behave any differently. If you can run games off it, music shouldn't be a problem at all. The only reason it wouldn't work is if Sony requires you to be on the latest firmware or connected to the internet to use the Music app. I doubt that's the case.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Sorry for Double Post, but new news, new post?

theFlow tweeted this:

I'm going to work on a Adrenaline that can be installed as vpk and doesn't require activation in September. Cause my exams start next week

Good news for people who lost activation and don't have a backup.

is there a way to install pkg with no extra space?

eg: I have 3GB free, and the pgk is 2.5GB, is there a way to install it remotely? or with something that install-delete at the same time?

is there a way to install pkg with no extra space?

eg: I have 3GB free, and the pgk is 2.5GB, is there a way to install it remotely? or with something that install-delete at the same time?
I believe there was a way, but I'm not sure how to find it. Essentially you had to move the files on their own to the right folder, and then you'd need a small installation file.

Fahro

Is it still possible to upgrade an older vita to 3:60 and apply HENKaku? I was on vacation but read earlier that Sony doesn’t sign tho old firmware 3.60 anymore :-(

Darknight

Is it still possible to upgrade an older vita to 3:60 and apply HENKaku? I was on vacation but read earlier that Sony doesn’t sign tho old firmware 3.60 anymore :-(

Cant you use PC to install a specific FW with the custom transfer PC app? I forgot what its called but its to transfer media to Vita.

Also is OFW 3.18 worth anything these days or is 3.60+Henkaku the best?

If I recall, 3.18 let you use some PSP emulation + some native emulators BUT i think it was a pain in the ass to get set up.

I'm at a crossroad of sorts. I've held onto 3.60 since Henkaku was announced, because I feel like being able to hack the Vita will be good in the long term to help keep functionality for it when the PSN store inevitably goes away or something. SD2Vita for example seems like a great innovation if it actually allows one to use a microSD card in the Vita, since I can finally just have several memory cards full of my games instead of still having to juggle things on my 64gb Vita card (I also have an older 32gb card but switching between cards is kind of complicated right?).

However as a result of having to turn off all online functionality and needing to go through a slow and arduous transfer process between my PS3 and Vita to download new games or switch between old ones, I've basically just stopped playing my Vita entirely. I still have a lot of game to get through, but it's difficult to motivate myself when it is such a hassle to worry about keeping FW 3.60 all of the time. What's worse is that I can't play any of the new Vita games, even if they are scarce. Games like DQ Builders, Ys Origin (when it comes out), Danganronpa V3, Undertale (even if I already played it when it came out on PC) all have caught my eye, but I can't play them unless I update.

Even games I own, like Trails of Cold Steel 1 (and also Trails in the Sky 1 & 2) I haven't really played any of in part because of the stress of keeping FW 3.60, even though I can technically play them if I juggle some memory around with my PS3. Basically, I've avoided using any hacks because I am worried that it will leave unremovable traces of tampering that Sony could punish later (I have heard of some people being banned at this point), and also because currently I don't really have any interest or need in hacks, but I'm worried that if I update the FW now I'll regret it when Sony pulls the plug and I can never officially buy many Vita games.

I've even considered selling my 3.60 Vita and switching to a new plain one because maybe then I'd get some kind of profit for waiting around on updating, but I don't think I'd get any worthwhile profit and most would have to be spent getting the other Vita. Plus I don't really want to sell my Vita, since I've been with it all this time.

Edit:

BTW, is SD2Vita really capable of converting any microSD to a Vita memory card? If so that is very impressive, but I assume it only works if Henkaku and other hacks are installed right? It also is probably not that reliable, and is likely to die more quickly than a normal Vita memory card I bet.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Cant you use PC to install a specific FW with the custom transfer PC app? I forgot what its called but its to transfer media to Vita.

Also is OFW 3.18 worth anything these days or is 3.60+Henkaku the best?

If I recall, 3.18 let you use some PSP emulation + some native emulators BUT i think it was a pain in the ass to get set up.

There is zero reason to not upgrade to 3.60 and stay on 3.18 for Revitalize.

TheContact

Got cwcheat installed in adrenaline. I've always dreamed of having a PSP CFW on the vita with cwcheat and it is now a reality. I love this vita.

But I'm having trouble with trying to emulate ff6. Tried the snes version with snes9x emulator and even the gba version with mgba and they all have sound issues. Anyone know how to fix ?

But I'm having trouble with trying to emulate ff6. Tried the snes version with snes9x emulator and even the gba version with mgba and they all have sound issues. Anyone know how to fix ?

There's no fix, both GBA and SNES emulation are not full-speed. You could always play the PSone version if you feel like living dangerously/hate yourself.

I'm at a crossroad of sorts. I've held onto 3.60 since Henkaku was announced, because I feel like being able to hack the Vita will be good in the long term to help keep functionality for it when the PSN store inevitably goes away or something. SD2Vita for example seems like a great innovation if it actually allows one to use a microSD card in the Vita, since I can finally just have several memory cards full of my games instead of still having to juggle things on my 64gb Vita card (I also have an older 32gb card but switching between cards is kind of complicated right?).

However as a result of having to turn off all online functionality and needing to go through a slow and arduous transfer process between my PS3 and Vita to download new games or switch between old ones, I've basically just stopped playing my Vita entirely. I still have a lot of game to get through, but it's difficult to motivate myself when it is such a hassle to worry about keeping FW 3.60 all of the time. What's worse is that I can't play any of the new Vita games, even if they are scarce. Games like DQ Builders, Ys Origin (when it comes out), Danganronpa V3, Undertale (even if I already played it when it came out on PC) all have caught my eye, but I can't play them unless I update.

Even games I own, like Trails of Cold Steel 1 (and also Trails in the Sky 1 & 2) I haven't really played any of in part because of the stress of keeping FW 3.60, even though I can technically play them if I juggle some memory around with my PS3. Basically, I've avoided using any hacks because I am worried that it will leave unremovable traces of tampering that Sony could punish later (I have heard of some people being banned at this point), and also because currently I don't really have any interest or need in hacks, but I'm worried that if I update the FW now I'll regret it when Sony pulls the plug and I can never officially buy many Vita games.

I've even considered selling my 3.60 Vita and switching to a new plain one because maybe then I'd get some kind of profit for waiting around on updating, but I don't think I'd get any worthwhile profit and most would have to be spent getting the other Vita. Plus I don't really want to sell my Vita, since I've been with it all this time.

Edit:

BTW, is SD2Vita really capable of converting any microSD to a Vita memory card? If so that is very impressive, but I assume it only works if Henkaku and other hacks are installed right? It also is probably not that reliable, and is likely to die more quickly than a normal Vita memory card I bet.

I'm exactly at this crossroads, except instead of "stay at 3.60, upgrade and forget emulators, sell and buy a 3.63", my options would be "stay at 3.60, upgrade and forget emulators, buy a 3.63 and keep both". I even have the 32 Gb card I used before upgrading to 64 Gb, so that would be painless; also, this way I could conceivable play multiplayer games with the missus (although I can't think of any that she likes, and we'd need a second copy, so that's probably not happening).

But yeah, it's kind of counterintuitive that I'm playing the Vita much less than I did. I even have Darkest Dungeon, Slain and possibly more that I bought but can't yet play, not to mention things like Salt and Sanctuary that I would buy. To be fair, I'm commuting much less lately too, but still.

Is there any way to recover data from a vita 64gb card?

What do you mean ?

A dead card that doesn't mount in a Vita isn't going to be recoverable without a lot of hardware knowledge because of Sony's proprietary format and encryption, you'd have to build some kind of custom reader , connect it to a PC over something and then salvage the data you could read and try and decrypt it. I cannot imagine this being remotely possible for the vast majority of people and it would likely take weeks even for those who could.

If you mean just to decrypt the contents and transfer them off a living card yeah, you can easily backup to PS3 / PC though the transfer speed is agonizingly slow and then back to something else, or if you have an SD2VITA and are on 3.60 copying to the SD slot is pretty easy too.

Finally got around to updating Henkaku and then to Enso, no problems. I decided to order a Vita2SD adaptor, so thought I better get everything up to date ready for it to arrive. It's great having Henkaku permanent, without having to load it everytime and it will be awesome to be able to put everything on 1 large capacity microSD, instead of swapping 32GB Vita cards.

Also finally installed adrenaline too, currently playing GT2. Had a slight issue with installing the game, as windows wouldn't show the pspemu folder but I had to enable "Show hidden folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" so windows could see it and allow me to install games.

Joey Ravn

Banned
For those who have Henkaku and a hacked N3DS,which do you prefer to use for emulation?

Vita for PSX and PSP.

New 3DS XL for GBA, SNES, GBC, GBA, etc.

Though lately I've been playing everything "retro" on RetroArch PC with a Pokken Tournament pad. That thing is fucking fantastic for retro emulation (aka anything that doesn't use analog sticks).

horkrux

Depends on the system to emulate, really. Nintendo Systems on 3DS because of VC injection, PS1 stuff on Vita for obvious reasons.

linkboy

Well, I think I'm screwed.

Was setting my my SD2Vita adapter and now whenever I boot the system with any of my Vita cards in it, it just boots to the format card screen, restarts and asks to format the card again.

I can't get it to read my SD2Vita, so I can't boot off of that, and I can't get my Vita card backup onto a Vita Memory Card to run VitaShell.

I've got no idea what to do :(

Well, I think I'm screwed.

Was setting my my SD2Vita adapter and now whenever I boot the system with any of my Vita cards in it, it just boots to the format card screen, restarts and asks to format the card again.

I can't get it to read my SD2Vita, so I can't boot off of that, and I can't get my Vita card backup onto a Vita Memory Card to run VitaShell.

I've got no idea what to do :(
try rebuilding/restoring or whatever the option is. Do a bit of research, but you reach that menu by holding the power button for an eternity and two.

linkboy

try rebuilding/restoring or whatever the option is. Do a bit of research, but you reach that menu by holding the power button for an eternity and two.

Well, I managed to get the MicroSD adapter to work, but I lost everything (even with a backup).

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to set everything back up. At least the card is working, so that's a huge plus.

Looks like I lost my PSP/PS1 games (which is really all I used my Vita for) since I don't have any backups and can't download anything from PSN due to the Sony block, which means I can't get a PSP game to use as a base for Adrenaline.

This sucks, hopefully someone can figure out what Sony is doing to block PSN access and get spoofing working again.

ETA - This may be of interest to some people: http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-sd2vita-boards-with-plastic-casing.480195/page-2#post-7507068

(Pictures of SD2Vita adaptors with proper shells)

does PS3 to Vita transfer
work on 3.60?

Probably not anymore. The transfer should verify your activation data on both consoles by going online and that should get your 3.60 Vita deactivated. If someone has their 3.60 console activation details all backed up they could try putting the Vita offline and checking (they can just reactivate it if it does get nuked).

If you've got a clean Vita on the same account though you can always use one of the homebrew Vita management tools to restore from PC backups though (consoles on the same account use the same encryption for their backups).

Well, I managed to get the MicroSD adapter to work, but I lost everything (even with a backup).

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to set everything back up. At least the card is working, so that's a huge plus.

Looks like I lost my PSP/PS1 games (which is really all I used my Vita for) since I don't have any backups and can't download anything from PSN due to the Sony block, which means I can't get a PSP game to use as a base for Adrenaline.

This sucks, hopefully someone can figure out what Sony is doing to block PSN access and get spoofing working again.

Adrenaline Easy Installer has an option to put a PSP bubble on the Vita, I used that to install Adrenaline on my Vita without a PSP game.

Dark Rider

Im fairly sure this still requires activation. It used to, for sure.
actually, that poster might have an account activated. not sure.

You can install the game bubble all right (it is not a full game just a bubble) but after that if you try to use it to install adrenaline the process will fail because of the missing activation files. So yes anyone who installed adrenaline so far had an activated vita that is for sure.

For people who does not have an activated vita at the moment don't worry theflow (adrenaline developer) have gone on record and stated that he will make a vpk version of adrenaline that does not require activation, so sit tight and wait.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

Woah, great! Just as I wanted to factory-reset my old Vita to get rid of all traces of my main account (I got a 2nd Vita to use it, and it has a 64gb card filled with PSN games... I reaaaally don't want to get it banned).

I assumed my original activation files would be somehow linked to that account, so it's probably safer to use this activator in my case?

Top Bottom