• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

That OT title
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
banter heya GIF by CBBC
Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office
^2

Hawk269

Did not see this OT until now. Going to post what I posted in the other thread.

I have about 6 hours into the Series X version and it has been fantastic. For those on consoles, give the Quality/30fps mode a try. It is really good and even though it is 30fps, it still feels pretty smooth and for this type of game it works really well. Granted 60fps feels great, but i think the Quality/30fps is the way to go for this game.

Luipadre

I have about 6 hours into the Series X version and it has been fantastic. For those on consoles, give the Quality/30fps mode a try. It is really good and even though it is 30fps, it still feels pretty smooth and for this type of game it works really well. Granted 60fps feels great, but i think the Quality/30fps is the way to go for this game.

yeah i switched from balanced to quality. Game just looks too good on OLED and that HDR... *chefs kiss*

Thebonehead

Banned
Native dualsense support on PC by the way for anyone wondering.

Just make sure you first disable playstation controller support in the steam controller settings.

I tend to play M+K on PC, but may give The PS5 controller a go for comparison

Im playing with the Balanced Mode enabled (requires 120fps vrr TV), and it's reallllly good

Krathoon

I got sorted into Ravenclaw. Nerd. I was actually sorted in Gyriffindor on the Wizarding World site.

The game does this nice thing of letting you know the DLC is activated.

Flabagast

Oh god I actually have a place to discuss this game!? Thank youu... it's pretty amazing atm, a few hours in. I'm blown away.

Started playing on Fidelity Raytrace mode on PS5 and it looks beautiful.
did you compare it with performance in terms of visuals ? it is not too choppy ?

Freeman76

This game is mesmerisingly good. The way when you go out exploring and then come back to castle you feel like you're back at home is lovely, so well crafted.

Me, my wife and my daughter are all playing it as different houses, we have all had a few different sidequests so it may even be worth multiple playthroughs?

Hawk269

Im playing with the Balanced Mode enabled (requires 120fps vrr TV), and it's reallllly good
I only played in my living room where my Samsung 4k is limited to 4k/60fps with VRR....my wife wanted to watch me play but did not want to go upstairs to my game room where i have a 4k/120/VRR Samsung QD-OLED set...so going to try that later today.

This game is mesmerisingly good. The way when you go out exploring and then come back to castle you feel like you're back at home is lovely, so well crafted.

Me, my wife and my daughter are all playing it as different houses, we have all had a few different sidequests so it may even be worth multiple playthroughs?
No one seems to have beaten it yet so we don't know if it has NG+ or not

Freeman76

I've played for 13 hours just soaking it all in, havent unlocked flying yet assuming thats through MSQ? Roughly how far through the main story does that unlock does anyone know? Halfway ish I would imagine? Games like this are few and far between I want to long it out for as long as possible

Hawk269

If you have OCD and have to find everything, this game is going to be like crack! So many things to explore and find and a ton of collectible items. I am one of those people that if there is icon on a menu with a number count on it, I make it a mission to find and fill that counter. lol.

As someone who is sympathetic to being compassionate and supporting trans rights, it’s sad to see the brigading and lies about the game reviews being bought and the game being a piece of shit, because it’s absolutely excellent. Blown away by how much they nail the atmosphere and gameplay, and the game feels excellent at 30fps quality on ps5

Great game. Bummer civil discussion about it is impossible.

Started playing at 11pm last night and played for like four straight hours. Had to pull myself away and get some shut eye. The game is amazing and I can see myself spending hours upon hours just exploring the castle and grounds.

I've had to do some tinkering with the HDR settings, and I've almost got it right, but it still seems a bit foggy in daylight.

D23

Fuck im already clocking 10 hours in wtf. I never play game so much like this before in recent memory. It just keeps getting better!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Just finished the introduction. First impressions:

• Performance on PC with 4090. Everything set to max, RT on, DLSS 3.0 on... smooth sailing. Game looks great, no stutters etc.
  • It's a console game so I can't aim. I can't target seagulls with my magic wand. Bullshit.
  • British accent is annoying AF but that's to be expected.
  • Transitions between in-game and cinematics are jarring AF. Do it in engine or don't do it at all.
  • My character is a typical SONY action protagonist. Talks all the fucking time and tells me what to do.
  • To enter you have to solve the puzzle... and then the puzzle is solved by my character in cinematic, great.

Last edited:

john2gr

Make sure to disable RTAO and RT Shadows. There are major pop-in shadows with RT Shadows (its implementation is not that good, the game does not fall back to the rasterized shadows in order to prevent these awful pop-in issues). RTAO is broken at the moment (notice the screen-space AO artifacts even when RTAO is enabled. That shouldn't be happening). The good news here is that the game looks amazing, even without these two RT effects (and runs better).

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Read the OT topic. I laughed. Great job on this thread. Hopefully this tells developers if you put out a good game at the right time, it will sell.

They have absolutely nailed this. I can't remember the last time a game made as strong an opening impression as this. The attention to detail and world are spectacular. It's actually incredibly progressive and inclusive with its representation as well, without it feeling forced. The irony in all the people that supposedly care about this stuff missing out is palpable. To paraphrase Henry Jones Snr - maybe they should spend more time playing games instead of burning them.

SJRB

Gold Member
So when do you get the broom? I really want to explore but I feel the game keeps railroading me into main quests.

Flabagast

What is the best acted VA ? Male or female (or voice 1 voice 2, I don't care) ?

in those kind of games one voice is always vastly superior to the other.

Timexy

Neo Member
If you have OCD and have to find everything, this game is going to be like crack! So many things to explore and find and a ton of collectible items. I am one of those people that if there is icon on a menu with a number count on it, I make it a mission to find and fill that counter. lol.

But since they're not marked on the map you kinda forget about them while exploring and your OCD won't trigger as easily, probably will only after you have nothing else to do, unlike most open world games.

Kudos for that.

So when do you get the broom? I really want to explore but I feel the game keeps railroading me into main quests.

During your second day at Hogwarts—that is, once you've returned to the common room to rest, not just when a day-night cycle occurs—and have completed the quest Jackdaw's Rest, you'll receive the quest "Flying Class", where it's off to the Flying Class Lawn in the Bell Tower Wing of Hogwarts. Here, you'll get a little flying lesson from Madam Kogawa and a tour of the castle by air if you choose to accept Everett Clopton's offer—this gets some points deducted from your house, but it's well worth it for the aerial sequence.

After you've finished the class, you can head to Spintwitch's Sporting Needs in Hogsmeade to buy a broom. This store is closed the first time you head there, but after the class you can grab yourself a broom of your choosing for 600 gold. If you don't have enough gold, remember that you can sell gear or get it by looting containers, camps, and treasure vaults. Buying a broom also unlocks the Flight Test quest with Imelda Reyes at the Quidditch Pitch. Completing these can get you upgrades for your broom to improve your flying experience.

GymWolf

I want to buy the deluxe edition to play now but i have already a standard edition preordered and i can't cancel the order...

Is anyone interested in a 30 euros steam key by any chance? it's way less than what they ask for a standard edition on the cheapest key shop.

Freeman76

Not sure how you feel railroaded, I've been exploring all over the place and after 12 hours still havent got far enough in main quests to unlock the broom. Its an open game, you can do what you want really.

Top Bottom