• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Trailer (Sequel, PS4 has exclusive DLC, December 8, 2015)

dhonk

Is it wrong that I want to start playing this series only because I thought the reveal trailer was very stylish and amazing?

Thats the kind of flare and style the series is known for honestly. So no, perfectly valid reason to want to play it!!!

Moff

With their open letter and promise of a new Hitman game that would be more like Hitman, it was obvious that the last game affected sales and the series as a whole.

wasn't absolution still the hitman game that sold the most?
and I think the size of the levels was absolutely absolutions biggest and maybe even only problem. because all the other issues, like linearity, the stealthy hiding and the disguise system were direct consequences of the small levels.

Coflash

It's one thing to be skeptical, another to dismiss anything anyone has to say just because they had the opportunity to try the game before you.

You're being childish and you're simply not using a lick of sense if you think that way.

Resorting to insults already? Who dismissed anyone? By all means, if any of these people want to demonstrate how and why what they say is true, let me know, I'll spread the news around myself. Until then, it's largely anecdotal.

Forums are a funny place. If a popular game looked bad and I said it looked bad, a large group of people would take a giant dump on me while asking for evidence, ask me if "I had played it yet", and everything I'd have to say on the subject would be ignored or disregarded until we all had a chance to play it. Yet when I ask for evidence for the contrary, I'm supposed to take random people's opinions based on their own alleged experiences and what is subjectively good for a Hitman game?

The shoe is on the other foot now, and I'd like the same sort of thing. It's all everyone should ask for if they valued their money or what makes a better Hitman game. But nobody wants to hear about it, and suddenly, with the same lack of evidence, some people have already made their minds up with preorders instead of simply remaining skeptical. It's incredible, especially in 2015 with the events of late. If anything, I think they just don't like such things being pointed out to them. I assume so anyway, considering the spiteful replies.

If waiting for tangible evidence and holding off on preordering a game when dozens of questions are still left unanswered is being childish and not using any sense, then so be it. Sorry it causes you so much personal anguish.

Resorting to insults already? Who dismissed anyone? By all means, if any of these people want to demonstrate how and why what they say is true, let me know, I'll spread the news around myself. Until then, it's largely anecdotal.

Forums are a funny place. If a popular game looked bad and I said it looked bad, a large group of people would take a giant dump on me while asking for evidence, ask me if "I had played it yet", and everything I'd have to say on the subject would be ignored or disregarded until we all had a chance to play it. Yet when I ask for evidence for the contrary, I'm supposed to take random people's opinions based on their own alleged experiences and what is subjectively good for a Hitman game?

The shoe is on the other foot now, and I'd like the same sort of thing. It's all everyone should ask for if they valued their money or what makes a better Hitman game. But nobody wants to hear about it, and suddenly, with the same lack of evidence, people have already made their minds up with preorders. It's incredible. If anything, I think they just don't like such things being pointed out to them. Hence the spiteful replies.

If waiting for tangible evidence and holding off on preordering a game when dozens of questions are still left unanswered is being childish and not using any sense, then so be it. Sorry it causes you so much personal anguish.
So because an alpha tester has no proof he's an alpha tester other than his impressions, then it's merely anecdotal? Damn there goes the validity of all my alpha, beta, and press demo impressions.

People should have to show how and why they know things about a game for their impressions to be valid? That might be a tad hard here, considering there is a closed alpha and possibly a NDA involved

And you still haven't answered why impressions of a free alpha aren't valid
why anyone would buy into...the opinions of people who've had preferential treatment (getting to try it out for free) is beyond me.

Symphonia

Banned
Is it wrong that I want to start playing this series only because I thought the reveal trailer was very stylish and amazing?
Do it. The first three Hitman games are classics, and available in a HD collection. Absolution, whilst good in itself, just didn't feel like a Hitman game. HITMAN looks like the series is back to it's roots. I strongly recommend playing them all.

Coflash

And you still haven't answered why impressions of a free alpha aren't valid

Why should they be valid? They're impressions, sure, but how does anyone know if they're valid? Evidence. I think I've said it enough times now. If you need a reminder as to what this is all about (since it seems to be going off on a tangent), it's about preordering, and based on what we have actual evidence for at this present time, I think it's a bad idea to preorder it.

So because alleged alpha tester has no proof he's an alpha tester other than his impressions, then it's merely anecdotal?

Why wouldn't this be the case? If I had an alt account and logged in with it to spout positive/negative opinions based on nothing else people could see, people should take it into any sort of consideration?

Why should they be valid? They're impressions, sure, but how does anyone know if they're valid? Evidence. I think I've said it enough times now. If you need a reminder as to what this is all about (since it seems to be going off on a tangent), it's about preordering, and based on what we have actual evidence for at this present time, I think it's a bad idea to preorder it.

Why wouldn't this be the case? If I had an alt account and logged in with it to spout positive/negative opinions based on nothing else people could see, people should take it into any sort of consideration?
If that's your metric, then literally every impression from GAFfers and most every other forum are invalid. Should people start posting screenshots of their computer or TV screen to prove they've played the game they're talking about?

Edit: well at least regarding alphas, betas, and press demos. I write about games, and sometimes get access to alphas, betas, press demos, and early copies of indie games; are my impressions invalid because a game's not released yet?

What am I reading right now? So you think these impressions from veteran players and members of the hitmanforum.com, that were indeed confirmed to be invited by IO into their headquarters to play the game, were fabricated or something?

Or is this just based on your assumptions for the Alpha going down right now? You talk about needing evidence like it's some kind of freaking conspiracy. You're taking this so much more seriously than I am, yet I am the one who did in fact pre-order the game based solely on the impressions of normal forum goers and the commitment of the devs wanting to make the game better.

It's one thing to believe every words that is being said by Devs, but another entirely when it's from actual veteran players of the series giving their thoughts on it after having being given the opportunity to try the game themselves. You can be skeptical over this all you want, but dismissing impressions the way you do for the reasons you have given is straight up nonsense when NDA's are in place.

Moff

I feel hitman is the franchise where I can rely the least on reviews or even impressons by other players and fans. most reviewers and players simply don't even understand it, and even among fans the opinions are divided. I mean on the official board hitman 2 was the most popular one in a poll. I really don't like it honestly. so I absolutely can't rely on anyone before actually playing the game myself.

but so far i trust IO, they have been very open with where they are going and they recognised absolutions faults. and so far the alpha impressions definitely back up their intentions. and it's not like we have 0 evidence. we have already seen videos and clips of the huge Levels with tons of npcs, which was one of absolutions biggest flaw.

of course that is still no proof, and as I explained above I won't have proof until I have played it extensively myself, and I understand everyone who distrusts IO after Absolution, but I have a very good feeling about this game so far.

Coflash

If that's your metric, then literally every impression from GAFfers and most every other forum are invalid. Should people start posting screenshots of their computer or TV screen to prove they've played the game they're talking about?

Please stop making things up and presenting them as something I've said. This doesn't have to be a petty argument, I am well over having those.

They're not valid, but that doesn't make them invalid. It makes them unverified. Invalid implies they're totally made up or false. If anyone here is an advocate for purchasing things based on information they haven't personally verified, then I can only reiterate that purchasing things in such a manner isn't very smart or good for the hobby they enjoy.

If a long gameplay video surfaces, or if there's an open beta, I will be the first to prepurchase the game if what people are saying is true. But there's a lot more to it than a few people's perceptions of what would make a Absolution/Blood Money mash up worth purchasing.

Need 300 messages to become a Member. Let's not bash other people based on some arbitrary posting status, that's just stupid and petty
Well I'm shocked, I wouldn't have had any problems believing he had been retrograded to junior in the past. I did indeed judged him more harshly thinking he was a junior for a reason. Doesn't make what he's saying any less nonsensical to me.

Skux

I know right. FF7 might have had the megaton reveal, but on its own, this was the coolest trailer at the show.

The editing gives you just enough to go on so it took me a few tries to figure out everything.

- there's Strandberg, the guy responsible for the "Moroccan bank scandal" who gets a bomb planted in his luggage

- there's the seedy dude at the pool who kills a young woman and takes photos of her before he gets a bullet in the back of the head (there's a really sinister POV shot from the dead woman as the man stands up over her, and you can also see her reflection as he snaps photos)

XuuTWNa.png

- there's the fashion designer who gets sniped

- and there's the guy in the biohazard suit who takes a bottle of wine, and 47 poisons his drink

Doesn't make what he's saying any less nonsensical to me.
Wouldn't call it nonsensical, more...overly cautious? It's an understandable mindset, given AAA games in recent years, but then again I often play and buy indies that sometimes don't even have reviews so I'm tend to rely on user impressions, alpha and beta impressions, etc.

Have a soft spot for Hitman so I already preordered. Probably not the wisest decision since Absolution was a disaster and the only preorder I ever returned within 24 hours, but this seems like a return to form

Do it. The first three Hitman games are classics, and available in a HD collection. Absolution, whilst good in itself, just didn't feel like a Hitman game. HITMAN looks like the series is back to it's roots. I strongly recommend playing them all.

By "first 3" do you mean C47-Contracts? because C47 just is aweful imo.

Interfectum

It's going to be the sum of all things that make or break it. Like I said; plenty of gamers said Absolution was like Blood Money too. In this day and age, why anyone would buy into marketing or the opinions of people who've had preferential treatment (getting to try it out for free) is beyond me.

In the new Hitman, you are dropped at the front door of a gigantic sandbox. You are given two targets, some gadgets and weapons of your choosing and are told "now go kill them." There is nothing holding your hand or guiding you besides the occasional map related hint here and there. It is completely up to you how you tackle the situation. It's almost EXACTLY like Blood Money.

It feels like IO basically had this Absolution engine, read the hitmanforums over and over again and said... fuck it just give these fuckers Blood Money 2.

My opinion might not mean much but I have talked about Hitman on this forum for years and even made the OT for Absolution.

AHA-Lambda

I like how people completely forget Codename 47 even exists :p

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, yeah. I remember C47 being really ambitious, but I didn't really "get it" at the time. I only really came around to the series with Contracts.

It was the Seafood Massacre that sold me on the whole concept and its potential. There were so many ways to approach the level and very little like it on the market. The Hitman fantasy coupled with the emphasis on puzzle-solving was pretty new to me.

I mean, there was a lot wrong with C47 (fuckin' Jungle!), but as the foundation for a (I guess) new type of game, it blew my mind. H:SA then went and took it to the next level, but didn't quite perfect the gameplay, peppered as it was with missions without hits. Contracts, however, nailed everything: atmosphere, level design etc. So damn classy from top to bottom.

It was the Seafood Massacre that sold me on the whole concept and its potential. There were so many ways to approach the level and very little like it on the market. The Hitman fantasy coupled with the emphasis on puzzle-solving was pretty new to me.

I mean, there was a lot wrong with C47 (fuckin' Jungle!), but as the foundation for a (I guess) new type of game, it blew my mind. H:SA then went and took it to the next level, but didn't quite perfect the gameplay, peppered as it was with missions without hits. Contracts, however, nailed everything: atmosphere, level design etc. So damn classy from top to bottom.

I think the thing that sold me on Contracts more than anything else over SA was the fact that I could actually run without my cover being immediately blown. That and I was also a huuuuuge fan of the atmosphere. So dark, much rain. One of these days I'll have to go back to C47 and actually get myself past the hong kong levels.

Fuck the haters I loved Absolution, great fun start to finish.
The problem with that game is they claimed it was a Hitman game. Was more of a Ubisoft contract. Splinter Cell: Absolution. Sit behind things and never get seen. I like the recent Splinter Cell's, but we already have those and haven't had a Hitman game since Blood Money*, so, let Hitman be Hitman, thanks.

*Or, arguably.
Feel like they've been trying to make a third one of those for like the last five years, and apparently it was reannounced as Alekhine's Gun last month. I didn't give the first two much a chance on account of they seemed intimidatingly Russian. But I'm interested in seeing this third one hopefully, finally coming out. Could be alright.

TFW Agent 47's head will never be perfectly round no matter how far technology goes cuz Polygons
Tesselatehead. TM.

Omg guys THIS IS IT

Its the true Blood Money sequel weve all been waiting for!!!

A1fINeJ.gif

And Absolution was a horrible hitman game. Great some people liked it but its not a real Hitman game.

This this this! Glad they changed his face. I know he's supposed to be generic looking, to help him blend in but Blood Money had the best rendition of 47s face and the alpha indicates they'll follow suit.

Certainly wasn't at the time.

Can't comment on this, wasn't around adult-ish gaming at this time. Coming from later titles there are just so many undenyable bad game design decisions in there that I didn't find it enjoyable. The "checkpoint" system is even worse than Absolution. Sure it layed the foundation for later titles, it was groundbraking new at the time, and so on and so forth; that doesn't make it a good game however.

Moff

c47 had a poor/mixed reception when it was released. and I remember dropping the demo (yes kids, there were demos back then) after a few minutes.
but somehow I was fascinated, gave it another try and I fell in love. I would consider myself a hitman fan since the first hour.
however I still wouldn't necessarily disagree with someone who said it was awful back then. it had bad controls, most levels were terrible. it was poorly conceived in many ways. only very few missions showed how brilliant this franchise could be, traditions of the trade for instance, which is still one of my favorites of the whole franchise. but most straight out sucked.

I'm a bit worried that IO are going to wind up making a great new addition to the Hitman franchise but wind up being crucified due to the state of the game at launch*.

From what we've seen/heard I think the feature-complete game will launch with 3-4 full maps, based on the locations we saw in the announcement trailer:

• Paris (to be released in the Beta)
  • Turkish Embassy
  • Pool Party/ Photography Studio
  • Laboratory (possibly a trip back to the Delgado Vineyard?)
    The Delgado Crime Family are mentioned in the briefing for the Paris mission, and they did have a lab (of sorts) under their Vineyard in Blood Money.
Then throughout 2016 they'll add in more maps leading up to a December '16 launch of the full game (or maybe sooner).

*Not saying this is a bad thing, the idea of charging people full price for an incomplete (content wise) game instead of just releasing a finished game at a later date is pretty shitty to my mind, no matter how you slice it. Feels like another one of those shitty 'games as a service' deals.

That said, I'd bet this is coming down the line from Square rather than from the devs themselves, and I'd hate to see all of the goodwill they've earned by righting the wrongs of Absolution be crushed because Square wanted the game out of the door ASAP (if that is what's happening here).

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I'm a bit worried that IO are going to wind up making a great new addition to the Hitman franchise but wind up being crucified due to the state of the game at launch*.

From what we've seen/heard I think the feature-complete game will launch with 3-4 full maps, based on the locations we saw in the announcement trailer:

• Turkish Embassy
    The Delgado Crime Family are mentioned in the briefing for the Paris mission, and they did have a lab (of sorts) under their Vineyard in Blood Money.
Then throughout 2016 they'll add in more maps leading up to a December '16 launch of the full game (or maybe sooner).

*Not saying this is a bad thing, the idea of charging people full price for an incomplete (content wise) game instead of just releasing a finished game at a later date is pretty shitty to my mind, no matter how you slice it. Feels like another one of those shitty 'games as a service' deals.

That said, I'd bet this is coming down the line from Square rather than from the devs themselves, and I'd hate to see all of the goodwill they've earned by righting the wrongs of Absolution be crushed because Square wanted the game out of the door ASAP (if that is what's happening here).

I'll be surprised if it launches with 4 maps and if the full game ends up having more than 8. Blood Money had like 9 levels, and each level in the new game is supposed to be 5 times the size of the bigger Blood Money maps

I'll be surprised if it launches with 4 maps and if the full game ends up having more than 8. Blood Money had like 9 levels, and each level in the new game is supposed to be 5 times the size of the bigger Blood Money maps
The alpha tester said he played the Paris level for 5 hours, still discovering new thing. Even if the game launches with five levels, that's like 20+ hours of gameplay right there considering how replayable Hitman games can be

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The alpha tester said he played the Paris level for 5 hours, still discovering new thing. Even if the game launches with five levels, that's like 20=+ hours of gameplay right there considering how replayable Hitman games can be

Not everyone is going to be replaying levels a hundred times. 4 maps at launch will be a disaster and they will be crucified for it if they are charging $60.

Pachimari

Thats the kind of flare and style the series is known for honestly. So no, perfectly valid reason to want to play it!!!

In gonna try and complete Hitman: Codename 47 when I get home. I have so many good memories of it, and I remember it being my country's first big IP.

I never really played Silent Assassin and Contracts unfortunately but Blood Money were really neat. The game have always been too hard for me though.

By the way, do the guards drag away dead bodies in bags in the new HITMAN, like they did in Blood Money?

DOWN

Banned
Not everyone is going to be replaying levels a hundred times. 4 maps at launch will be a disaster and they will be crucified for it if they are charging $60.
The $60 pays for the full campaign that will release episodically. That's like saying people who bought into a Telltale pass should crucify them for only getting the first episode they paid for at launch.

Moff

The $60 pays for the full campaign that will release episodically. That's like saying people who bought into a Telltale pass should crucify them for only getting the first episode they paid for at launch.

you can pay telltale games episode by episode, that makes all the difference.
hitman will catch a lot of heat for that payment model. and rightly so.

you can pay telltale games episode by episode, that makes all the difference.
hitman will catch a lot of heat for that payment model. and rightly so.
Not on PC. Per-episode purchases are only available on mobile and consoles
Telltale games on PC are a single purchase for all episodes

Moff

Not on PC. Per-episode purchases are only available on mobile and consoles
Telltale games on PC are a single purchase for all episodes

pc sales are like 10% usually? I don't think many people will care.
this will definitely be brought up in reviews.

and although I really dig the concept with hitman, I personally don't want it to be successful either. I don't want every game to release like that in the future.

• Turkish Embassy

So don't buy it in December. Wait till it is "content complete" and then get it. The people who are willing to preorder or put the $60 down day one want to be there ground level at the start and take part in helping the game grow and develop from the communities feedback.

hichanbis

Banned

• Turkish Embassy

I think the trailer shows 6 locations already (you forgot Marrakech for example)
I bet they'll release the game with those 6 locations, then add another 6 throughout time (let's say 1 location per month). 12 missions in the end would be more than decent (BM had 11 real missions), especially considering the size of the levels they're targeting.

As for the preordering discussion, I think people mostly preorder this game to gain access to the beta (then up to you to cancel the preorder if you want)

hichanbis

Banned
Where are his goddamned gloves?

Seems like they removed the gloves, which is weird for a hitman.
On the other hand, black gloves don't go well with all the disguises so I guess it's more "realistic".

Ideally 47 should have the gloves by default as part of his basic suit.
Then remove them if they don't apply to the disguise he's wearing, making him careful not to touch anything when disguised (which would be a very interesting feature).

Top Bottom