• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden things left on videogames

Ronin

Theres an incomplete version of Paris that got cut from THPS3.

paris_incomplete_big.jpg

shuri

Banned
One of the front mission SFC game had a hidden soundclip of a very ultra low quality voice sample going "Die Niggers, burn in hell" or something like thjat. You can hear it using one of the many many applications that can extract sound effects from the dump of your original copy you own, of course.

Red Scarlet

He beat the game afterward, you don't need the Varia suit (Flaaghra is replaced by the ghosts for the artifact).

The red sky as you land on Zebes was neat looking in Super Metroid, but game genie only.

Wasn't there a game genie code in Goldeneye to play as that other Bonds?

Gazunta

There was a "hidden" level in Super Mario World accessible only via an Action Replay. It was a standard level filled with coins and some enemies. I guess it was basically just there as a "sandbox" for the developers to play with.

I remember John_tv had a coronary when I told him about that :)

aku:jiki

Naked Shuriken said:
One of the front mission SFC game had a hidden soundclip of a very ultra low quality voice sample going "Die Niggers, burn in hell" or something like thjat. You can hear it using one of the many many applications that can extract sound effects from the dump of your original copy you own, of course.
That's the best one I know about. It's actually sped-up in the ROM so you have to rip it out and slow it down in the audio software of your choice, if I recall correctly.

It's incredibly strange, and talks about burning someone's building down, but it's spoken by someone with a slight british accident. (Which of course makes it even stranger since the game, obviously, is japanese.)

Someone really needs to find the programmers and ask them about it.

Hellraizah

This was hidden in Metal Slug 5 for Neo Geo MVS and AES
pow1.gif

pow2.gif

pow3.gif

huge_turtle.gif

turtle_example.png

RealFinalBoss.gif

shaman.gif

carSlug1.gif

carSlug2.gif

Thanks, to Setsuna1982 at neo-geo.com for that find. I think they reconstructed the part from the rom

turtle.png

Culex

Banned
One odd glitch I remember is in Super Mario 64, you can take the cannon outside the castle, shoot out, use the flying cap and run straight up the tower wall. You then fall inside the castle and it's all glitchy, but cool nonetheless.

Senretsu

Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears have very extensive debug developer rooms (complete with NPC's saying jokes from debuggers to each other), visit any scene from the games with any character and items, etc. need a gameshark and the codes aren't the easies to do, involves turning it off at some point.

Is it true that There's a hidden room in Zelda: A link to the past in the sanctuary?

Jado

Banned
I think you're referring to Chris Houlihan's Secret Room in the SNES version of Zelda: ALttP. Some kid won a Nintendo Power contest and got a secret room with rupees and a secret message put into the game. According to some FAQs and fansites, the first reported case of anyone finding it came several years after the game was already out and it wasn't common knowledge until widespread use of the Internet. Most people can never find it because even the easiest way to find it (there are multiple ways, some confirmed, others rumored) involves speed dashing out of the Sanctuary through a specific number of directions on the map (kind of like the Lost Woods but on a larger scale), then running into a bush containing a castle secret passage. Except after doing it correctly it takes you into the Secret Room instead.

Anyway... I remember Perfect Dark had that cheese left behind.

Sonic 2's level select and debug mode had a song in song test that I never heard anywhere in the game. I remember scouring every stage and bonus stage trying to see if I could find out where it was from. Then I read years later about the Hidden Palace only accessible through Game Genie, Sonic 2 beta Zones not in Sonic 2.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
as mentioned, theres the flamethrower in halo. heres also the gravity gun (dont recal if that was actually the official name or not) and the engineers.

pgr2 had the music files for the cities that would later be DLC, including kroq, the la based station for the long beach tracks.

gblues

Banned
How in God's name did this thread get to 2 pages with nobody mentioning all the dummy items in Final Fantasy II on the SNES (FF4j)?

Nathan

Don't know if it counts as hidden but in ShenmueII weren't people able to mod it so you could run around the temple seen in the Shenhua-baby flashback?

Also where did the shots the lost village come from?

robot

RuGalz said:
Whoa damn... I wanna see that. :)

Back to topic... Anyone remember the Bloody Roar 3 debug mode fiasco? :)

no but id love to hear it!

and that final fantasy 2 thing - dummy items?

Rlan

Sonic 2's missing stuff was mostly from the prototype copy of the game, although hackers have been able to recreate the levels and sprites inside the final game once they knew what to look for. Hidden Palace Zone was the most complete, plus I think Wood Zone could be a bit viewable.

Sonic 3 had the ability to get some half-finished levels playing, which were then added into Sonic & Knuckles.

I've tried to compile all hidden stuff like this over at my site, Secrets of Sonic Team.

Burning Rangers even had a 2 player VS. Mode at some stage, which could be unlocked.

Naked Shuriken said:

Is there a clip of this somewhere, or a webpage explaining this in more detail? I have the game on my shelf....

FortNinety said:
Better yet, all the extra rooms in the original NES game.

Those aren't extra rooms, for the most part. That's the game interpretting gibberish. Metroid used such a tightly-packed compression system, that even if went out of the data bounds, it could still build a room out of what it found, even if the data wasn't intended as room data.

Let's see, Super Smash Bros and SSBM both have extra announcement voice clips not used in-game... SSBM has a Coffee Shop/Bar test level, and references to an "Ice Top" level that was never put into the game...

Oh, I remember a good one... in Final Fantasy VI, if you use a certain code to get back into Narshe right after you leave (you basically briefly walk through a wall to get past the barrier where the people spot you and chase you out), and work your way up to the mountain battle sequence, Moogles will take the place of the regular cast members for the rest of your game. You also get a bunch of rare items that don't actually exist in-game, several of them opera-themed, like an autograph and so forth.

Chrono Trigger also had several items removed, like a black sword for Crono, and a gun called the Magnum for Lucca that halved enemy HP with every shot.

More along the lines of GTASA, although not quite in the same way, several games have nudity (or stripped down clothing) tricks in them that aren't totally removed, but they're often very hard to access. I had an issue of Tips and Tricks that listed a bunch of them, but let's see... Rings of Power is infamous, there was some pencil game named "Woody" or something for the Sega CD, an army arcade game I'm forgetting, a secret sequence in a Digital Pictures fighting game, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix both had their share (you don't win with a character for 50 rounds by accident, and don't forget how if you beat challenge mode in a specific way, that Virtua Cop character would have still images in less and less clothes)...

Rlan

Ooo! In Ooga Booga for the Dreamcast, there was a special page created to try and stop Piraters from pirating the game. A pirate would pop up and yell out phrases. Unfortunately the game still got pirated through slightly different means, and the originators altered the page to greet you when starting the game. :lol

LakeEarth

Rlan said:
Ooo! In Ooga Booga for the Dreamcast, there was a special page created to try and stop Piraters from pirating the game. A pirate would pop up and yell out phrases. Unfortunately the game still got pirated through slightly different means, and the originators altered the page to greet you when starting the game. :lol
If you copy Fight Club for Xbox, it'll let you play the game but one punch from your opponent will kill you and they're invulnerable.

jenov4

What a great thread! Here's one that I can recall offhand:

Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 for the Dreamcast was actually a Genesis emulator.

If you ripped the GDROM, there were notes from the programmer (Steve Snake?!) which detailed how you can get your own ROMS loaded onto it and everything!

Nate405

Red Scarlet said:
Wasn't there a game genie code in Goldeneye to play as that other Bonds?

I think there was one that would unlock their profile pictures in the character select menu, but their in-game model was just Brosnan.

Ranger X

Gazunta said:
There was a "hidden" level in Super Mario World accessible only via an Action Replay. It was a standard level filled with coins and some enemies. I guess it was basically just there as a "sandbox" for the developers to play with.

I remember John_tv had a coronary when I told him about that :)

I remember falling on some hidden test level in Mario World while i was messing with my Game Genie back then. It was a small level with "test" written in blocks. There was no ennemies but pretty much each block were giving power-ups. Prolly been made for some power-up testing ;)

One of the stranges things I ever saw, and never saw a reference to again, was the Gameboy version of Mortal Kombat 1. Jonny Cage was cut out fo the gameboy version, and Kano from the Game Gear, supposedly from space limitations. But i remember messing aroudn with a Game Genie putting random codes into the game to see what I could do, and ONE code i put in, that I never could duplicate again, made Player 1's name be "Cage", with a mixed combination of Kano and Sonya as a sprite. It was crazy, and some of his moves kinda almost worked right, but I'll be damned if I could ever do it again.

FiRez

Wyzdom said:
I remember falling on some hidden test level in Mario World while i was messing with my Game Genie back then. It was a small level with "test" written in blocks. There was no ennemies but pretty much each block were giving power-ups. Prolly been made for some power-up testing ;)

link

it seems that you need to mod the save file.

Mallrat83

Banned
A really weird thing happened to me one time when I was playing Donkey Kong Country way back in the day. For some reason I kept dying and dying in this level (name escapes me at the moment), and after about maybe my 15th or so death, when I started the stage again there was a barrel cannon that wasn't a part of the level right in front of me. I jumped in and it shot me to the end of the stage. I wonder if this was put in by Rare on purpose in case stupid asses like me just couldn't get through a level? Anyone else ever experience this? I swear it happened!

monkey79

The original Command and Conquer had hidden levels where you fought against raptors and other dinosaurs. You accessed it by going to MS-DOS mode and typing in c&c funpark under the C&C directory then start a new game.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
Materials:

-SuperMario Bros 3 Cartridge and a NES or Nesticle+SMB3 rom.

Doesn´t work:

-SuperMario Bros 3 SNES (SuperMario All-Stars).
-SuperMario Advance 4 (SMB3 GBA).

The first that you need for activate the Lost Levels is to put this code in the GameGenie:

AOZULT.

The game will start like a normal game but with a map a little different but if you press A in the Start square of the map you can enter to one of the lost levels, similar to the 4-2 level in the same game, but this lost level has a trap, you cannot finish it because it is a bucle.

Lost%20Levels%20(Final)%20(SMB3%20Hack)%20mapa.GIF

But this isn´t the only level that you can get on this special map, you have a variation of the first world with eleven levels (but I recommend you that avoid the start square and use the cloud on the level 6 because is the second infinite level).

http://www.retrones.com/Articulos/Niveles%20perdidos%20de%20SMB%203%20parte%202/Lost%20Levels%20(Final)%20(SMB3%20Hack)%20mapa.GIF[⁄img]

After you have pass this secret world you will go to the normal Desert World.

RuGalz

robot said:
no but id love to hear it!

and that final fantasy 2 thing - dummy items?

Well in the very first batch of Japanese version of Bloody Roar 3, they accidentally left in full blown debug mode in the game that you can access by holding L1+R1 press Start at title or something like that. You can see collision data, mess with pose and all that stuff. Needless to say, a lot of pictures of the characters doing naughty things surfaced on the net...

I tried to find info on the "die niggers" Front Mission sound clip but found nothing. I'm still curious about where you guys found out about this.

bjork

Fantasy Zone as a "reward" for taking 100 strokes on a hole in Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf on Genesis was pretty bizarre.

Using the C64 load prompt on an old Apple II copy of... either Oregon Trail or Gemstone Warrior, made a screen appear that was "Optimus Prime and the Green Sock", and all sorts of cuss words scrolled by. We got in trouble when we accidentally stumbled upon this in 5th grade... they thought we made it :lol

yay, I can finally post

anyway, this thread reminds of Ocarina of time and all those rumors and mysteries, like the triforce, the ice/wind medallions, the pyramid in the desert, the beta quest, kakariko village on fire and etc

back in 99 I'd enter dozens of sites dedicated to that and read all the rumors

Spencerr said:
Did anyone ever figure out wtf that book under water in Super Mario Sunshine was?

Nope, and that's always bothered me. Not just the book, but for a while after Sunshine was out, one of the main designers or producers was bragging about some major secret hidden in an out-of-the-way manner (not the Shine Shirt), but after a bit, talk about that just suddenly stopped. I think when the game was rushed, a major extra was axed. Possibly a new sequence? The references to E. Gadd conveniently providing both the water pack and the paint brush/disguise set never sat right with me (Bowser Jr. said it was given to him by a man in a white coat, and FLUDD noticeably reacts to the description), and between this and one or two things you could draw from Luigi's Mansion, Gadd as a sort of "science above both good and evil" protagonist would've been very interesting. But he's obviously not that now, he's helping out with Mario Parties and running coffee shops.

Either way, for reference, here's some pics.

MareBayDoors01.jpg
MareBayDoors02.jpg

MareBayDoors03.jpg
MareBayDoors04.jpg

This structure is located in Mare Bay (I think it was retitled to Noki Bay in the US version). For the... third mission, I believe it was, you go down into a bottle to collect Red Coins. At the very bottom is a building, which at first you ignore as just background detail or dressing. But if you swim down to it, you can see an insetted door that you can't get through. (Shot 1.) Twist the camera around to see behind it, and you see a book that, to my knowledge, you never see anywhere else in the game.

What's creepier is there's a modeled structure inside. It'd be one thing if it was just stuck inside of a regular polygonal object, but not only is there a modeled outside, but an inside pathway as well, at some point you were meant to walk through this structure. Shot 3 is a slot on the other side that looks like an entrance or exit, and shot 4 is an attempt to show that there is an "inside", and not just the normal dead area in the middle of an unimportant polygonal structure.

I fiddled around that area a bit, trying to find ways to get it to open up, or crack the bottle to drain out the water or something, but no luck. Some people have said they got in there, but nothing happens. I assume either a cinema or flag needs to be triggered first to activate it, or (more likely) it was from an idea that was axed late in development. The structure I can see leaving, but why the book? Was it an obscure programmer joke? An issue where deleting it would've caused problems (but why not just set it to not be visible, if you can't delete it)?

Top Bottom