• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on LIfe Steam sales skyrocket alongside PC Game Pass success

feynoob

The fuck is going here with childish insult?
Go fucking play some games kids. Sony or MS dont care about your defending. And it doesnt which game is better.
All you guys do is act like dumb kids.

If You Say So Wow GIF by Barstool Sports

Rhazkul

It's fun. Why don't you understand fun? I mean the gun that just does Morty the whole time is kind of obnoxious but there's a lot more to it than that.

I watched some streams. The game is basically Rick&Morty...which is just as bad. Nihilistic edgy jokes for teens and manchildren. FFS even South Park is funnier (at least SP has some clever societal commentary...not just FART BURP DEATH).

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I watched some streams. The game is basically Rick&Morty...which is just as bad. Nihilistic edgy jokes for teens and manchildren. FFS even South Park is funnier (at least SP has some clever societal commentary...not just FART BURP DEATH).
The game itself is fun though, that’s what I was getting at. The Morty gun is pretty annoying, I agree, because it’s pretty one note and I’ve got plenty of that from Rick and Morty, but slinging around with the grappling hook feels great

Godot25

Banned
It is just because Gamepass hasn't reached its intended critical mass.

Simply said: Many gamers just aren't subbed. This "good" scenario is only possible because gamepass isn't a massive success and a decent part of the gaming population are thankfully resilient to it.

Those sales are definitely not coming from subbed people.
This is quintessential "moving goalposts" type of post.

It's funny, because several people here are mocking every Xbox exec (or devs) who are saying, that having your game in Game Pass is beneficial to sales of games, and when you literally have a proof of that, people will latch on any excuse.

Chukhopops

The more I play it the higher I would rate it, once you unlock the jet pack, the dash attack and a few upgrades it’s a solid 8/10 even as a shooter. Level design is excellent as well.

All it needs really is better AI and more enemy variety.

Green rat checking in here.

Just letting you know I’m actually drowning in games on Game Pass.
Honestly some days I just look at the list and think wow maybe too much isn’t always a good thing. But then I just move on and enjoy the plethora of “free” games.
I agree. There's just way too many games on game pass. I realized very early on you are not even meant to play even half of all releases. There's just way too much.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I am always amazed how awful the taste of the average gamer is. This game couldn't be any more stupid...but what's to expect from a community that buys yearly installments of CoD or FIFA.

Out of interest....what games do you like old high and mighty?

I like films, lots of films. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy a silly comedy movie every now and again.

b0uncyfr0

Im gonna have to revise games i consider playing cause i like to use opencritic - and they really got it wrong on this one. Its prob my 22 GOTY.

It has a 'Fair' rating at 69% and only 41% of critics recommend it. Something aint right here..

Rykan

I am always amazed how awful the taste of the average gamer is. This game couldn't be any more stupid...but what's to expect from a community that buys yearly installments of CoD or FIFA.
The fact that you think that the audience that buys a game like this is the same audience that buys CoD and FIFA speaks volumes.

Wildebeest

The PC port isn't even that good. Horrible fixed FOV and people even reporting that mouse controls don't work for them.

I thought this flopped because of the "silly humor" and constant ramble of guns
I don't know about flop, nor do I care how popular it is. The game can be quite fun, and has a lot of unique traits going for it.

BUT, for me, it gets pretty annoying/irritating really quickly. I can't play this game for more than 30 mins at a time, due to the constant prattling, and the annoying tones used for the voice acting. It's the same reason why I don't enjoy Rick and Morty - too much hyperactive/ADHD senseless chatter, that feels forced and is downright unnecessary. Yes, some of it is witty, but certainly not all of it.

I had such high hopes for this game when I started playing it... Then started losing my mind about an hr in.

Last edited:

damidu

game has huge issues on the “game” side,
humour is fine.
combat is tiresome with brain dead waves upon waves of enemies.
might get better with wider arsenal, but its a complete slog so far.

people are up in arms about 60metacritic.
but feels like a 70 at best. (again so far)

yazenov

Seems like people are starving for any new game in Xbox ecosystem. Happy for the devs!

Yeah, I'm surprised a below-average game with a Metacritic score of 63 is getting so much attention on Xbox. They are really starving for games.

Yeah, I'm surprised a below-average game with a Metacritic score of 63 is getting so much attention on Xbox. They are really starving for games.

For the millionth time, it's also the #1 game on Steam. It's not an Xbox thing. People are connecting with the game and the critic consensus is not lining up with the consumer consensus of this game.

Last edited:

yazenov

For the millionth time, it's also the #1 game on Steam. It's not an Xbox thing. People are connecting with the game and the critic consensus is not lining up with the consumer consensus of this game.

These single-platform weekly charts are meaningless anyways.

Let's see how well this game does on the monthly charts overall such as the NPDs and the monthly Euro charts. That's more indicative of sales success. Oh and before anyone says it might not chart because it's" free" on Gamepass, remember that Gamepass is supposed to increase game sales, according to Phil.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

K-Pop GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
They certainly weren’t lying about it going viral on Tiktok. Some of the top videos have over a million ‘likes’.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

But it’s doing very well on Gamepass, a subscription service that has hundreds of games, with tons of new additions monthly. By definition, most people with GP have ample stuff to play.

Weird thing is, I’m pretty sure you’ve read the thread and seen that it’s also making waves on Steam, PC Gamepass and going viral on social media. You know it’s user ratings on Steam are very, very good.

This just reads like sour grapes.

Last edited:
Great news for the development team. Looks like a lot of effort went into this one! This is one of those games where the reviews will mean very little to anyone who has a passing interest in Roiland’s work.

Great news for the development team. Looks like a lot of effort went into this one! This is one of those games where the reviews will mean very little to anyone who has a passing interest in Roiland’s work.
Right? Hopefully they improve some shit on this game and the next one is better.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I have limited time for games bro. Too busy doing other stuff.

Like posting de-rails?

My only comment here, cause I haven't played it yet, is the sadness I feel seeing VS not having been the #1 Gamepass game. Y'all ain't doing your jobs, clearly.

yazenov

Like posting de-rails?

My only comment here, cause I haven't played it yet, is the sadness I feel seeing VS not having been the #1 Gamepass game. Y'all ain't doing your jobs, clearly.

It seems I hurt your feelings with my comments. Its called having an opinion. It's a mediocre game with a 63 metecritics score, that's what the majority of critics are saying, and I am not trolling.

I'll see myself out of here before more tears flow.

FunkMiller

Good for them. It's a decent, unpretentious little game that doesn't try to be all things to all men, and just does a good job at what it sets out to do. Fuckin' funny as well.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It seems I hurt your feelings with my comments. Its called having an opinion. It's a mediocre game with a 63 metecritics score, that's what the majority of critics are saying, and I am not trolling.

I'll see myself out of here before more tears flow.

Brother, it being at 1# doesn't mean it's AAA blockbuster, it's just a game that people are enjoying at the moment. I myself would give it a shot when it hits PS+ as like playing goofy games from time to time. Not every game should be taken seriously and it is trying some funny and new ideas that I appreciate in gaming.

Of course the starvation on Xbox helped it a lot, but that doesn't take credit from it. Critics are mostly noobs who can't even play games properly if story mode difficulty isn't available. Also being a critic as a job takes the charm and joy of gaming from their souls as they need to meet certain deadlines.

Rhazkul

Out of interest....what games do you like old high and mighty?

I like films, lots of films. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy a silly comedy movie every now and again.

I like games that make me think, with a serious or dark atmosphere. Baldurs Gate, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age, City Skylines, Darkwood, Rimworld...that kind of stuff.

Stupid brainless fun is fun sometimes...no doubt. But everything this dude makes is praised as the second coming. Remember the Szechuan sauce disaster? Or all those stupid Rick&Morty memes? Yikes....
I don't know why this dude is worshipped so much among Gen X'ers and redditors but those people want me to avoid anything this man creates because i refuse to associate myself with such people. First season of R&M was cool, i give him that...it was original and something different. But what followed (cult worship, depressive nihilism, hype etc) is just pure idiocracy. From the 30 minutes i could stomach (streamer + Justin Roiland = pure hell) - this game is no different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom