• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey look! Another Sports guy uses a [racial] slur! This time: Bill Parcells!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

"You've got to keep an eye on those two, because they're going to try to get the upper hand," Parcells said about quarterbacks coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. "Mike wants the defense to do well, and Sean, he's going to have a few ... no disrespect for the Orientals, but what we call Jap plays. OK. Surprise things."

After a murmur in the room of reporters, which included a Japanese journalist, Parcells repeated, "No disrespect to anyone."

"Bill Parcells is a brilliant coach," John Tateishi of the Japanese-American Citizen's League, a national civil rights group told DallasNews.com. "Unfortunately, he is ignorant about racial slurs. I take great offense by what he said. Parcells ought to know better. He sorely needs more education on what is offensive and non-offensive to Japanese-Americans. I am shocked that he would say this."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1817592

What is it with sports people and slurs of any sort (gay, jap plays, etc)? It's like a day can't go by without a sports guy using some sort of slur to make ESPN headlines [insert :rolleyes smiley]

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I was going to post this myself in the NFL thread.

I love how he's going to get away with one disrespectful thing ("the Orientals") because the next words out of his mouth were flat-out stupid :p

belgurdo

Banned
I can't even fathom in my mind why a surprise strategy would be called a "Jap play." And "orientals?" He living in 1954 or something?

belgurdo said:
I can't even fathom in my mind why a surprise strategy would be called a "Jap play." And "orientals?" He living in 1954 or something?

Probably originates from the Pearl Harbor attack, which was a suprise.

Not to back him up, but he's pretty old school. I'm sure he'll take back his comment. I don't think the Dallas Cowboys put their players and staff through sensitivity course. This stuff gets posted cause it causes controversy, which means more people log-in, watch, whatever... Football players aren't paid to think. It's not a free pass, but it shouldn't shock anyone.

Did we forget about Junior Seau's new one? PTI covered it today.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Matlock said:
Pfft, it's politically incorrect, but I doubt he means harm by it.

Racial slurs in any form simply should not be tolerated. That's not politcal correctness, that's being respectfull of other races, colors, creeds, etc.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
DarienA said:
Racial slurs in any form simply should not be tolerated. That's not politcal correctness, that's being respectfull of other races, colors, creeds, etc.

Yep. Doesn't matter if he MEANT harm by it or not -- the fact is, he said it. It was really stupid of him to say it, and sad that he would even think to.

It's 2004 -- it's a shame some people still act like it's 40-50 years ago. We should be beyond this.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Meh this is nothing...
Heres what you need to look out for:

ron%20atkinson.jpg

"Marcel Desailly is a lazy fucking nigger"

That was live on air.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Rule of thumb... if you have to say "no disrespect" then you are going to say something disrespectful....

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
After a murmur in the room of reporters, which included a Japanese journalist, Parcells repeated, "No disrespect to anyone."
I always find it funny when people say something like that. It's up other people whether they'll feel offended. Just adding "no offence" or "no disrespect to anyone" at the end of a sentence is going to make what you said okay. People are going to be pissed off regardless.

Matlock

Banned
Some of you guys are forgetting that in some places, discussion involving racial slurs is a common thing. Barbershops, front porches, even football fields. To use a term in some places like "jewed" or "japped" or something of the like is a common occurrence. For example:

"I got Jewed on that car repair!"

Now, it isn't neccessarily a conscious effort to debase the Jewish community, but it's a learned term for a specific play.

In this case, they used a term that referred to another thing, and it looks like he really wasn't thinking when he said it. A PR nightmare, but a sign of a racist man? Naw.

Ease back on the sensitivity, guys, it'll do you some good.

andthebeatgoeson

Matlock said:
Some of you guys are forgetting that in some places, discussion involving racial slurs is a common thing. Barbershops, front porches, even football fields. To use a term in some places like "jewed" or "japped" or something of the like is a common occurrence. For example:

Now, it isn't neccessarily a conscious effort to debase the Jewish community, but it's a learned term for a specific play.

In this case, they used a term that referred to another thing, and it looks like he really wasn't thinking when he said it. A PR nightmare, but a sign of a racist man? Naw.

Ease back on the sensitivity, gus, it'll do you some good.
Yeah, this still is America. The really racist guy was the guy who called me up in college to ask me if us 'n*ggers were taking over?' in the middle of the night (I went to a historically black school). This isn't a shock.

Ghost said:
Meh this is nothing...
Heres what you need to look out for:

ron%20atkinson.jpg

"Marcel Desailly is a lazy fucking nigger"

That was live on air.

Yeah but he thought he was off air and it was only on arab television that anyone heard it.

Still he did resign over it.

I don't find the term jap offensive, justs sounds like a word to use when your too lazy to say Japanese. Although I can't say ive ever used it. I'm now a lazy speaker i guess :p

Matlock said:

Ease back on the sensitivity, guys, it'll do you some good.

It's still a racial slur. You can't let one person get away with it and then get pissed when the next guy comes and says the samething but doesn't tag "No offense no offense" to it. Simply put, if you know it could be seen as offensive to some (and he clearly did) then don't say it.

Matlock

Banned
That's why some people take a little thing called "intent" into play. :p

Skinny: Did you say "Damn straight!" in reply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom