• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman (Episode 1) - Review Thread

Hey all, Hitman reviewer from GameSpot here. Just want to clarify that, while using disguises are part and parcel of Hitman, it doesn't mean that it's a mechanic that's above criticism.

Yes, you can accomplish some tasks without them, but by and large they are the key to resolving a lot of situations, and I grew tired of how much focus was placed on them here. I'm not condemning disguises in general, and frankly, my score was more influenced by the rushed quality of the game, the sometimes questionable AI, and of course, by the elements that I enjoyed.
As an honest question, how would you change the game then? What should future episodes do differently?

pcbrown

Neo Member
As an honest question, how would you change the game then? What should future episodes do differently?

I would appreciate fewer chokepoints and new means of interacting with NPCs that go beyond distracting them or stealing their clothes. Paris gets close to this, but there are many impenetrable layers within the setting for anyone who wants to play stealthily without donning a disguise.

The fact that disguises--one of many tactical opportunities in the game--are so dyed-in-the-wool is undeniable, but can it be used with greater tact? I really think it can. I don't blame anyone for liking it, but it became a drag for me after a while.

I want to be surprised by new things, not constantly reminded of the past--balanced frequency is important for any element in a game. Hitman needs to grow in new ways to be special, and it hasn't yet. Don't ditch tradition, but don't place all your bets on it either.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Can I ask the worst question - how long is it? I know it has a lot of replay value, but first time run is going to be roughly how long?

I kind of plan on only buying one episode. Assuming you can't buy episode 2 and skip 1 etc, so might as well get it anyway..

pcbrown

Neo Member
Can I ask the worst question - how long is it? I know it has a lot of replay value, but first time run is going to be roughly how long?

I kind of plan on only buying one episode. Assuming you can't buy episode 2 and skip 1 etc, so might as well get it anyway..

First run through each training mission takes about 15-20 minutes. My first run through Paris took a little over an hour, IIRC, though I exploited the AI wherever possible. When I attempted to explore the mission's numerous other avenues, Paris lasted anywhere from one to two hours, failures included.

There's a lot to do once you start to dip into contracts and escalation missions, but how much you enjoy them is tied to you're desire/willingness to repeatedly explore the same environment.

Foffy

Banned
Hey all, Hitman reviewer from GameSpot here. Just want to clarify that, while using disguises are part and parcel of Hitman, it doesn't mean that it's a mechanic that's above criticism.

Yes, you can accomplish some tasks without them, but by and large they are the key to resolving a lot of situations, and I grew tired of how much focus was placed on them here. I'm not condemning disguises in general, and frankly, my score was more influenced by the rushed quality of the game, the sometimes questionable AI, and of course, by the elements that I enjoyed.

Friend, I have to ask: how familiar are you with the IP in question?

Save for one game, this series has been a social stealth game. That means hiding in plain sight, not behind cover. I'm not going to powerbomb you further, but such a criticism really stems from not getting the intention and purpose of the game. That's like saying Dark Souls needs QTEs: it goes against the actually design and intention at play.

You might be assuming too much Metal Gear, here. :p

MUnited83

For you.
I would appreciate fewer chokepoints and new means of interacting with NPCs that go beyond distracting them or stealing their clothes. Paris gets close to this, but there are many impenetrable layers within the setting for anyone who wants to play stealthily without donning a disguise.

The fact that disguises--one of many tactical opportunities in the game--are so dyed-in-the-wool is undeniable, but can it be used with greater tact? I really think it can. I don't blame anyone for liking it, but it became a drag for me after a while.

I want to be surprised by new things, not constantly reminded of the past--balanced frequency is important for any element in a game. Hitman needs to grow in new ways to be special, and it hasn't yet. Don't ditch tradition, but don't place all your bets on it either.
I dont know about the release version, but the alpha allowed for quite a lot of suit only opportunities, although you would have to explore quite a bit to find a viable route. (Which is how it should be imo). If they made it outright impossible to complete the levels suit only that would be a bummer, but I dont think that is the case.

Foffy

Banned
I dont know about the release version, but the alpha allowed for quite a lot of suit only opportunities, although you would have to explore quite a bit to find a viable route. (Which is how it should be imo). If they made it outright impossible to complete the levels suit only that would be a bummer, but I dont think that is the case.

One of the challenges in Showstopper (the Paris level) is a Suit Only Silent Assassin run. This is not the first time the challenge shows up in the game, so it will surely be a staple for any content IO puts out that demands stealth. Unless they dabble in kill em all missions, you have nothing to worry about.

pcbrown

Neo Member
Friend, I have to ask: how familiar are you with the IP in question?

Save for one game, this series has been a social stealth game. That means hiding in plain sight, not behind cover. I'm not going to powerbomb you further, but such a criticism really stems from not getting the intention and purpose of the game. That's like saying Dark Souls needs QTEs: it goes against the actually design and intention at play.

You might be assuming too much Metal Gear, here. :p

I don't think it's fair to say that I don't understand the intention or purpose of the game. I got it, and my review is based on my perspective after finishing it and taking everything it offers into account, which includes hiding behind cover, distracting guards, and many other tools that go beyond disguises.

I have never finished a Hitman game before, but I have tried a few over the years. That said, Hitman is a game being sold to everyone, not just fans of the series. My opinion isn't invalidated because I'm not an expert.

MUnited83

For you.
One of the challenges in Showstopper (the Paris level) is a Suit Only Silent Assassin run. This is not the first time the challenge shows up in the game, so it will surely be a staple for any content IO puts out that demands stealth. Unless they dabble in kill em all missions, you have nothing to worry about.
Yeah , I dont doubt that's the case, but I would like to hear him elaborate on that. Right from memory I can remember about 6 or 7 different ways to approach it suit only in the alpha, and that was when the targets had way less routines than they do now.

Had to read the GameSpot review now you guys picked up on this criticism. I think it's an interesting one because they seem to have expanded the AI. And making the AI tougher on suspicious outfits could easily become a sort of invisible wall in the level design depending on what you're wearing. Where as in previous games the AI guards might have been a bit dumb in the face of absurdity.

If they couple that with challenge missions then I can see that being doubly frustrating for some people.

/devil's advocate

So what are we looking at pricing wise?

£39.99 for everything
---
£10.99 for tutorial and Paris in March
£10.99 for Italy in April
£10.99 for Morocco in May
£10.99 for Thailand in mid 2016
£10.99 for United States
£10.99 for Japan in late 2016
= £65.94

Hope the expansions are cheaper. Wonder if you'll be able to buy them and play them out of order if one of the episodes looks boring.

I appreciate they're keeping the last three episodes vague so they don't end up with inevitable delays. Even though Brad suggested 6 episodes over 6 months. I really don't understand why they're waiting until January for the disc release. I don't think they're confident they can get Japan done in good time which is weird.

The monthly episodes are £7.99.

https://buy.hitman.com/fullexp/gb/

And I read earlier that you can skip an episode, but you'll miss some story beats.

Kas

I'm thinking if getting the first episode tomorrow when my check comes, but I've never playing a Hitman game aside from Absolution, which I hated.

How does this fair for someone to just pick it up and play?

winstano

I'm thinking if getting the first episode tomorrow when my check comes, but I've never playing a Hitman game aside from Absolution, which I hated.

How does this fair for someone to just pick it up and play?

If you want to dip your toes into the game, the "Opportunities" gameplay mechanic is perfect for you. It'll flag up moments in the game that will essentially go "Hey! If you want to track this opportunity, it'll result in a really fucking cool assassination ending if you do it right". Of course, you'll still need to use a lot of stealth and cunning, but it's a great starting point.

pcbrown

Neo Member
Had to read the GameSpot review now you guys picked up on this criticism. I think it's an interesting one because they seem to have expanded the AI. And making the AI tougher on suspicious outfits could easily become a sort of invisible wall in the level design depending on what you're wearing. Where as in previous games the AI guards might have been a bit dumb in the face of absurdity.

If they couple that with challenge missions then I can see that being doubly frustrating for some people.

/devil's advocate

The only line from the review regarding disguises reads: "The reliance on disguises feels stifling at times, but this is alleviated somewhat by the myriad other options that are available once you dig deeper into a location."

Reading the review will tell you more than relying on bullet points next to the score.

Eurogamer advertising The Division in their review
SuYaIuN.gif

Kas

If you want to dip your toes into the game, the "Opportunities" gameplay mechanic is perfect for you. It'll flag up moments in the game that will essentially go "Hey! If you want to track this opportunity, it'll result in a really fucking cool assassination ending if you do it right". Of course, you'll still need to use a lot of stealth and cunning, but it's a great starting point.
I love stealth games, but Im just hoping this game is nowhere near as restrictive as Absolution was. I really wanted to like it, but it just sucked.

Karak

Ya I already did a couple with only 2 disguises and it wasn't strappingly difficult but I have played this since day one. There are also a number of secrets that you have to look for very carefully or you will miss them and they can allow you to travel through locations you otherwise wouldn't be able to. I was surprised how much my friends who have never played the title enjoyed it though. Its been great showing it to folks. Of course their favorite thing.
Disguises. Each to their own though.
More interesting is that this is just another time were we see this odd thing where those new to the industry can get weird information about games that seems more historical than factual about the present title. Not totally surprising though.

Eurogamer advertising The Division in their review
SuYaIuN.gif
LOL brother that was almost a second review hahaha

Ours is live: http://nextgengamingblog.com/blog/hitman-review/

Video review: https://t.co/oYgLplBaZH

I absolutely loved it, this map is ripe for experimentation and it truly felt like an old-school Hitman game. Beautiful stuff.

Agreed. My favorite bit was starting over in unique places. Takes awhile to unlock them but its a fucking gamechanger versus just walking in the front door.

I love stealth games, but Im just hoping this game is nowhere near as restrictive as Absolution was. I really wanted to like it, but it just sucked.
If Paris is an indication. Its no where near that level. Though I know a lot of reviewers didn't unlock some of the later stuff if you do, its pretty crazy what flexibility gets added to the title and once it goes live for everyone I think you will see more of it.

The only line from the review regarding disguises reads: "The reliance on disguises feels stifling at times, but this is alleviated somewhat by the myriad other options that are available once you dig deeper into a location."

Reading the review will tell you more than relying on bullet points next to the score.
You also mentioned how the NPC chatter reacted to you wearing an appropriate uniform. So I inferred that the AI was more responsive based on what you are wearing.

Foffy

Banned
I don't think it's fair to say that I don't understand the intention or purpose of the game. I got it, and my review is based on my perspective after finishing it and taking everything it offers into account, which includes hiding behind cover, distracting guards, and many other tools that go beyond disguises.

I have never finished a Hitman game before, but I have tried a few over the years. That said, Hitman is a game being sold to everyone, not just fans of the series. My opinion isn't invalidated because I'm not an expert.

You don't have to be an expert, but such a criticism runs deep that it's almost like complaining about shooting in a shooter. It kind of screams "not getting it". The example of Forza being used in this thread is an apt one. It's fine to not get it, but I just find that stated con awfully jarring.

Understand it's fine if you personally dislike that type of emphasis, and that's not my concern; twerk on. My concern is that you're drawing a con about a core feature of the IP in question. I don't see many games get docked for doing what they try to establish to do, unless there's a Mario review where somebody dislikes the emphasis on platforming. A far better criticism would be on the facets of the disguise system: it is too easy like Blood Money's or too bullshti like Absolution's? Your concern seemed emphasized on even the use of disguises.

I imagine they think the weekly live events will help ease the experience of holding onto locations a bit. If at the very least, this is their attempt at having players try and do everything in the locations, which even for a Hitman fan like me, I can't say I've ever done.
I appreciate that they're going to make an effort to keep players' interest, but I don't trust it will be enough. What was the last single player game you stuck to for 6+ months?

I have doubts and really would rather get all of the game in one chunk, but I lack the willpower to be patient in this case. So I'll reluctantly go along with it this once. Hopefully things will turn out alright.

Foffy

Banned
I appreciate that they're going to make an effort to keep players' interest, but I don't trust it will be enough. What was the last single player game you stuck to for 6+ months?

I have doubts and really would rather get all of the game in one chunk, but I lack the willpower to be patient in this case. So I'll reluctantly go along with it this once. Hopefully things will turn out alright.

ArmA II and ArmA III. But that's just me. :p

njr

I'm not too worried about these reviews, the older games never held up against critics and yet was still fun to play. The only reason there was a cause for concern was with Absolution since it barely played like a Hitman game.

Karak

You could also just buy it one level at a time. The cost per level length is insanely one sided on in the gamers favor for Paris.

winstano

There are no restrictions in how you carry out your plan in this. If you want to do something and you can figure out a way to do it, you can. I said in my review that it's a playground, and it absolutely is

Karak

Would you recommend that level over the entirely of Alekhine's Gun? ;)

Bahahaha wasn't at all expecting that!
Oh shit. Dude come on. Alekhines gun is a wonder.
I mean it. That game was fun to play just because it had so many issue hahahaa. And deep down there were some cool missions.

Aters

It seems to be a flawed but fun game, and I think it can get better with future episodes.
Too bad my backlog does not allow me to try this.

pcbrown

Neo Member
You don't have to be an expert, but such a criticism runs deep that it's almost like complaining about shooting in a shooter. It kind of screams "not getting it". The example of Forza being used in this thread is an apt one. It's fine to not get it, but I just find that stated con awfully jarring.

Understand it's fine if you personally dislike that type of emphasis, and that's not my concern; twerk on. My concern is that you're drawing a con about a core feature of the IP in question. I don't see many games get docked for doing what they try to establish to do, unless there's a Mario review where somebody dislikes the emphasis on platforming. A far better criticism would be on the facets of the disguise system: it is too easy like Blood Money's or too bullshti like Absolution's? Your concern seemed emphasized on even the use of disguises.

I appreciate this discussion, but my points are getting lost if you believe that my criticism is tantamount to saying that Forza has too much driving.

In my review, I elaborate: "The reliance on disguises feels stifling at times, but this is alleviated somewhat by the myriad other options that are available once you dig deeper into a location."

Clearly I am not condemning disguises at large. And, really, there's so much more to Hitman than disguises. If I said I don't like Hitman's broader elements--say, because it requires stealth and creativity--then you would have a point, but I'm talking about one part of a very complex game and being condemned by people who are cherry picking from bullet points at the end of my review.

IGN - 7.9

Lol something is seriously wrong with their rating system. This should just be an 8 I mean if you're not going to give it a .5, it just makes no sense.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I appreciate this discussion, but my points are getting lost if you believe that my criticism is tantamount to saying that Forza has too much driving.

In my review, I elaborate: "The reliance on disguises feels stifling at times, but this is alleviated somewhat by the myriad other options that are available once you dig deeper into a location."

Clearly I am not condemning disguises at large. And, really, there's so much more to Hitman than disguises. If I said I don't like Hitman's broader elements--say, because it requires stealth and creativity--then you would have a point, but I'm talking about one part of a very complex game and being condemned by people who are cherry picking from bullet points at the end of my review.

I dunno, man. It's the equivalent of criticising Max Payne for being too difficult without Bullet Time, y'know? The entire series is built around the disguise mechanic and 'hiding in plain sight'. Suit Only runs (or similar) are always difficult precisely because they forego the game's central mechanic.

While it isn't "above criticism", I think people are surprised that you felt the point deserved to be mentioned in the final summation since, in the body of your original review, you only gave it the briefest of nods, noting the game accommodated lots of other options anyway. The series' has always had an unabashed focus/reliance on social stealth, so it's a jarring criticism to level at it now, I think.

Ludens

Banned
How long is Episode 1? I saw some videos, and it seems around 1 hour, is possible or there was something missing?

This is getting utterly slammed on steam because of the DRM and performance and numerous other factors, is it really as bad as it is being made out to be?

It has single player DRM.

It's split single player into two modes. Online and offline. You can't use your offline saves if you play online and you seemingly can't use anything you unlock while offline when you go online either.

Lose connection when playing online? You'll be kicked back to the main menu from your game...

knerl

This is getting utterly slammed on steam because of the DRM and performance and numerous other factors, is it really as bad as it is being made out to be?

It seems to me the bad review are coming from those with poor performance.
Using DX11 at 1080p with the settings on Ultra a GTX 970 gives you between 40-65fps. For some at least. Pretty great if you ask me. It looks stunning. Lighting, shadows and scope for a game with this many npcs on screen at the same time is really impressive.

The DRM I would like to know more about. If it really is a "always online"-thingy I want to know what the hell they were thinking.

Jito

Banned

Server issues are ruining the game for me at the moment, it's that bad. Had two instances of the servers being down for half an hour, leaving me unable to play the game unless I wanted to start all over again in offline mode. It reeks of excessive DRM.

It's sad because the game is absolutely fantastic.

MaKTaiL

How long is Episode 1? I saw some videos, and it seems around 1 hour, is possible or there was something missing?
Beating it the first time (Tutorial+Paris) can take you 3h. After that you are encouraged to play it again for all the different opportunities to kill the Targets. That plus the Elusive Targets that are still going to be unlocked, Contracts mode and Escalation mode, you can get plenty of gameplay hours.

Server issues are ruining the game for me at the moment, it's that bad. Had two instances of the servers being down for half an hour, leaving me unable to play the game unless I wanted to start all over again in offline mode. It reeks of excessive DRM.

It's sad because the game is absolutely fantastic.

Yeah, if you're a Hitman fan this is the game you've been waiting for since Blood Money, but the online execution is a joke and I simply can't recommend anyone buy it in its current state.

It doesn't deserve to be supported at all.

Moff

hitman is about planning, which means you spend a lot of time in a level to figure out how everything works, that will take hours.
the perfect execution then only takes about 10 to 20 minutes. so a video of that might not be representative of the time you can actually spend with this game.

on top of that there are many other ways to solve a level than the one you originally found. the big paris mission really has a lot of these ways, more than any other hitman mission so far I'd say. then you have the challenges, which will not only make you explore all those ways but some of them make it a lot harder and will make you think and find completely different routes (I am thinking of suit only runs)
and even if you did all that, there are still the user and developer created contracts that will create new targets in the already existing levels, plus the escalation mode which is another variety of the contracts.

as someone who already played the beta (and knows 2 of the 3 missions) I have already spent 6 hours with this game, finding all the challenges and do some of the contracts will probably take me about 20, then I will have done everything.

if you simply want to play everything once I think will take you about 2 to 3 hours.

SaiyanRaoh

It has single player DRM.

It's split single player into two modes. Online and offline. You can't use your offline saves if you play online and you seemingly can't use anything you unlock while offline when you go online either.

Lose connection when playing online? You'll be kicked back to the main menu from your game...

Thank you for that! I don't play around with that Online only DRM bullshit. Yes, I fully realize that there is a *crippled* offline mode. I hope the game tanks. It's a shame too. I really wanted another Hitman.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't deserve to be supported at all.

I hope the game tanks.

I've only been able to complete one mission in online mode and have had to spend the majority of my time in offline. It's very frustrating. Having said that, I'm sorry to say I find these sentiments petulant and childish.

The game itself is good. There's room for improvement (human shields, briefcase, crates, bug fixing etc.) but the foundation is superb and should absolutely be supported. Rather than shun it and hope the worst for it, we need to let IO know that we are extremely unhappy with the connectivity system as it stands and they should look into alternatives as soon as possible. They have a lot riding on this so I have no doubt they'll listen.

My only real concern is that they may have the notion that once the servers are fixed that this set up will still be acceptable.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
......And we let them know how unhappy we are by not buying this shit. Nothing speaks more than our wallets.

....or we could just tell them via twitter, Reddit, their forums etc.? They've been actively listening more intently to community feedback since Absolution failed to meet SE's sales expectations. Just a thought.

thenexus6

Bahahaha wasn't at all expecting that!
Oh shit. Dude come on. Alekhines gun is a wonder.
I mean it. That game was fun to play just because it had so many issue hahahaa. And deep down there were some cool missions.

Sounds a little like Dead Island. I might get AG when it hits sub £10 eventually.

Top Bottom